Author Topic: Locally Available Plasma TV - What To Buy?  (Read 13050 times)

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Locally Available Plasma TV - What To Buy?
« on: Apr 11, 2003 at 05:47 PM »
We have a client looking for the best price/performance plasma TV.  Ihaven't made the rounds yet but you guys may want to help me choose the best buy.

Kindly give me feedback on the available plasma screens locally.  Have you seen any good deal? Which would you recommend.

Thanks in advance.

voj :D

Offline Mo®pHeOu$

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GO GREEN: LET'S DO OUR SHARE IN SAVING OUR PLANET
  • Liked:
Re:Locally Available Plasma TV - What To Buy?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2003 at 06:22 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

there are lots of brands na with plasma TVs. The biggest (and priciest) i think is from LG costing almost a Million pesoses.  

Pioneer also has a plasma TV.  

Good luck!

ramil

Offline bunkieboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • WHAT'S YOUR DYSFUNCTION?
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2003 at 12:03 AM »
the samsungs arent too bad either. they even have a 60+" for less than a million. depends on what size your client wants too. personally if i had the chance i would go for the pioneers

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2003 at 12:43 AM »
I saw a 63" in HK going for a cool milllion pesos. That's from LG pa ah! Samsung 63" goes for 1.3M.

Offline Kups

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2003 at 08:22 AM »
Get the Panasonic or Fujitsu latest model.  Fujitsu has a better scaler.  Both have very good grey scale.  The 50" costs between 500k to 600K.  I had auditioned both

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2003 at 09:26 AM »
There are some hidden costs to buying plasmas. Just make sure to factor them in. A stand is 10k+, a wall mount is 30k+, a tuner (not all plasmas come with one; though you can probably use a VCR), and possible installation costs. I haven't seen how a plasma displays local cable TV signals, and whether its built-in scaler can do the job with those signals. So an external scaler is possibly on the hidden-costs list too.

All those equate to lots of Pesos.

Many industry experts advise those who want a plasma to wait at least a year (add another year or so for the Phils.). Most of the plasma factories in Asia are just coming on stream, so supply will rise substantially, together with economies of scale. Plus, TV manufacturers are not making a lot of profit on CRT TVs, so are planning to replace their CRTs with plasma, LCD, DLP, etc.

Translation: increasing competition among manufacturers means prices will drop; increasing supply means prices will drop; increasing demand means prices will drop.

The forecast is that plasma prices will initially drop to about $100 per inch by 2004. That means about half of what they cost here in Manila. Add another year (or more) for our local market.

But if you've got the cash now and can't wait, hey, enjoy shopping!
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2003 at 09:27 AM by slowhand »

Offline DMNX

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2003 at 02:26 AM »
I have seen NEC Plasma and performance is good. But if you want the best and comes with all accessories like stand, speaker and tuner built in. Wait for the new Hitachi Plasma 42". JR of Listening In Style advised me that in May they have the new model for Hitachi Plasma and it is very good. Outperforming all other brands, I believe it is as I seen one in HK, the best talaga. 8)

Offline redge

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2003 at 11:24 PM »
Pioneer is good kasi it has a support for third party cards so your plasma won't get outdated easily.  Also the best when viewed near, little or no pixelation or artifacts.  Panasonic has a good black.  NEC has some some good PQ as well.  Sony has done poorly in the plasma world.  IMO

don't just buy any kind of plasma.  I will tell you now that they are different.  View it in normal daylight, with ambient light and pitch black.  if your client has the money, i suggest at least a 50" so you can be closer to HD.  

also look at the gray levels,contrast and color tech. specs.  very important.

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2003 at 03:39 AM »
So far, the best plasma I've seen is the Toshiba in Listening in Style.  I really don't have the size and model, but for a relatively small unit, the P750K pricetag was a bit heart-stopping!   :o

Picture quality was the best though, bar none.  It's gotta be, for that price...

Offline ESi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2003 at 10:48 AM »
hey brother voj,

Recently ive been around plasma TVs and guess what its getting a lot less than before. It still got a hefty price tag but compared to before its a lot cheaper. TIve auditioned several but the best so far is the 42 inch LG. It costs 220T with side speakers and either a base or a wall mount option. Listening in style has a promo 250T with the PLASMA, HTiB and a raffle ticket for a brand new JAGUAR! Not bad. Its better viewing the LG since its pleasant to the eyes at default mode unlike the others which looks fantastic at first due to its color saturation but later on causes eye fatigue. For me this is the current best buy. Hope this helps you out! ;D
Ars longa, Vita Brevis, Judicium dificile

Offline bayonic

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
plasma tv and HDTV updates ?
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2004 at 11:22 AM »
MabuHi!

i'm new here ...  so apologies if my questions are redundant .
but i did use the search function and the results were quite outdated < a year old >

i'm looking for a plasma tv for my family in manila ...
i've done my research and i think ive narrowed down my choices to either a Panasonic TH42PW6BX or a Pioneer PDP434HDG .

1. anyone know the current selling price for these units ?

2. where should I go to audition these units ? and which dealers are recommended . . . since this is a big expense i need to spend time at the store and check every detail before committing ...

3. the Panny is an EDTV while the Pio is an HDTV .... i want to know what are the  options currently available for HDTV reception/subscription currently available in Manila ... to justify more bucks for the HDTV ... any updates on the Meridian ? bumaba na ba subscription ?

4. any recommendations for a good HTIB that can do progressive scanning ? I'm partial to Pioneer HTZ1000DVD but I cannot find a review through Google. I know I saw it once sa Anson's or SM AC Power Plant .  Is progressive scanning worth upgrading your home theater system ?

5. Lastly , where can I buy calibration DVDs for in-store picture quality comparisons or failing that what DVD titles should I bring to the store for auditioning.

i've been watching the plasma tv prices for two years now , and here in Hongkong theyve significantly gone down ... still i would want to purchase the tv there in Manila for obvious reasons .

thanks in advance

Offline pilsen

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Re: Locally Available Plasma TV - What To Buy?
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2004 at 05:28 PM »
I can get you the Panasonic TH42PW6 for Php 220k. Let me know if you're interested

Offline pilsen

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2004 at 05:30 PM »
Or if you want the older model the 42PW5 for Php190k

Offline drexx

• Apprentice
  • This posting is made from 100% re-cycled electrons
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 03, 2004 at 02:23 PM »
02Jun2004 (UTC -7)

i'm looking for a plasma tv for my family in manila ...
i've done my research and i think ive narrowed down my choices to either a Panasonic TH42PW6BX or a Pioneer PDP434HDG .

Go with the Panasonic :) I too did lots of reading on the 'web and I liked the specs *and* price of the Panasonic as the best. Here in the US, they have lots of stores that display the TV's (pardon the pun) and the Panasonic gave the best pic of all inspite lots sources of ambient lights. The Sony did the poorest --as I guess it was because it was LCD.

1. anyone know the current selling price for these units ?
Check out www.dvdcity.com for good info.

2. where should I go to audition these units ? and which dealers are recommended . . . since this is a big expense i need to spend time at the store and check every detail before committing ...
I guess the next best thing is to use Google and read the reviews, as well as go to the various manufacturer's websites and download the manuals. I did, and it was worth it.

4. any recommendations for a good HTIB that can do progressive scanning ? I'm partial to Pioneer HTZ1000DVD but I cannot find a review through Google. I know I saw it once sa Anson's or SM AC Power Plant .  Is progressive scanning worth upgrading your home theater system ?
Since I have a Yamaha RX-Z9, which has impressive/advanced video and sound processing features, I could go for the cheapest DVD/CD player and let it just dump everything raw to the Yamaha receiver. I chose then Pioneer DV-563A for its unbeatable price/features ratio. That CD player can do SACD, DVD-Audio, read DVD-RW, progressive scanning, CD-RW, VCD, JPEG viewing, MP3 playing, read CD-R and CD-RW discs. SACD and DVD-Audio, I think are two important features to help future-proof your system... with SACD & DVD-Audio discs costing only as much as the regular but inferior audio CDs.
Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY
Pioneer DV-563A
Yamaha RX-Z9
NHT spkrs
PS2

Offline bayonic

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 03, 2004 at 08:14 PM »
I can get you the Panasonic TH42PW6 for Php 220k. Let me know if you're interested

thanks.... but it's too late .

i went for the pioneer .
18 months zero interest installment < kuno >
free DV969AVi DVD player < elite series ><kuno>

i'm sure the price will drop as soon as next month ... or they will have a better promo .... <AARRGGHH>

got it from ansons'  .... listening in style has a lower cash price and I can't afford that ....
they can only go up to 6 months installment ... but then the price would be almost similar to the anson's/sm price.

now .... looking for a reasonably cheap HDTV subscription .

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Aug 30, 2004 at 05:57 PM »
Hey Guys,

We are planning to have a group buy activity on the following brands : Samsung, Sony and Panasonic..

Can you give us te idea the model your interested at cheapest or the best offer that you have so far, so that in case we have the said activity scheduled, the price we set is the best there can be...

So Guys, please let us know.....

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 2004 at 12:18 PM »

now .... looking for a reasonably cheap HDTV subscription .

Meron na ba sa Pinas?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2004 at 03:40 PM »
Are there plasma monitors out there WITHOUT internal audio amps and speakers, just plain display monitor like those LCD panels for PCs?  Not interested in optionally detachable speakers where they're part of the SRP.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2004 at 03:41 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline v0elker

• Collector
  • They say jump and you say how high
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 05, 2004 at 04:54 PM »
i think there are plasma monitors out there, but i think they're mostly for the commercial market.

i like those lcd monitors with detachable speakers, para may option. in my case, there are some ps2 games which have annoying audio. ang crisp ng sound effects, sakit sa tenga. whenever i hook em up to my rig, na-amplify tuloy hehe, oops ot.

Are there plasma monitors out there WITHOUT internal audio amps and speakers, just plain display monitor like those LCD panels for PCs?  Not interested in optionally detachable speakers where they're part of the SRP.  Thanks.

Online Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2005 at 11:43 AM »
I saw a Korean made (forgot the name) 43" Plasma being sold for only 100K at the Harrison Plaza.
The store is beside the Bingo area and near the Nintendo Store.
I was not able to check the product, this is for info to those interested.

Offline watdhek

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2005 at 12:18 PM »
I posted this on another thread....

==

Got my plasma from the US for P150,000 inc. of shipping/taxes/duties. Model name is TH42PD50u. To compare with locally available Panny model (42PA30)- 8th gen plasma (vs. 6th gen local), 8.5+billion colors (vs. 1.04B), 4000:1 contrast (same), 2048 shades of gradation (1024 local), 60,000 hrs (same), ntsc tuner (vs. pal). They claim burn-in is practically a non-issue with 8th gen plasmas- you can use it as your pc monitor or play videogames hours on end without worries.

Only drawback is, warranty is not honored by local Panasonic dealers. To be honest, I didnt care since the 42PA30 is P320K, I dont think Id spend 170K for repairs. In fact its cheaper to buy another one in case my current unit bogs down.

Of course its up to you if you will follow my lead and get the latest plasma for half the price. If you think it's too much of a hassle having one shipped from abroad, then just get the local model, which is still way better than the rest.

One last thing, I dont recommend buying HD panels now. This model can rival those HD plasmas twice its price when viewing DVDs, even when placed side by side. Trust me on this. As of now, we have no use for HD units since HD programming isnt available locally, HD-DVD/bluray will only be available at the end of the year (inc. HD-DVD/Bluray players) and same with Xbox 360 (4th qtr 05) and PS3 (2nd qtr 06). Plasma prices are on the decline at a rate of 20%/annum. By the time these new tech becomes the standard, HD plasmas would be 40%-60% cheaper!

Offline Depth of Field

• Collector
  • Be Thankful!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2005 at 10:56 AM »
I got a syntax sa automatic centre. very reasonably priced. i use it for my work and of course watching dvds. very high resolution and very nice colors. Since all plasmas are made in taiwan, i thought this was a good buy regardless of the brand name.

just my 2 cents.

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2005 at 05:54 PM »
I got a syntax sa automatic centre. very reasonably priced. i use it for my work and of course watching dvds. very high resolution and very nice colors. Since all plasmas are made in taiwan, i thought this was a good buy regardless of the brand name.

just my 2 cents.

ALL plasmas are not made in Taiwan. Syntax is made in China.  Plasmas quality depends who made the glass screen and the circuitry.  :P :P
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005 at 10:44 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline Titanium

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • "There is always a better way"
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2005 at 08:27 AM »
I posted this on another thread....

==

Got my plasma from the US for P150,000 inc. of shipping/taxes/duties. Model name is TH42PD50u. To compare with locally available Panny model (42PA30)- 8th gen plasma (vs. 6th gen local), 8.5+billion colors (vs. 1.04B), 4000:1 contrast (same), 2048 shades of gradation (1024 local), 60,000 hrs (same), ntsc tuner (vs. pal). They claim burn-in is practically a non-issue with 8th gen plasmas- you can use it as your pc monitor or play videogames hours on end without worries.

Hi watdhek,

Did you order your plasma TV through the internet? If so, can you post the particular website. thanks.

Offline Depth of Field

• Collector
  • Be Thankful!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2005 at 11:21 AM »
ALL plasmas are not made in Taiwan. Syntax is made in China.  Plasmas quality depends who made the glass screen and the circuitry.  :P :P
are you sure syntax was made in china? coz kolin ang mother company nya. i know AOC is made in china. plasma screens are made in taiwan. >:D

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2005 at 06:45 PM »
Syntax LCDs are made in Taiwan (http://www.syntaxgroups.com/aboutus/aboutus.htm)  There is no claim that they manufacture Plasmas. If you have Syntax brochure, you will find that the Syntax Plasma SPS-4248 is actually "Prima" under the marker pen cover-up in the brochure. However, the Plasma Specification list "Samsung" as the panel supplier. Prima is manufactured in China by Xiamen Overseas Chinese Electronic Co Ltd. Here is a link if you are interested  http://www.globalsources.com/si/6008800576426/xiamen.co

I hope this clears up some facts ;D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005 at 09:27 PM by Mouldingo »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jun 16, 2005 at 10:32 AM »
It's been a long time since I visited a major appliance store.  I was pleasantly surprised of the huge dizzying selection of widescreen plasmas and lcd displays at Ansons in Makati.  But with all that flooding, the prices haven't dropped at all - many are still in the 250T-350T ranges and lcds in  the 150T to 200T ranges.  If i recall right, that was their prices two years back.  Still little or no direct-view widescreen CRTs.
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2005 at 10:32 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jun 24, 2005 at 10:27 AM »
I saw Listening Shangrila advertising in the newspaper, selling some branded 42" plasmas at 120+k and 160+k. I am not sure if it was a Panasonic and Hitachi. I am not sure either if they still have em on stock now.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Aug 12, 2005 at 05:28 PM »
It's been a long time since I visited a major appliance store.  I was pleasantly surprised of the huge dizzying selection of widescreen plasmas and lcd displays at Ansons in Makati.  But with all that flooding, the prices haven't dropped at all - many are still in the 250T-350T ranges and lcds in  the 150T to 200T ranges.  If i recall right, that was their prices two years back.  Still little or no direct-view widescreen CRTs.

Hitachi on sale this month. 42" plasma for only 175k and 32" LCD for only 170k. with freebies  :).

Offline phantomXXX

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Aug 15, 2005 at 11:55 PM »
When buying a plasma, don't look for freebies but for the quality of the picture. Go for the branded ones, because they are very strict in quality control. Don't go for the "dispossables".

Hitachi model PD7800 has a panel life of 60k hrs, but contrast is 1000:1, HD compatible  - cost 250k
Hitachi model PD3000 is the lower model 3000:1 contrast doesn,t tell about panel life - cost 155k
Panasonic new panels claim 4000:1 contrast - cost 150k to 180k
Toshiba 42PD48 very cheap and lots of features

contrast of a plasma panel affects its picture quality and so does its life.