Author Topic: Speaker DIY'ers  (Read 309792 times)

Offline rexFi

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Vroom
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Speaker DIY'ers
« Reply #480 on: Sep 06, 2011 at 11:57 AM »
thank you mga sir sa ideas, di ko alam pwede pala palitan yung cones hehe (n0ob)
Ok stalk ko lang esteh message ko po si sir anthony.

:)

Offline rexFi

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Vroom
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #481 on: Nov 05, 2011 at 10:03 AM »
Good day :)

Meron po kaya nagRerepair ng within Quezon City lang po? ;D

Ito na sir ang hitsura ng mga woofer

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #482 on: Nov 06, 2011 at 07:10 AM »
Good day :)

Meron po kaya nagRerepair ng within Quezon City lang po? ;D

small speakers repair shops can replace the cone and edge at a very low cost, di nga lang malinis ang gawa. kung gusto mo malinis pagkagawa try http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,33445.0.html mas malapit kaysa kina anthony
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline rulesmeister

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #483 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 08:38 AM »
Well not entirely DIY, but I'm trying to replace the tiny wiring (with a much higher gauge wire) inside the cabinet of my Euros6. I could not replace the wiring without removing the driver, problem is that the entire driver housing is glued tightly to the cabinet. How can I remove the drivers without damaging both the cabinet and the driver?

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #484 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 08:51 AM »
why would you want to do that? is something wrong with your speaker? i am also using a Euros6....how can you say the wiring is tiny if you haven't seen it?

pwede ka magtanong sa binilhan mo nyan o di kaya sa megamall 5th floor, they can give you good advice.....
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2012 at 12:50 PM by TonyT »
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline rulesmeister

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #485 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 09:02 AM »
Ive seen the wiring as I was able to successfully removed the terminal posts at the back of the FS. I was surprised the wires are a lot thinner than my former Nextbase HTiB. I was contemplating on improving the sound of my Euros6 FS, first thing is to replace the wiring, then (probably) replace the crossover parts with better parts (i.e. auricap)

Offline markcrenz

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #486 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 09:44 AM »
Well not entirely DIY, but I'm trying to replace the tiny wiring (with a much higher gauge wire) inside the cabinet of my Euros6. I could not replace the wiring without removing the driver, problem is that the entire driver housing is glued tightly to the cabinet. How can I remove the drivers without damaging both the cabinet and the driver?
bakit nga ba gusto mong palitan ng mas manipis na wire?

Offline rulesmeister

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #487 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 09:51 AM »
What I meant is mas makapal na wire

Offline trinity1123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #488 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM »
Ive seen the wiring as I was able to successfully removed the terminal posts at the back of the FS. I was surprised the wires are a lot thinner than my former Nextbase HTiB. I was contemplating on improving the sound of my Euros6 FS, first thing is to replace the wiring, then (probably) replace the crossover parts with better parts (i.e. auricap)

I think walang pagbabago yan sa sound,unless na yung mismong amp at source mo ang babaguhin.
Try some experiments,use your existing speaker,then gamitan mo ng ibang amp and compare mo ang tunog

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #489 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 11:31 AM »
the moment you start tinkering with your speakers.....tuloy tuloy na yan, hanggang sa huli ibenta mo na....marami ng examples nyas dito.....nagiging for sale yung item pag nagsawa...
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline shrek7

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Guru
  • God First! Family Second! Audio Third!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #490 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 11:56 AM »
I agree with sir tony t, ibebenta mo rin yan. although im speaking based on experience. iwas able to remove all the drivers of my euros6 to replace the wire with belden gauge 12. There was improvement in sound, i was also able to replace the tweeter caps with mundorf, but the mid caps and woofer caps have a really high value, so i was not able to replace it. After a while, ibinenta ko rin sya. Sayang, its a very good sounding speaker.

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #491 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM »
^di ka ba nalugi nung ibinenta mo? nabawi mo ba yung ginastos?

Offline markcrenz

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #492 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM »
master tony kala ko ba hayaan kung dun sya masaya?
hayaan mo sya, dun sya masaya.... :D opinion nya yon...... ;)

this about enjoyment, if doing that gives him satisfaction and fullfilment, then let him be...... ;D ;D ;D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #493 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 02:17 PM »
sinabi ko yon? :D :D :D ;)

oo nga, kung saan ka masaya, pero ang sa akin paalala lang, pag kinalikot mo yung speakers mo na hindi naman sira, at hindi ka masayahan paano na?  sige na nga payag na..... :D :D :D

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #494 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 02:27 PM »
the topic makes me wonder about corp r&d versus individual diy. if the single diy'er can claim his work sounds better, then the research group should be totally eliminated in the development and manufacturing equation. if good sound is dependent on one's subjective perception, then r&d is almost negligible.
does fabricated sound have international standards?
how do speaker diy'ers tweak the sound, by ear?

Offline trinity1123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #495 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 02:29 PM »
sinabi ko yon? :D :D :D ;)

oo nga, kung saan ka masaya, pero ang sa akin paalala lang, pag kinalikot mo yung speakers mo na hindi naman sira, at hindi ka masayahan paano na?  sige na nga payag na..... :D :D :D
HEHE One more thing sir,kung balak mong ibenta in the future,yung re-sell value nya,minsan kasi yung buyers ayaw sa mga items na kinalikot na hehehe

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #496 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 02:42 PM »
the topic makes me wonder about corp r&d versus individual diy. if the single diy'er can claim his work sounds better, then the research group should be totally eliminated in the development and manufacturing equation. if good sound is dependent on one's subjective perception, then r&d is almost negligible.
does fabricated sound have international standards?
how do speaker diy'ers tweak the sound, by ear?

ang accepted standards ay dapat flat ang response from say 60 to 15khz....pero mahirap ito, ang impedance kasi ng speaker hindi naman constant with frequency.....an 8 ohm speaker is not 8 ohms all thruout it response spectrum......

ang speaker sana ang refference point mo para masukat ang program material mo....ngayon pag binago mo yan base sa gusto mong tunog sa isang source mo na cd halimbawa...

paano na pag napalitan yung cd, hindi naman iyon at iyon lang na cd ang pakikinggan mo....e di kalikot ka na naman.....so me potential yan na maging tanggal kabit...tanggal kabit, hanggang ma fraustrate ka at ibenta mo......me mga alam akong kwento na ganyan dito, nilagyan pa kuno ng magic choke, pero nauwi rin sa bentahan...

hindi naman sa nanghihimasok ako, kaya lang, sa tingin ko mas mainam na magbuo ng isa pang speaker system para me variety....

me mga kilala ako hindi lang isa ang system sa bahay, more than 4 pa nga, mula sala hanggang kitchen area me stereo, para kung gusto ng ibang putahe, madali na....

Offline rulesmeister

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #497 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 05:52 PM »
My question is as simple as this: How can I remove the glued drivers from  the cabinet without destroying both the cabinet and the driver? The answers I got are relatively OT, while some are trying to flame-bait as if they knew me (Well I havent sold anything here in PDVD not even a tiny plug, much more sell a floor stander). If you knew someone who does that then pls dont stereotype everyone that they will follow the same path.

I also implied I probably (or might) replace some x'over parts (see the difference). I was just stunned by how tiny the wires were, so I think I had to rewire.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2012 at 06:37 PM by rulesmeister »

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #498 on: Mar 11, 2012 at 06:44 PM »
you will be even more stunned when you find out that your tweeters have #34 wires inside and that the others have #29 or 30.....very long and tinier....

you are probably trying to replace short lengths of #20 or #22 wires.....

but if you must, contact dai-ichi at megamall and ask them, they should be able to help you....

or abang-abang ka lang, merong sasagot ng tanong mo sa pagbaklas ng speaker system mo...

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #499 on: Mar 12, 2012 at 06:15 AM »
My question is as simple as this: How can I remove the glued drivers from  the cabinet without destroying both the cabinet and the driver? The answers I got are relatively OT, while some are trying to flame-bait as if they knew me (Well I havent sold anything here in PDVD not even a tiny plug, much more sell a floor stander). If you knew someone who does that then pls dont stereotype everyone that they will follow the same path.

I also implied I probably (or might) replace some x'over parts (see the difference). I was just stunned by how tiny the wires were, so I think I had to rewire.
brader, yung euros6 ko kasi eh akala ko eh naka glue nung una kong tinanggal yung driver, pero konting kalikot lang ng flat na screw driver eh natanggal na sya, try mong hatakin dahan dahan or tungkabin mong dahan dahan. sobrang batangenyo yta ang pagkakasabi ko. ;D okay lang na palitan mo ng wires na much thicker, pero mukhang di advisable na palitan ng crossover, kung cross over parts eh okay lang, kaso masyadong malaki ang nakalagay na caps sa woofer and mid drivers, 20uf plus. anyway, madami na kasing gumawa nyan, sorry if na-stereotype ka bro, matatanda na kasi yung karamihan ng tao dito sa pdvd kaya napagdaanan na nila yan. kadalasan kasi eh ganun ang nangyayari, naibebenta din, pero di ko sinasabi na ibebenta mo, malaki lang yung chances na mangyari yun especially kapag may mga taong manghawa sayo ng SARS, pero nasasayo yan, si sir Tony T kasi eh kaydami dami ng speakers na narinig at kaydami dami ng amp na ginawa, pero he still prefers his unmodified Euros 6 because he is satisfied with the sound it produces. kaya nga ang dami ko ng naibenta dahil mayat mayaeh kalikot ako ng kalikot, at the end, i prefer speakers without cross over.

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #500 on: Mar 12, 2012 at 06:17 AM »
^di ka ba nalugi nung ibinenta mo? nabawi mo ba yung ginastos?
di naman lugi..... luging lugi lang!  :'(

Offline rulesmeister

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #501 on: Mar 12, 2012 at 06:46 AM »
Ok many thanks for the reply. I'll try all over again the next weekend. It made no sense kasi for me that the internal wirings inside the cabinet were small while we used a much thicker wire from the Onkyo to the speakers. If maliliit lang din nman ang wires from the terminal post to the x'over/drivers then there's no point in buying a thick wire for the AVR to speaker.

Regarding the caps of the x'over, I'll check 1st what I can do (dont worry I worked for almost a decade sa Semicon Burn-in test for Military/DOD & Medical, I knew electronic parts like I know myself). I probably will replace those parts with same/similar values but of better quality. You probably replaced those caps with a much higher value therefore changing the characteristics of the x'over thats out of the frequency range of the driver(s). 

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #502 on: Mar 12, 2012 at 07:26 AM »
Ok many thanks for the reply. I'll try all over again the next weekend. It made no sense kasi for me that the internal wirings inside the cabinet were small while we used a much thicker wire from the Onkyo to the speakers.

The electrical "sense" is that the terminal post is your "junction" point. Using a thicker wire from your Onkyo to this "junction" makes all the sense, "electrically speaking" since you don't want any losses between those points.

If maliliit lang din nman ang wires from the terminal post to the x'over/drivers then there's no point in buying a thick wire for the AVR to speaker.

Like I said sir, you would want the least resistive connection between these points. Of course there is nothing wrong with replacing the wires inside the box, been there, done that too and it's completely understandable. But please do bear in mind that those Euros are for home hifi, it's not likely to take 5Amps from an amp all day long so the existing wires are already up to the task.

At the end of the day, it's always your call.

Regarding the caps of the x'over, I'll check 1st what I can do (dont worry I worked for almost a decade sa Semicon Burn-in test for Military/DOD & Medical, I knew electronic parts like I know myself). I probably will replace those parts with same/similar values but of better quality. You probably replaced those caps with a much higher value therefore changing the characteristics of the x'over thats out of the frequency range of the driver(s). 

Good for you. Good luck to you then.

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #503 on: Mar 12, 2012 at 07:35 AM »
brader, yung euros6 ko kasi eh akala ko eh naka glue nung una kong tinanggal yung driver, pero konting kalikot lang ng flat na screw driver eh natanggal na sya, try mong hatakin dahan dahan or tungkabin mong dahan dahan. sobrang batangenyo yta ang pagkakasabi ko. ;D okay lang na palitan mo ng wires na much thicker, pero mukhang di advisable na palitan ng crossover, kung cross over parts eh okay lang, kaso masyadong malaki ang nakalagay na caps sa woofer and mid drivers, 20uf plus. anyway, madami na kasing gumawa nyan, sorry if na-stereotype ka bro, matatanda na kasi yung karamihan ng tao dito sa pdvd kaya napagdaanan na nila yan. kadalasan kasi eh ganun ang nangyayari, naibebenta din, pero di ko sinasabi na ibebenta mo, malaki lang yung chances na mangyari yun especially kapag may mga taong manghawa sayo ng SARS, pero nasasayo yan, si sir Tony T kasi eh kaydami dami ng speakers na narinig at kaydami dami ng amp na ginawa, pero he still prefers his unmodified Euros 6 because he is satisfied with the sound it produces. kaya nga ang dami ko ng naibenta dahil mayat mayaeh kalikot ako ng kalikot, at the end, i prefer speakers without cross over.

oo nga sir, matatanda na kasi sila eh... :D :D :D

sorry OT, can't help it...  ;D ;D ;D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #504 on: Mar 12, 2012 at 07:36 AM »
I worked for almost a decade sa Semicon Burn-in test for Military/DOD & Medical, I knew electronic parts like I know myself

i also worked in several semiconductor firms years ago, between 1972 to 1988....i used to manage electronics workshops....

i am also for better quality parts, but i install them on first builds....anyway, good luck to you.... ;)

« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2012 at 07:38 AM by TonyT »

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #505 on: Mar 12, 2012 at 07:43 AM »
pero he still prefers his unmodified Euros 6 because he is satisfied with the sound it produces

i like the Eoros6 because price performance ratio is indeed very good, we have done listening tests with others speaker sets and indeed it can hold its own...... 8)

i have another speaker set, but that is another story...long diy process pa yan... ;D

Offline markcrenz

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #506 on: Mar 12, 2012 at 08:41 AM »

your drivers are not glued. may dowels lang na mahigpit ang kapit yang moulding, but removable. insert and twist an old credit card or plastic ID between the plastic moulding and the baffle. pag umangat na use thicker objects, like a flat screwdriver as shrek said. with care you can remove it without damage. then makikita mo na ang screws that hold the drivers.

re wire thickness na-explain na ng batang-batang si jojo. anybody with enough knowledge on electricity knows that those wires are enough to handle the designed currents. i have yet to see speakers whose stock wires show signs of current overloads.   ;)

Offline shrek7

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #507 on: Mar 12, 2012 at 06:56 PM »

i like the Eoros6 because price performance ratio is indeed very good, we have done listening tests with others speaker sets and indeed it can hold its own...... 8)

+1   ;D

oo nga sir, matatanda na kasi sila eh... :D :D :D

sorry OT, can't help it...  ;D ;D ;D
Hehehehe! What i mean is matanda na sa audio, pero BATA pa ang edad! Hehehe!  ;D me and my stupid tongue!

Offline jlester87

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #508 on: Mar 12, 2012 at 07:53 PM »

Gaya ng sabi nila, hindi naka-glue yan sir, nabuksan ko na rin yung euros-6 ko dati ;D, ginawa ko binend ko yung isang dulo ng tinidor para kumawit then pinasok ko sa screw hole ng driver, both sides(dalawang tinidor), then saka ko hinatak outward...
-----------------------

Ako naman balak ko sa euros-6 ko gawing active 3way saka papalitan ng vifa xt-25 hahaha
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2012 at 08:00 PM by jlester87 »

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #509 on: Mar 13, 2012 at 06:24 AM »
^pagawa ka na lang ng cabinet na katulad ng sa Euros6, then lagyan mo ng vifa xt-25 , so that you can compare them side by side......