Author Topic: Experimental Cinema of the Philippines  (Read 36176 times)

Offline jdv1229

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Experimental Cinema of the Philippines
« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2007 at 07:55 AM »
there was a scene near the end of Big Time where the meeting place was behind  the MFC... i was surprised to see how it looks now...

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: May 18, 2007 at 07:58 AM »
Yeah it looks entirely different now. When I was watching Cinemalaya at the CCP, the atmosphere of the Manila Film Center came back to my senses.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: May 18, 2007 at 07:59 AM »
it does... i heard that the MFC is the venue for gay performance artists...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2007 at 08:09 AM »
My cousin who watched the last full screening of SCORPIO NIGHTS had some eerie experience in the comfort room at MFC. The toilet bowl will flush even though there is no other person beside him.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007 at 08:10 AM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: May 18, 2007 at 08:10 AM »
maybe it's auto-flush...  ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2007 at 08:16 AM »
And he can't forget when he sat on the chair, its so wet and slippery. Maybe some beverages spilled there. ;D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007 at 08:18 AM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: May 18, 2007 at 06:50 PM »
who knows what really happened? i've been then numerous times but never had any weird experiences...  :(

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2007 at 06:53 PM »
Do you believe in ghost stories? They show on channel 7 last year the footage wherein some of the construction workers were buried in the cement and asking for help. But no news whether they were retrieve from the construction site.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: May 18, 2007 at 07:03 PM »
depends... when i first read about the deaths during the MFC's consturction, i got goosebumps but i never really experienced anything extraordinary everytime i went there...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2007 at 07:07 PM »
Maybe it remains a myth until now. But fact for some people.

Celso Ad Castillo's SNAKE SISTERS was pulled out from the tenth day at MFC because of the clamor of the moralists.  ::)

I wonder how did Johnny Litton handle the controversies?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007 at 08:41 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2007 at 07:10 PM »
apparently, it didn't affect him at all... in the following years after the MIFF they screened films like The Boatman, Isla, Scorpio Nighs and the like...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: May 18, 2007 at 07:19 PM »
What was ECP's biggest hit when it comes to skin flicks, Jo? Is it SCORPIO NIGHTS, VIRGIN FOREST or ISLA?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: May 18, 2007 at 07:27 PM »
Scorpio followed by Isla... these films were their biggest moneymakers. Virgin Forest was a disappointment... everybody who I saw it with shouted harang...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: May 18, 2007 at 07:36 PM »
VIRGIN FOREST was more of historical drama than bold. Its more art film than exploitation. And yeah the threesome of Sarsi, Miguel and Abel Jurado are tame. But the opening scenes are so, hot!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007 at 09:34 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: May 31, 2007 at 05:57 PM »

Nora Aunor on HIMALA:

"Nanominate ako sa lahat ng award giving bodies pero wala ako nakuha kahit isang award except for the MMFF. Wala daw ako ginawa kundi dumipa ng dumipa!"

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: May 31, 2007 at 06:21 PM »
FAMAS thought the same way that's why she was nominated for her performance in Mga Uod At Rosas rather than Himala in 1982...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: May 31, 2007 at 06:31 PM »
I was watching again the docu on HIMALA last weekend and its too bad Cinema One didn't include Nora on the retrospective documentary.

RELASYON is now on my watch list this Sunday, time to weigh again the much-talked about grand slam feat of Vilma over Nora which incidentally are two Bernal flicks.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007 at 06:36 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: May 31, 2007 at 06:54 PM »
it's really difficult to get hold of Ate Guy, the one thing about her is that when she's done with a project, she never looks back on it again, she moves on to the next one...

i think Vilma is outstanding in Relasyon but far better in Broken Marriage. Nora is simply excellent in Himala, like what Bernal mentioned, moviegoers wasn't ready for a film like Himala in 1982, true enough, years later film entusiasts and critics still rave on it's brilliance... truly a masterwork of Philippine Cinema...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: May 31, 2007 at 06:57 PM »
On the over-all impact, HIMALA is more powerful than RELASYON. Bernal controlled totally the film from beginning to end. And Nora seized the opportunity of a lifetime on its climactic finale!

Agree with you on Vilma regarding BROKEN MARRIAGE.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007 at 07:07 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: May 31, 2007 at 07:06 PM »
indeed it is! Relasyon was the first movie to focus on the other woman as a human being... a far cry from the caricatures created in movies by Bella Flores, Zeny Zabala, Milagros Naval and Carol Varga. Vilma infused Marilou's character with such humanity that it's difficult to ignore the truthfulness she injected to the role.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: May 31, 2007 at 07:20 PM »
Bernal always end his film with some symbolic meanings. BROKEN MARRIAGE ends in a church where Vilma and Boyet just glance with each other.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: May 31, 2007 at 07:28 PM »
really? i thought the film ended with the entire family having a picnic at the beach...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Aug 31, 2007 at 11:01 PM »
Interesting write-up from Howie Severino's blog.

I've been away exploring a haunted building. And I learned that it may not be spooked in the way we've all imagined. Nearly 25 years after the horrific tragedy that still defines it, the Manila Film Center hosted a different kind of quest -- a quest for facts.

Imelda had wanted coconut trunk-like pillars on her Greek Parthenon-inspired film palace, but her nervous architects managed to convince her otherwise. The man sitting next to the third pillar from the right gives a sense of its size.

The Manila Film Center, in a far corner of the Cultural Center complex on Roxas Blvd., is probably the country's most infamous structure. Some would say it is cursed, although a Korean-owned company is currently making a flamboyant effort to rehabilitate its image with a transvestite Las Vegas-like act. Now housing the "Amazing Philippine Theatre," the massive building is patronized nightly by dozens of Korean honeymooners who pose in front of the kitschy Egyptian Pharoah figure above the doorway before entering to enjoy the performance by the "country's prettiest gays." Most of the couples are completely unaware of its ghostly reputation, if one doesn't consider Filipino males with long hairless legs as apparitions.

But prettiest gays or not, ordinary superstition-loving Filipinos have avoided the building like SARS.
Even before it was finished in 1982, in time for the Manila International Film Festival, Imelda's film palace -- as others would call it -- suffered the first of its outrageous misfortunes. On November 17, 1981, during the pouring of cement, an upper floor collapsed, sending an untold number of workers hurtling into fresh cement or onto upright steel bars where they hung like barbeque (this was a witness's analogy, not mine) for hours until their bodies were retrieved.

The story all this time, or at least as I and countless others believed it, was that Imelda immediately ordered the bodies in the cement to be paved over so that work could resume and her looming deadline met. News about the tragedy was censored during the martial law era, so rumors and ghosts filled the vaccum.

Ghosts take over

Since then, as legend would have it, the Manila Film Center has become a haven for the supernatural, as spirits of the dead bodies encased in high-strength cement plead for recovery and a decent burial. So-called "spirit questors" have confirmed it, as well as various mediums (media?) and manghuhula.

In other words, that Parthenon-inspired white elephant in a dark, secluded spot next to Manila Bay is a fu****g scary place.

On top of that, it has become a gargantuan symbol of Imelda's edifice complex. The Manila Film Center did once house government agencies that promoted Philippine cinema, and is credited, at least by Marcos-era impresario Johnny Litton, for making possible Peque Gallaga's classic, Oro, Plata, Mata.

Later, after the Cory government repudiated everything Imeldific, the film palace lost its glamor when it became the government's central passport office. Then the 1990 earthquake struck. The building shook and the stairs and road around the structure cracked.

Sufficiently spooked, the passport people abandoned the building, which was visited afterwards only occasionally by people interested in the occult or film fanatics led by the CCP's Ed Cabagnot who once organized a colorum film screening there. In 2001, the Koreans started renting it for their version of the gay shows that draw the tourist multitudes in Thailand.

Giant Egyptian-inspired dog figurines now welcome Korean honeymooners to Filipino gay shows at the film center. In Egypt, dog gods from antiquity stand guard outside the tombs of the Pharoahs.

All this time, the Manila Film Center has retained a reputation as a cursed, spooky remnant of Imeldific excess. Only the Koreans have had the guts to use it commercially.

The question that has hovered like Casper above all conversations about the place: How many are really buried in there?

That question drove our Halloween-night I-Witness documentary on what really happened on November 17, 1981. Fact-finding, not ghost hunting, was our mission.

I must say that we weren't that much more successful than the generation of ghost hunters who preceded us. But what we realized made us doubt what everyone has taken for granted all these years.

A half-baked conclusion

After numerous return trips to the film center's dark and eery catacombs, futile efforts to find a paper trail, and interviews with survivors and loved ones of dead construction workers, my half-baked conclusion: Not more than a dozen died (we heard figures as high as 169, which was based on an Inquirer account of a spirit questor expedition years ago), and NONE of them left behind in the Manila Film Center. Why are you surprised?

First of all, we couldn't find anyone who knew anyone in there, including relatives. If there really were dozens of skeletons still encased in cement in the film palace, we are almost sure we would have been able to trace loved ones, or they would have found us. The construction workers who survived the incident did not know anyone, nor did they know anyone who knew anyone missing in the building.

We know from years of working in media that the relatives of missing people are extremely persistent and vocal, driven as they are by a human desire for closure on their grief. I think this would have been the case even if they were bribed by Imelda, which is one theory for why they have been so quiet through all these years. I have my own theory: the missing don't exist.

One witness told us that workers cleared the bodies and the debris from the theater floor before resuming the construction, which was finished the same day that international stars like Jeremy Irons and George Hamilton waltzed in.

Anatomy of an Urban Legend

If the ghosts we hear about represent the souls of the dead unceremoniously buried under the theater floor, then they are probably ghosts in our minds. In other words, they are an Urban Legend that spread due to the confluence of the following: the horror of what happened in November 1981; news censorship during martial law which created a black hole where credible information should have been; hatred of the Marcoses, so many were prepared to believe the worst about an Imelda project; and the average Filipino's unquestioned belief in ghosts.

Unless someone can produce the facts to prove otherwise, or even just relatives, the case of the missing workers inside the Manila Film Center must be one of the country's biggest urban legends ever.

If there are any ghosts at all, they are the lies and illusions from the past which have yet to be exposed for what they are. Scarier than the ghosts in our minds are the real-life ghosts in our midst: a place of horrible tragedy that has been swept under the rug of censorship; an Imelda Marcos who still waltzes around town in her terno as if the crimes of martial law never happened; and the possibility that such horrors can happen again and no accounting takes place.

Our consolation is a new view of the Manila Film Center: it's not a giant tomb, but just the scene of yet another Marcos-era bloodbath. If all of those who have been so bent through the years on finding ghosts can summon the same will to locate all the facts, maybe we can finally see the truth.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Sep 01, 2007 at 07:42 PM »
in the documentary Signed Lino Brocka, the late National Artist for  Film talked about the MFC complete with footage of the accident. it gave me goosebumps...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Sep 01, 2007 at 07:45 PM »
Saw it also on tv before, very creepy! The workers are trapped in the cement and imagine if they were not really rescued?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Sep 01, 2007 at 07:49 PM »
they were trapped in quick dry cement. limbs had to be cut to save lives sadly most of the surviving workers were burried alive...
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2007 at 07:50 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Sep 01, 2007 at 07:52 PM »
Jojo do you remember the oxygen that was brought to the accident site? It was brought to give medical attention to the workers that were trapped in the dry cement to give them first aid. The others died instantly.  :o

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Sep 01, 2007 at 07:54 PM »
i think that footage was included in the documentary...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Sep 01, 2007 at 08:10 PM »

Was this a hit at the Manila Film Center, Jo?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Sep 01, 2007 at 08:19 PM »
i didn't watch it at the MFC, only during it's theatrical run which was a flop...