Author Topic: Monitor Audio Speakers  (Read 468609 times)

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Monitor Audio Speakers
« Reply #3600 on: May 29, 2012 at 10:30 AM »
Inquiry sa england pa din ba gawa ang MA na new models now or china na? Ano ang model ng polk na puwede itapat sa silver series ng MA?  ;D ;D

Thanks
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline Signal2Noise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Triode Junkie...It's MUSIC not HIFI!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3601 on: May 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM »
Inquiry sa england pa din ba gawa ang MA na new models now or china na? Ano ang model ng polk na puwede itapat sa silver series ng MA?  ;D ;D

Thanks

Lahat ng current MA series kahit na iyong Platinum nila ay gawa na lahat sa China with the strict QC ng MA UK, ang ribbon tweeters nila ay outsourced sa Malaysia.  So far sa narinig ko, ang closest na pwedeng tumapat sa current production ng Silver ng MA ay iyong Polk LS series.  Medyo bright ang RS or RX series pero refined, kung ang Polk RTi naman, well IMHO or depende sa makikinig ay one step back.  Ang Polk ay tulad ng MA Silver series (S, RS or RX), kailangan mo ng magandang electronics otherwise magiging fatiguing kase nga forward, detailed yet medyo bright ang tunog.  Pero once na mabigyan mo both ng justice ang MA Silver or Polk LS type speakers thru good amplification, and you will be very happy :)

VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3602 on: May 29, 2012 at 11:21 AM »
Lahat ng current MA series kahit na iyong Platinum nila ay gawa na lahat sa China with the strict QC ng MA UK, ang ribbon tweeters nila ay outsourced sa Malaysia.  So far sa narinig ko, ang closest na pwedeng tumapat sa current production ng Silver ng MA ay iyong Polk LS series.  Medyo bright ang RS or RX series pero refined, kung ang Polk RTi naman, well IMHO or depende sa makikinig ay one step back.  Ang Polk ay tulad ng MA Silver series (S, RS or RX), kailangan mo ng magandang electronics otherwise magiging fatiguing kase nga forward, detailed yet medyo bright ang tunog.  Pero once na mabigyan mo both ng justice ang MA Silver or Polk LS type speakers thru good amplification, and you will be very happy :)

Thanks brader i will be pairing it with Yamaha Aventage RX-A2010 sana makuha ko na budget ko this week para maka purchase na.  ;D ;D
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline sovrain

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #3603 on: May 29, 2012 at 11:45 AM »

Thanks
ang tanong dapat, anong speakers ang katapat ng gears mo, and I will say go for MA gold or polk's LSi ;D ;D ;D
Marantz SR5005/PM90/SA8260
Mission Mx5/C2/1/S
Klipsch RW12D
TEAC UD-HO1|Trio TT|Asus O'play|MED1000X

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #3604 on: May 29, 2012 at 12:18 PM »
ang tanong dapat, anong speakers ang katapat ng gears mo, and I will say go for MA gold or polk's LSi ;D ;D ;D

Ubos na ata ang LSi...

Offline @nk71

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Collector
  • :o)
  • Liked:
« Reply #3605 on: May 29, 2012 at 12:53 PM »
The last photo of my MA GR-10 hours before it was handed over to his new happy & proud owner from Yokohama, Japan.....
(The last Gold series of MA that was Originally Handcrafted in England)

Nice !

Offline Cosmic79

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3606 on: May 29, 2012 at 01:03 PM »

+100
Audio Hobbyist

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3607 on: May 29, 2012 at 01:11 PM »

huhu ala pa ako gears nag plaplan pa lang ako.  >:( >:(

Sa iyo yata yung comparison brader. Nangulam ka pa eh di uubra yan kasi ala na LSI stock sa disyerto.  ;D ;D

Ubos na ata ang LSi...

Ou ubos na LSI sa disyerto pero local ata meron pa di ko lang alam.  ;D ;D

USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline Cosmic79

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3608 on: May 29, 2012 at 01:40 PM »
Thanks brader i will be pairing it with Yamaha Aventage RX-A2010 sana makuha ko na budget ko this week para maka purchase na.  ;D ;D

As far as I know, Yamaha receivers uses Burr-Brown built in DACs and also read from the Yamaha website, the RX-A2010 also uses Burr-Brown 192khz/24bit all channels driven. Burr Browns usually give out punchy bass and warm sound. I think NAD also uses Burr Brown ( not sure )  I think either the Monitor Audio or Polk Audio will be a good match for your Yamaha on both music and movies. Polk Audio is nice for movies as it has that "forward attack"
Audio Hobbyist

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3609 on: May 29, 2012 at 03:16 PM »
As far as I know, Yamaha receivers uses Burr-Brown built in DACs and also read from the Yamaha website, the RX-A2010 also uses Burr-Brown 192khz/24bit all channels driven. Burr Browns usually give out punchy bass and warm sound. I think NAD also uses Burr Brown ( not sure )  I think either the Monitor Audio or Polk Audio will be a good match for your Yamaha on both music and movies. Polk Audio is nice for movies as it has that "forward attack"

Thanks brader.  ;D ;D

USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3610 on: May 29, 2012 at 10:33 PM »
with all due respect, I think speaker comparison should be done in the appropriate thread, this is the Monitor Audio speaker thread and it would always be nice for people wanting to read about MAs to determine merits of the speaker thorugh a dedicated MA thread.

I think there's nothing wrong in doing a comparison.....  Let's say si Pedro ang speakers niya ay Polk and he's curious about the MA, so it's just fine for him to make his Polk as his reference especially kung hindi pa niya naririnig ang MA.  So I would ask you, if someone inquired about the performance of MA and make other speaker brands as his/her reference given that you've heard the other brand, what would you say?  So how will you justify the brand with respect to his reference speaker being the Polk for example?  This is not about a shootout of speaker brands.  It's about how you give your opinion to those who might be interested to own a pair of MA and in your own little way, you helped the brand or the company with that information you provided....Baka after ng discussion ninyo ay nagulo ang mundo niya and bumili siya ng isang pares ng MA, who knows?

Even sa professional reviews they do comparison like the one below, excerpt from Monitor Audio RS6 review by Robert Reina - Stereophile.

Comparisons
I compared the Monitor Audio Silver RS6 ($999/pair) with three other loudspeakers: the NHT SB3 ($600/pair), the Epos M5 ($695/pair), and the Amphion Helium2 ($1000/pair).

The NHT SB3 was sweet, warm, and romantic in the midrange, but with less inner detail and less extended highs than the Monitor RS6. The NHT's midbass was more colored and sluggish, and its overall transient articulation was not as fast or as clean as the Monitor's. Dynamics, overall, were better through the Monitor.

The Epos M5 was clean and crisp, with a rich midrange and extended highs, but the Monitor's highs were more delicate, and its bass extension and high-level dynamics were superior. The Epos's inner-midrange detail was excellent, but the Monitor's was slightly better. The two speakers' low-level dynamics and lower-midrange neutrality were equal.

The Amphion Helium2's midrange detail and neutrality were as good as the Monitor's, and the Amphion's highs were as extended and detailed—but the Monitor's highs were a touch more delicate. The Amphion's midbass was uncolored, but the Monitor's bass extension and high-level dynamic slam were superior.

IMHO....regards :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012 at 10:35 PM by Signal2Noise »
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #3611 on: May 29, 2012 at 10:49 PM »
I think there's nothing wrong in doing a comparison.....  Let's say si Pedro ang speakers niya ay Polk and he's curious about the MA, so it's just fine for him to make his Polk as his reference especially kung hindi pa niya naririnig ang MA.  So I would ask you, if someone inquired about the performance of MA and make other speaker brands as his/her reference given that you've heard the other brand, what would you say?  So how will you justify the brand with respect to his reference speaker being the Polk for example?  This is not about a shootout of speaker brands.  It's about how you give your opinion to those who might be interested to own a pair of MA and in your own little way, you helped the brand or the company with that information you provided....Baka after ng discussion ninyo ay nagulo ang mundo niya and bumili siya ng isang pares ng MA, who knows?

Even sa professional reviews they do comparison like the one below, excerpt from Monitor Audio RS6 review by Robert Reina - Stereophile.

Comparisons
I compared the Monitor Audio Silver RS6 ($999/pair) with three other loudspeakers: the NHT SB3 ($600/pair), the Epos M5 ($695/pair), and the Amphion Helium2 ($1000/pair).

The NHT SB3 was sweet, warm, and romantic in the midrange, but with less inner detail and less extended highs than the Monitor RS6. The NHT's midbass was more colored and sluggish, and its overall transient articulation was not as fast or as clean as the Monitor's. Dynamics, overall, were better through the Monitor.

The Epos M5 was clean and crisp, with a rich midrange and extended highs, but the Monitor's highs were more delicate, and its bass extension and high-level dynamics were superior. The Epos's inner-midrange detail was excellent, but the Monitor's was slightly better. The two speakers' low-level dynamics and lower-midrange neutrality were equal.

The Amphion Helium2's midrange detail and neutrality were as good as the Monitor's, and the Amphion's highs were as extended and detailed—but the Monitor's highs were a touch more delicate. The Amphion's midbass was uncolored, but the Monitor's bass extension and high-level dynamic slam were superior.

IMHO....regards :)

The way i understand Onkyo, i think he, or the mods, would prefer that we open a new thread like "Polk comparisonS VS M.A." or the like. Rather than compare Polk in a dedicated MA thread.

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3612 on: May 29, 2012 at 10:55 PM »
The way i understand Onkyo, i think he, or the mods, would prefer that we open a new thread like "Polk comparisonS VS M.A." or the like. Rather than compare Polk in a dedicated MA thread.

So bro if I post professional reviews for Monitor Audio here with comparison for the sake of reference ay hindi puwede...is this your understanding?  Just curious....
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #3613 on: May 29, 2012 at 11:20 PM »
So bro if I post professional reviews for Monitor Audio here with comparison for the sake of reference ay hindi puwede...is this your understanding?  Just curious....

That is not my understanding as per Onkyo's statement.

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3614 on: May 29, 2012 at 11:30 PM »
That is not my understanding as per Onkyo's statement.

Just FYI or Onkyo's Info....In this very thread, you will find several comparisons of MA to other brands (like Mission, Kef, Infinity, Polk and B&W) made by those people who came 2 years before me when I first posted in this thread in 2005. 
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #3615 on: May 30, 2012 at 06:14 AM »

Just FYI or Onkyo's Info....In this very thread, you will find several comparisons of MA to other brands (like Mission, Kef, Infinity, Polk and B&W) made by those people who came 2 years before me when I first posted in this thread in 2005. 

Noted.  ;)

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3616 on: May 30, 2012 at 07:11 AM »
Nough said guys...lets get at the topic  ;)
had my RX set delivered awhile ago....

I just tested RX1 (driven by Rotel 1068/Rotel 1070 for fronts in two channel mode)
while listening to Diana Krall & Nora Jones' music
Found out that the voice are more detailed and highs medyo refined na sya (controlled, warm) at nakakarelax,
and one can easily determine and identify where the voice & highs and mid bass are coming from (I can't explain it in just one word) thus makes the blending of sounds and instruments much detailed.
while my previous S2 was more raw and agressive and sometimes can be fatiguing when listeing to long hours (maybe due to amp/speaker mismatch, rotel are bright amp + S2 bright speakers) now it's corrected somehow

RX2 naman same as RX1 but with much deeper bass very good for those that doesn't want to add sub in their set up (or a stereo amp that doesn't have sub out)
but you need to increase volume a bit to hear each details, I find the RX1 easier to drive sa mahinang volume palang ramdam mo na detalye...

I'll add more impressions soon as I haven't hook my RX center for HT purposes and possible pictures pag sinipag as well

Can't comment about RX1 with AVR, but what I experienced during a demo with an RX1, RX2 & GX-100 paired with either 6550 or KT88-based tube amp.  RX1 in a bit open space say about 2ft from the corner / walls, without the foam bungs and damn...You have a topnotch loudspeakers in a small package.  

For RX2, you need to crank up the volume a bit higher to drive those 8" woofer, punchy bass but the RX1 will outperform the RX2 in terms of mids and crispy highs.  GX-100, well it's a different breed but it's a jaw-dropping, mouth watering, orgasmic and gorgeous-looking speakers.  I almost got the GX but my wife stared at me like hell :D.  The key thing that I noticed about MA speakers with rear firing port was, they require an ample space to breathe w/o the foam bungs and both the RX1 and GX-100 less the biwire deserved the titles Revolutionary Silver & Gold....Cheers to everyone :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012 at 07:13 AM by Signal2Noise »
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #3617 on: May 30, 2012 at 07:45 AM »

hi, nad uses sigma delta dac on it's low-end cdps, while it's higher end cdps uses wolfson. an onkyo avr uses burr-brown.

going back to the topic, my take on the rx2 is it's one of the most balance sounding standalone bookshelves out there. it's dynamic and can adapt to many music genres. it's one of the speakers in my wish list  ;)

Offline warmaster

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • My body... My temple...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #3618 on: May 30, 2012 at 09:13 AM »
hi, nad uses sigma delta dac on it's low-end cdps, while it's higher end cdps uses wolfson. an onkyo avr uses burr-brown.

going back to the topic, my take on the rx2 is it's one of the most balance sounding standalone bookshelves out there. it's dynamic and can adapt to many music genres. it's one of the speakers in my wish list  ;)

you and i both! tagal naman ng birthday ko kasi hehehe.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #3619 on: May 30, 2012 at 09:48 AM »

going back to the topic, my take on the rx2 is it's one of the most balance sounding standalone bookshelves out there. it's dynamic and can adapt to many music genres. it's one of the speakers in my wish list  ;)

Delta-sigma / sigma-delta is an encoding method. The Wolfson DACs that they use also utilize Delta-sigma modulation (and this is also the case for the TI/Burr-Brown DACs in Onkyo AVRs).

NAD just withheld their DAC source for their entry level models. Afaik, those models use Cirrus/Crystal DACs. Many older NAD models did use TI/Burr-Brown DACs.

Imho, the DAC chip is only one of the many factors that affect the output of a device. You can't tell how a car would perform just by basing on the manufacturer's choice of parts suppliers.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012 at 09:52 AM by Stagea »

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3620 on: May 31, 2012 at 12:07 AM »
Just my opinion based on my previous listening/demo sessions....

SS Stereo Amplifiers that will matched best with MA RX & GX models

1. Naim Nait 5i
2. Roksan Kandy L3 or K2
3. Rotel 1520

But if you have more legal tenders to burn and you want an amplifier that will drive the best of RX, GX or even the Platinum.....Check the brand....Lavardin.  This is a SS amp with tube-sound character, a topnotch and excellent piece of electronics. :)

http://www.lavardin.com/lavardin-gammeE.html
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012 at 12:40 AM by Signal2Noise »
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Digities

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3621 on: Jun 02, 2012 at 03:49 PM »
how about an indepth comparison or more detailed comparison of the rs1 and rx1.

i find it's easier to pinpoint instruments with the rs over the rx and it's a touch more open.. can someone add to this (positive or negative) ?

Offline gbernardo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3622 on: Jun 09, 2012 at 10:49 PM »
Hi All,

I have a pair of MA BR5 floorstanders that I bought a few years ago. Would it match with a BX center speaker? Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3623 on: Jun 12, 2012 at 02:11 AM »
Hi All,

I have a pair of MA BR5 floorstanders that I bought a few years ago. Would it match with a BX center speaker? Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Yes, definitely.  Both speakers belongs to the same Bronze class.... :)
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3624 on: Jun 12, 2012 at 02:37 AM »
how about an indepth comparison or more detailed comparison of the rs1 and rx1.

i find it's easier to pinpoint instruments with the rs over the rx and it's a touch more open.. can someone add to this (positive or negative) ?

Yes / No, that depends on few reasons.  1. You might have a fully broken-in RS1 when you compared it with a brand new RX1.  2.  Your ears are already used to with the RS1 and having a brand new pair of RX1, you might  have the tendency of expecting the same performance as with your RS1 immediately.  3. That depends on who will listen to both speakers, side-by-side with both electronics, source, cables and listening environment. :)
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #3625 on: Jun 12, 2012 at 07:04 AM »
Yes / No, that depends on few reasons.  1. You might have a fully broken-in RS1 when you compared it with a brand new RX1.  2.  Your ears are already used to with the RS1 and having a brand new pair of RX1, you might  have the tendency of expecting the same performance as with your RS1 immediately.  3. That depends on who will listen to both speakers, side-by-side with both electronics, source, cables and listening environment. :)

Masarap yan i-A/B test.  :D

Offline gbernardo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3626 on: Jun 12, 2012 at 08:19 AM »
Yes, definitely.  Both speakers belongs to the same Bronze class.... :)

Thanks very much!  :)

Offline jake052478

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3627 on: Aug 15, 2012 at 09:10 AM »
anyone comparing the bx2 to rti a3?

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #3628 on: Aug 15, 2012 at 09:38 AM »

They sound very different from one another. Call MLY if you want to arrange a comparison.
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2012 at 09:39 AM by Stagea »

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #3629 on: Aug 15, 2012 at 09:41 AM »

I'll quote Don Master StageA's review on the BX2.
" BX2 is voiced to sound pleasing to the average listener."
"The BX2 will be less fatiguing to listen to and would appear punchier and livelier"
which I thoroughly agree on. It's warm sounding and has good balance.

Compared to the A3, I find that the polk tends to sound sharper. For a few more thousand pesos, there are more choices like the Paradigm Mini Monitor, PSB B6, Acoustic Energy Neo 1, KEF Q100, Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2.