Author Topic: DVD's/VCD's  in Chinatown  (Read 25487 times)

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
DVD's/VCD's  in Chinatown
« on: Mar 03, 2002 at 05:17 PM »
I went to Chinatown today to buy original VCD's of Hong Kong movies, and I was delighted by what I saw.  I found 3 stores, selling original VCDs and VHS's from Hong Kong.  The first one was one called Anjieson and the other two were Mei-Ah VCD Shop.  

The first store I stepped into was Angieson, where I was delightfully greeted by rows upon rows of VCDs and VHS's.  And wouldn't you know it, the first movie I saw, was Shaolin Soccer.  But I surreptiously looked through the other VCDs trying to look at what else I wanted, but I went back to Shaolin Soccer.  But I thought about it for awhile, and I said, somebody else would have Shaolin Soccer by now, so should just get another Stephen Chow movie.  And so I asked the guy, if he had other movies by the same director, and what do ya know, the guy couldn't speak a word of English.  So I had to to do some creative thinking, and I said the name Stephen Chow, and he lit up and showed me a whole row of Stephen Chow movies, and right in the middle was the God of Cookery.  My prized find! ;D  He charged me 170 pesos for it.  And I was very happy.  

And then I left and went to the other stores, which was Mei-Ah VCD shops.  I first went to the small one, which is nearer to Angieson, and fortunately some people there could speak English.  And then I went to the second one, which is larger and looks even more professional.  And more people there could speak English.  I wasn't able to ask about Korean and  other Southeast Asian movies though.  Anyway I really enjoyed my trip to Chinatown. :)

Anjieson
828 Ongpin Street
on the side of Lai Lai
7347533, 0917-9643808

Mei-Ah VCD shop (big)
921 Ongpin Street

Mei-Ah VCD shop (small)
846 Ongpin Street

Parking
Mandarin Palace Parking Area
Ongpin Street
30 P for light vehicle
40 P for heavy vehicle
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline Sid6.7

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: VCD's in Chinatown
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2002 at 03:28 PM »
Are you a fan of HK movies too? I loved Stephen Chow when it comes to comedy. Though they're more popular with action movies in the likes of Jet Li, Chow Yun Fat, Aaron Kwok, Ekin Cheng, etc. But nobody beats Jackie Chan. :)
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
Re: DVD's in Chinatown
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2002 at 04:22 PM »
Last month, wifey & I bought an original three-volume DVD of Chinese children songs at Mei-Ah VCD Shop (the better looking one) for P250 each. :o  CHEAP eh? (Sugod mga kapatid!!!! ;D)  Don't know if it's the list price since Benz talked/haggled with the store keeper in Fookien. ???

I recommend these DVDs for those raising kids to learn Chinese/Mandarin.

Although, I just don't know if all the other original DVD titles in the shop are at P250, the store is highly-recommended for fans of HK flicks. :)

Offline Garuda

• Collector
  • You give love a bad name...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2002 at 05:53 PM »

Last month, wifey & I bought an original three-volume DVD of Chinese children songs at Mei-Ah VCD Shop (the better looking one) for P250 each. :o  CHEAP eh? (Sugod mga kapatid!!!! ;D)  Don't know if it's the list price since Benz talked/haggled with the store keeper in Fookien. ???

I recommend these DVDs for those raising kids to learn Chinese/Mandarin.

Bartmaniac, what is the title of the DVD set? Baka puwede scan? Thanks!

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2002 at 06:13 PM »
Garuda, I can't tell you the title since the covers are all in Chinese characters. :(  I haven't seen these DVDs anywhere online.  

I'll try to scan it later and post 'em here.  BTW, the keep cases of these DVDs comes sealed in individual boxes: yellow (Vol.1), green (vol.2) and red(vol.3)

Can you recommenend any other kiddie Chinese DVD titles, garuda?

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2002 at 06:16 PM »

Are you a fan of HK movies too? I loved Stephen Chow when it comes to comedy. Though they're more popular with action movies in the likes of Jet Li, Chow Yun Fat, Aaron Kwok, Ekin Cheng, etc. But nobody beats Jackie Chan. :)

Cool, HK FILMS fans thread!

First of all, Thanks Joey Pogi for the info, I'll try contacting this store!!

As far as Chinese artists are concern my favorites are

For Comedy - Stephen Chow!! especially his latest
masterpiece "Shaolin Soccer"

Action
Ekin Cheng - Man Called Hero/Storm Riders/Legend of Zu
Andy Lau - Full Time Killer
Tony Leung
Stephen Fung
Chow Yun Fat
Jet Li

Actress
Sammy Cheng
Maggie Cheung
Anita Mui
and my favorite of them all Shu Qi

But no one beats the Dragons
Yen Hwa
Yuen Biao
Sammo Hung
and last but not the least - Jaackie Chan!!

[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2002 at 06:30 PM »

Garuda, I can't tell you the title since the covers are all in Chinese characters. :(  I haven't seen these DVDs anywhere online.  

I'll try to scan it later and post 'em here.  BTW, the keep cases of these DVDs comes sealed in individual boxes: yellow (Vol.1), green (vol.2) and red(vol.3)

Hi Bartmaniac,

Would you happen to know the contact number for mei-ah?

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
Re: VCD/DVD's in Chinatown
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2002 at 06:32 PM »
The "Shaolin Soccer" DVDs have long been out of stock as the Mei-Ah guy told us.  Though the VCD comes by often, the stocks are easily sold within days/week.  I think the "Shaolin Soccer" VCD costs around P350.

I also saw a lot of concert DVDs of Canto-Pop artists (Andy Lao, Jackie Cheung). And the "encyclopedic" ;D VCD box-sets of traditional Chinese movie epics.

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2002 at 07:08 PM »

Hi Bartmaniac,

Would you happen to know the contact number for mei-ah?

xage, here it is:

Mei-Ah (big/AstroVision-like shop) - 733.3198
Mei-Ah (small stall, Ongpin-style) - 733.4538

But I suggest you visit the stores personally.  My guess is that you'll hardly understand each other thru the phone because of the language barrier.  I haven't heard the store keepers/owners speak a single Tagalog and only very little English.

Offline Garuda

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2002 at 09:40 PM »

The "Shaolin Soccer" DVDs have long been out of stock as the Mei-Ah guy told us.  Though the VCD comes by often, the stocks are easily sold within days/week.  I think the "Shaolin Soccer" VCD costs around P350.

Little wonder. Chow's "Shaolin Soccer" is truly a masterpiece. The story, comedy, and special effects are A-1. I first saw "Shaolin Soccer" from Blitzkrieg. Hindi ko pa kilala si Stephen Chow then so was not interested. And the last Chinese movie I saw in entirety was back in 1988.

One day, I was browsing through Star Chinese Movie Channel and chanced upon a funny story about an arrogant chef who fell from grace and rose back up with humility. It turned out it was a Stephen Chow starrer called "God of Cookery." I was hooked!

When I was in HK, I bought 8 Stephen Chow DVDs and "Shaolin Soccer" was one of them. And man, it was so good that even my 4 year old son liked it very much in spite of his lack of understanding of Chinese.

Looking forward for more...

Offline Garuda

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2002 at 09:48 PM »

Thanks Bart. Will be expecting the scans. As for titles, I'm not that well-versed with the new Chinese educational titles in DVD. Had some in VHS before but already sold them to my sister.

I'm getting some of your recommendations to help my wife and kid learn Mandarin. Mahirap kasi matuto ng Chinese kung walang naririnig sa bahay.

Offline Bruce_Wayne

• DVD Addict
  • any problem???
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2002 at 10:04 PM »
If you like the show Pokemon and in Chinese (i know kids will like it), i saw a set being sold in a store in SM Manila sa may basement.  It's a store selling chinese stuff lang.   May mga educational tapes and books rin sila for children.  you might want to check it out.  

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2002 at 11:20 PM »
garuda, here are the cover images of the three DVDs I was talking about (click thumbnail for a larger image):

images removed from our server --->Bart  :)

« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2002 at 05:24 AM by °~bartmanyak~° »

Offline PARC

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/parc/
  • Liked:
Re: DVD's/VCD's  in Chinatown
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2002 at 01:39 AM »
Moved to Buying Offline Forum.

PARC

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
Re: DVD's/VCD's  in Chinatown
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2002 at 01:54 AM »

If you like the show Pokemon and in Chinese (i know kids will like it), i saw a set being sold in a store in SM Manila sa may basement.  It's a store selling chinese stuff lang.   May mga educational tapes and books rin sila for children.  you might want to check it out.  

Thanks for the leads, Bruce_Wayne.  We'll visit the place soon. ;D

By the way we also started showing Toy Story 1 & 2 to our daughter with the language option set to Chinese/Mandarin.  She's not complaining. ;D  Actually, she'll just as teary-eyed watching/hearing Jessie's drama scene with the Chinese version of the song "When She Loved Me." :'(

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2002 at 06:53 AM »

I also saw a lot of concert DVDs of Canto-Pop artists (Andy Lao, Jackie Cheung). And the "encyclopedic" ;D VCD box-sets of traditional Chinese movie epics.

Hi to everyone,

I happened to stop by at mey-ah over the weekend.

Fortunately they still have stocks for Shaolin Soccer in VCD.

So for those who are interested, they still have around three!

BTW, For the members in this thread How can I find Anjieson & Mei-Ah small? are this small stalls only?
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2002 at 12:55 PM by xage »

Offline Garuda

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2002 at 10:40 PM »

garuda, here are the cover images of the three DVDs I was talking about (click thumbnail for a larger image):

Thanks Bart! I'll check it out when I get to Chinatown on Thursday.

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Mar 19, 2002 at 12:07 AM »
BTW, For the members in this thread How can I find Anjieson & Mei-Ah small? are this small stalls only?

xage, the small Mei-ah and Anjieson are on the other side of Ongpin street.  These two stores are relatively small and old compared to the one you have been.   It's less than a minute walk  from the 'classy' Mei-Ah (left side if facing/walking towards Divisoria).  Better ask the Mei-Ah people to tell you where it is (it's just 'pointing' distance from the bigger shop).

So what/how many titles have you bought, xage?

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
Re:DVD's/VCD's  in Chinatown
« Reply #18 on: Mar 19, 2002 at 01:14 PM »
Got

a. 2002 (Ala Ghost Buster/Matrix ang film) VCD starring the guys in Gen X Cops

b. Feel Christy Chung - Magazine style VCD

Offline bestbuy88

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
call me when at ongpin
« Reply #19 on: Mar 19, 2002 at 03:45 PM »
if you need a chinese translator, siguro, i can help you. i know the owners of anjieson personally. baka i can help if you need to know something but cant speak chinese.

be glad to help. 0918-7171-080. just tell me you are from pinoydvd para alam ko.

near ongpin lang ako. so not a problem, unless im loaded at work. then i might have to excuse myself.

all these chinatown based stores closes at 7pm sharp. open sila pag sundays up to around 4pm only.

they start at 9am.

Offline krystle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Mar 22, 2002 at 11:28 PM »
i am particularly interested in romantic comedies like needing you with andy lau and sammi cheng....

what are the other titles you recommend?
do they have dvds like that in the ongpin stores?
where else can i get dvds like that preferably in the san juan area? :D

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
Re:call me when at ongpin
« Reply #21 on: Mar 23, 2002 at 01:58 PM »
if you need a chinese translator, siguro, i can help you. i know the owners of anjieson personally. baka i can help if you need to know something but cant speak chinese.

be glad to help. 0918-7171-080. just tell me you are from pinoydvd para alam ko.

near ongpin lang ako. so not a problem, unless im loaded at work. then i might have to excuse myself.

all these chinatown based stores closes at 7pm sharp. open sila pag sundays up to around 4pm only.

they start at 9am.

Hi BestBuy88,

Thank you for the voluntary assistance.

Baka puwede naman humingi pa sa iyo ng favor?

Possible ba mag-request sa Angieson ng Original Shaolin Soccer DVDs stocks for sale? I guess not only me is looking for this. I think this would help Angiesons sale as well.

Highly appreciate your feedback on this thanks. ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2002 at 02:05 PM by xage »

Offline bestbuy88

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Shaolin Soccer
« Reply #22 on: Mar 23, 2002 at 03:42 PM »
I will go to anjieson thsi afternoon and i will post the reply regarding status of Shaolin Soccer.

There is a new VCD there, KOREAN MOVIE titled MEMENTO MORI. Its highly rated at www.imdb.com I am inclined to buy it. Korean movies are really getting better, especially some of their offbeat romantic movies.

xage, wait for my post siguro by tomorrow morning (sunday0

Offline bestbuy88

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
out of stock shaolin
« Reply #23 on: Mar 24, 2002 at 06:37 AM »
i went to anjieson (as well as the other chinese vcd store) and they have ran out of stock of shaolin soccer.

however, a new shipment, hoping to be out BEFORE thursday holy week, will include new stocks of shaolin soccer.

i told the guy to inform us HOW MUCH will the DVD version of shaolin soccer cost BEFORE he brings them in. He said he will check it out. I will post it when I got his reply. Further, I insisted that we want the ORIGINAL LEGITIMATE VERSION in DVD format. Accdg to the guy kasi, meron "pirated". What i told him was we preferred the legit version as if in local counterpart, nabili sa Astrovision.

They will be closed on Holy Friday. They might close early on Thursday (by 330pm baka raw close na sila, depending on flow of people). Normal operations on Saturday.

thats all i can share.
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2002 at 07:09 AM by SumBong »

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re:DVD's/VCD's in Chinatown
« Reply #24 on: Mar 24, 2002 at 07:03 AM »
Yeah, I'd KILL to have an original widescreen copy of Shaolin Soccer myself!!  I'm thinking of going to Chinatown myself really soon to see if I can find one. I'm not really picky. It doesn't have to be sealed or brand new just as long as it works and all features can be played.  If anyone finds an extra copy over there or anywhere else, please PM me or email me:
[email protected]

You see, since Miramax has bought the rights to this film, they're going to change the title, choppin out some parts and replacing some of the music with hip hop. At least that's what I've been hearing. I would like to have a legit copy of the original before it's massacred forever. Thanks!

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
Re:out of stock shaolin
« Reply #25 on: Mar 27, 2002 at 06:53 AM »
Thank You very much Bestbuy

For info, I got already a bootleg DVD of Shaolin Soccer and the quality is not good, worst is there is no English Subtitles.

Anyway I will stop by as soon as I get info from you! Ooh I can't wait sana meroon na sa Thursday :P

I have no hardtime this last Sunday buying in Angieson "Dragons Forever" and "Troublesome Nights 4" (Shot in Phil.)

Thanks Again
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2002 at 07:10 AM by SumBong »

Offline FLIM

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Mar 27, 2002 at 07:59 AM »
Im selling a shoalin soccer dvd but its full frame. ANd has subtitles. Anyone interested just call me at 09163076255.Nadoble kasi I got a widescreen edition na.

Offline bestbuy88

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Shaolin Soccer VCD
« Reply #27 on: Mar 31, 2002 at 05:06 PM »
Shaolin Soccer VCD now available at ANJIESON along Ongpin street as of today, Sunday March 31, 12noon.

However, he only has around 4 copies of this VCD title.

I forgot how much. parang 340pesos yata.

To those interested better call anjieson and reserve.

good luck.

Offline kawboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #28 on: Apr 02, 2002 at 10:42 AM »
Guys, I'm looking for a particular Jacky Chan film titled: Gorgeous.  tagal ko nang naghahanap.
wala sa astrovision. i think it was only released in U.S.
it was released last year o 2 years ago. i'm not so sure. kaya medyo bago lang.
I'll check out Angieson. ty for the info!  :)

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Apr 02, 2002 at 10:49 AM »

Guys, I'm looking for a particular Jacky Chan film titled: Gorgeous.  tagal ko nang naghahanap.
wala sa astrovision. i think it was only released in U.S.
it was released last year o 2 years ago. i'm not so sure. kaya medyo bago lang.
I'll check out Angieson. ty for the info!  :)

Make sure lang na it has English Subtitles.

One advise, check the label for details.

I have this already but on VHS, JC & Hsu Chi.. US version lang nga

Mas OK ang HK version complete version ito compare to US