Author Topic: Official Cayin Thread  (Read 227216 times)

Offline AudioAmplified

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Official Cayin Thread
« Reply #450 on: Sep 16, 2008 at 10:50 PM »
Ah OK, I just thought you might have had an experience like this na. I'm from Binan,Laguna, will just observe the unit and when it conks out dead, saka ko na lang dalhin dyan. I'm just trying to have a feel kung kailangan na bang irepair o pwede pa. Thanks sa reply (safe answer).

Sir, kindly bring the unit for service before it conks out.  If there is a damage at least it will not worsen and and can find ways to fix it.  However, this is the first time we read about such a problem.  The normal problem that we see with the CDT15A is skipping which is attributed to either dirty lens or misaligned lens which we can easily fix.  The CDT15A is a very reliable player.  Our demo model is more than 4 yrs old and until now its still running like new.  Noel is not giving a safe answer but he is giving the right answer since we need to see the patient before we can diagnose the ailment.

May we know if you got this unit from us or one of our dealers.  If you can provide us the serial number we can help you track.  Call us anytime at 395-5115 and we can discuss some more :)  We are here to serve every Cayin unit we distributed.  No worries on that

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #451 on: Sep 16, 2008 at 10:52 PM »
finally... i found your thread sir Tyrone & sir Noel ;)

here is my humble share
pleasing experience with Cayin CDT-17a which i acquired less than a year ago brand new and "tweaked" at AudioAmplified Philippines... it beats an entry level turntable hands down... my other turntable w/ a lyra dorian MC hooked on a trichord research phono amp barely beats it in sonic quality... barely... oh, with LPs that were not manufactured well my Cayin 17a CD player played better than my analog source... that is, thru my ears and taste

hence, here i am crazy running after music CDs here & there... hahaha... believe me... my Cayin CDT-17a rocks !!!

OT: here are my latest find...  super inexpensive discoveries that will join my most treasured digital collection... hard to find albums !!!... viola!!... grabbed me multiple copies to share to friends... hehehe

btw, sir Tyrone, sir Noel and their staff are very easy to deal with... very very kind and very approachable...

kindest regards,
fer
angeles city

Thanks for the kind words doc fer.  The CDT17A is indeed a splendid player for the price.  Very analogue sounding.  The upgraded version is a beat that can rival player 5x its price. 

Offline AudioNirvana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #452 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 07:03 AM »
Hi
I am new here, so hello to everybody, its really great forum.

I have cayin a55t (fantastic amp) and after about 50 hours i checked bias with voltmeter. it is 480mV on all 4 output tubes. I then used another voltmeter to recheck and i still was 480.

In manual it says between 350-400!? So i biased to 400mV. Is that ok? when amp gets hot after playing music loud bias is slightly (10mV) higher. then it goes down.

I have stock tubes. When checking I have connected speakers and cd player, no signal playing and volume pot at lowest position. is that correct procedure?

Also i want to buy even better tubes: I am considering gold lion reissue kt88 and Tung-Sol 12ax7 reissue. (any other suggestions?)
For 12au7 I will choose between:

rca 5814a (50$) triple mica similar to JG-5814 tubes from GE
La Radiotechnique 12AU7 (40$) - like mullard
JAN-Philips 5814-A  (18$)

I dont want to lose gain, or base extension, but i would like triode mids with UL slam! can someone who tried similar tubes recommend what to do?
Also, don want to much "hot" (warm) sound but neutral, maybe slightly warmer then with stock tubes.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2008 at 04:13 PM by AudioNirvana »

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #453 on: Sep 21, 2008 at 11:06 PM »
sir kindly call us at 3955115 tomorrow and we will give you the full detail on how to bias.  easier to give instructions via phone so that its interactive.

as for tube rolling.  we strongly recommend that you upgrade the pre-amp and driver tubes first as those will give you the biggest improvement.  Remember the pre amp is the brain of the system and improving it is critical.  You can use the stock power tubes as they are quite good actually.  After tube rolling the pre-amp we would reco upgrading the capacitors.  Changing the power tubes isnt as critical.

Offline AudioNirvana

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #454 on: Sep 22, 2008 at 03:59 AM »
Dear sir
Thank You for really quick answer.
I will change pre and driver tubes first.

I am unable to call You tomorrow, maybe in a week or so. I live in East Europe (no Cayin distributor here, I got it via friend). Calling will propobly cost a fortune :) better to change tubes, but i would like to hear You one day.
Please, can you just tell me is default bias 480mV at stock tubes ok or should I put it at 350 or 400 as manual says. I dont want to destroy tubes or output transformers!

PS Do You have some online tube catalog? (and do you accept pre-paid orders by money order?)
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2008 at 04:34 AM by AudioNirvana »

Offline Adam Warlock

• DVD Addict
  • Audio is hobby not obsession
  • Liked:
« Reply #455 on: Sep 23, 2008 at 05:38 PM »
Sir usually if your bias is high you get more slams buy it shortens the lifr of your power tube. If you have a tester please lower the bias to 380mV by turning the bias knob counter clockwise. This will aslo prolong your tube life.

Cheers

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #456 on: Sep 23, 2008 at 08:45 PM »
Dear sir
Thank You for really quick answer.
I will change pre and driver tubes first.

I am unable to call You tomorrow, maybe in a week or so. I live in East Europe (no Cayin distributor here, I got it via friend). Calling will propobly cost a fortune :) better to change tubes, but i would like to hear You one day.
Please, can you just tell me is default bias 480mV at stock tubes ok or should I put it at 350 or 400 as manual says. I dont want to destroy tubes or output transformers!

PS Do You have some online tube catalog? (and do you accept pre-paid orders by money order?)

sir... i think noel answered your question re bias.

unfortunately we dont normally do mail order since in case you have problems we can service our sales.  sorry. :(

Offline AudioNirvana

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #457 on: Sep 23, 2008 at 10:12 PM »
Thanks.
Yes, I did change my bias to 380mV. But it was at 480mV at all 4 output cayin stock kt88 tubes when I got my amplifier, so that confuses me. Why is that high at default values??!
Thank You both very much, again.
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2008 at 10:43 PM by AudioNirvana »

Offline Adam Warlock

• DVD Addict
  • Audio is hobby not obsession
  • Liked:
« Reply #458 on: Sep 24, 2008 at 02:30 PM »
usually if your bias is high you get more slams

Some audio shop do this to impress the buyer, we dont practice this. That's why I told you to rebias the tubes

Cheers
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2008 at 02:31 PM by Adam Warlock »

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #459 on: Sep 24, 2008 at 11:39 PM »
Thanks.
Yes, I did change my bias to 380mV. But it was at 480mV at all 4 output cayin stock kt88 tubes when I got my amplifier, so that confuses me. Why is that high at default values??!
Thank You both very much, again.

higher bias will give your amp more punch.  Initially it sounds more impressive but that is not how the amp is designed.  We still suggest you bias a bit lower than the specs so as to prolong your tubes.  The amp will still sound good at that level.  :)

Offline XXXyzledge

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • NO more CEBU PACIFIC flights for me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #460 on: Sep 25, 2008 at 09:01 AM »
higher bias will give your amp more punch.  Initially it sounds more impressive but that is not how the amp is designed.  We still suggest you bias a bit lower than the specs so as to prolong your tubes.  The amp will still sound good at that level.  :)

hi AA!

is there a DIY guide for checking the bias of my a55t?

TIA!
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2008 at 09:02 AM by XXXyzledge »
Cayin, RS1, Velo, QED, Bada         Sony4K, HK, B&W, SVS, Oppo, LaZboy....

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #461 on: Sep 25, 2008 at 01:31 PM »
Hi XXX,

You A55t has a manual and i think at the last page you can find the instructions on how to bias your power tubes.

Hope this helps.

JoeyGS

hi AA!

is there a DIY guide for checking the bias of my a55t?

TIA!

Offline XXXyzledge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #462 on: Sep 25, 2008 at 02:35 PM »
Hi XXX,

You A55t has a manual and i think at the last page you can find the instructions on how to bias your power tubes.

Hope this helps.

JoeyGS

hi neighbor!
thanks for the reply!  :D

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #463 on: Sep 25, 2008 at 03:57 PM »
hi neighbor!
thanks for the reply!  :D

No problemo.....If you need a demo we can schedule it one time  :)

Offline XXXyzledge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #464 on: Sep 25, 2008 at 04:03 PM »

wow!
sarap ng offer!

sabay na kami ni jake!  :D

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #465 on: Sep 25, 2008 at 05:15 PM »

wow!
sarap ng offer!

sabay na kami ni jake!  :D

hmmm...nakakatakot na offer...baka magl*w*y na naman tayo niyan!
˙ ˙ ˙ ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp

Offline XXXyzledge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #466 on: Sep 26, 2008 at 09:00 AM »
hmmm...nakakatakot na offer...baka magl*w*y na naman tayo niyan!

u-usi lang tayo... ahihihihi....
tsaka gusto ko paturo paano magcheck ng bias eh!  ;D

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #467 on: Sep 27, 2008 at 01:21 AM »
Sirs,

We can host a simple tube amp seminar if you guys like.  You know... we can invite some friends and give some technical tips on types of tubes, how to bias, how to change caps.  Heck we can even talk about simple acoustic solutions, placements and vinyl. 

We are not experts per se but given that audio is our biz we have attended as much training and seminars on these topics and we are willing to share :)

Offline A.Chua

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #468 on: Oct 13, 2008 at 10:22 AM »

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #469 on: Oct 13, 2008 at 01:18 PM »
Thanks sir. 

We will feature this CD player with matching amp and pre at the Nov audio fair :)

Offline Alan

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #470 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 03:52 PM »
Greetings to fellow music lovers from around the world. My name is Alan, I live in Canada and I think I may be a part of the Cayin community very shortly. That's where you come in. :)

I have an opportunity to purchase either a Cayin CD-50T for $600.00 CDN or a Cayin CD-15B for $500.00 CDN. Both units have been previously used. 

GOOGLE is my friend and there is a fair amount of information on the CD-50T but precious little (that I was able to find) on the CD-15B. It seems that the dynamic range is greater on the CD-50T, 115dB compared to 102dB on the CD-15B. The CD-50T uses a Burr Brown PCM 1732 DAC but I am unable to determine what DAC is used in the CD-15B. Unable to discover if Phillips or SONY is used for the transport and I can only find the model of the laser (KSS-213Q) for the CD-50T. The CD-15B appears to have a headphone jack with a volume control. One other aspect which I find significant is the difference in weight: 7.8kg for the CD-50T and 12kg for the CD-15B. My first reaction would be that the CD-15B is perhaps a better build.

I would like to have more information as well as input on the differences between these two players. I will be using it in a Acoustat system comprising of the ONE+ONE Electrostatic Speakers powered by a Acoustat Trans Nova Twin 120 Amplifier and the original Acoustat MRP Preamp...both lovingly refurbished and upgraded by Roy A. Esposito of Sounds Like New in South Florida. Roy was part of the original design team at Acoustat....

« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2008 at 03:55 PM by Alan »
I live alone in my heaven, in my love, in my song.
 - F. Rücker

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #471 on: Oct 28, 2008 at 07:08 PM »
Allan,

We will try our best to answer your question since its about a model we never carried.

As for the difference of CD-50T and CDT-15B.  Per our knowledge CDT-15B is solid state only (although i'm not 100% sure since that model is more than 5 yrs old and we carry only the CDT-15A version which comes with solid state and tube outputs).  As for the CD-50T its only pure tube output.  The transport used in the CD-50T is Sony (which per our experience is more reliable than the Philips transport of the CD-15B). 

DAC... well you can upgrade the DAC if you want so there is no biggie on that but i think the CD-50T uses a more advance one than the 15-B.

Weight does not really amount to better in this case given that the CD-50T does not have a ss output hence the savings in weight and parts.  If i were to choose i'd take the CD-50T.  The CD-50T is positioned lower than the CDT-15 (Cayin's midline) which is now replaced by the CDT-23 and just recently by another CD player which we will launch next week :).  However, the CDT-15 is an old model.  Its transport for sure absorbed more wear and tear than the CD-50T and their sonic performance a wash. 

Amazing how Cayin retains its resale value and durability huh  :) 

Offline Alan

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #472 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 09:54 AM »
AudioAmplified...thank you for confusing me even further than I already was! I didn't think that was possible.  :) Just kidding...truth is I am very grateful for all the information you have provided. You have made me aware that I should perhaps take a little more time to familiarize myself with your full line of CD Players and choose according to my needs. One thing is certain...I do not want to be purchasing CD Players every couple of years. If you know what I mean.

Allow me to ask you for a brief assessment of the advantages/disadvantages of a Cayin 'hybrid' CD Player as opposed to a solid state model. Given all the information I have provided about my system...would you have a recommendation as to what model you feel would serve me well?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2008 at 11:51 AM by Alan »
I live alone in my heaven, in my love, in my song.
 - F. Rücker

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #473 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 10:43 AM »
No sweat.

Cayin CDT-15 players are pure tube players  - yes the US distributor made a mistake when they said its hybrid.  Advantages is ... well.. generally speaking since there are exceptions.  Tube players due to the character of tubes will provide a warmer and more holographic soundstage compared to a solid state one of the same price range.  There are some really good solid state players out there mind you so its really hard to make a firm judgement.  When tube players were still very expensive (before the emergence of Chinese gears) people use to add on a buffer or DAC to warm out the sound from their source.  With tubes basically you can forego of that practice. 

I have a couple of clients with Acoustat speakers (they are HUGE) powered by Cayin amp and source and they sounded pretty pleasant to my ears.  Cayin amps will match your speakers.  However, i have never paired Cayin player with an Acoustat amp so i cant share my experience on that.

If you have the budget i suggest you go with the CDT17A model.  Its regularly compared to $10,000 players. 

Offline BigBert-2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #474 on: Nov 02, 2008 at 10:05 PM »

Bro, can you PM me the price of the Cayin MT-35 Integrated amp please.

Thanks

;D

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #475 on: Nov 02, 2008 at 11:43 PM »
We have stopped bringing in the MT-35 since last year because it was no longer good value for money with the launching of the A-50T which has remote, more power and on the fly ultralinear /triode switch.  We still however retained the MT-12

A-50T is priced at 42,000.  We have an on going sale 20% off cash purchases until end of this week only. 

Thanks!

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #476 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 10:55 AM »
sir AudioAmplified,

what cayin amp model is this? how much this amp cost ?

my audiophile friend (who's in china) said that his dealer friend has this cayin amp on sale. according to the dealer this amp is specialy made for the japanese market and does not have a remote control. my friend did a home audition and hooked this amp to his harbeth. it sounded good daw. he is going to buy this amp for his bro, makisabay nalang me.

cheers,

weng

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #477 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 06:05 PM »
Sir,

It looks like an MT-25 with metal face plate.  Uses EL-34 and same tube configuration.  Cayin has phased out MT-35 last year and replaced it with A50T since the A50T gives more power, ultralinear to triode switch and has a handy remote. 

MT-35 used to be priced at 35,000 before discounts. 

Please try to ask your friend to check if the amp being sold is 60Hz since i know China uses 50Hz so we have all our products calibrated at 60Hz to match Phil electricity so as to prevent the trannies from humming in the future.  Another point is - this is most likely either a refurbished unit or a China model.  Cayin does not allow any cross selling.  Like we cannot order any Japanese version or even 110V products.  If the unit is 220-230 volts definitely its not a Japanese model.  Plus... i could not find that model on Cayin-Japan's site  http://cayinlabo.com/products/cayin/index.html

What we have is the German versions which uses 230V but corrected to 60Hz for the Philippine market.

Finally - we cannot cover warranty for this model :)  Just want to be honest since we are required to service only the serial numbers that are sold to us.
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2008 at 10:45 PM by AudioAmplified »

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #478 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 02:28 AM »
yes, it uses EL34 tubes. actually, i don't like the looks of it. i prefer the A-50 aesthetic design. pass nalang me sa amp na to.

pls pm the discounted cash price of A-50 and A-55. include also the MT-35 just for price comparo.

thanks audioamp for the feedback.

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #479 on: Nov 06, 2008 at 09:41 AM »
replied