Author Topic: Speaker DIY'ers  (Read 309782 times)

Offline alexg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Speaker DIY'ers
« Reply #420 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 07:41 AM »
I cant see the pix, its typically firewall blocked on our setup. Is this the same reference full range project variation by dave (planet10) of diyaudio? I am considering the monopole because of footprint.

No, it is the design by Gio G (gg of diyaudio), the one designed by dave is ported bipole.

The bipole will have the same footprint as the monopole, I did the bipole since it eliminates the need for a power grabbing BSC (baffle step compensation) circuit. Also, my new modded t-amps is designed for bi-amping.

The sealed bipole also have the advantage of improving the soundstage a lot for a small penalty on the separation, which is ok with the kind of music I play. I wanted to do the sealed enclosure since this would improve the midrange and the bass will be tighter. These drivers does not go well below 80Hz anyway, even on a ported enclosure, so I still need a subwoofer, so basically in my opinion, porting the enclosure does not offer any advantage.
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #421 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 08:09 AM »
Parang hindi.

Offline juneaki

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #422 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 08:24 AM »
I have a pair of Wharfedale Valdus 100 which is very old already and i'm using this with a T-amp. It is a bookshelf type speaker. Yung plastic laminate nya ay natatanggal na at yung mdf box ay malutong na. But the drivers are still ok. May konti akong alam sa carpentry at gusto kong gumawa na bagong speaker box para dito. Gusto ko yung parang tower enclosure na payat pero sealed. BTW ang sukat ng mga drivers ay 3/4" ang tweeters at 5" ang mid/woofers. Meron ba kayong maire-recommend na design at ano ang magandang materiales na gamitin? TIA.

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #423 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 08:39 AM »
Parang hindi.

The internal dimensions are exactly the same, same driver placement, same driver, except the construction sequence is different. On Gio's construction, he started with the speaker sides and he glued the rear baffle last. On my construction, I glued the front and rear baffle first and the sides last (this has something to do with the finish I wanted). So basically, it is the same design.

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #424 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 08:42 AM »
I have a pair of Wharfedale Valdus 100 which is very old already and i'm using this with a T-amp. It is a bookshelf type speaker. Yung plastic laminate nya ay natatanggal na at yung mdf box ay malutong na. But the drivers are still ok. May konti akong alam sa carpentry at gusto kong gumawa na bagong speaker box para dito. Gusto ko yung parang tower enclosure na payat pero sealed. BTW ang sukat ng mga drivers ay 3/4" ang tweeters at 5" ang mid/woofers. Meron ba kayong maire-recommend na design at ano ang magandang materiales na gamitin? TIA.

What you can do is measure the internal volume of your current speaker cabinet, then try to design a tower cabinet with the same internal volume so the sound will not be much affected.

If you the T/S parameters of the drivers then you can download WinISD to compute for the speaker dimension.

The best material to use is MDF, apparently, it reduces resonance inside the box.

I will try to get the T/S parameter for your drivers, if I find it, I will give you WinISD's dimensions you can use.

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #425 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 08:46 AM »
The internal dimensions are exactly the same, same driver placement, same driver, except the construction sequence is different. On Gio's construction, he started with the speaker sides and he glued the rear baffle last. On my construction, I glued the front and rear baffle first and the sides last (this has something to do with the finish I wanted). So basically, it is the same design.

Hi alexg. My reply was for aHobbit :) I thought his post was the last so I didn't quote. Sorry for the confusion.
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2006 at 08:49 AM by bumblebee »

Offline juneaki

• DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
« Reply #426 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 08:50 AM »
What you can do is measure the internal volume of your current speaker cabinet, then try to design a tower cabinet with the same internal volume so the sound will not be much affected.

If you the T/S parameters of the drivers then you can download WinISD to compute for the speaker dimension.

The best material to use is MDF, apparently, it reduces resonance inside the box.

I will try to get the T/S parameter for your drivers, if I find it, I will give you WinISD's dimensions you can use.

Wow :o Thanks dude, will appreciate it very much ;)

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #427 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 09:16 AM »
Hi alexg. My reply was for aHobbit :) I thought his post was the last so I didn't quote. Sorry for the confusion.

Oooops, I thought it was for me....  ;D

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #428 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 09:19 AM »
Wow :o Thanks dude, will appreciate it very much ;)

Can you take pictures of your Valdus and measure the dimensions? Apparently, Wharfedale produced several versions of this model.  ::)

Offline juneaki

• DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
« Reply #429 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 09:52 AM »
Can you take pictures of your Valdus and measure the dimensions? Apparently, Wharfedale produced several versions of this model.  ::)

Ok, will pm you pics of valdus 100 and the dimension as well. Thanks.

Offline timn8ter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #430 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 11:39 AM »
Hi Alex!
Does this mean Ted was able to get the drivers for you? I haven't spoken to him lately. Your project looks excellent so far!

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #431 on: Aug 29, 2006 at 12:12 PM »
Hi Tim,

I was able to reserve 4 Fostex drivers from Ted. I believe our purchasing department already made arrangement for payment and pickup.

Thanks.

Alex

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #432 on: Sep 01, 2006 at 08:25 PM »
I just started building a pair of small tower sealed bipole using the 4" Fostex FE127E.

The design was based on this: http://ca.geocities.com/gmilitano/Speakers/FE127E_SB/FE127E_SB.htm

The baffles would be 3/4" MDF that will be painted black, the sides of the speakers would be solid narra.

Here are narra slabs being planed (left over from our kitchen cabinets):

Here are the MDF baffles:

Here are the baffles glued and screwed to the braces:

The four Fostex FE127E will arrive on Thursday, I will post more pictures.

These speakers will be driven by two modified t-amps (bi-amped) and a tube pre-amp, creations of Master JojoD.

Finally got my Fostex drivers today:

My dog trying to help so we can finish early, she would love to listen to Diana Krall and Lee Retinour on the new fostex speakers!

Fitted the speakers on the cabinets:

This afternoon, I connected the unfinished speakers (without the damping materials) to my two sonic impact t-amps. The sound is a bit brilliant and forward. Fostex users have said that I need to break-in the drivers for at least 100 hours. Compared to my AR Status 40, these DIY fostex without the break-in already sound better. Bass is tighter, but of course, it need a subwoofer for frequency lower than 80Hz.

Vocals is to die for.
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2006 at 06:42 PM by alexg »

Offline obey

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #433 on: Jan 30, 2007 at 11:49 PM »
Check out the DIY projects on this site especially the ones made by Ryan T :D

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=319931
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2007 at 01:37 AM by obey »

Offline timn8ter

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #434 on: Jan 31, 2007 at 01:28 AM »
alexg
Congrats on your project!
It does my heart good to see that.

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #435 on: Jan 31, 2007 at 10:05 AM »
This afternoon, I connected the unfinished speakers (without the damping materials) to my two sonic impact t-amps. The sound is a bit brilliant and forward. Fostex users have said that I need to break-in the drivers for at least 100 hours. Compared to my AR Status 40, these DIY fostex without the break-in already sound better. Bass is tighter, but of course, it need a subwoofer for frequency lower than 80Hz.

Vocals is to die for.

8)  8)  8)
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline rmpmla

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #436 on: Feb 01, 2007 at 07:18 AM »

Fitted the speakers on the cabinets:

Vocals is to die for.

ngayon ko lang uli nabuksan tong thread na ito. ;D

alexq, congrats
ganda naman  :)

Offline sammie

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Speaker DIY'ers
« Reply #437 on: Apr 12, 2007 at 08:42 AM »
DIY Subwoofer...

I'm new here.
I'm in the process of building up my 2nd sub. May driver na ako (kaya lang lumang model ito, which i got it cheap).  My problem is, gusto ko sana gawin active sub, but i don't know kung saan makakabili ng amp and other electronics na kailagan niya. 

I've read somewhere, na sa raon may nabibili ready assembled amp with low filter (no sure). Available pa kaya ito?

Pwede kaya gamitin ang amp ng pang kotse? Pero, ang sabi pag ito ginamit ko malakas ang consumption ng electricty (lagot sa electric bill for sure).

Can anyone help? Thanks...

[/quote]

Offline rustyns

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #438 on: Aug 15, 2007 at 04:20 PM »
Ahh those lovely Tee nuts... when I hear those I remember this beautiful chinese lady at T. Mapua St. where I bought my Tee nuts....  ;D

On a technical note, woofers and subs installation benefit a lot using Tee nuts rather than just using machine/wood screws. The price is less than P5 per set (bolt & Tee nut).

Sir Jojo,

Saan itong T. Mapua st.? Meron ba sa raon nitong tee nuts?

Tnx

Offline Jagner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #439 on: Aug 16, 2007 at 07:10 PM »
Sir Jojo,

Saan itong T. Mapua st.? Meron ba sa raon nitong tee nuts?

Tnx

Tee nuts are available in stores that sell screws, nuts and bolts.  You can check Tu Suy Hardware or Screwmaster hardware, w/c I think are also along that street. It's just a short walk from the LRT station, along Recto.  There are also branches of Screwmaster in Pasay (along EDSA, near the MRT Taft station) Cubao and San Juan.

Hope this helps.   

Offline rustyns

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #440 on: Aug 16, 2007 at 11:45 PM »

Tee nuts are available in stores that sell screws, nuts and bolts.  You can check Tu Suy Hardware or Screwmaster hardware, w/c I think are also along that street. It's just a short walk from the LRT station, along Recto.  There are also branches of Screwmaster in Pasay (along EDSA, near the MRT Taft station) Cubao and San Juan.

Hope this helps.   

tnx sir jagner

Offline bodin

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #441 on: Aug 17, 2007 at 04:01 PM »

mayron bang available subwoofer driver dito na may T/S parameters(Fs Vas and Qts)? Gusto ko sanang gumawa ng subwoofer for home theater. I have an old power amp to power it, to be connected to my receiver's sub-out. Preferably 6 or 8 ohms. Or yung dual voice coil para magagamit ko yung dalawang channel ng amp. Pero okey na rin kung single coil basta 6 or 8 ohms lang.
salamat po.

Offline vapo_chill

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #442 on: Sep 02, 2007 at 03:48 AM »
Guys, meron ba dito who offers baffle fabrication? i have an old pair of cb-80s from Dai-ichi, 3 way sia, 8" woofer, 5" midrange and 1" metal dome tweeter.
what i want is palitan yung baffle nia. currently its stands around 2.5 ft, natatakpan na sia ng  bed. i have a small room, gusto taasan yung baffles to around 4ft. bahala na kung pwede sia lagyan ng passive radiator cone or just back ported. i want to do it sana myself pero la ako talaga time.

Anyone offering such service?

Offline vapo_chill

• Collector
  • Liked:
sino dito offer Baffle fabrication service
« Reply #443 on: Sep 02, 2007 at 04:08 AM »
Guys, meron ba dito who offers baffle fabrication? i have an old pair of cb-80s from Dai-ichi, 3 way sia, 8" woofer, 5" midrange and 1" metal dome tweeter.
what i want is palitan yung baffle nia. currently its stands around 2.5 ft, natatakpan na sia ng  bed. i have a small room, gusto taasan yung baffles to around 4ft. bahala na kung pwede sia lagyan ng passive radiator cone or just back ported. i want to do it sana myself pero la ako talaga time.

Anyone offering such service?

Offline diy_master

• Trade Count: (+232)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • audio generator.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #444 on: Sep 02, 2007 at 06:45 PM »
try ninyo sir, #838 6701/0921 4697091 for speaker and sub. design. (A-Audio Custom Speaker)

Offline Bemo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: sino dito offer Baffle fabrication service
« Reply #445 on: Sep 04, 2007 at 09:59 AM »
Call diy_master (look for Anthony 8386701) or his cell 0921-4697091.
He is very good in this.
Please tell him you were referred by me.

Regards,
Bemo

Offline NMM1

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • DVD Addict
  • rock on!!!!
  • Liked:
Re: sino dito offer Baffle fabrication service
« Reply #446 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 05:34 PM »
from the looks of his work posted online plus the testimonies from lots of members, i would say he's the best.... sir anthony discount ha, hahahaha...
Rega | Schiit| Puffin | Yamaha | Dynaudio | ProAc | Accuphase

Offline diy_master

• Trade Count: (+232)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • audio generator.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #447 on: Sep 15, 2007 at 06:17 PM »
Sure discount,lemontwyst. any item and order hehe!

Offline flashDB

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
diy speaker
« Reply #448 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 12:20 PM »
Gusto ko sana magtry ng DIY speaker front left/right.
anung magandang platform/brand to start with?

Offline Eggballs

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: diy speaker
« Reply #449 on: Jan 17, 2008 at 02:28 PM »
Challenging inquiry.

To start with, I suggest you state your sound preference, your music, indoor or outdoor use and if indoor, size ng listening area mo... though still so many factors yet to consider.