Author Topic: The American Idol Thread  (Read 9890 times)

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The American Idol Thread
« Reply #150 on: Feb 27, 2004 at 03:19 PM »

oh my gosh, you haven't even seen group 2 yet. Ick.

Group 3 is the one to watch out for. Almost all of them were amazing.

i haven't seen group 2 yet... but yeah. i saw the song list. very disappointed in camille's choice. double ick!  :)

haven't seen group 3's song list yet... but i did hear this is the best (and toughest) group daw.   :o

Offline diesel

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: Feb 27, 2004 at 03:49 PM »
fantasia definitely sounded like macy gray.  jennifer definitely looked like macy gray.  i don't know what's so different about them.  but they're good.

i was also in favor of katie webber. with that bad choice of song, her voice and performance still stood out.  

i think the guy who sang "walking in memphis" was every inch a pop idol.  too bad he didn't make it pala.

most sang "not-so-pop" songs  or songs that are three times their age so they don't fit their energetic personalities!  

dyan magaling ang pinoy.  pinoys usually pick good materials in competitions.
how can anyone love a pebble in their shoe?

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: Feb 27, 2004 at 04:14 PM »

dyan magaling ang pinoy.  pinoys usually pick good materials in competitions.

well... just wait till thursday... camile will probably disappoint you. (i sure as hell was.)  :(
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2004 at 04:16 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #153 on: Feb 27, 2004 at 04:35 PM »
kaya pala... who was (Donnie Williams') replacement? george huff di ba?

Yup. I think the producers had little choice on who to replace him with from the reject room, since if they had replaced Donnie with a non-African-American, the ACLU will probably take it as an opportunity to scream "racism."

i was also in favor of katie webber. with that bad choice of song, her voice and performance still stood out.  

She's still my #1 choice for a wild card slot. But I think the wild cards will be predominantly male, to balance out the top 12 a little better.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Feb 27, 2004 at 04:47 PM »
Yup. I think the producers had little choice on who to replace him with from the reject room, since if they had replaced Donnie with a non-African-American, the ACLU will probably take it as an opportunity to scream "racism."She's still my #1 choice for a wild card slot. But I think the wild cards will be predominantly male, to balance out the top 12 a little better.

that's right. but if you ask me this a pretty diverse mix right here already... (ethnicity-wise, i mean)  ;D

the gender thing does bother me tho... so far none of the guys have really blown me away. (but then i've only seen group 1 perform) i thought someone like erskine would... but he just flat out disappointed me. ("open arms"? what the...?)

ur right... i'm guessing a lot of the wildcards might be male... to even things out.  ::)
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2004 at 04:52 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: Feb 27, 2004 at 04:52 PM »
ur right... i'm guessing a lot of the wildcards might be male... to even things out.  ::)

Unless they got a bit of South African Idol in them this year. Remember? Only Jacques and Wafeeq made it to the Top 12!  ;)

=====

Interesting fact I discovered in Rolling Stone: In New York, although 11,000 people showed up, only 100 got to go in front of Randy, Paula and Simon.

And Scatgirl was one of them.  ;D

I wonder how they screened out the other 10,900 in a matter of hours?
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2004 at 04:56 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Feb 27, 2004 at 04:56 PM »
Interesting fact I discovered in Rolling Stone: In New York, although 11,000 people showed up, only 100 got to go in front of Randy, Paula and Simon.

And Scatgirl was one of them.  ;D

I wonder how they screened out the other 10,900 in a matter of hours?

i don't think it was a matter of hours... i think the producers (and there are a lot of them...) went there a couple of days ahead. i seem to remember seeing a "tonight show with jay leno" last year where auditions were being held... without randy, paula and simon there (ryan was there tho.)
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2004 at 09:30 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline diesel

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Feb 27, 2004 at 05:19 PM »
well... just wait till thursday... camile will probably disappoint you. (i sure as hell was.)  :(

lucky camille!!!  ;D

Offline diesel

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Feb 27, 2004 at 05:20 PM »
She's still my #1 choice for a wild card slot. But I think the wild cards will be predominantly male, to balance out the top 12 a little better.

oh yes, she's my bet too.  but she should have sung her "i wanna dance with somebody" instead.
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2004 at 05:21 PM by diesel »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Feb 27, 2004 at 09:36 PM »
lucky camille!!!  ;D

lucky indeed!! being included in the WORST group definitely helped her odds IMMENSELY!  :P

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Mar 01, 2004 at 12:02 AM »
lucky indeed!! being included in the WORST group definitely helped her odds IMMENSELY!  :P

When you think about it, the Lauryn Hill comments still refer to her audition in Hawai'i. And they didn't say she was GOOD that particular night, but that she had the most potential.

I seem to see a lot of online buzz for Jasmine Trias in Group 4. Can you imagine if 2 Pinays actually make it into the Top 12? Anyone think they can actually win AMERICAN IDOL?

If there were a PINOY IDOL, can you see yourselves voting for a Caucasian who made it into the finals?

Or are we more enlightened than that?  :D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: Mar 01, 2004 at 02:37 AM »
When you think about it, the Lauryn Hill comments still refer to her audition in Hawai'i. And they didn't say she was GOOD that particular night, but that she had the most potential.

I seem to see a lot of online buzz for Jasmine Trias in Group 4. Can you imagine if 2 Pinays actually make it into the Top 12? Anyone think they can actually win AMERICAN IDOL?

If there were a PINOY IDOL, can you see yourselves voting for a Caucasian who made it into the finals?

Or are we more enlightened than that?  :D

can they actually win when the voters are predominantly caucasians or black? truthfully? probably not (but i can still hope, can't i?)

and anyway there's already a white american idol, there's also a black one... why not an asian one? (go william hung! LOL... just kidding.)

yep. been hearing the buzz about jasmine... hope she makes it.  ;)

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: Mar 01, 2004 at 07:22 AM »
Anyone think they can actually win AMERICAN IDOL?

No to both questions. ;D

Hiram ng Pop Idol mo! ;D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Mar 03, 2004 at 07:31 PM »
I read somewhere that there's gonna be an AI special? Uncut, Untalented something....and Will Hung will be there? Totoo ba to? ;D

I just watched this today. There are still some amusing bad auditions they hadn't shown, mostly from when Paula was sick.

Also performing live in the studio were Hung, the army girl, the "big girls rock" Hawai'ian girl with a ukelele, the over-the-top "America The Beautiful" African-American, and Scatgirl.

Biggest disappointment: Scatgirl didn't scat! What was the point of her being there, then? She just sang a totally off-key "Neutron Dance." And William Hung isn't as funny without his expressions when the judges are critiquing him.

=====

There's a feature on Camile Velasco in Ricky Lo's column in today's Philippine Star. Her actual top 32 performance is on tomorrow night at 8PM on StarWorld.

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Mar 04, 2004 at 12:46 AM »
Kailan palalabas yung World Idol?  Is it from the same producers and does it have identical format with American Idol?
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2004 at 12:49 AM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Mar 04, 2004 at 01:22 AM »
I just watched this today. There are still some amusing bad auditions they hadn't shown, mostly from when Paula was sick.

Also performing live in the studio were Hung, the army girl, the "big girls rock" Hawai'ian girl with a ukelele, the over-the-top "America The Beautiful" African-American, and Scatgirl.

Biggest disappointment: Scatgirl didn't scat! What was the point of her being there, then? She just sang a totally off-key "Neutron Dance." And William Hung isn't as funny without his expressions when the judges are critiquing him.

=====

There's a feature on Camile Velasco in Ricky Lo's column in today's Philippine Star. Her actual top 32 performance is on tomorrow night at 8PM on StarWorld.

and the downward spiral begins for mr. hung. ::)

i saw the ricky lo column this morning and for a minute there... i thought the HUGE pic of camile was a file photo of a young vivian velez... LOL.

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Occasionally, I'm callous and strange.
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Mar 04, 2004 at 03:43 AM »
 just finished watching AI: uncut etc. etc.

I loooooove army girl! i loved her in her audition and i think she was great in her performance in this show. She had more stage presence, personaliity and star quality than any of those finalists in group 2. I hope she makes wildcard (along with scooter girl) 'cause i think a stint on this  show can do something to "cure" her broadway-ness.

I also like ukelele girl. BIG GIRLS ROCK! Her little ditty was funny and good natured. I hope she pursues her music career. She can make it as a songwriter or maybe even as a jazzy type of singer.

I will never ever be able to listen to she bangs without thinking of william hung. if i were him though i'd jump on that record contract thing. His 15 minutes are almost up and pretty soon he'll be as happenin' as the macarena. Strike while the iron is hot.

puppet girl was hilarious and scat girl should have scat-ed.  ;D

mr.big boy world idol was a two part show where the winners of the various idol franchises competed. It was kinda like eurovision with a bit more talent. It had the same producers and each country had a representative judge.  read back through this thread for more details since we discussed this in depth a few weeks ago when it aired on star world.
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2004 at 03:44 AM by acidburn »
I wish I was lonely, Instead of just only...

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: Mar 04, 2004 at 04:05 AM »
just finished watching AI: uncut etc. etc.

I loooooove army girl! i loved her in her audition and i think she was great in her performance in this show. She had more stage presence, personaliity and star quality than any of those finalists in group 2. I hope she makes wildcard (along with scooter girl) 'cause i think a stint on this  show can do something to "cure" her broadway-ness.

I also like ukelele girl. BIG GIRLS ROCK! Her little ditty was funny and good natured. I hope she pursues her music career. She can make it as a songwriter or maybe even as a jazzy type of singer.

I will never ever be able to listen to she bangs without thinking of william hung. if i were him though i'd jump on that record contract thing. His 15 minutes are almost up and pretty soon he'll be as happenin' as the macarena. Strike while the iron is hot.

puppet girl was hilarious and scat girl should have scat-ed.  ;D

mr.big boy world idol was a two part show where the winners of the various idol franchises competed. It was kinda like eurovision with a bit more talent. It had the same producers and each country had a representative judge.  read back through this thread for more details since we discussed this in depth a few weeks ago when it aired on star world.

i really do think army girl was "dismissed" much too quickly... i hope she gets a call back for the wild card show as well.  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2004 at 04:07 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Ikiru

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #168 on: Mar 04, 2004 at 11:32 AM »
This just in from a friend in the US: (spoiler ba ito, kumbaga? Wagnamanplisss...)

Jasmine Trias also makes it to the Finals!

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Mar 04, 2004 at 12:13 PM »
This just in from a friend in the US: (spoiler ba ito, kumbaga? Wagnamanplisss...)

[color=C0C0E0]Jasmine Trias also makes it to the Finals![/color]

ya know what?... your spoilers won't get deleted if you use spoiler tags. (like what i did with the quote above.  ;))

also you can use color=EEEEEE or DDDDDD (depending on the color of the box your message will fall into) to "conceal" the spoiler.  ::)
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2004 at 12:17 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline acyl_halide

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Mar 04, 2004 at 02:41 PM »
JASMINE TRIAS & JOHN STEVENS MAKE IT TO THE FINALS!!!!

Here's the list of contestants for the wild card show:

And they are...

1. Jennifer Hudson:
2. Leah LaBelle
3. Elizabeth LeTendre
4. Lisa Leuschner
5. Jon Peter Lewis
6. Katie Webber:
7. Eric Yoder: He wants to be Clay so badly.
8. Matt Metzger
9. Marque Lynch
10. Susie Vulaca
11. George Huff
12. Tiara Purifoy

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Mar 04, 2004 at 06:31 PM »
My choices for the 4 Wild Card slots:

1. KATIE WEBBER

2. Leah LaBelle

3. Susie Vulaca

4. John Peter Lewis OR Matt Metzger - doesn't matter which one, just to make the finalists 1/4 male.

=====

Having just watched the Group 4 performance show, Jasmine Trias is definitely a much better singer than Camile Velasco. Her breathing is a bit off, though, making the pauses within the song awkward. Still, it's amazing to have 2 Filipinas already in the Top 12, while the other non-Americans (Leah LaBelle, Susie Vulaca) need to try again for a wild card slot.

I still don't think they stand a chance in hell of actually winning American Idol... but we can hope.  ::)

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Mar 04, 2004 at 06:38 PM »
i'll reserve my predictions until i've heard them all... but i am glad katie, john, lisa, leah and jennifer are back.  ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2004 at 06:39 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Mar 04, 2004 at 07:06 PM »
Who i want to win wild card:

1. Leah Labelle
2. Katie Webber
3. Lisa Leuschner
4. Jon Peter Lewis

If they all get in i'll be a happy camper. I might even tune in to watch that barry manilow episode.  ;D

I'm predicting Jon Peter Lewis or Matt Metzger will win the audience vote. If JPL wins the audience vote i think simon will choose matt to get into finals because he fits in to his "POP IDOL" image (that and simon is sooooo gay  ;D jk). Leah Labelle is bound to be chosen too since the judges unanimously agreed that she has great potential.  

I'm glad keown isn't in the wild card but i'm sad brianna and scooter girl aren't. Brianna would have rocked out and added an edge to the contestants and scooter girl would have been fun.

IKIRU please read the spoiler posting guide here:http://www.pinoydvd.com/yabbse/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=3517. And a good rule of thumb for reality show threads here is "if you're not sure, spoiler tag it" . It's better to be safe than sorry.
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2004 at 07:24 PM by acidburn »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Mar 04, 2004 at 07:14 PM »
...but i'm sad brianna and scooter girl aren't. Brianna would have rocked out and added an edge to the contestants and scooter girl would have been fun.

bri? fan ka pala ni brianna? (i dunno... i think choosing such an "off" song for her... made me think "she's not ready for this." geez! norah jones??!!) :o

yeah... it saddens me that scooter girl isn't there... dang!  :'(
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2004 at 07:15 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Mar 04, 2004 at 07:27 PM »
i liked her audition and her attitude. But yeah, choosing that safe song for her group 2 performance was her great mistake. If i were her, i would have rocked out with a melissa etheridge or Alanis song just to separate myself from the other people. Even if it isn't pop, the audience is bound to remember her. Sayang talaga.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Mar 04, 2004 at 08:17 PM »
So what's the verdict, gang? Just how bad did you think Group Two was?  ::)

=====

"American Idol in Hawai'iiiiii..."  ;D  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2004 at 08:34 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: Mar 04, 2004 at 08:59 PM »
surprised how sucky the Roman Brothers were really..

and how the hell did the fat white guy get into the finals.. he wasn't too good, imo.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: Mar 04, 2004 at 09:31 PM »
surprised how sucky the Roman Brothers were really..

and how the hell did the fat white guy get into the finals.. he wasn't too good, imo.

yup... the roman brothers really sucked BIG time!! (talent-wise... they have it... i just don't think they are ready for it "mentally"... they always seem to do bad "under pressure".)

uh... i thought matt was pretty spot on... don't get me wrong, he definitely wasn't "star material" (yet) but he wasn't terrible at all. in fact, i can name the only three contestants that deserved to be there... lisa, camile and matt. (if i was a tad more forgiving... brianna could squeeze herself in there.)

i was so disappointed with the rest... they pretty much "murdered" each of their songs...  :-X

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Mar 04, 2004 at 09:35 PM »
i liked her audition and her attitude. But yeah, choosing that safe song for her group 2 performance was her great mistake. If i were her, i would have rocked out with a melissa etheridge or Alanis song just to separate myself from the other people. Even if it isn't pop, the audience is bound to remember her. Sayang talaga.

he he he... she'd probably made one helluva impression if she sang "i kissed a girl."  ::)

seriously tho... i think she should've done a pat benatar number... her voice is more suited to pat's range. ;)