Author Topic: Official Cayin Thread  (Read 227263 times)

Offline Le_Stat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Only Taxpayer's should Vote !
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Official Cayin Thread
« Reply #210 on: Mar 15, 2007 at 11:30 PM »
Great set-up Le_Stat! Somehow I knew that you would go for the SC-6! But there's the SC-8, and the SC-10, gasp! Where will it end? Like you I don't any plans for upgrades but I have discussed with Noel how I will further maximize my living room's acoustics to really let the system shine, you know, just like squeezing the last drop of the nectar, he he he..

Thank you.  :)  Well, I haven't really thought about the SC-8.  Mataas na yun.  And definitely not the SC-10 kasi overkill na yun. hehehe.  I suggest that you get more preamp tubes, especially the exotic ones.  Mix and match it and you would know which is best for your taste.  it's hard to come by sa buy and sell pero worth it.  The fiberglass cases under my rack contains all the tubes I have, preamp and power amp tubes.

What I really need to upgrade is the whole HOUSE.  :o 

Hi Andrew,

Hooh! ;D i'm speechless with your set-up...congrats! a complete audio amplified set-up... ;D just like mine AA din...just a little bit lower ;D Tukso layuan mo ako...grrrh The reason why i asked about the difference kasi somebody is selling his vandy 1c in the B/S section for a cheaper price, curious lang how it would sound with my a50-t. ;D parinig naman ng set-up mo...hehehe

Cheers

Don't quickly jump and buy speakers because it is sold cheap.  Pakinggan mo muna lahat then you can decide.  Like me, it took me between 3-5 months to decide which to get.   Sa speakers ako pinaka natagalan mag decide.  Hirap mahanap ang kiliti ng tenga, unless sexy na babae ang nangingiliti sa tenga mo. Kapag ganun siguradong meron ako break-in on the spot.  ;D

Hirap na parating mag upgrade kasi magastos and you loose a lot lalu na pag benta mo as 2nd hand.
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2007 at 11:42 PM by Le_Stat »
Only tax payer's should vote !

Offline Ace01

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #211 on: Mar 16, 2007 at 09:53 AM »
Hi Andrew,

Hooh! ;D i'm speechless with your set-up...congrats! a complete audio amplified set-up... ;D just like mine AA din...just a little bit lower ;D Tukso layuan mo ako...grrrh The reason why i asked about the difference kasi somebody is selling his vandy 1c in the B/S section for a cheaper price, curious lang how it would sound with my a50-t. ;D parinig naman ng set-up mo...hehehe

Cheers

Hi Butchoy,

Sorry for the late response. You wouldn't believe nagbrownout sa amin last night from 10 pm to 6 am. Dun tayo walang laban, he he he. While the query was directed to Le_Stat I hope he wouldn't mind saying my piece about it. When we buy components that make up our system we're going for a certain kind of sound which is subjective. When i got the A-70T, Noel and I agreed that we'll place the 6550EH output tubes instead of the KT-88's because I was gunning for a detailed, and fast sound (of course, such is subjective, as what maybe a detailed sound for me maybe an etched sound for others, or what maybe warm for me maybe too laid back for others). When I auditioned the Vandys, I sensed that they let go of the notes quicker than other speaker system I heard and it is one of the characteristics that made me conclude that the Vandys are really transparent (in relation to the performance of my other components). I opted for the Cayin SC-2 later because the Mundorf Supreme caps and the Amperex 6DJ8's further contributed to the sound I am looking for. With this rather long introduction I would suppose that you went for the Leisure 2SE's because of the sound they make in relation to your other components. I therefore cannot make any recommendation as to Vandys on sale as in the end the decision you will make will be based on your subjective evaluation of the said speaker system in relation to the other components in the audio chain , and ultimately as affected by the acoustics of your listening area. One more thing about the Vandys which we all know by now, is that they are baffleless. There isn't much to see in them (i.e. no exotic wooden baffles with great finish). This might also be a criterion for some in going for the Vandys or not. Richard Vandersteen once remarked in response to questions posted to him that if he were to make cabinets for some of his speakers without affecting their present sonic performance, then their price would be jacked up by 4 to 6 times! I hope this helps..Thanks as always!

Offline Ace01

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #212 on: Mar 16, 2007 at 10:10 AM »
Thank you.  :)  Well, I haven't really thought about the SC-8.  Mataas na yun.  And definitely not the SC-10 kasi overkill na yun. hehehe.  I suggest that you get more preamp tubes, especially the exotic ones.  Mix and match it and you would know which is best for your taste.  it's hard to come by sa buy and sell pero worth it.  The fiberglass cases under my rack contains all the tubes I have, preamp and power amp tubes.

What I really need to upgrade is the whole HOUSE.  :o 

Don't quickly jump and buy speakers because it is sold cheap.  Pakinggan mo muna lahat then you can decide.  Like me, it took me between 3-5 months to decide which to get.   Sa speakers ako pinaka natagalan mag decide.  Hirap mahanap ang kiliti ng tenga, unless sexy na babae ang nangingiliti sa tenga mo. Kapag ganun siguradong meron ako break-in on the spot.  ;D

Hirap na parating mag upgrade kasi magastos and you loose a lot lalu na pag benta mo as 2nd hand.

Thanks for the advice Le_Stat! Now, upgrading the house is the ultimate upgrade, ha ha ha...

Offline Adam Warlock

• DVD Addict
  • Audio is hobby not obsession
  • Liked:
« Reply #213 on: Mar 16, 2007 at 10:49 AM »
Busy thread  ;D thanks for the input guys! Keep it coming  ;D ;D ;D

Thank you.  :)  Well, I haven't really thought about the SC-8.  Mataas na yun.  And definitely not the SC-10 kasi overkill na yun. hehehe. 

Sir Les mas mahal ung SC-8 sa SC-10  ::)

Cheers

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #214 on: Mar 16, 2007 at 12:41 PM »
Busy thread  ;D thanks for the input guys! Keep it coming  ;D ;D ;D

Sir Les mas mahal ung SC-8 sa SC-10  ::)

Cheers

talaga?  akala ko mas mahal yung sc-10 kasi higante na sa laki.  ;)

Offline butchoy8701

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Vacuum tube lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #215 on: Mar 16, 2007 at 12:52 PM »
Hi Butchoy,

Sorry for the late response. You wouldn't believe nagbrownout sa amin last night from 10 pm to 6 am. Dun tayo walang laban, he he he. While the query was directed to Le_Stat I hope he wouldn't mind saying my piece about it. When we buy components that make up our system we're going for a certain kind of sound which is subjective. When i got the A-70T, Noel and I agreed that we'll place the 6550EH output tubes instead of the KT-88's because I was gunning for a detailed, and fast sound (of course, such is subjective, as what maybe a detailed sound for me maybe an etched sound for others, or what maybe warm for me maybe too laid back for others). When I auditioned the Vandys, I sensed that they let go of the notes quicker than other speaker system I heard and it is one of the characteristics that made me conclude that the Vandys are really transparent (in relation to the performance of my other components). I opted for the Cayin SC-2 later because the Mundorf Supreme caps and the Amperex 6DJ8's further contributed to the sound I am looking for. With this rather long introduction I would suppose that you went for the Leisure 2SE's because of the sound they make in relation to your other components. I therefore cannot make any recommendation as to Vandys on sale as in the end the decision you will make will be based on your subjective evaluation of the said speaker system in relation to the other components in the audio chain , and ultimately as affected by the acoustics of your listening area. One more thing about the Vandys which we all know by now, is that they are baffleless. There isn't much to see in them (i.e. no exotic wooden baffles with great finish). This might also be a criterion for some in going for the Vandys or not. Richard Vandersteen once remarked in response to questions posted to him that if he were to make cabinets for some of his speakers without affecting their present sonic performance, then their price would be jacked up by 4 to 6 times! I hope this helps..Thanks as always!

Hi Ace,

Thanks for your insights.  I did go for the leisure 2se because of its good mids and highs.  I fully upgraded my a50-t to mundorf supreme.  I already heard the a70t with silver/gold mundorf at high fi lounge mas makapal talaga tumunog yung leisure 2se with this amp.  I'll try to audition it sa audio amplified one of these days.  thanks for the input guys.  ;D

Offline AudioAmplified

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #216 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 11:19 AM »
Cayin's most powerful integrated amp  :)  now playing at Audio Amplified.

http://www.audioamplified.com/Cayin/Cayin.htm click here for more details

Offline Adam Warlock

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #217 on: Mar 20, 2007 at 12:12 PM »
Now Playing for the week at Audio Amplified:

Big Room:
Cayin A100T Integrated Tube Amp EL34 tubes
Cayin CDT-17A Tube CD Player
Castle Richmond 7i Floor Stander Speaker
Mundorf Silver/Gold alloy Interconnect
Mundorf Silver/Gold alloy Speaker Wire

Small Room
Cayin A70T Integrated Tube Amp 6550 tubes
Cayin CDT-23 Tube CD Player
Vandersteen 1C Floor Stander Speaker
MundorF Silver/Gold alloy Interconnect
Xindak FS-1 Speaker Wire
Interested party/ies please dropby or call us for audition 

Cheers

Offline Blade

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #218 on: Mar 23, 2007 at 09:58 AM »

CAYIN MT-12

saw this at spectra while canvassing for a cd player...
eyeing a nad c542 to partner my HK 330...
kaya lang i saw this sweet looking tube amp and may kapartner palang cd player...
the combo looks good and i dont think it can drive my jurassic mission speakers...
how much money would i shell out for a pair of speakers that would match this kombo...
hope to visit your store...pm na lang for prices,...thanks...
 8)

Offline Adam Warlock

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #219 on: Mar 23, 2007 at 03:26 PM »
This MT-12 can drive our Floor stander Music Goddess that has a 10in woofer, sensitivity @ 4 ohms  :)

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #220 on: Mar 23, 2007 at 05:11 PM »
Blade,

I have that tube cd player you saw at spectra (CD50t ata...).  Anyway I have this as a combo with another Cayin int. amp. and the combo works very well with each other.  I have tried a/b between tube cd/int amp combo versus  ss cd/tube int amp combo.  The tube cd/int amp combo produced better audio reproduction in terms of depth, soundstage or dimentionality.

You can audition this at spectra as they all have the gears for both ss and tube components.

Regards,

JoeyGS

kaya lang i saw this sweet looking tube amp and may kapartner palang cd player...
the combo looks good and i dont think it can drive my jurassic mission speakers...
how much money would i shell out for a pair of speakers that would match this kombo...
 8)

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #221 on: Mar 24, 2007 at 11:43 AM »
 8)

Sir,

Are you looking for bookshelf or floorstander and what is your budget for the speaker so that we can reco the best combination for you.

Thanks

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #222 on: Apr 18, 2007 at 12:11 PM »
Meron isang tahimik diyan na meron bagong toy.....  ;)

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #223 on: Apr 18, 2007 at 07:24 PM »
Umm... bumili ako ng badminton racket.  Counted ba yun   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #224 on: Apr 18, 2007 at 07:46 PM »
Umm... bumili ako ng badminton racket.  Counted ba yun   ;D ;D ;D

Di yan counted ! Unless meron yan apat na 6550 EH.  ;D

Ah, isa pa pala.  Unless meron yan 1 pair ng Amperex 6922 gold pins.  hehehe.   ;D

Dalawa pala silang merong bagong toys.   ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2007 at 07:49 PM by Le_Stat »

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #225 on: Apr 19, 2007 at 03:54 PM »
A few more reviews and awards for Cayin.  They are German but from the scores Cayin is a runaway winner  :)  You may use babelfish translator to understand in broken english   :lol:

http://finallink.com.au/Cayin/Web%20PDFs/Cayin_Ti_88_Testbericht_Stereoplay_01-2005.pdf
http://finallink.com.au/Cayin/Web%20PDFs/Cayin_A-55T_Testbericht_Stereoplay_01-2006.pdf
http://finallink.com.au/Cayin/Web%20PDFs/Cayin_A-50T_Testbericht_Stereoplay_04-2005.pdf

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:

Offline Adam Warlock

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #227 on: Apr 19, 2007 at 05:42 PM »

Ah, isa pa pala.  Unless meron yan 1 pair ng Amperex 6922 gold pins.  hehehe.   ;D

Sino ba yang mga yan bakit ayaw magpakilala  ;D

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #228 on: Apr 19, 2007 at 06:50 PM »
Sino ba yang mga yan bakit ayaw magpakilala  ;D

hehehe. txt mo nga sila.

Offline Adam Warlock

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #229 on: Apr 20, 2007 at 10:23 AM »
txt - txt - txt

O ayan texted them  ;D ;D ;D

Offline butchoy8701

• Collector
  • Vacuum tube lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #230 on: Apr 20, 2007 at 12:24 PM »

Ahem!! :) sino kaya ang may ever evolving Cayin setup dito? Baka mapa monoblock ka...hehehe
As for me, i'm happy with my 5ar4 mullard...hehehe
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2007 at 12:29 PM by butchoy8701 »

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #231 on: Apr 20, 2007 at 01:55 PM »
Ahem!! :) sino kaya ang may ever evolving Cayin setup dito? Baka mapa monoblock ka...hehehe
As for me, i'm happy with my 5ar4 mullard...hehehe

magandang tanong yan.  Ayon sa aking bubwit, meron isang hesitant sa China Products na nakarineg ng Cayin at aba !   Nabinyagan ngayon components niya nang bagong Cayin !   ;D

Monoblock?  mahal yan !  Hollow Blocks nalang at sa halagang 120k makakabuo na ako ng isa pang floor na pang dedicated audio room. hehehe.  wala nga lang semento presyo noon.  ;)

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #232 on: Apr 20, 2007 at 02:36 PM »
Le Stat - that is the misnomer that products made in "China" are inferior.   Actually, Cayin's roots are German although they have a joint venture with China Aeronautics.  If you go to www.cayin.com it brings you to a German site.  Surely there is a lot of technological transfer coming from Europe that goes into every Cayin model.

We now live in a global environment wherein "made in ???" is hardly a factor.  Airbus planes for example have major components coming from North America and Asia.  The most important factor is whether the product performs well or not.  So far Cayin fits that label – or so we (and other reviewers)  think hahaha

Offline Bogsle

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #233 on: Apr 22, 2007 at 01:38 PM »
Initial impressions of Cayin CDT-23 (more than 50 hours of use):

1. Out of the box it sounds good already.
2. My old CDP is an Arcam CD73T and I can say that the sound of Cayin CDT-23 has more body and is more natural sounding in terms of certain instruments that I heard, like cymbals, triagles, and piano.
3. Vocals are more realistic. There is real presence of the singer upfront. I notice more of the coarsenss of the vocalists and there is "chestiness".
4. Medyo mahina ang output than Arcam CD73T, because I notice I have to turn up the volume just a little more to get to the level I'm used to listening.
5. Very good bass.
6. Solid-State output is also very impressive. Sound is warm and sweet and dynamic. Not (yet) good soundstage presentation and detail as Arcam CD73T. May need more break-in time. But the warm sound that I prefer is already there.
7. I noticed that when 192/24 upsampling is enabled on 16bit CDs, the soundstage moves back a bit and medyo humihina yung volume. But I notice better separation of instruments and they become more distinct.
8. When I do upsampling on 20bit or 24bit CD, I do not hear any difference when upsampling is disabled.
9. Arcam CD73T is very detailed and has good instrument separation, but may sound clinical sometimes. The Cayin CDT-23 may still have to catch up just a little bit. But the Cayin CDT-23 is warmer sounding and has definitely better bass at the solid state output; and is more natural sounding at the tube output. I'm not saying that CDT-23 is not good at instrument separation and detail. There are these characteristics also on the CDT-23, but so far the Arcam does it much better for now. Why for now? Because I think the Cayin CDP will still improve in time as it is used.

That's it for now.

Will post further updates later on.

Equipment used:

Cayin CDT-23 Tube complements: Interchanging between Amperex 6922 gold pins and Amperex 6dj8 with Bugle Boy logo.

-Mastersound Due Venti (220) S.E. Parallel Single Ended Integrated Tube Amp.
Power tubes: Interchanging between 4 x Matsus 6ca7 and 4 x Mullard (reissue) EL34
Pre-amp tubes: Interchanging between 2 x RCA 12au7A Cleartops and 2 x RCA 5814A BlackPlates Tripple Mica.
-Power Cord: DIY Shunyata on both CDP and Int. Amp.
-Interconnects: On Tube Output - DIY AA24, WBT Silver solder on Eichmann bullet plugs; On SS Output - DIY Belden 8422, WBT Silver solder on Amphenol RCA Plugs.
-Dali Ikon 6 Speakers.
-Audience Au24 Speaker Cable

« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2007 at 03:28 PM by Bogsle »

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #234 on: Apr 22, 2007 at 02:18 PM »
Cayin CDT-23 now playing.

I'm currently listening to Best of Audiophile Voice 4 bought at Bangkok some months ago. It's on track number 5 with Stacey Kent singing "What the World Needs Now is Love".

Napapangiti ako kasi parang nasa harap ko si Stacey at kinakantahan ako...hehehe.

Nakaka-arouse....ah este nakaka-inspire pala.   ;D

« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2007 at 02:20 PM by Bogsle »

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #235 on: Apr 22, 2007 at 08:03 PM »
Nakaka-arouse....ah este nakaka-inspire pala.   ;D

ikaw muna ang ma-break in dapat niyan.  :D

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #236 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 08:41 PM »
thanks for the objective review on the Cayin CDT-23A.  please continue to keep us posted on its performance.  feel free to post any questions as well.

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #237 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 11:36 AM »
Just posting some updates regarding my new CDT-23

I mentioned in my earlier post na parang mahina ang output ng CDT-23 kaysa Arcam CD73T. Actually, my impression was mahina coz I'm very much used to the forward sound of the Arcam CD73T. The CDT-23 is laidback in its audio presentation, and becomes even more laidback as you turn on the up-sampling switch. It actually tries to create more space for the instruments and singers, thus giving the listener a bigger soundstage. I think that since the soundstage moves back, the distance increases between the performers on stage and the listener, and therefore the tendency is that the instruments and singers becomes a little bit smaller than that of the Arcam CD73T. And parang nagiging mahina rin tuloy.

However, when I turn up the volume just a little bit, I get to hear more of the instruments and and singers on the soundstage presented by the CDT-23. Hindi naman actually malaki yung turn of the volume knob. If I'm used to listening with the Arcam CD73T at 9 o clock on the volume know, with the CDT-23 it would be 9:30 to 10 o clock.

So far, the CDT-23 has opened up and has become livelier. The highs have become sweeter but there is not much change in the lows. Live performances seem to come alive from the speakers with the instruments sounding so real and so present (Jazz at the Pawn Shop XRCD). I prefer to use the 192/24 upsampling for live music presentations.

With the bugle boy 6dg8, music is lush and warm.

So far that's it. Siguro nasa 80 or so hours pa lang. But we'll see if there will be further change to the musicallity of the CDT-23.

Cheers.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2007 at 06:15 AM by Bogsle »

Offline wilborn

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #238 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 11:59 AM »
Hi, im a newbie in the field of tube amplification and i was wondering should i decide later on to improve the sound of my A-50T what tube should i "roll" or replace? Should i change the stock EL34 tubes or the pre-amp tubes?

Thanks

Offline butchoy8701

• Collector
  • Vacuum tube lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #239 on: Apr 26, 2007 at 04:35 PM »
Hi, im a newbie in the field of tube amplification and i was wondering should i decide later on to improve the sound of my A-50T what tube should i "roll" or replace? Should i change the stock EL34 tubes or the pre-amp tubes?

Thanks

Actually, you can improve the sound of your a-50t by replacing all the tubes to NOS(New Old Stock) but i would rank the improvement based on this order (1 being the best overall improvement):

1.  preamp tubes
2.  driver tubes
3.  Power tubes (you can try 6CA7 type for tighter bass)

You can even ask Noel to upgrade your capacitors to Mundorf supreme to improve the detail, soundstage, etc... ;D

« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2007 at 04:37 PM by butchoy8701 »