Author Topic: AVR + UPS  (Read 591 times)

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
AVR + UPS
« on: Apr 15, 2021 at 05:50 AM »
Guys I know maybe there's a thread for this already here but hirap na mag back-read.

Does anyone out here putting their gears on a Voltage Regulator & on a UPS (especially the monitor). My problem lately here is sometimes we get a totally low voltage then to the point where it goes brownout then just around maybe 5 seconds it turns back on so thats very overwhelming for the appliances. During the past weeks my TV broke down, my receiver's HDMI out doesnt work anymore & lastly my Magnify Mini's Sub bogged down also, it's been a triple whammy for the last few weeks.

So I was planning to put all TV monitors on a AVR+UPS configuration. Does it really have to be AVR to UPS first coz I was even more keen on UPS to AVR. I know the APC UPS also stated acts as a Voltage Regulator so kinda confused here on how to configure this.

Any suggestions or inputs out there?
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline jh@meeh

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: AVR + UPS
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2021 at 06:18 AM »
i just use 5kv AVR and power strip with surge protector for my HT gears for peace of mind except subwoofers.
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2021 at 11:17 AM by jh@meeh »
LG OLED
Kef Reference
Denon Receiver
Power Sound Audio
JL Fathoms

Offline Peorth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2021 at 09:47 AM »
Look for UPS models that have a built-in AVR, I know for a fact that APC makes them. Not sure about other manufacturers, but you can always look at the documentation. That will help save on the cost of using a separate AVR and reduces equipment footprint too.

Where I live (Diliman, Q.C.) the mains voltage here is 230 plus minus 2 volts or so. I've verified this with my multimeter and a separate LED voltmeter bought from Shopee (surprisingly accurate, only 1 volt difference from my multimeter). This slight deviation from the expected 220 volts shouldn't be an issue for appliances/devices. Interestingly, testing the voltage output of my Zebra 1500 watt servo AVR shows the 230 V corrected to 220 V, though the output does rise up to +5 volts or a little more at times. I know this because I put a voltmeter in a case and it's placed on top of my computer, with a glance I can see what the output voltage of the AVR is:

« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2021 at 09:52 AM by Peorth »

Offline Peorth

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2021 at 09:50 AM »
i just use 5kv AVR and power strip with surge protector for peace of mind except subwoofers.

Unfortunately an AVR will not be able to correct very large voltage dips and/or prolonged ones. We occasionally experience such dips and even with an AVR my PC will restart. In this scenario you'll need a UPS because it has a battery to provide the "missing" electrical power.

Online synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 926
« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2021 at 11:20 AM »
Unfortunately an AVR will not be able to correct very large voltage dips and/or prolonged ones. We occasionally experience such dips and even with an AVR my PC will restart. In this scenario you'll need a UPS because it has a battery to provide the "missing" electrical power.

Doc, I'm using APC and my unit does not "fill in" the lacking AC voltage by supplementing it with battery power. The battery power only kicks in when there is total power failure.  What model ng UPS has the feature that you were mentioning?
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Online synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 926
« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2021 at 11:43 AM »
Guys I know maybe there's a thread for this already here but hirap na mag back-read.

Does anyone out here putting their gears on a Voltage Regulator & on a UPS (especially the monitor). My problem lately here is sometimes we get a totally low voltage then to the point where it goes brownout then just around maybe 5 seconds it turns back on so thats very overwhelming for the appliances. During the past weeks my TV broke down, my receiver's HDMI out doesnt work anymore & lastly my Magnify Mini's Sub bogged down also, it's been a triple whammy for the last few weeks.

So I was planning to put all TV monitors on a AVR+UPS configuration. Does it really have to be AVR to UPS first coz I was even more keen on UPS to AVR. I know the APC UPS also stated acts as a Voltage Regulator so kinda confused here on how to configure this.

Any suggestions or inputs out there?

Bro, Im using 2 APC's for our Wifi connectivity and PC . It has built in Voltage Regulator. Implementation ko is direct to mains yung APC. Ang experience ko sa APC is this...pag nag fluctuate yung power to a small degree, the APC AVR will correct it.  Pag short brown outs the APC will shut off and battery mode will kick in. The best solution that I can think of in your case is a power on delay circuit. Ang nakakasira kasi ng appliance bro is yung bigalang pasok ng kuryente after a brown out.  The delay circuit allows the AC Voltage to stabilize first before it sends power to the appliance.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline Peorth

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 15, 2021 at 11:44 AM »
Doc, I'm using APC and my unit does not "fill in" the lacking AC voltage by supplementing it with battery power. The battery power only kicks in when there is total power failure.  What model ng UPS has the feature that you were mentioning?

From what I've read maybe you need a UPS with an AVR function. The AVR corrects relatively minor fluctuations, specifically for dips that aren't major it doesn't use battery power. But if the dip is large enough it should trigger the UPS function to provide power. For example, look at the product page of this UPS+ AVR from Cyberpower:
https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/avr/cps900avr/

The CyberPower Systems CPS900AVR UPS provides battery backup (using simulated sine wave output) and surge protection for desktop computers, workstations, and personal electronics. The CPS900AVR uses Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR) to correct minor power fluctuations without switching to battery power, which extends battery life.

Battery Backup
Supplies power long enough for equipment to properly shut down when utility power fails. Helps prevent loss of data and minimizes the component stress caused by a hard shutdown.
Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR)
Provides clean, consistent AC power by automatically increasing (boosting) low voltage without using battery power when incoming utility power experiences minor fluctuations.

My interpretation for this is that the AVR+UPS works as a continuum. Just focusing on voltage drops and ignoring spikes, if the drop is relatively minor then the AVR will compensate (without using battery power, as stated above). However, if the drop goes beyond the compensation range of the AVR, then the UPS should kick in. This transition should be seamless, otherwise if there is a gray area where the AVR is unable to compensate AND the UPS will not provide power then the computer will restart, which is obviously unacceptable.
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2021 at 11:47 AM by Peorth »

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 2021 at 03:04 PM »
Thanks guys for the inputs. My AVRs all have Power On Delays, I just wanted like a UPS especially for the TVs coz sometimes when currents dip around 180v it cant trigger the delay.

If you were just in my place where would you line up the power sources:

1. Line Conditioner > AVR > UPS > TV

2. Line Conditioner > UPS > AVR > TV

for me I was thinking about #2, coz we not sure if the UPS is stable so when the electricity shuts down, triggers the UPS battery while the AVR continues to stabilize the current foe a couple of minutes just enough time to power off the monitor.

Google results were mostly AVR to UPS. I'm no Engineer so was hoping some of might have the knowledge here. Master Tony would surely knows about this area  ;D

PS: was planning to get APC 1400's
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2021 at 03:06 PM by at_sunset_blvd »
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...