Author Topic: TROY (R3)  (Read 51977 times)

Offline ThePatriot

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: TROY (R3)
« Reply #240 on: Oct 15, 2004 at 06:16 PM »
sa astro sucat.. wala pa ang post cards and posters.. :(

bro musta na? got my post cards this afternoon sa astro glorietta, pero walang binigay na poster sa kin... :( :) :)
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2004 at 06:16 PM by ThePatriot »

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #241 on: Oct 15, 2004 at 06:17 PM »
the labels are not that good. the colors are not solid but somewhat bleed into each other. However, the value for what you get is great as the R1 dvd alone would cost what we paid for our Limited edition

eeey that's the right term, the color bleeds.
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline hemisphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #242 on: Oct 15, 2004 at 07:27 PM »
Patriot.. oks naman ako... preparing ka na ba??  8)

krets.. yung film ba ang nag-bleed? joke...  napaka effortless naman kasi ni legolas nung last part ng film..  ;D

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #243 on: Oct 15, 2004 at 07:47 PM »

Meron na daw sabi ni Kuya Tony :)

Got it bro before I went home after office.... :)

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #244 on: Oct 15, 2004 at 07:50 PM »
krets.. yung film ba ang nag-bleed? joke... napaka effortless naman kasi ni legolas nung last part ng film.. ;D

hahahaha nandun ba si legolas sa troy?  ;D hehe eh coward naman talaga si paris sa troy eh hehe  ;D
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #245 on: Oct 15, 2004 at 07:56 PM »
yeah si paris aka legolas. i prefer to call the calcium kid as legolas.. hahahha...  this is a missed shot film from wolfgang...  si boromir ba yung isang character??   ;D

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #246 on: Oct 15, 2004 at 11:54 PM »
Just got my copy. The Leather Box is cool. Love the postcards but i think theyre not really postcards at all, it got pictures back to back.  The print is nice.  The poster is trashable though, its just a small size low quality paper poster.

This set is really a bargain, one of the best R3 purchased I ever made.  ;D

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #247 on: Oct 16, 2004 at 01:52 AM »
 ;D Went to my suking Astrovision this afternoon and when I saw the LE box, I asked the salesmanager to give it to me at the same promo price of P1300 (after dropping of course Pinoydvd). She said yes after calling some peeps. Then I told her that I will withdraw some cash. Between the time going to the atm machine and coming back to Astro, something possessed me. I told myself I intend to get this and that title soon so I should scrimp and not owning the Troy LE is not going to hurt me anyway. In other words, I chickened out. So wanted na ako dun sa branch na yun.

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: Oct 16, 2004 at 02:34 PM »
Just got my copy. The Leather Box is cool. Love the postcards but i think theyre not really postcards at all, it got pictures back to back.  The print is nice.  The poster is trashable though, its just a small size low quality paper poster.

This set is really a bargain, one of the best R3 purchased I ever made.  ;D

sana they would give us the original back to back movie poster. :).Tinatapon naman din nila yun dba.So why not give it to us.

Offline Y_meeh

• DVD Addict
  • I want adventure in the great wide somewhere-belle
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: Oct 16, 2004 at 09:05 PM »
loved the postcards, wasn't able to get a poster....
Lyf seems a succession of busy nothings - Austen

Offline Koolkat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Kawaiii!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #250 on: Oct 16, 2004 at 09:10 PM »
Yup, me too. I was able to get the postcards pero walang poster. Di bale na, it would be weird if someone saw pretty boy Pitt adorning the walls of my room. ;D
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

Offline diver

• DVD Guru
  • squeeze meee !!! quack quack
  • Liked:
« Reply #251 on: Oct 17, 2004 at 12:17 AM »
Got my free poster, postcards and raffle stubs today at Astro Festival Mall  ;D ;D ;D
"Life is a work of art, designed by the one who lives it."

Offline Glenn Patrick

• Collector
  • I love New York!
  • Liked:
« Reply #252 on: Oct 17, 2004 at 12:30 AM »
Gusto ko yung "Remember" ni Josh Groban sa end credits.  :-*

Offline wrAth

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Simple lang, pero rock.
  • Liked:
« Reply #253 on: Oct 17, 2004 at 04:59 AM »
i just found out how bad a movie this is.

petersen wanted his Gladiator, but obviously didn't get it.

tsk.
Quo vadis?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #254 on: Oct 17, 2004 at 11:29 AM »
i just found out how bad a movie this is.

petersen wanted his Gladiator, but obviously didn't get it.

tsk.

We have the same views regarding this movie....Pitt has no depth in some dramatic scenes....eclipsed by Eric Bana,  the competent Peter O'Toole. And the worst James Horner musical score.....it cant be at par with Ridley Scott's GLADIATOR.

tries to echo the scope & grandeur of Gladiator  but never achieved the power & sweep of it....but in fairness to Pitt he excels at the action scenes but lacks emotion....
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2004 at 08:25 PM by keating »

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #255 on: Oct 17, 2004 at 11:22 PM »
I agree that Troy is not as good as Gladiator, but I think it is not as bad as others say it is either.  Medyo OA naman yung ibang criticism. It has its moments.

As for Pitts acting, I think one of the reason he was cast as Achilles was because of the lack of emotion Pitts face must have.  I'm not a fan of Pitt either, and I dont consider him as a serious actor, but this role suited him just fine.  lol   As far a I can remember in the Iliad, Achilles was supposed to be emotionless and insensate, after all his the greatest warrior-killer in the Greek Mythology.

But yes, they could have than a far better job on the Greek Epic.  But it's good enough.

Anyway, still thinks this could be a classic, not all film that are considered classic are great films to begin with.  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2004 at 11:34 PM by Mr. Big Boy »

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #256 on: Oct 18, 2004 at 04:15 AM »
and i thought i was alone when i politely posted " sadly, the film can't keep up with its LE packaging". i was so hesitant to post a direct but honest opinion because people tend to get so emotionally attached to some films or genre.

btw, Brad Pitt is always typecast(sp) to this kind of role. same effort in Meet Joe Black ,Snatch and Fight Club. But the films mentioned were directed differently.. in fact way better than Troy.

even the score sometimes are irritating... opening sequence copied audio snippets from Terminator combined with Black Hawk Down formula, among other films.. Score in duels reminds me of Hero, which is a better Asian film btw... and the never ending cuts in the script.

anyhow, three great things about this film: first, Eric Bana's performance; second, spectacular special effects.. and lastly of course, it was released in LE here in the Philippines, ahead of R1...

8)

Offline ThePatriot

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #257 on: Oct 18, 2004 at 09:18 AM »
Patriot.. oks naman ako... preparing ka na ba??  8)

preparing na bro, medyo kinakabahan ng konti... :) :) :)

Offline Y_meeh

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #258 on: Oct 18, 2004 at 09:50 AM »
anyhow, three great things about this film: first, Eric Bana's performance; second, spectacular special effects.. and lastly of course, it was released in LE here in the Philippines, ahead of R1...

8)

five great things about this film: first, Eric Bana's performance as a brother, second, Eric Bana's performance as a son, third, Eric Bana's performance as a husband, fourth Eric Bana's performance as a leader of troy, fifth Brad Pitt's legs :)

oh... the packaging of course is a plus

obviously i'm very much attached to the film just because of Eric Bana's performance...  8)

Offline wrAth

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Simple lang, pero rock.
  • Liked:
« Reply #259 on: Oct 18, 2004 at 10:37 AM »
i've come to loathe eric bana. probably solely because he reminds me of someone i know whose very image stirs up my blood pressure. hehehe. sorry na lang si eric bana.

still, eric bana or no eric bana, i'm superfluously pleased i wasn't able to watch Tory during its theatrical run. not even Diane Kruger, whose face, and body, probably could've launched most, if not all of those "thousand ships", could've given me my money's and time's worth, if i had.

yet, i must submit, whatever prowess eric bana has for acting was overwhelmingly subdued by how lousy the film is. frankly, i'm still puzzled how the movie wasn't able to find any sense of self even after nearly 3hours of screen time.

IMHO, of course.
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2004 at 10:49 AM by wrAth »
Quo vadis?

Offline drojan

• Collector
  • hello
  • Liked:
« Reply #260 on: Oct 18, 2004 at 10:38 AM »
this dvd is soo cool! i love the packaging! it just makes me stare at it the whole day  :)

Offline Y_meeh

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #261 on: Oct 18, 2004 at 01:44 PM »
me gotsy the free poster and they gave me another set of postcards :)

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #262 on: Oct 18, 2004 at 02:51 PM »
hey guys!

im new here, and this fb is a really great help. just found out today that the Troy LE is now available in astro stores.  just got a copy awhile ago at lunch break. too bad i didnt know about the reservation, so i got it for 1500. im quite disappointed that its just the same dvd with some special case and booklet. but overall, troy LE is great. i hope they'll continue producing SE/LE versions here so we dont have to buy copies from other countries.  ;)

got my copy from astro glorietta, and i only got the dvd + postcards. i guess posters are out of stock  :(

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #263 on: Oct 18, 2004 at 05:01 PM »
i've come to loathe eric bana. probably solely because he reminds me of someone i know whose very image stirs up my blood pressure. hehehe. sorry na lang si eric bana.

still, eric bana or no eric bana, i'm superfluously pleased i wasn't able to watch Tory during its theatrical run. not even Diane Kruger, whose face, and body, probably could've launched most, if not all of those "thousand ships", could've given me my money's and time's worth, if i had.

yet, i must submit, whatever prowess eric bana has for acting was overwhelmingly subdued by how lousy the film is. frankly, i'm still puzzled how the movie wasn't able to find any sense of self even after nearly 3hours of screen time.

IMHO, of course.

simply because Petersen has no  visuals to speak or knock off...unlike Ridley Scott.... I consider him the Man with Cinema's greatest EYE....

if he megged the movie.....TROY could be a classic one.
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2004 at 05:07 PM by keating »

Offline cherubrock

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • use soap
  • Liked:
« Reply #264 on: Oct 18, 2004 at 06:54 PM »
While opinions about the movie itself may be highly polarized, I think that as far as the LE goes everyone can agree (albeit in varying degrees) that it was indeed a good buy. As for me, lucky that I liked the movie itself  ;) While I can understand the comparison between Troy and Gladiator, IMHO both have their individual strengths (and/or weaknesses, as your own opinion may be) that I'm just glad both are an integral part of my collection.  ;D

And as RNIverson says, I hope this isn't the last of LE's but rather a start of a new trend among local distributors  :)

OT: keating, yung rental fee na nga yung price reduction eh! Hehehe..  ;D See ya again soon!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #265 on: Oct 18, 2004 at 08:41 PM »
I bought the dvd because of its packaging not the movie itself..... ;D its really worth for the price alone..... :)

OT- cherubrock dude.....appreciate very much our ist deal....hope more to come.... ;D

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #266 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 03:14 AM »
Petersen, obviuosly, was relying on star power to sell the movie. I mean look at the cast - Brad Pitt, Eric Bana, Orlando Bloom! These are the "in" actors now. Brad Pitt alone will draw a lot of female viewers. My wife was already scheduling our theater date as soon as she saw the trailer. The movie was really packaged to be a Brad Pitt vehicle. Nagsingit pa sila ng love angle between Achilles and Briseis that is not in the Iliad just to add some romance to bring in the ladies to cinemas.

Even the supporting cast is made up of some heavy weights: Peter O' Toole, Sean Bean, Julie Christie, Brendan Gleeson.

My personal opinion is that the use of big names weakened the film because it miscasted some of them - one good example is Brendan Gleeson as Menelaus. He is a very, very good character actor but he is really best suited for the Irish, Scottish, English roles just like in Gangs of New York.

Medyo mahaba na ata nasabi ko. Basically I agree that it was not a great movie but I still bought the DVD because it is entertaining... plus pinilit ako ng asawa ko... hehehehe  ;D

One other thing though -- Eric Bana indeed gave a FANTASTIC performance!

I just hope "Alexander" does not turn out the same way as "Troy" -- I mean relying more on star power than direction/story.

Just my 2 cents  ::)

Offline Koolkat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Kawaiii!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #267 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 09:30 AM »
Troy is more of a big summer type movie. Large scale battles and special effects, and big hollywood movie stars. Unfortunately, what I didn't like much about the story was that it revolved around achilles rather than the city of Troy. In effect, the ending didn't give as much impact as it should. I thought the fall of troy wasn't handled properly. They should have called the movie "Achilles" instead of "Troy".
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #268 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 10:38 AM »
Gusto ko yung "Remember" ni Josh Groban sa end credits.  :-*

Yup, I was wondering if that was him singing, until I re-watched the end credits.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #269 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 11:19 AM »

We have the same views regarding this movie....Pitt has no depth in some dramatic scenes....eclipsed by Eric Bana,  the competent Peter O'Toole. And the worst Howard Shore musical score.....it cant be at par with Ridley Scott's GLADIATOR.

tries to echo the scope & grandeur of Gladiator  but never achieved the power & sweep of it....but in fairness to Pitt he excels at the action scenes but lacks emotion....

I tend to agree.  I rewatched the film last weekend and the more I didn't get any emotional involvement (see my first impressions in an earlier post).   Gladiator IS an Oscar Best Picture.  Even comparisons with ROTK, another Oscar Best,  may be a bit strained.  But I agree that the battle scenes have epic sweep comparable to the two.

I reviewed the Iliad and Homeric legends on the net and the film is really a very loose transciption of these.  The filmakers just followed the basic plotline to the bone (perhaps not even):  Helen and Paris ignite the seige on Troy; Kings Agamemnon, Menaleus, Odysseus, and Ajax invade the beaches of Troy (shades of Saving Private Ryan ;D); Hector kills Patroclus; Achilles kills Hector; Paris Kills Achilles; the Trojan horse enters Troy allowing the Greeks to burn Troy; the end.

Never mind that the war lasted for more than 10 (I think closer to 20)years.   Never mind that Patroclus was Achilles' ardent lover (being gay was common among Greeks at that time, apparently) -  a real passion that inflamed Achilles to seek vengeance on Hector.  Never mind that Agamemnon sacrificed his beloved daughter to gain favor from the Gods (a singular act that would have rationalized his consuming compulsion to take Troy at all cost).  Never mind that the Gods played an active role in the fate of Troy.  Perhaps,  taking away the mythological aspects of the Iliad grossly took away the drama and the filmakers had to inject a shortcut to the timeline and offer some plausible mortal excuses for why the events had to happen. 

It was quite a happy conincidence that a VCD on Helen Of Troy , a telemovie with John-Rhyes Davies (the Gimli character of LOTR) as King Priam, etc, was at Astro and I promptly bought it just to compare.  I think the telemovie had more meat and hued a lot closer to the illiad and aenid. 

But a hollywood film is a hollywood film.  Asking it to be faithfull to the source might be asking too much.  All in all, the film is an excellent visual and aural feast.  The DVD does justice to those elements.  The film's story just begs for more drama.  And Legolas is Legolas, wherever he is.   ;D  Orlando Bloom will really have to work hard to take off that image.  The farther he is from any bow and arrow, the better.   ;D

Much has been said about the music of the film.  I  have nothing against it though. It is so much like that of Gladiator.  I think it also has echoes of LOTR's music with ENYA-like renditions.  Even the telemovie Helen of Troy has the same brooding wordless singing style.  Come to think of it, maybe its a style that somehow befits historical and legendary retelling these days.  It's definitely not unique and won't win any academy award. 
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2004 at 11:34 AM by av_phile1 »