Author Topic: Monitor Audio Speakers  (Read 468567 times)

Offline rap2x

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Monitor Audio Speakers
« Reply #2970 on: Apr 06, 2010 at 11:03 PM »
nice point ayosbathere ;) 8) so Rx2 white + Cayin na ba? ;D

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #2971 on: Apr 07, 2010 at 01:34 AM »
why need to comparo in small or larger room if you have the win spot to listen your favorite music. try to comparo base on your win spot ;)

I think most comparisons if not, all comparisons here are based on the "win" spot. But the "win" spot is also situated based on the width and depth of the room. So with a bigger room, there is a need for bigger drivers and amps as well. Try to listen to a very small room and use very big drivers. Vice versa. You'll notice that the difference in location of the "win" spot would also vary. Hindi lang ng room size ang variable. Acoustics din.

Offline gutierrez

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llamas!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2972 on: Apr 07, 2010 at 10:16 AM »
I think most comparisons if not, all comparisons here are based on the "win" spot. But the "win" spot is also situated based on the width and depth of the room. So with a bigger room, there is a need for bigger drivers and amps as well. Try to listen to a very small room and use very big drivers. Vice versa. You'll notice that the difference in location of the "win" spot would also vary. Hindi lang ng room size ang variable. Acoustics din.

With that said, are you suggesting to use smaller speakers (maybe bookshelf) on small room and bigger speaker (floorstander) for big room?  I have plans to change my ht speakers from fs to bs since my room is only 3.5x3.5m.

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2973 on: Apr 07, 2010 at 10:52 AM »

With that said, are you suggesting to use smaller speakers (maybe bookshelf) on small room and bigger speaker (floorstander) for big room?  I have plans to change my ht speakers from fs to bs since my room is only 3.5x3.5m.

my room is baout your size and im using an RS1 BS, im happy with it, off course the LFE is taken cared off by the sub
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline ayosbathere

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2974 on: Apr 07, 2010 at 07:57 PM »

simple lang... win spot pa rin when you do the speaker comparo wether in small room, big room, acoustic room or open area. basta nasa same area yong e shootout.

for the amp.. may mga speaker talaga nag hahanap na kaya syang(speaker) e drive meaning to say match na match yong amp doon sa speaker.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2975 on: Apr 07, 2010 at 08:04 PM »
basta MA the best ;D

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2976 on: Apr 07, 2010 at 09:05 PM »
Monitor Audio Silver RX1 Loudspeaker Review
A Compact Charmer
March 31st, 2010 -- by Tom Martin

The Monitor Audio Silver Series RX1 loudspeakers come across like many in the seemingly endless parade of unassuming, though attractive, small box loudspeakers on the market. Because of this, the RX1s do almost nothing to prepare you for the sonic excellence that awaits you once they are installed.

"Almost nothing" may be a bit too strong. The British loudspeaker maker Monitor Audio enjoys a reputation for being one of the pioneers in the development of drivers whose diaphragms are made of metal (in order to exploit the light, stiff, responsive characteristics they afford). But perhaps more importantly, Monitor is also known for delivering value for money.

OVERVIEW
Consider this system if: You find yourself in agreement with statement like “the midrange is the heart of the music” or “get the midrange right and the rest takes care of itself”. If you place a high priority on sonic resolution and detail the RX1s might make you wonder why people pay thousands of dollars for speakers. Expect a lively, dynamic, and well-defined sound, but without a painful or aggressive character. Your room should be on the small side for the RX1s, but if it is, and you’d like something that sounds remarkably “high end”, your speaker may have arrived.

FEATURES
Silver RX1 technical highlights:

◦1-inch C-CAM gold metal dome tweeter that are virtually identical to the tweeters used in Monitor’s more costly Gold-series speakers. According to Monitor Audio, C-CAM is "an alloy of aluminum and magnesium on which a thin coating of ceramic is deposited."

◦6-inch aluminum RST bass driver. The RST feature creates a distinctive, computer-modeled, “dimpled” cone surface said to “reduce cone break up and provide purer, more natural mid-range clarity.”

◦The mid-bass driver features a vented, rigid, non-magnetic cast chassis said to “keep the driver cool as well as reduce internal pressure, resulting in the ability to play louder and cleaner.”

◦Port has turbulence-reducing HiVe II port system, said to reduce port noise on high-amplitude bass transients.

◦As a means of providing both a stable driver mounting platform and of improving cabinet rigidity, Silver RX drivers are fastened in place by tension rods that pass all the way through to the back sides of the speaker cabinets to reduce “excessive vibration from the driver and cabinet together, giving lower colouration across the entire frequency spectrum.”

. . . BOTTOM LINE:
The Monitor Audio RX1 is an exceptional speaker, no doubt about it. Its combination of midrange clarity and smoothness gets to the essence of a lot of music. For a listener with a small-ish room (or a high-quality desktop system) who favors music of soloists, small groups and acoustic bands, the RX1 is so good it might do everything you need. No speaker does everything well, certainly not one at this price, so you should know that the RX1 has bass limitations and doesn’t present the largest possible soundstage.

Full Review: http://www.avguide.com/review/monitor-audio-silver-rx1-loudspeaker-playback-29

Offline ayosbathere

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2977 on: Apr 07, 2010 at 09:30 PM »
dts-HD 3d -- ayus. so post naman para sa RX2 :)

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2978 on: Apr 07, 2010 at 10:36 PM »

wala pa yata ayosbathere . . . puro forum reviews pa lang nakikita ko. ;D

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #2979 on: Apr 07, 2010 at 11:08 PM »

A lot of times, it's better lalo na kung Ht applications. Pero there is no exact rule on this. Syempre, it should always fit your preference.

simple lang... win spot pa rin when you do the speaker comparo wether in small room, big room, acoustic room or open area. basta nasa same area yong e shootout.

for the amp.. may mga speaker talaga nag hahanap na kaya syang(speaker) e drive meaning to say match na match yong amp doon sa speaker.

I think your missing my point sir. Room size is one of the many important elements in determining the right speaker size and power on your "win" spot. Imagine having to use satellite speakers in an open area like a basketball court. Mahirap hanapin ang "win" spot. And if there is, it might not give you a good soundstage, image and most of all, tonality. It will not also fill the room. So there are instances that you have to use bigger drivers. It's not simply looking for your "win" spot. As listeners, we also want to fill the room with enough sound or music. Different sizes of drivers would sound different on different sizes of rooms. Hence, we are simply considering the size of the room as one of the factors.

Got the chance to listen to the RX6 and the RX1. Maganda nga ang RX6 sa HT (in a bigger HT room).  ;)

Very musical naman sa akin ang RX1. Thanks audioworld for the audition. Didn't get the chance to audition the RX2 kasi naubos na. Palagay ko isang taga pdvd ang nakakuha nito.  :) You can't go wrong with any of the monitors!

Offline gutierrez

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llamas!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2980 on: Apr 08, 2010 at 08:59 AM »
Sirs, may I know why you suggest bookshelf speakers on a small room? ano po disadvantage pag floorstanders ang gamit in a small room.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #2981 on: Apr 08, 2010 at 12:25 PM »
I agree with Master Nelson.

I think boundary effect is a huge factor. In a smaller room, the listener and the speakers are typically closer to the boundaries. Shorter distances between walls also mean that significant cabin gain starts at a higher frequency.

A speaker meant for a bigger room will have a different anechoic response curve. This may cause it to sound overripe and boomy in a room that's too small for it (even if you position things optimally for the room). A speaker meant for a smaller room will usually sound leaner, and may not have sufficient extension when used in a big room.

The off-axis response of a speaker is also a factor when matching a room. Small rooms have more intense reflections that come sooner than it would in a bigger room. A good off-axis response will provide for better sounding reflections (which can sound great, but hurt holographic imaging), while a beamy speaker can reduce the comb filtering effect in some cases.

Aside from this, bigger speakers with multiple drivers may need more distance from the listener to image well and sound coherent,  vs. what is doable with smaller monitors (approximating point-source radiation). Large speakers can also displace more air, which allows them to fill a bigger room with sound without distorting. However, they may not resolve detail as well as a small speaker at a much lower absolute output level. An output level that may be within the listenable zone when placed in a smaller room.

Of course, selection of partnering components would also have a similar effect. The same gear combination may sound good in one room, but may not be as good in another.
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2010 at 11:28 PM by Stagea »

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2982 on: Apr 08, 2010 at 07:47 PM »
I agree with Master Nelson.

I think boundary effect is a huge factor. In a smaller room, the listener and the speakers are typically closer to the boundaries. Shorter distances between walls also mean that significant cabin gain starts at a higher frequency.

A speaker meant for a bigger room will have a different response curve. This may cause it to sound overripe and boomy in a room that's too small for it (even if you position things optimally for the room). A speaker meant for a smaller room will usually sound leaner, and may not have sufficient extension when used in a big room.

The off-axis response of a speaker is also a factor when matching a room. Small rooms have more intense reflections that come sooner than it would in a bigger room. A good off-axis response will provide for better sounding reflections (which can sound great, but hurt holographic imaging), while a beamy speaker can reduce the comb filtering effect in some cases.

Aside from this, bigger speakers with multiple drivers may need more distance from the listener to image well and sound coherent,  vs. what is doable with smaller monitors (approximating point-source radiation). Large speakers can also displace more air, which allows them to fill a bigger room with sound without distorting. However, they may not resolve detail as well as a small speaker at a much lower absolute output level. An output level that may be within the listenable zone when placed in a smaller room.

Of course, selection of partnering components would also have a similar effect. The same gear combination may sound good in one room, but may not be as good in another.

another technical learnings for me maraming salamat sir stagea bagamat may kalaliman ang mga techical na explanations eh naarok ko naman at nagkaron ako ng mag validation points sa pagka intindi ko sa mga bagay.
ngayon alam ko na na hindi saykologikal kung bakit mas gusto ko na ang BS kesa FS sa room ko considering na 3m by 3 m lang sya.

Offline ayosbathere

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2983 on: Apr 08, 2010 at 09:54 PM »
Nelson de Leon,

hindi ko na pahahabain. ok.  simple lang, ang pinag uusapan "is" comparo ng speaker in same area o laki ng area kung anuman. kung malaki ang area that's it e d a comparo. .. kung mala araneta yong size ng area e comparo ang speaker then .... alam mo na yon.

alam naman natin yon eh.... bakit ba tayo napunta sa laki o liit ng size ng area? 

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #2984 on: Apr 08, 2010 at 10:58 PM »
Nelson de Leon,

hindi ko na pahahabain. ok.  simple lang, ang pinag uusapan "is" comparo ng speaker in same area o laki ng area kung anuman. kung malaki ang area that's it e d a comparo. .. kung mala araneta yong size ng area e comparo ang speaker then .... alam mo na yon.

alam naman natin yon eh.... bakit ba tayo napunta sa laki o liit ng size ng area? 

because you were asking a question:

why need to comparo in small or larger room if you have the win spot to listen your favorite music. try to comparo base on your win spot ;)

You never mentioned anything about:

Nelson de Leon,

simple lang, ang pinag uusapan "is" comparo ng speaker in same area o laki ng area kung anuman. kung malaki ang area that's it e d a comparo. .. kung mala araneta yong size ng area e comparo ang speaker then .... alam mo na yon.

in your first question. My bad...  :(  :(  :(

Hence, i just gave an example for "comparo". Very sorry if i have mis-understood you. I was probably confused.

My apologies...  ;)  ;)  ;)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #2985 on: Apr 08, 2010 at 11:25 PM »
one thing though that is not being mentioned in this thread was that the RX1 being used at the ground floor of audioworld is hooked to the amplifier by a speaker cable that cost 160K. Please dont get me wrong as this is not to demean the excellent SQ of the RX 1 but more of setting expectations as the RX1 may sound a little differently pag sa bahay na naka set up.

Very true sir. That's why some people would bringing their amplifiers to the store to audition the speakers just to make sure that the speakers they are interested with would blend with their amps. Though hindi same room size and acoustics, at least we have a good idea of how well they would sound when paired with their amp.

Offline Signal2Noise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Triode Junkie...It's MUSIC not HIFI!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2986 on: Apr 08, 2010 at 11:27 PM »

Hi,

You cannot simply compare base only on your win or sweet spot.  You should also consider the room size, room acoustics, amplification, source etc.  If you have a small room, of course you wouldn't use a big FS or horn-type loudspeakers, otherwise the sound will overwhelm your entire listening area including your so-called win spot (sweet spot).  Likewise, you will not use a BS on a large room unless you have a powerful BS paired with powerful amplification. (Sorry for asking, what is comparo?) :)
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2010 at 05:20 AM by Signal2Noise »
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #2987 on: Apr 08, 2010 at 11:32 PM »
sabi ni kt more on music daw for rx2?

basta ht use lang target ko. not much into music.

ron pag more on movies ka kasi i would suggest ko FS na + a good sub. di naman sa di pwde sa movies yung RX2. pwedeng pwede siya but syempre mas maganda sya for audio since nandun ang details. magkaiba kasi yung setup pag pure audio vs pure HT.

heven't heard the RX2 pero after talking with Audioworld re characteristics of the RX2. it's like having the best for HT and music packaged into one.

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2988 on: Apr 09, 2010 at 11:59 AM »
Very true sir. That's why some people would bringing their amplifiers to the store to audition the speakers just to make sure that the speakers they are interested with would blend with their amps. Though hindi same room size and acoustics, at least we have a good idea of how well they would sound when paired with their amp.
it is not enough to bring your amps to the store. what would simulate the actual sound is bringing the prospect to your own listening environment listening to your own set of CDs/LPs. very few would allow this but it is the only way...and sadly, there is no other way.

this is true not only for speakers but up to the level of cables and interconnects, even on tweaks.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #2989 on: Apr 09, 2010 at 12:13 PM »
another technical learnings for me maraming salamat sir stagea bagamat may kalaliman ang mga techical na explanations eh naarok ko naman at nagkaron ako ng mag validation points sa pagka intindi ko sa mga bagay.
ngayon alam ko na na hindi saykologikal kung bakit mas gusto ko na ang BS kesa FS sa room ko considering na 3m by 3 m lang sya.

You're welcome sir Onkyo606. We're all learning from this hobby, tulung-tulungan lang tayo. :)

I'm sure mas malapit ka na sa sonic nirvana. Mas mahirap talaga pag smaller room. Madalas smaller speaks and more acoustic treatment ang gamit. I'm also working with a smaller room dito sa Manila, at wala pang treatment. Aside from the reflections, marami din kalampag pag bassy tracks.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2990 on: Apr 09, 2010 at 12:34 PM »
heven't heard the RX2 pero after talking with Audioworld re characteristics of the RX2. it's like having the best for HT and music packaged into one.

based on what i heard, RX2 sounds a little warmer compared to the RS1 but defitnitely sounds big for a BS, very realxing not becasue RS1 is fatigueing but RX2 has a tamer but more detailed HF( censya na po kung mali ba yang terms na yan or conflicting). I heard the RS6 as well and to me, the RX2 is very close to the LF of the RS6.

Bottomline, RS1, RS6, RX1, RX2, whichever it is, excellent sound quality, nice build atleast based on how they appear you will surely get, just a matter of which one you can afford to buy and which one fits your taste

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2991 on: Apr 09, 2010 at 12:38 PM »
You're welcome sir Onkyo606. We're all learning from this hobby, tulung-tulungan lang tayo. :)

I'm sure mas malapit ka na sa sonic nirvana. Mas mahirap talaga pag smaller room. Madalas smaller speaks and more acoustic treatment ang gamit. I'm also working with a smaller room dito sa Manila, at wala pang treatment. Aside from the reflections, marami din kalampag pag bassy tracks.

malaki ang naitulong ng bass traps at tray ng itlog sa akin sa aspetong ito, sorry po at mejo OT na pero share ko narin. Kung may room treatment, mas lalabas ng husto yung ganda ng pinakamamahal nating MAs

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #2992 on: Apr 09, 2010 at 12:52 PM »
it is not enough to bring your amps to the store. what would simulate the actual sound is bringing the prospect to your own listening environment listening to your own set of CDs/LPs. very few would allow this but it is the only way...and sadly, there is no other way.

this is true not only for speakers but up to the level of cables and interconnects, even on tweaks.

Yes sir! That is the best thing to do indeed.

Just came from Ivan's p(A)lace. His system is best described in one word, SYNERGY. Smaller room daw, eh it's quite bigger than my living room. Or baka lang talaga maliit ang living room ko.  ;D  ;D  ;D

I hope i can audition the RX2 next week kapag available na kay audioworld.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2993 on: Apr 09, 2010 at 01:45 PM »
Yes sir! That is the best thing to do indeed.

Just came from Ivan's p(A)lace. His system is best described in one word, SYNERGY. Smaller room daw, eh it's quite bigger than my living room. Or baka lang talaga maliit ang living room ko.  ;D  ;D  ;D

this will not dissapoint you sir nelson  ;)

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #2994 on: Apr 09, 2010 at 02:04 PM »
@accastil
Yes sir! That is the best thing to do indeed. I know some shops extend this accomodation to their loyal customers. I hope more of them would start doing this.
Hahah loko ka talaga Master Nelson. Yung banyo niyo pa lang daw eh di pa tapos gawan ng mapa ng mga explorers. I just have simple SS systems for my simple needs.

Maganda yang RX2 master. Shockingly good for the price para saken. Ok siya with Roksan and Yamaha electronics. :) Beginner is betting that it'd also work great sa CA 550C/A combo nya (and I think it would). Abangan natin ang purchase ni Beginner.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #2995 on: Apr 09, 2010 at 08:18 PM »
@accastil
Yes sir! That is the best thing to do indeed. I know some shops extend this accomodation to their loyal customers. I hope more of them would start doing this. Hahah loko ka talaga Master Nelson. Yung banyo niyo pa lang daw eh di pa tapos gawan ng mapa ng mga explorers. I just have simple SS systems for my simple needs.

Maganda yang RX2 master. Shockingly good for the price para saken. Ok siya with Roksan and Yamaha electronics. :) Beginner is betting that it'd also work great sa CA 550C/A combo nya (and I think it would). Abangan natin ang purchase ni Beginner.

I've heard the MAs (forgot the model) paired with Roksan sa Audioworld din. What a wonderful match! Very sweet.

Offline beginner

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2996 on: Apr 09, 2010 at 11:26 PM »
Shockingly good for the price para saken. Ok siya with Roksan and Yamaha electronics. :) Beginner is betting that it'd also work great sa CA 550C/A combo nya (and I think it would). Abangan natin ang purchase ni Beginner.

Now, that I think about it. That seems to be the most apt phrase for the RX2. I think it's one of the best at its price category. I'm sure the RX2 will sing beautifully with my 550s. Konting tiis na lang... mapapasaakin ka din...

@Nelson
Try mo magwalis sa kwarto ni Ivan... makakahakot ka pambili ng gears...  ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2010 at 05:19 AM by beginner »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #2997 on: Apr 09, 2010 at 11:57 PM »
Next time, magdadala ako ng industrial grade vacuum cleaner. Di lang kasi kasya sa bulsa ko yun 740c na nakatambak sa basurahan. Sama din pati ng tingin ng PSG sa akin.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #2998 on: Apr 10, 2010 at 12:11 AM »
Sus, aanhin naman ni Master Nelson ang no-name karaoke player ko.

Sabi mo nga Chippanga ang mga Boulder, DCS at MBL.

Offline Signal2Noise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Triode Junkie...It's MUSIC not HIFI!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2999 on: Apr 10, 2010 at 05:01 AM »

The most important thing is to know what you want and what you need in this pocket-emptying hobby to avoid confusion and ending up buying and selling of your audio gears everytime.  Research, Save and Audition then buy one time of you think that is suitable and best for your listening requirement/pleasure. :)
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2010 at 05:01 AM by Signal2Noise »
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845