Author Topic: Speaker DIY'ers  (Read 309557 times)

Offline 45caliber

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • BLACK GETTER
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
Re: Speaker DIY'ers
« Reply #270 on: Feb 07, 2005 at 09:54 PM »
Here's another fun little project I just finished. I built this as a PC speaker but it's good enough to use in a small stereo or surround sound system. It uses the Aurasound NS3-193-8A 3" extended range driver. Sounds really good for a little box.

For more info visit my hobby website at http://www.timn8er.com

saan po available yung Aurasound NS3-193-8A 3" and how much po?
Soul of Chogokin Collector
Samsung UE55KU6000/MED450S2X
Philips BDP-2500/Denon X520-BT
Wharfedale

Offline timn8ter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #271 on: Feb 07, 2005 at 09:56 PM »

I may be able to get a few brought over in balikbayan boxes. Probably P1400 each.
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2005 at 09:56 PM by timn8ter »

Offline 45caliber

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • BLACK GETTER
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #272 on: Feb 07, 2005 at 10:00 PM »
thanks po. when?
Soul of Chogokin Collector
Samsung UE55KU6000/MED450S2X
Philips BDP-2500/Denon X520-BT
Wharfedale

Offline timn8ter

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #273 on: Feb 07, 2005 at 11:54 PM »
thanks po. when?

Approximately March 1.

Offline Toquero

• Collector
  • I'm mastah !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #274 on: Feb 08, 2005 at 04:18 AM »
I may be able to get a few brought over in balikbayan boxes. Probably P1400 each.
Is there by any chance that you could brought here in manila speaker accessories like flared ports and subwoofer driver (10" dayton driver) if ever how much would it cost me... ;D I was planning to start my second DIY subwoofer project but due to availability of materials It always put on hold. :-\ I've once used aura sub drivers for my subwoofer and it performs good considering it's design simplicity..... ;)
HK2550/Denon DVD3800 /B&W603/LCR60/CHT 10-R/DM303

Offline timn8ter

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #275 on: Feb 08, 2005 at 04:39 AM »
Too soon to say. I have to see how much room I am allocated.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #276 on: Feb 08, 2005 at 07:35 AM »
Bros,

Is the MDF board available in most hardwares, and how much per board?

How about the ZIP CORD can i buy that in electrical shops, how much din per meter? tnx  ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #277 on: Feb 08, 2005 at 10:44 AM »
Hey guys I have an old SONY speakers, the enclosure pretty solid, but the sound is terrible. I am planning to change the tweeters /  woofers and x-overs.. any suggestion were to get woofers and tweeters ... I Can fit at  most 6.5 inch woofer.

Offline Handyman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #278 on: Feb 09, 2005 at 09:08 AM »
Bros,

Is the MDF board available in most hardwares, and how much per board?

How about the ZIP CORD can i buy that in electrical shops, how much din per meter? tnx  ;D

i buy 3/4" mdf from Seato, cor ng 20th ave. and tuazon sa Cubao, P950 per board 8ftx4ft.'

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #279 on: Feb 09, 2005 at 10:27 AM »
Hey guys I have an old SONY speakers, the enclosure pretty solid, but the sound is terrible. I am planning to change the tweeters /  woofers and x-overs.. any suggestion were to get woofers and tweeters ... I Can fit at  most 6.5 inch woofer.

There are drivers in all electronic AV shops at Raon and Dai-1chi showroom megamall.  Dai-1chi, Micro and Soundedge are common; Coral, Fostex and JBL can also be found but few, if i recall right.   You may want to bring with you the tweeter and woofer to see if the diameter and screw positions of the new drivers are the same or close. 

With regards frequency dividing networks, there are also many in these stores depending on the wattage, make and dividing points.

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #280 on: Feb 09, 2005 at 10:51 AM »
Not sure if this will count, but resurrected an old Kenwood SW-7 subwoofer by replacing the two 6" stock woofers with replacement ones from Raon using Dai-Ichi 6" woofers replacement.

The sound seems much, much better now. I wanted to get the Sony woofer available at that time but they only have a single one and I needed two badly.

I wonder if the Sony ones would sound better than the Dai-ichi woofer replacements rated at 8 ohms, 100 watts and they are in parallel. Would doing a mix and match be okay or not advisable ?

-jackryan 8)
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2005 at 11:16 AM by jackryan »

Offline Jagner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #281 on: Feb 09, 2005 at 01:44 PM »
not advisable.  each driver, although same in appearance, has its own characteristics.  they will respond differently when mounted in the same enclosure, which may not be for your liking.

Just my opinion.  Cheers

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #282 on: Feb 09, 2005 at 02:01 PM »
Sony is not known to make speaker drivers, they may have an OEM for these.  And I wouldn't be surprised if Dai-1chi OEMs for them.  ;D

Post above is correct.  They make look alike and sized the same, but there are many other parameters in loudspeakers that make one brand behave differently from another given the same input and enclosure conditions. 

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #283 on: Feb 10, 2005 at 07:21 AM »
i buy 3/4" mdf from Seato, cor ng 20th ave. and tuazon sa Cubao, P950 per board 8ftx4ft.'

bro handy tnx for the info. -- Cubao is far from my place -  ::)

it seems that plyboard has a high level of resonance if use for speaker box. Thats why what is preferred is the MDF -- how about placing some foam inside the speaker box made of 3/4 plyboard, will this be enough to eliminate the resonance? tnx again  :)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline timn8ter

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #284 on: Feb 10, 2005 at 07:27 AM »
Plywood is preferred because of it's stiffness. To reduce vibration the preferred method is bracing. Adding foam, polyester, wool, felt, etc., may absorb some upper frequencies to reduce their output at the port but does nothing for panel vibrations.
I should re-phrase that. The reason for wanting stiffness and adding bracing is to raise the resonance frequency of a vibrating panel high enough that it doesn't interfere with the sound of the speaker.
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2005 at 07:30 AM by timn8ter »

Offline Toquero

• Collector
  • I'm mastah !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #285 on: Feb 10, 2005 at 10:04 AM »
Plywood is preferred because of it's stiffness. To reduce vibration the preferred method is bracing. Adding foam, polyester, wool, felt, etc., may absorb some upper frequencies to reduce their output at the port but does nothing for panel vibrations.
I should re-phrase that. The reason for wanting stiffness and adding bracing is to raise the resonance frequency of a vibrating panel high enough that it doesn't interfere with the sound of the speaker.

So what you are saying is common building materials like marine plywood, plyboard and even solid wood is actually prefered over MDF boards especially on subwofer enclosures unless if the material cost against MDF board would cost more. Because here in Manila based on our members infos, 3/4" MDF boards cost (Php 950) , 3/4" marine plywood cost (Php 1000) and 3/4" plyboard cost (Php 650-750). Among these materials , plywoods are stiffer than mdf boards. Are there any tonal differences that would affect the whole speaker setup considreing all enclosures are properly braced?.... ???

I've read to other foreign diy forums that they also prefer Class A plywoods for their projects .I don't know if they only saying it due unavailability of mdf material.... ???

HK2550/Denon DVD3800 /B&W603/LCR60/CHT 10-R/DM303

Offline timn8ter

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #286 on: Feb 10, 2005 at 10:43 AM »
Technically no, there is no difference if the enclosure is properly braced. However, too much bracing can change the interior volume and create Helmholtz resonance chambers inside the cabinet. I'm sure there are those who insist that the material introduces tonal qualities. I would agree if the material is allowed to resonate at an audible level. MDF works fine if it's properly braced. When you say Class A plywood I'm assuming you mean a high quality, void free plywood. This is better because the voids in the plys can cause unwanted vibration. Solid wood is a challenge, especially in a humid climate because of the possibility of warpage or twisting. Plywood is mostly immune to this problem.

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #287 on: Feb 10, 2005 at 10:53 AM »

ok tnx for this info bro --  ;D i hope we can discuss here other concerns for speaker building.

so, PLYWOOD and PLYBOARD are two different things?  ::)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #288 on: Feb 10, 2005 at 11:57 AM »
Commercial grade construction plywood has lots of voids and structural weak points to be a suitable speaker enclosure.  If you have to use plywood, most DIYers suggest marine multi-ply birch plywood.

MDF is universally accepted as the best material for speaker boxes and used in many hi-fi speakers, both in the low end and high-end price ranges.   But admittedly, it's a lot more difficult for DIYers to handle than plywood. 

Check this out:

http://www.robertshifi.com/faq/faq-9.html#21
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2005 at 12:12 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #289 on: Feb 10, 2005 at 03:26 PM »
Ok == i think the best available material would be the MARINE PLYBOARD but more expensive than the ordinary plyboard --  ;)

Bros, may i just bring up this one... "What is a ZIP CORD, where can we buy this? tnx  ;)

Offline Jagner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #290 on: Feb 10, 2005 at 05:19 PM »
Zip cord -  same as flat cord in electrical appliances.  However, for speakers, these are speaker wires that look like flat cords, with one wire striped or color coded.   These wires come in either black or transparent insulation, with varying sizes.  You can buy 'em in any electronic shops

Offline timn8ter

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #291 on: Feb 10, 2005 at 09:37 PM »
Zip cord - same as flat cord in electrical appliances. However, for speakers, these are speaker wires that look like flat cords, with one wire striped or color coded. These wires come in either black or transparent insulation, with varying sizes. You can buy 'em in any electronic shops

Yes, thank you for clarifying that.
Please don't confuse the term "zip cord" with standard appliance cord. There is a benefit to using properly constructed speaker cable made with good copper and a good jacket and that is freedom from corrosion, especially in a humid climate.
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2005 at 09:38 PM by timn8ter »

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #292 on: Feb 11, 2005 at 06:49 AM »
jagner, timn8ter -- tnx for the info bros --  ;D

Offline Handyman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #293 on: Feb 11, 2005 at 09:12 AM »
Tempest 15" Sub, Amp 250W, dim:35"x25"x25"  :)

« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2005 at 01:31 PM by Handyman »

Offline FASTBACK

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #294 on: Feb 15, 2005 at 12:25 AM »
Tempest 15" Sub, Amp 250W, dim:35"x25"x25"  :)

This really gives truth to the saying " This rocks the house"

Nice job Handyman.

Offline timn8ter

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #295 on: Feb 23, 2005 at 09:27 AM »
Alegria Audio will have a limited supply of these drivers available March 1. P1350 each.
http://www.pi.alegriaaudio.com/NS3-193-8A.htm

Offline dsd01

• Apprentice
  • relax lang may paraan pa diyan.....
  • Liked:
« Reply #296 on: Nov 08, 2005 at 01:45 PM »
mga sir ask ko lang kung pwede ko ba ipang drive ng passive na subwoofer yung ordinary na amp?

Offline Vhongbiker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • musika atbp.
  • Liked:
« Reply #297 on: Nov 09, 2005 at 05:57 AM »
sir Handyman. timn8ter may na audition ako last sunday sa hi fi show, bookshelf speaker nyo sir na nakadisplay. sir baka pwede nyo pm sa akin kung magkano benta nyo?

thank you.... ;)

Pray not for a lighter burden,
but for a stronger back....

Offline timn8ter

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #298 on: Nov 09, 2005 at 07:42 AM »

Offline Lawin

• Collector
  • Trust in the Lord . . .
  • Liked:
« Reply #299 on: Nov 09, 2005 at 04:07 PM »
Hello Guys!

I'm a newbie here. I own a complete set of the Dai-ichi Euro's8 Speaker System + Subs. I'm quite satisfied on its performance, however during a recent visit to my relatives, I have a chance to audition the DIY speakers below ( together with a DIY 100W 2 Channel Amplifier). It sounds waaaay... better than my Euros'8, the bass is clear and tight, the mids and highs are much clearer than my Euros ( although not bright or matinis). Sounds like you are in front of a live band (we were playing instrumentals from a CD being played on an old Samsung CD player). 

The main driver is a 12" Starvox Speaker, the midrange speaker is Nakamichi (similar to those being used in a PA system) and the tweeter is for a car. It's made of 3/4" marine plywood although not quite finished yet,  he claims his speaker system already won first place in a local contest in Malabon.

I was quite intrigue to the point that I want to replace my Euro's with a similar DIY speaker system.  Appreciate any comments/advise on the design? --- thanks!

DIY Speaker

A similar DIY speaker being offered to me minus the mid-range & tweeter, speaker is a 15" JBL. Price is 12K. Although the size of the baffles is quite big. Is the price OK?