Author Topic: Speaker DIY'ers  (Read 310239 times)

Offline Jagner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Speaker DIY'ers
« Reply #300 on: Nov 10, 2005 at 03:49 PM »
mga sir ask ko lang kung pwede ko ba ipang drive ng passive na subwoofer yung ordinary na amp?

Bakit hindi?  as long as the amp is sufficient enough the provide the power required by the subs, I don't see any problem.  Yun nga lang, if your passive subwoofer does not have a LF crossover, you need to provide one.

Hope this helps.

Offline markmlists

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #301 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 12:16 PM »
Hi.

What would additional damping material such as fiber fill, fiber pad or foam to the inside walls and corners of the speakers do to the sound? Extended bass?

Is there a way to increase a speaker's sensitivity rating short of replacing the drivers?

Thanks !

Offline wraith

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #302 on: Nov 12, 2005 at 03:18 AM »
Hi.

What would additional damping material such as fiber fill, fiber pad or foam to the inside walls and corners of the speakers do to the sound? Extended bass?

Is there a way to increase a speaker's sensitivity rating short of replacing the drivers?

Thanks !

Fiber Fill > lowers Qtc and shifts the resonant frequency downwards... extended bass nga  :)
Foam behind the driver, along the inner walls, and corners > prevents standing waves.  This will improve midrange.

To increase the speaker's sensitivity without changing anything, position the speaker at the corner of the room.  corner loading will make the speaker more efficient and more directional (just like horn loading)
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2005 at 03:19 AM by sonic boom »

Offline markmlists

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #303 on: Nov 12, 2005 at 07:49 AM »
Thanks Sonic Boom.

Is there such a thing as over damping? Baka kako masobrahan eh :)

salamat.

Offline wraith

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #304 on: Nov 12, 2005 at 09:36 AM »
Hi markmlists.

Sa alam ko, the maximum ratio is 1.5lbs of fiberfill per cubicfoot of internal volume.  above that ratio, the effect will already act negatively because the internal volume is already too dense... effectively cutting internal volume instead of dampening it.

BTW, will you use it for a midrange/midbass driver, or for a subwoofer?  Kung sa subwoofer, stuff all you can until the 1.5lbs/cuft ratio.  Pero pag midrange/midbass, baka magka negative effect ang too much fiberfill on midrange detail... minimum stuffing lang suguro if the speaker is intended to play up to the midrange region.

Offline rmm

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #305 on: Nov 15, 2005 at 02:15 PM »
Pasingit lang po....
maski out of the topic ako...

I am in the planning stage for a videoke machine with built-in speaker in a box with the players on the top layer...my concentration is more on the speaker box size and wall divider...
Is there any simple orientation and box size computation of the commercial speaker I will be using ( konzert - 10"
woofer, 5" mid and dome tweeter ) . I don't have access to o'scope and I can't find the resonant freq.
I want to have a clear mid ( vocal ) sound quality not more on the bass. any recommendation on what
brand of speaker is the best for vocal reproduction?
Thanks and regards,
RMM

Offline markmlists

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #306 on: Nov 16, 2005 at 09:16 AM »
Sonic Boom, anyone

I did line the speaker cabinet last weekend cabinet but did not stuff it with fiber-fill.

I used a thin non-woven fiber cloth (the nearest material to felt I could find ) and tacked it using a double sided foam tape. I considered but later thought against acoustic pads for subwoofers since it is too thick. Midrange did improve. the bass became tighter and the overall sound was cleaner, warmer. Now the problem, tweeter output has decreased (perceived due to improved midrange perhaps).

Any suggestions? change internal wires? Remove wall damping around the tweeter area? 

Thanks...

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #307 on: Nov 16, 2005 at 09:30 AM »
Aren't tweeters sealed at the back?  So there'd be no effect from internal cabinet conditions??

Offline markmlists

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #308 on: Nov 16, 2005 at 11:24 AM »
Av_phile-
thanks for pointing that out..
If that is the case then, I surmise that the tweeter output did not decrease, but the midrange drowned it resulting in the seeming attenuated output.... may point ba? thanks.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #309 on: Feb 16, 2006 at 11:18 AM »
i happened to see the inside of the speaker cabinet of the karaoke box and it seems there is no special thing in it  -- so parang kaya ko ring gumawa  ;D Speaking of the box mukhang wala namang special measurement kasi the different sizes of these karaokes are observable.

So i want to ask - for a 300 watts / 8 ohms speaker ano ba dapat ang specs ng tweeter, mids and sub? tnx
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline markmlists

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #310 on: Mar 10, 2006 at 10:37 AM »
Hi all, im planning to replace my tweeters (disconnect wires of orig tweeters internally)with a horn type tweeter with mini stands so I dont have to rework the speaker cabinet (orig tweeters stay in place) my problem is the horn tweeter is 94db. The speaker's combined and rated sensitivity is 86DB. if I replace my tweeter with a 94db tweets,  technically lalabas na mas malakas ang tweeter sa woofer. My questions are:

1. will this negatively disrupt the combined sound from the 2 drivers or passable naman? should i be bothered or lalabas namang di masyado magkalayo?

2. any remedies using diffferent  non polar caps and resistor values to match their output? current cap is 2.2uf@250V.

3. I read somewhere that woofer and and tweeters are not rated the same to begin with and higher sensitivity talaga than the woofer; otherwise, nasal daw ang sound if same sens rating sila. any truth to this?

Thanks sa lahat ng gustong mag share ng info.

Offline D0Hbert

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #311 on: Mar 10, 2006 at 11:56 AM »
Yes, that's a difference of 8 db, that's more than 2x volume output difference that you will definitely notice.
Use a driver attenuation network on the piezo horn tweeter. You need 2 resistors, one 4.8ohms in series with the (+) leg of the tweeter, the other 5.3ohms across the + and -, in effect parallel to the tweeter. This will cause a 8db attenuation, assuming the tweeter is 8 ohms. Changing the values of the capacitor won't affect attenuation, it will only affect the cross-over point of the tweeter. Changing it to better polypropelenes or using non-polar electrolytics won't affect volume output, but it will affect sound quality reproduction.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #312 on: Mar 10, 2006 at 02:20 PM »
mark, may i know what brand, horn tweeter?  first, why not try connecting the new horn tweeter to the crossover of the 5.20 before you try the attenuation and other tweaks. baka tsamba sakto match ng horny tweets mo!? ;D (yan kasi walang tone controls (treble)....hehehe..peace :))

Offline markmlists

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #313 on: Mar 10, 2006 at 03:16 PM »
Thank you for your responses sirs DOHBert and Oweida.
Its actually the Dai-ichi PL-6 na may stands. Small, affordable but high sensitivity. Try ko din muna sa orig crossover but I wanted info lang on a backup plan so I can finish it within a single weekend. I also considered upping th cap to 4.7 so the woofer can take care of the starting high freq but baka naman pag kick-in ng tweeter eh napakalakas so I asked.

Meron pa rin akong tone controls. :) Hopefully next week separate preamp na.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #314 on: Mar 10, 2006 at 03:26 PM »
kailangang ma-binyagan yang new baby mo! try mo din infinity emit tweeters ;D

Offline D0Hbert

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #315 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 03:49 PM »
Paano ba setup ng speaker sa loob? 1st order or 2nd order ang high pass and low pass filter? Assuming your previous tweeter is 8ohms, tapos 1st order sya, around 9k ang crossover point, pag 2nd order sya, nasa 6khz ang crossover nya. So if you want to try to "attenuate" the output of the piezo, try putting the crossover point higher than 9k, lagay mo sa 12khz or so, mas hihina output nya without using resistors. Pero depending sa design ng crossover point ng woofer, pag 6incher sya, more or less crossover point nya nasa 3k-4k, so may butas ka from 4-9khz. You can't expect the woofer to produce frequencies beyond 4khz with ease kasi mas mabigat na yung cone nyan and malaki, thus hirap mag produce ng high frequencies, unless fullranger sya. Still the best solution is to let the piezo produce 6khz and up, then use an attenuation network.

Offline hattori_hanzo

• DVD Guru
  • LOUD and CLEAR! Mabuhay ang mga PCCian na bagets!
  • Liked:
« Reply #316 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 07:41 PM »
hi! im planning to build a HT subwoofer. can someone help where I can buy a subwoofer amp plate? yung local lang, meron ba sa raon? yung tipong ginagamit sa powered subwoofer talaga. thanks!

by the way yung subwoofer design I got from Adire tempest audio subwoofer sealed box design. kaso yung driver na gamit ko local lang 15" dai-ichi.     

please guys I need your help on these one. thanks so much!
PCCian... kumbento boys!

Pipho (pinoy photography) member

Offline alz

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #317 on: Mar 16, 2006 at 02:10 AM »
guys, newbie here.. just want to ask kung saan nakabili nung driver ng sub..thanks! ;D

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #318 on: Mar 16, 2006 at 06:31 AM »
Guys can you recommend a good 6.5 inch woofer available locally and a dome tweeter for HT use, preferrable Dai-ichi  since this is readily available and the Dai-ichi showroom is just a stones throw away. I already have an enclosure

Offline hattori_hanzo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #319 on: Mar 16, 2006 at 08:17 AM »
need help guys,

im about to build a HT subwoofer, have anyone seen a 21" subwoofer driver, meron na ba naka gawa sa inyo dito ng ganitong kalaki subwoofer? i need your advice before I purchase one sa raon.

I intent to use either sealed or vented box enclosure for this sub with sir jojo's DIY amp. by the way its for my future HT upgrades... 

need your reviews and opinions, thanks!!!
PCCian... kumbento boys!

Offline qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
« Reply #320 on: Mar 16, 2006 at 01:36 PM »
2 reason why you need a 21 inch subwoofer

1.  you have a basketball court size living room , if you dont see number 2
2. your friggin INSANE !!!   ;D  btw.. invite mo ko pag nabuo mo na siya .. insane din ako  I have  two  12 inch woofers , one 12  inch  subwoofer in a small room .. for audio palang yan.. di pa ako nagbubuo ng HT  :o

seriously.. I have seen a 24 inch subwoofer in Makati years ago in car auto parts shop, so  far your best bet are car shops.  Normally the larger ones are 15 and 18, actually baka 18 mahirap na makahanap. Why not go for two 12 inch or two 15 inch if your really need that SPL. besides it  might be easier to build an enclosure for those size woofers

Another options is to look for those old Cerwin Vega floorstanders with 15 inch woofers, slap in a subwoofer amp and  your done

need help guys,

im about to build a HT subwoofer, have anyone seen a 21" subwoofer driver, meron na ba naka gawa sa inyo dito ng ganitong kalaki subwoofer? i need your advice before I purchase one sa raon.

I intent to use either sealed or vented box enclosure for this sub with sir jojo's DIY amp. by the way its for my future HT upgrades... 

need your reviews and opinions, thanks!!!
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2006 at 01:38 PM by qguy »

Offline hattori_hanzo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #321 on: Mar 16, 2006 at 01:48 PM »
thanks qguy,

hehehe! actually kaya ako na inspire mag buo ng 21" sub is nung napanood ko yung zorro 2 sa THX theater sa makati. galing nung explosion dun sa scene na lasing si zorro (banderas) at hinabol niya ang kabayo niya then "KABOOM!!" yanig yung upuan ko eh hehehe!

simple lang sana ang design ko sealed or vented ang gagamitin kong box 24" x 30" x 24". actually the 18" or 21" inchers are readly available na sa raon ang dami dami dun ang gaganda pa tumunog. I happen to audition one crown ang brand niya, wala pang box pero bumabayo na nung hinook-up niya sa phonic na amp. kaya it kept me wondering tuloy kung gaano kaya kalakas ang SPL nito pag naka box na hehehe!     
PCCian... kumbento boys!

Offline qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
« Reply #322 on: Mar 16, 2006 at 01:52 PM »
Try mo rin bass shakers, if you really want to vibrate, smaller cheaper

Offline Handyman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #323 on: Mar 16, 2006 at 05:06 PM »
This is a 21" x 21" x 25" sealed box for 15" Tempest.

Offline hattori_hanzo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #324 on: Mar 16, 2006 at 06:00 PM »
This is a 21" x 21" x 25" sealed box for 15" Tempest.

sir pwede bang iresize yung adire tempest or better use the same size of driver nalang 15" instead of 21"?
PCCian... kumbento boys!

Offline Handyman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #325 on: Mar 16, 2006 at 11:22 PM »
sir hanns1976,

mas maganda siguro kung same driver size na lang ang gamitin mo sa tempest box. try mo search ang "tempest sealed box application" or "tempest vented box application".

Offline hattori_hanzo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #326 on: Mar 16, 2006 at 11:45 PM »
im now challenged sa 21" monster subwoofer na to. actually I plan to do a sealed box for this para medyo tight. kasi pag vented medyo power hungry baka hindi kayanin ng amp...
PCCian... kumbento boys!

Offline elvenears

• Collector
  • dont drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #327 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 02:02 AM »
any of you guys heard of the MTX jackhammer!!!!you might wanna swee that ...just type mtx jackhammer @yahoo.....grabe tong sub na to   ;D
from the antigravity defying force of an immortal jedi

Offline Handyman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #328 on: Apr 03, 2006 at 11:35 PM »
The ROSA - Designed by Timn8ter

Tweeter - Fostex FT207D
Driver     - 4.5" CSS WR125ST

Offline timn8ter