Author Topic: DVD's/VCD's  in Chinatown  (Read 25486 times)

Offline Steel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • for Truth and Justice...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:DVD's/VCD's  in Chinatown
« Reply #60 on: Mar 25, 2003 at 07:37 AM »
Astrovision is one of the cheaper sources of R3 DVDs.  You could go for R1s or R2s if you really need the titles, but these also cost more.  If you're shopping on a tight budget, you might want to post in the Marketplace.  There may be some members with used copies willing to sell the titles you're looking for.

Good luck! Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Offline tien tsai

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Mar 25, 2003 at 09:13 AM »
Astrovision is one of the cheaper sources of R3 DVDs.  You could go for R1s or R2s if you really need the titles, but these also cost more.  If you're shopping on a tight budget, you might want to post in the Marketplace.  There may be some members with used copies willing to sell the titles you're looking for.

Offline tien tsai

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Mar 25, 2003 at 09:16 AM »

That's ok!! Thanks a lot!

Offline Mighty_Mouse

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Mar 25, 2003 at 03:54 PM »
hi, would any of you know if there are any Shu Qi movies available in ongpin? if there are, can you name some of the titles? tnx  :)

i'm actually looking for the following movies:
Storm Riders
City of Glass
Sex and Zen 2
Iron Sister
Viva Erotica

Offline Steel

• Collector
  • for Truth and Justice...
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Mar 25, 2003 at 04:31 PM »
Shu Qi's more recent movies include Gorgeous (with Jackie Chan), The Transporter (with the french guy) and So Close (with Vicki Zhao).

Offline alaeh

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
how to get to binondo
« Reply #65 on: Mar 25, 2003 at 05:17 PM »
anyone kind enough to give me directions or the buses/jeepneys that I have to take to get to Binondo/Chinatown? I want to check out the shops mentioned here. btw, I'll  be coming from Ortigas.

btw, what are the average prices of the VCDs/DVDs there?

Thanks in advance.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Mar 25, 2003 at 05:38 PM »
In my case,  I came from Vito Cruz along Taft Ave. and I took an FX going to Sta. Cruz. I got off near the Prudential Bank bldg. In Sta, Cruz and just walked through Escolta all the way to Ongpin! :o I think there's a better way but it was a fun and interesting adventure anyway!

Where in Ortigas are you exactly? :)
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2003 at 05:42 PM by rmn »

Offline alaeh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Mar 25, 2003 at 09:44 PM »
galing megamall.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Mar 26, 2003 at 07:59 AM »
galing megamall.

Hmmm...help anyone? :) ???

Offline tien tsai

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Mar 26, 2003 at 08:55 AM »
galing megamall.

Hmmm...help anyone? :) ???

Sakay ka ng QUiapo ng FX sa likod ng Megamall(the side there there is Superbowl).  Baba ka ng Recto(just before the FX crosses recto).  Sakay ka ng Jeep or FX na Divisoria.  Go down at Alonzo.  Then tawid ka to the other side of Recto(corner Alonzo).  tapos diretsuhin mo lang ang Alonzo(may palengke doon lalagpas ka pa doon).  The first intersection there is Soler St. lagpas ka pa doon.  The next intersection is Ongpin St.  Just before Ongpin St, sa left side mo, nandun ang Anjieson.  halata naman kasi sa lob kita agad mga VCDs niya.  When you reach Ongpin, turn left naman and go straight.  Sa Left side din nandun ang Mei-Ah.  Haalata din yun kasi may mga VCDs din naka dispay.  

hope this helps

Offline DL1

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Mar 26, 2003 at 12:10 PM »
No matter where you are, before getting to Ongpin, you should first know how to get to Recto LRT.

To get to LRT Recto:
For people coming from Quezon City, ride a Jeep or FX at Quezon Ave. going to Quiapo. Get down at Morayta. Morayta is just after UST. There's a big Mcdonalds with a waiting shed. Take the overpass and walk a little bit. Nearby is the jeepney "station" going to Divisoria. Ride the Divisoria jeep which will pass thru Recto LRT.

For those with access to LRT (Not MRT):
Just ride the LRT and get down at Doroteo Jose Station and walk a little bit towards Recto. You can either walk or ride a Divisoria jeep.

Now that everybody's at LRT Recto, you should get to T Alonzo. This street is the third street from LRT. From LRT if you walk, you'll pass T. Mapua Steet (this is the Funeraria Paz St.), Then a small street (i don't know the name), then you'll see a market palengke named Aranque. The street beside Aranque is T. Alonzo. Turn left here and walk a couple of blocks. The first store you'll see from this direction is Anjieson VCD Store. You can buy lots of VCDs and some DVDs here. They also have Audio cds and Posters. Walking further, you'll now reach ongpin. If you turn right, you'll encounter Mei Ah VCD Store and another Anjieson Store (which is managed by the sister of that guy in the first Anjieson Store). Going left, there's another Mei Ah VCD Store.

Now an alternate way to get to Ongpin is to ride the LRT and get off at Carriedo Station. You should then make your way towards the Sta Cruz Rotunda. This is where Sta. Cruz Curch is also located. Ongpin st. is the street with that Filipino-Chinese Friendship Arch. It's directy opposite the church. You won't miss it. From here, the first store you'll see is Mei Ah to your right. Further is another Mei AH, this time to your left, then a couple of stores away, Anjieson. You can ask the owner there to show you to their T Alonzo Store.

That's it. We go to Ongpin regularly during Saturdays or Sundays. You can join us if you want so i can refer you to the store owners there.

Offline alaeh

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Mar 26, 2003 at 03:20 PM »
thanks for all the help guys!

@ DL1,

thanks for the help...i'll probably take the MRT -> LRT Route... then make a choice between Recto and Carriedo Station... but i still need to do some scouting reports regarding which route is safer...

Offline DL1

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Mar 26, 2003 at 04:19 PM »
hi alaeh! as to safety.... i don't think there's much difference but i'd settle for the carriedo route because the areas you pass by are very open and highly populated. For the Dorotero Jose route actually the only "alanganin" portion is when you're walking from the Station to Recto which is actually a short distance (50meters??) Medyo madilim nang knti kse dun and closed space because its under the LRT. But i've been passing thru these routes my whole life so far no untoward incidents naman. just don't go there all dressed up and glamorous  8)

Offline diamond

• Collector
  • Radix Lecti (Couch Potato)
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Apr 01, 2003 at 08:22 AM »
 :D
Am very much interested in HK-produced movies, but I wonder, do they have English subtitles?

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Apr 01, 2003 at 09:11 AM »
Most have English subtitles but there some titles with bad subtitles that are difficult to read.

Offline diamond

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Apr 02, 2003 at 09:35 AM »
tnx RMN.
could you suggest DVD movies in Chinatown with better english subtitles?

Most have English subtitles but there some titles with bad subtitles that are difficult to read.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Apr 02, 2003 at 10:29 AM »
To be honest, I don't think I can give specific titles because I'm not really sure which ones have better subtitles. Maybe there are others here who can. :)
However, they say some Mei-ah released DVD's have bad subtitles along with some editions of Wong Kar Wai's films (R3). My Mei-Ah VCD of The Story of Qui Jou is an example. The subtitles appear to quickly to be read properly.
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2003 at 12:12 PM by RMN »

Offline DL1

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Apr 03, 2003 at 07:41 PM »
tnx RMN.
could you suggest DVD movies in Chinatown with better english subtitles?

There are lots of movies naman with good subtitles. But i bought some movies with little subtitles, The Longest Night and A Hero Never Dies.

These are relatively new movies kase. Most of the old HK movies have good subtitles since HK movies were required by law to have subtitles back when HK was still a British colony.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Apr 03, 2003 at 11:22 PM »

Now an alternate way to get to Ongpin is to ride the LRT and get off at Carriedo Station. You should then make your way towards the Sta Cruz Rotunda.   This is where Sta. Cruz Curch is also located. Ongpin st. is the street with that Filipino-Chinese Friendship Arch. It's directy opposite the church. You won't miss it. From here, the first store you'll see is Mei Ah to your right. Further is another Mei AH, this time to your left, then a couple of stores away, Anjieson. You can ask the owner there to show you to their T Alonzo Store.

It looks like I ended up taking a much longer route and walk. I was near the Sta. Cruz church and I never realized that Its so close to Ongpin.

Offline diamond

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Apr 04, 2003 at 08:20 AM »
tnx DL1. any recommendations? do they have Wong KAr Wai DVDS with good subtitles?

There are lots of movies naman with good subtitles. But i bought some movies with little subtitles, The Longest Night and A Hero Never Dies.

These are relatively new movies kase. Most of the old HK movies have good subtitles since HK movies were required by law to have subtitles back when HK was still a British colony.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Apr 04, 2003 at 10:33 AM »
Try visiting www.wongkarwai.net  :)

Offline zimoonstar88

• Apprentice
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Ai
  • Liked:
Re:DVD's/VCD's in Chinatown
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2003 at 06:26 PM »
When will they be releasing the uncut version of HERO (Leung Chiu Wai, Jet Li, Zhang Ziyi)? Do you think they'll have a copy of it in mei-ah?
Meron bang may alam kung saan makakakuha ng copies ng Meteor Garden 1 and 2 na may english subtitiles? The Meteor Garden that i bought for a friend in Hong Kong only had chinese subs...where can i get one with english subs?

Offline BanGZ

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2003 at 11:37 PM »
hi i think sa www.warnerbrothers.com.hk..try mo or search mo d ko sure kung yan ung site ng warner pro meron dyan..hehehe..oist paburn ng vcd mo..ill pay you..thanks

Offline maiden

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Aug 08, 2003 at 01:04 AM »

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me where i can buy  the third installment of the movie Poison Ivy.  thanks

Offline chronic

• Collector
  • I'm a lubie
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Aug 10, 2003 at 02:55 PM »
did u ever get a copy of sex and zen 1 & 2 ?pls advice tnx

Offline tien tsai

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Oct 14, 2003 at 09:32 AM »
Has anyone tried buying DVDs from HKFlix.com?  WHat are your experiences there?

Offline mgypop

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Snoochie Bootchies!!!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Nov 27, 2003 at 05:32 PM »
Meron bang mga ita sa Ongpin?

ASIAN HORROR

7 - Another Heaven
6 - Ebola Syndrome
5 - Evil Dead Trap
2 - Evil Dead Trap 2
6 - Ghost Actress
6 - Horror Hotline...Big Head Monster
2 - Ikenie
5 - Ju-On 2
6 - Kakashi
7 - Memento Mori
7 - Murder
7 - Nang-Nak
5 - New Blood
5 - Nightmare
5 - The Record
5 - The Ring Virus
7 - Say Yes
7 - Seance
6 - Sorum
6 - The Soul Guardians
6 - Spooky Encounters
7 - Suicide Club
6 - Three
6 - Unborn But Forgotten
9 - Uzumaki
7 - Visible Secret
6 - Visible Secret 2

Offline dukeonline2002

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Dec 16, 2003 at 05:19 PM »
generally, chinese titles are available on all the video stores in ongpin (duh!) so titles like visible secret and horror hotline are available.  Has anyone tried the new video shops at ongpin?  Anyway, some japanese and korean titles will be available depending if the movie was shown to Chinese moviegoers.  So battle royale and bichunmoo are available.  Also, try memorizing the chinese symbols for "english subtitles" since most titles have them.

My dad visited some shops to check on some stuff (i.e. telenovelas). One store that my dad visited asked him if he was Chinese.  The owner explained that he doesn't have biases with non-chinese buyers but that the tv series on sale doesnt have any english subs.

Offline mgypop

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Snoochie Bootchies!!!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Dec 16, 2003 at 10:44 PM »
9 titles ang nakuha ko sa ongpin but.....

yung mga crucial wala like

1. suicide club
2. visible secret (although yung 2 mron sila)
3. uzumaki

and yung the untold story nila walang sub-title  

so here's my updated list that i want!!

1. Uzumaki
2. Visible Secret
4. Suicide Club/ Suicide Circle
5. Spooky Encounters
6. Seance
7. The Record
8. Gemini
10. Ebola Syndrome
11. He Never Dies
12. Ghost Actress
13. Human Lanterns

Offline dukeonline2002

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Dec 17, 2003 at 09:51 PM »
Gud luck na lang!  Wish there were other suppliers for asian titles.  Preferably those that sell affordable ones