Author Topic: Which way to go, analog or digital?  (Read 24338 times)

Offline bayonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Which way to go, analog or digital?
« Reply #180 on: Aug 16, 2006 at 11:25 PM »
I'm toying with the idea of getting a wireless Digital Music Server with Multi-Room , Multi-Zone , Internet Radio streaming functions ...

it's probably a trade-off between the the quality of the SOUND and the ease of accessing the MUSIC.

at any rate , mas masarap pa rin mamangka sa dalawang ilog ...
so pag sinisipag at napagtripan , ilalabas na ang mga plaka
at kung medyo busy at tinatamad , mamimili nalang ng Playlists.

and so my question is :
what is the best way to encode those precious vinyl tracks to lossless audio formats ???

Offline Daemon_Seraphim

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #181 on: Aug 17, 2006 at 08:04 PM »

Let's take the picture as a clear example and let's say it is connected with a receiver

5.1. CH output there is analog right. So it means that the signals are passed to the dvd player and straight to the speaker right? It essentially uses the DAC of the player.  This is true for CD players (stereo sound) as well right?

Digital Out means that the signals are processed by the DAC of the receiver.

Clarifications are appreciated

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Triode Junkie...It's MUSIC not HIFI!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #182 on: Feb 11, 2007 at 06:35 AM »
Mine is Digital in format but Analogue in sound.

A 24bit hdcd played on a tube amp will be excellent for me. 8)
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #183 on: Feb 14, 2007 at 04:48 PM »
Hi,

Been reading this thread and trying to understand the arguments on which way to go, Analog or Digital?  I'm a music fan and I don't care much if the music is cut in vinyl or pressed in CD.  What matters is that I appreciate the music I listen to, IMHO.

On the question of which way to go, Analog or Digital:  Here’s a question: are we the ones to decide which way to go or the recording companies?  Sure, there are quite a number of turntables (exotic and entry level) that are coming out, but is there enough software to complement the growing need?  Will commercial record companies bring back their cutting machines and produce LPs along with CDs, knowing that recording companies earn more because the cost of production for CDs is cheaper than LPs?   If the argument is that  LPs are cheaper to produce, then why do these record companies continue to produce CDs, and are in fact, improving the medium (SACD, XRCD, XRCD2, HDCD, etc)?  Also, why is the production of LPs limited to Audiophile classics and not commercial recordings?  It’s all ‘bout profit taking, I guess. 

Digital is still in and may still be the future, and it’s not because of the music.

Just my opinion.

Cheers.

enjoy both worlds. for people with very discerning ears, digital may not be enough though.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #184 on: Feb 15, 2007 at 02:20 PM »
Having heard both analog and digital and owning analog gear, IMHO I do not believe that one can say for certainty that the analog path (TT) is the best path. IMHO also, I do not believe going analog means that you have a discerning ear. This hobby is quite subjective and you may be in for a surprise on some other set-up.
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2007 at 03:39 PM by rascal101 »

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: Feb 15, 2007 at 04:36 PM »

Let's take the picture as a clear example and let's say it is connected with a receiver

5.1. CH output there is analog right. So it means that the signals are passed to the dvd player and straight to the speaker right? It essentially uses the DAC of the player.  This is true for CD players (stereo sound) as well right?

Digital Out means that the signals are processed by the DAC of the receiver.

Clarifications are appreciated

if that is the rear of the dvd player i would say you have two sets of analogue out, one is a stereo out(2sets) and the one on the left is for the 5.1 system. i do not know that you can connect that to speakers directly. you have to have a separate ampli for those...
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #186 on: Feb 16, 2007 at 05:04 PM »
Which way to go, Analog or Digital?

Time to try Analog
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #187 on: May 22, 2007 at 01:04 PM »
Digital is hard to beat if the quest is for a "clean" sound.  However, to capture that old feeling, or that particular sound/time when the material was recorded, analog is it.

Yeah ... like how my grandfathers feel whenever those popping and warping sound blend with the music, enjoying clear soundstage on a mono vynil, and that particular sound of limited bandwidth being stretched out heroically by those TT RIAA pre-amps ... I experienced that including the tedious job of vynil cleaning, mounting, and care for expensive stylus ... some materials I enjoyed in TT because they are not in CD  >:( (how I wish they will release the equivalent so I can enjoy a cleaner & maintenance-friendly one  ;D)
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)