Author Topic: TROY (R3)  (Read 51975 times)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: TROY (R3)
« Reply #270 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 11:24 AM »
Petersen, obviuosly, was relying on star power to sell the movie. I mean look at the cast - Brad Pitt, Eric Bana, Orlando Bloom! These are the "in" actors now. Brad Pitt alone will draw a lot of female viewers. My wife was already scheduling our theater date as soon as she saw the trailer. The movie was really packaged to be a Brad Pitt vehicle. Nagsingit pa sila ng love angle between Achilles and Briseis that is not in the Iliad just to add some romance to bring in the ladies to cinemas.

Even the supporting cast is made up of some heavy weights: Peter O' Toole, Sean Bean, Julie Christie, Brendan Gleeson.

My personal opinion is that the use of big names weakened the film because it miscasted some of them - one good example is Brendan Gleeson as Menelaus. He is a very, very good character actor but he is really best suited for the Irish, Scottish, English roles just like in Gangs of New York.

Medyo mahaba na ata nasabi ko. Basically I agree that it was not a great movie but I still bought the DVD because it is entertaining... plus pinilit ako ng asawa ko... hehehehe  ;D

One other thing though -- Eric Bana indeed gave a FANTASTIC performance!

I just hope "Alexander" does not turn out the same way as "Troy" -- I mean relying more on star power than direction/story.

Just my 2 cents  ::)

You're right.  But I guess Hollywood would not be Hollywood if it didn't rely on STAR power.  There are ofcourse exceptions.  Like the first Star Wars or the first Indiana Jones.  Their stars became STARs only after the films hit it big. 
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2004 at 11:26 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #271 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 12:44 PM »
They have shorten the film already but I still found it dragging with some lengthy pauses begging us to admire the sets design, CGI effects and Pitt's butt...ugh!  :P

avphile....i'll try to watch Helen of Troy and give it a try.... :)
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2004 at 07:08 PM by keating »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #272 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 01:15 PM »
They should have called the movie "Achilles" instead of "Troy".

You could be right.  "Achilles" would have been a more apt title.  But even if they did, the film might still fall short.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #273 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 01:51 PM »
They have shorten the film already but I still found it dragging with some lengty pauses begging us to admire the sets design, CGI effects and Pitt's butt...ugh!  :P

avphile....i'll try to watch Helen of Troy and give it a try.... :)

Do get a copy.  They have their differences in so many aspects like character development and treatment.  But I also have my reservations on the telemovie.  For one thing, their Helen doesn't have the face that would launch a thousand ships in my book.  ;D  (But neither did the movie TROY)

The Iliad is such an epic story of literally mythical proportions that condensing it into one 2-hour+ movie won't do justice.  The Iliad ends with Hector's funeral, the rest comes from Virgil's Aenid, if not mistaken.  The filmakers should have taken a clue from LOTR and made a 2 or 3 part movie.  They'll be labelled copycats for sure, but that's no shame in hollywood.   Peter Jackson, where were you?  They have aped the music of Gladiator and echoed smilarities with LOTR.  They made the landing on TROY look like the storming of Normandy in Saving PRivate Ryan complete with a hail of arrows instead of bullets. They made the battle sequences look like those of ROTK with a scale that probably had no real historical precedence.  So what's another part 2 or part 3 to complete the aping, if only to give depth and drama to the film adaptation.  The filmakers made a film that purported to show the "real" events that may have created the myths.  In the process, they ended up with a production that begs so much more to put it at par with the drama of their sources.

This film is really a Brad Pitt hollywood showcase.  Much like Tom Cruise's Last Samurai.  They both deliver epic scale to their utmost entertainment peaks (if not insult it, depending on your value.  ;D)  Entertaining, they are.  Memorable, perhaps.  But classic, they are not. 
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2004 at 01:54 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #274 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 06:54 PM »
You are right Sir av_phile1! Hollywood will not be what it is with out the stars. Unfortunately, directors need to gain stardom with out riding on someone else's popularity. Troy could have been more tolerable had it remained faithful to The Iliad.

It is a movie trying hard to be an epic. Great Actors can make good movies but it takes a great director to turn good movies into great ones. Gladiator, LOTR series, Star Wars Trilogy, Godfather, Saving Private Ryan... these movies had directors who are stars in their own right. I would even add Braveheart to this list. I was just reminded of Braveheart while watching Brendan Gleeson as Menelaus in Troy -- he really looks Irish or Scottish even with his Spartan dreadlocks and armor!

I also watched Helen of Troy. It is nice and more faithful to The Iliad but what can you expect from a made for TV movie/series? Tempered down violence. No effects. Blah acting... Just watch it.  ;D

Offline dutchpinoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #275 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 10:29 PM »
hello my fellow filipino's !! living here in Amsterdam and being very interested in dvd's, could you post me some online pinoy dvd sites? btw...I got a copy of the TROY LE myself..and I just love it !

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #276 on: Oct 20, 2004 at 12:43 AM »
Welcome Ryan_c..  when you say Pinoy DVD sites, are you talking about online stores?

Congrats for your TROY LE!! san mo sya nakuha? :)

Offline Smooth-J

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #277 on: Oct 20, 2004 at 12:48 AM »
hello my fellow filipino's !! living here in Amsterdam and being very interested in dvd's, could you post me some online pinoy dvd sites? btw...I got a copy of the TROY LE myself..and I just love it !

Hoi, heb je de koreaanse versie of die van de filipijnen?

Groetjes,

Jamie
Become who you are born to be

Offline dutchpinoy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #278 on: Oct 20, 2004 at 03:01 AM »
Welcome Ryan_c..  when you say Pinoy DVD sites, are you talking about online stores?

Congrats for your TROY LE!! san mo sya nakuha? :)

Sorry, I wasn't clear...but I meant...online stores..where I can buy tagalog movies(vcd/dvd)...because there's no shop in Amsterdam were I can buy such movies.

I got it from my auntie...because she just got back from the philippines...very lucky nga ako eh...hindi mo mabili dito.

Offline dutchpinoy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #279 on: Oct 20, 2004 at 03:03 AM »

Hoi, heb je de koreaanse versie of die van de filipijnen?

Groetjes,

Jamie

die van de filipijnen...dus die leather box...heb jij de houten koreaanse?

groetjes,

Ryan

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #280 on: Oct 20, 2004 at 04:50 AM »

Sorry, I wasn't clear...but I meant...online stores..where I can buy tagalog movies(vcd/dvd)...because there's no shop in Amsterdam were I can buy such movies.

I got it from my auntie...because she just got back from the philippines...very lucky nga ako eh...hindi mo mabili dito.

try this site... http://www.tinigpinoy.com/    :D

Offline dutchpinoy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #281 on: Oct 20, 2004 at 05:33 PM »

try this site... http://www.tinigpinoy.com/    :D

thank you so much man ! I appreciate it... :D
if you have more links...please holla at me!

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #282 on: Oct 20, 2004 at 06:35 PM »
Hey Ryan C... if there are a lot of Pinoys there or even in nearby places in Europe, baka pwede kang mag-sideline business dyan. Bring in Pinoy videos and sell dem der  ;)

Offline dutchpinoy

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #283 on: Oct 21, 2004 at 12:16 AM »
Hey Ryan C... if there are a lot of Pinoys there or even in nearby places in Europe, baka pwede kang mag-sideline business dyan. Bring in Pinoy videos and sell dem der  ;)

hahaha...nice thinking about it, pero problema nga eh konte lang kami dito. sa America ang maganda mag business sa pinoy videos

problem nr 2..I should have a lot of contacts  :-\

Offline quantumbooya

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #284 on: Oct 27, 2004 at 11:57 AM »
Hey guys. Posting from New York... where can I get this Pinas Troy LE? Are there any recommended "safe" DVD retail sites to order this? Nakaka-ingit naman kayo. Any other special DVD LE releases that are specific releases in the Philippines?

Offline dunforgiven

• DVD Addict
  • Before you see the light, you must die!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #285 on: Oct 27, 2004 at 03:02 PM »
Hey guys! I just saw the TROY Philippines Edition posted at www.thedvdetective.com selling for almost $48 (without shipping)!!

cool! sino kaya ang supplier nung site? malamang member ng pinoydvd yun!

nice going!
Picture quality over plot

Offline Y_meeh

• DVD Addict
  • I want adventure in the great wide somewhere-belle
  • Liked:
« Reply #286 on: Oct 27, 2004 at 03:25 PM »
ika-nga sa forum nila mas mahal ito kesa sa korean release kasi this is sort of a "dvd-history" and mas limited  ;)
Lyf seems a succession of busy nothings - Austen

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #287 on: Oct 27, 2004 at 03:53 PM »
Hmmm. It looks like Hemisphere has something to do with them knowing about the Troy LE.  ;D

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #288 on: Oct 27, 2004 at 04:41 PM »
nde ba masyadong overpricing yan  ;D

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #289 on: Oct 27, 2004 at 05:22 PM »
weight of the LE set is pretty heavy compared to regular amaray case only dvd sets. i have tried sending some sets to some members in the provinces and was shocked to find out the actual weight.

the weight could be the primary cause for the unexpected price differential. but i say the price is fair.

8)
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2004 at 08:42 PM by hemisphere1234 »

Offline Y_meeh

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #290 on: Oct 27, 2004 at 08:39 PM »
yep... same here, fair lang... mejo mahal nga pero malaki ata talaga yung inabot ng cost of shipping... saka hindi naman masyadong nagtataas ng price ang dvdetective, minsan kahit OOP and hard to find pa, basta may stock sila ganun pa rin ang selling price ;)

Offline cherubrock

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • use soap
  • Liked:
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2004 at 09:08 PM by cherubrock »

Offline Y_meeh

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #292 on: Oct 27, 2004 at 09:02 PM »
FYI, sold out na ang troy sa detective

Offline dulber32

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #293 on: Oct 28, 2004 at 09:40 AM »
Hmmm... didn't realize LE version was that special in terms of "DVD history".
Makuha na nga iyong sa Astro mamya.  ;D

Offline dunforgiven

• DVD Addict
  • Before you see the light, you must die!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #294 on: Oct 28, 2004 at 09:47 AM »
weight of the LE set is pretty heavy compared to regular amaray case only dvd sets. i have tried sending some sets to some members in the provinces and was shocked to find out the actual weight.

the weight could be the primary cause for the unexpected price differential. but i say the price is fair.

8)

but don't you think the weight issue should be addressed by the shipping cost and not included in the dvd price? although at that selling price, i also think it's just right  ;D
Picture quality over plot

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #295 on: Oct 28, 2004 at 11:26 PM »
no .. i dont think so dunforgiven.

re dvddetective, the merchant dispatches their items from colorado USA, site warehouse, and not from manila. and to get the LE sets, the dvds have to be transported/shipped from manila to US. as per standard business practice, this shipping cost would be added to the purchased price plus a little profit i guess.. plus customs tax , and so on..    ;)

as a result, the sum of all the expenses + profit comprise the posted list price.  same principle is applied by sellers of R1 and Korean dvds in the marketplace..

:)

« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2004 at 11:35 PM by hemisphere1234 »

Offline boybi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #296 on: Nov 06, 2004 at 12:04 AM »
just watched it again with my wife. meron lang akong nakitang parang mali. diba ang sabi ni Priam ke Achilles kukunin nya bangkay ni Hector para mabigyan ng proper burial, para lagyan ng coins sa mata, etc. nung sinusunog na si Hector, wala naman coins sa mata? nakalimutan kaya ng director?  ;D

also, forgive my stupidity, true story ba ito?  ???  :-X

Offline ESi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #297 on: Nov 06, 2004 at 12:19 AM »
just watched it again with my wife. meron lang akong nakitang parang mali. diba ang sabi ni Priam ke Achilles kukunin nya bangkay ni Hector para mabigyan ng proper burial, para lagyan ng coins sa mata, etc. nung sinusunog na si Hector, wala naman coins sa mata? nakalimutan kaya ng director?  ;D

also, forgive my stupidity, true story ba ito?  ???  :-X

Its Greek Mythology brother, thus fiction. Hope this helps you out.
Ars longa, Vita Brevis, Judicium dificile

Offline boybi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #298 on: Nov 06, 2004 at 07:56 AM »
salamat, tinulugan ko kasi greek mythology nung highschool  :-\

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #299 on: Nov 06, 2004 at 09:29 AM »
just watched it again with my wife. meron lang akong nakitang parang mali. diba ang sabi ni Priam ke Achilles kukunin nya bangkay ni Hector para mabigyan ng proper burial, para lagyan ng coins sa mata, etc. nung sinusunog na si Hector, wala naman coins sa mata? nakalimutan kaya ng director? ;D

also, forgive my stupidity, true story ba ito? ??? :-X

Maybe you missed it but Priam indeed put coins in Hectors eyes in the scene where Hector was about to be burned. Watch it again.