Author Topic: Speaker DIY'ers  (Read 309364 times)

Offline flashDB

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
Re: diy speaker
« Reply #450 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 03:07 PM »
^ sir indoor mostly for movies but can also be used for music-stereo.  Hindi ko lam kung san mag so-source ng speaker at anu magandang platform.

Offline Eggballs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #451 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 06:19 PM »
Do you want to try DIY speakers to satisfy your "DIY" hobby or do you really need speakers for your system?

IMO making DIY speakers are more expensive with no guaranteed satisfaction, mostly disappointment unless it's your hobby that you satisfy. Otherwise, go vintage speakers which will save you valuable amount of money while enjoying superb sound.

I f you want to push thru with your DIY, then visit first DAI ICHI showroom at Mega Mall to check local but good drivers. Goodluck.

Offline flashDB

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #452 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 06:56 PM »
Yes i want to try making my own speakers.  if it doesnt sound good its ok.  pero diba the sound will depend on the power and box design assuming i have a good brand/model of speakers.

can you recommend a good brand/speaker in dai-ichi?  how about imported brand, is ther a shop where i can select speakers?

thanks!

Offline eestrera

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Collector
  • hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #453 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 08:41 PM »
Making your own DIY speakers is rewarding. You do a lot of experimentation to get your desired effect. I've had my own share of fraustrations and joys from speaker building but in the end its the "joy" of building it that makes the difference. Am happy to say that some of the ones I've done compares to or sounds better than the current branded ones I have. I'ts true that oftentimes it comes out more expensive than the ones you buy in stores. It also takes some time to build. That's why it takes me months to finish one because I can only do it on my spare time. Natetenga for a few weeks tapos resume.

If your trying this out for the first time, I suggest you do a lot of reading in the internet. There's a wealth of information you can learn. In addition, you may also want to try out using full range drivers. At least you don't have to worry about making crossovers. Its simple to do plus a lot of enclosure designs you can refer to from the web.

As for sources, try posting in the buy and sell section. Daichi also has several decent speakers. You can also check raon for some.

Offline flashDB

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #454 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 08:47 PM »
yun din balak ko mga full range muna... tsaka maliliit lang.. :)
can you post the url of the buy&sell section.  kanina ko pa hinahanap parang hindi ko makita... tnx

Offline Eggballs

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Speaker DIY'ers
« Reply #455 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 10:57 PM »
Buy and Sell section still out Bro., most probably before the end of this month. Happy hunting for components for your DIY.

Offline @nk71

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Collector
  • :o)
  • Liked:
« Reply #456 on: Nov 06, 2008 at 03:25 PM »
ask ko lang kung san nakakabili nito plastic male plugs for speaker grill cover

thanks

Offline ichillpill

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #457 on: Nov 07, 2008 at 10:31 AM »
I had these GR-Research AV-3 speakers made back in 2006. It is from http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=116

I also made the GR-Research AV-2 as seen here
http://www.pbase.com/bruin/image/18789319

They are much better than the following speakers that I've listened to Klipsch RF2, B&W 603, JBL S series, Paradigm Studio 100's. The only difference between the AV2 and AV3 are that the AV3 are the floorstanding version and are 8ohms. I soldered the crossovers myself and had someone make the cabinets. Check out the website for more info http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=116

There are a bunch of reviews on the internet
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/html/reviews/techreview.php?rev=68
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=4786.0
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=14062.0

I am actually selling the AV3's actually in the for sale section.

If anyone has any interest in a DIY kit I highly recommend GR-Research. Danny Richie designed the kit and is the owner of GR-Research. He also took part with the Usher Tiny Dancer, and many AV123 speakers from www.av123.com
There are other kits availble but I ordered these as it fit my budget and rivaled commercial speakers <$2000. Because these are kits all parts are included from the drivers, capacitors, inductors, solder, internal speaker wire, wire rubber sheaths, schematic diagram of how to assemble the crossover, and the plans for the cabinets with exact specifications. All that is lacking is the wood :) www.audiocircle.com has many DIY kits from different stores
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2008 at 12:38 PM by ichillpill »

Offline ichillpill

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #458 on: Nov 09, 2008 at 02:33 PM »
Here's my other HT/music setups ... all GR-Research Speakers

Old Living Room Setup

Current Living Room Setup

Old Bedroom setup

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #459 on: Feb 06, 2010 at 12:39 PM »
i recall someone asking for help with DIY speakers. i found this just now and i might as well UP this thread.

btw there are a lot of speaker-building sites over the www, it would help a lot if DIYers maximize the internet in gaining knowledge before embarking on speaker DIY (also applicable to any other topic).
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline saladmaster

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #460 on: Feb 06, 2010 at 03:17 PM »
Calling Timber... beep beep beep beep beep.... ;D

Offline timber715

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • join us at www.cab1net.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #461 on: Feb 06, 2010 at 10:06 PM »
reporting sir...  hehehe. I initially wanted to make my own set. in fact I got me some seakers. 26" subs, 2 tweeters and 2 mid-range.  and after spending on them and can't make what I needed since I know little about cross-overs and electronic stuff, I decided to stop spending money and time on them and instead buy me something that has an after-sale value. but just in case anyone is interested in what I bought, I don't mind selling them cheaper, just pm me...  ;D

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #462 on: Feb 07, 2010 at 12:49 AM »
26" subs  ??? ??? ???
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline timber715

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • join us at www.cab1net.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #463 on: Feb 07, 2010 at 12:56 AM »
hehehe, wrong type... 2 pcs of 6" sub dapat yun...  ;D

Offline blues

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #464 on: Feb 07, 2010 at 09:45 PM »
my ultimate dynamite diy speaker im using drivers unit JBL L-123 woofer,Electro voice 1823m mid horn,meridian audax horn tweeter and siemens 2.2mf caps for the EV from jbl cap using for Audax horn and jensen big coil for the woofer sound great for me with vintage big baffles  :o

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #465 on: Feb 08, 2010 at 09:50 AM »
my ultimate dynamite diy speaker im using drivers unit JBL L-123 woofer,Electro voice 1823m mid horn,meridian audax horn tweeter and siemens 2.2mf caps for the EV from jbl cap using for Audax horn and jensen big coil for the woofer sound great for me with vintage big baffles  :o

eto ba yan?  ::)

Offline blues

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #466 on: Feb 12, 2010 at 10:24 AM »
exactly like that its from you kuya

Offline ghomer

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #467 on: Feb 17, 2010 at 11:51 AM »
mga kuya,, hehe

need your help.. a simple subwoofer box for my 15" woofer. tuned at 39 to 60hz yung pang high freq aka tight pounding bass.

i asked pilyo regarding this, and he told me na yung enlcosure nya is subok na for low freq aka gapang bass. lamang. called it streetbass..

so ang aim ko po dito is pang musical.. i got this info also on his site about amp and enclosure.

yung kahit simple lang po.. sana may makatulong.. e'ttuned daw po iyon.. pano po???

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #468 on: Feb 17, 2010 at 12:49 PM »
mga kuya,, hehe

need your help.. a simple subwoofer box for my 15" woofer. tuned at 39 to 60hz yung pang high freq aka tight pounding bass.

i asked pilyo regarding this, and he told me na yung enlcosure nya is subok na for low freq aka gapang bass. lamang. called it streetbass..

so ang aim ko po dito is pang musical.. i got this info also on his site about amp and enclosure.

yung kahit simple lang po.. sana may makatulong.. e'ttuned daw po iyon.. pano po???

bro,

google winisd and download the free software. play around with it and in a few hours you should be able to model your own enclosure to your preferred tuning freq.

Offline ghomer

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #469 on: Feb 17, 2010 at 02:18 PM »
salamat poh ng marami..

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #470 on: Aug 30, 2011 at 10:23 AM »
time to give this thread a new lease on life: ;D

just want to share my diy speakers which i built at around 1990....

4way system with diy'ed passive crossover

woofer is a Westwell 15 inches, low mid is a 12inch Hukotone, high mid is a 2inch soft cloth dome, and dome tweeters....

baffle dimensions are 44inches H x 21inches W x 17 inches deep...

a look at the cross-over network at the back:

inside the cross-over box:

That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #471 on: Aug 30, 2011 at 01:47 PM »
Nice Ports  ;D

Thanks for bringing this up.  Ever since I "built" (read as assembled) my subwoofer,  I have been thinking about making a 2 or 2.5 way speakers.  There are a lot of "proven" designs out there on Madisound and Diy Audio, its just a matter of putting my head and my poor wallet into it. 

Offline qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
« Reply #472 on: Aug 30, 2011 at 01:53 PM »
Sorrry super late reply,  but that typo was hilarious !!!
 ;D :D ;D

hehehe, wrong type... 2 pcs of 6" sub dapat yun...  ;D

Offline hattori_hanzo

• DVD Guru
  • LOUD and CLEAR! Mabuhay ang mga PCCian na bagets!
  • Liked:
« Reply #473 on: Sep 02, 2011 at 05:14 PM »
time to give this thread a new lease on life: ;D

just want to share my diy speakers which i built at around 1990....

4way system with diy'ed passive crossover

woofer is a Westwell 15 inches, low mid is a 12inch Hukotone, high mid is a 2inch soft cloth dome, and dome tweeters....

baffle dimensions are 44inches H x 21inches W x 17 inches deep...

a look at the cross-over network at the back:

inside the cross-over box:

WOW pang new year to sir Tony!

PCCian... kumbento boys!

Pipho (pinoy photography) member

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #474 on: Sep 02, 2011 at 06:24 PM »
yup......unfortunately one of hte 15inch woofer is shot....i am thinking of using the other good woofer for a  bass guitar cab......the 12inch Hukotone will make a nice guitar speaker....

planning to cut the baffles in half and make a separate sub- woofer.....lot's of options....
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline rexFi

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Vroom
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #475 on: Sep 05, 2011 at 02:33 PM »
Hello po mga sir, complete n0ob here, di na nga atah ako marunong magSolder hehe anyway my Fiance gave me his dad's JBL LX-22

^ not the actual pic (pictyuran ko mamaya ;D)

I am planning on replacing the 6'5 woofers myself sira na kasi yung gilid butas na, pero tumutunog pa naman. Speaker A+B configuration ko ngayon hehe

Ano pong mga pointers na dapat ko malaman? Head's up kumbaga. ;D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #476 on: Sep 05, 2011 at 04:56 PM »
^napapalitan yung surrounds nyan.....kaysa bumile ka ng bago, pwede pa marepair yan....

Offline rexFi

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Vroom
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #477 on: Sep 06, 2011 at 09:20 AM »
^napapalitan yung surrounds nyan.....kaysa bumile ka ng bago, pwede pa marepair yan....

Ito na sir ang hitsura ng mga woofer

Ok lang po palitan yan ? Post nalang pala ako sa Looking For section hehe, sana mura if ever.

Offline qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
« Reply #478 on: Sep 06, 2011 at 09:37 AM »
Pa check mo kay DIY_MASTER (AKA  anthony) the surrounds can be replaced, I reckon you would need to buy a cone and use it to repair (not replace) the damage part of the cone. I would rather repair this one than replace the driver (unless you can get a exact replacement)
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2011 at 09:39 AM by qguy »

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #479 on: Sep 06, 2011 at 10:53 AM »
^In that case, recone na yan kasama yung surrounds.....mukhang pinagpiyesthan ng mga mababait..... :D