Author Topic: Official Cayin Thread  (Read 227202 times)

Offline AudioNirvana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Official Cayin Thread
« Reply #480 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 08:22 AM »
Dear sir

5751 instead of 12ax7?

Could it damage the amp? (cayin a55t)

I read this at tubestore.com:
For example, the common 12AX7 type has a gain factor of 100, while a 5751 (which is often used in place of a 12AX7) has a gain factor of 70. This means that if you plug a 5751 into a socket that expects a 12AX7, the pre-amp will have about 30% less gain. Not only will this make the amp quieter, but it can also alter the sound by making the power section work harder when you turn it up

I look at this forum and many people are using 5751 instead of 12ax7 and they are happy with it.
Or is it better not to use 5751 and use specified tubes:for example mullard new sensor reissue? Anyone tried both? Or to pay some serious money for nos 12ax7?
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2008 at 08:29 AM by AudioNirvana »

Offline nizmo

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • i'm new here.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #481 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 08:35 AM »
Dear sir

5751 instead of 12ax7?

I look at this forum and many people are using 5751 instead of 12ax7 and they are happy with it.
Or is it better not to use 5751 and use specified tubes:for example mullard new sensor reissue? Anyone tried both? Or to pay some serious money for nos 12ax7?

hope these info could answer your questions. bro ;D

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/faq/joes-tubes.html
http://www.torresengineering.com/5751jan.html

cheers ;)

Offline Adam Warlock

• DVD Addict
  • Audio is hobby not obsession
  • Liked:
« Reply #482 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 06:48 PM »
hope these info could answer your questions. bro ;D

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/faq/joes-tubes.html
http://www.torresengineering.com/5751jan.html

cheers ;)

Nice read Nizmo  :) very informative. IMHO 5751 are quieter than 12AX7 tube. If you can hunt a sylvania Black plate you hit the jackpot especially with triple mica spacer :) :)

Cheers

Online qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #483 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 06:56 AM »
The power amp will work the same way with the 5751 tube or the 12ax7 tube or any pre-amp for that matter given the same sound pressure level . Its the Pre-amp that will work harder since its output is smaller with the 5751 tube compared to the 12ax7

Dear sir

5751 instead of 12ax7?

I read this at tubestore.com:
This means that if you plug a 5751 into a socket that expects a 12AX7, the pre-amp will have about 30% less gain. Not only will this make the amp quieter, but it can also alter the sound by making the power section work harder when you turn it up

Offline AudioAmplified

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #484 on: Dec 04, 2008 at 12:40 PM »
Price increase notice...

Due to the higher fx and price increase imposed by Cayin; we will be implementing a 10% price increase on all Cayin products January 2009. As unfortunate as this is we our list prices are still 30-40% cheaper than the US prices and 50% cheaper than EU prices.

Please take advantage of our old stocks at lower prices while supplies lasts.

Thanks again for your support.

Offline robdjhojd

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #485 on: Dec 07, 2008 at 04:14 PM »
Sir, pa pm po ng pricelist nyo. thanks
ONKYO 3009 / Polk Audio A9

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #486 on: Dec 08, 2008 at 01:31 PM »
Sir, pa pm po ng pricelist nyo. thanks

Cayin Integrated
A50T - 42K
A70T (el-34 tubes) - 72K
A70T (KT-88 tubes) - 80K
A100T (el-34 tubes) - 95K
A100T (6550 tubes) - 115K
SP 10A (6V6 tubes) - 72K

Cayin CD Player
CD-50T - 28K
CD-100i - 45K
CDT-17A - 75K
SP 300CD - 55K

Please pm if you are interested in separates :) 

Check our website www.audioamplified.com for specs

Offline Bogsle

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #487 on: Dec 19, 2008 at 12:40 PM »
I just saw this link and it seems quite new as the PDF document was created and last modified on May 8th, 2008.

http://www.finallink.com.au/uploads/AVL%20Consumer%20Guide%202008%20-%20Review%20-%20Cayin%20CDT-17A.pdf

Anyway, I just hope there is no redundant posts here.

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #488 on: Dec 19, 2008 at 07:29 PM »
thanks sir for sharing.  thats a new award for the CDT17A.  Cayin as a whole is doing quite well in Aussie, US and EU.

Offline Adam Warlock

• DVD Addict
  • Audio is hobby not obsession
  • Liked:
« Reply #489 on: Dec 20, 2008 at 01:02 PM »
I just saw this link and it seems quite new as the PDF document was created and last modified on May 8th, 2008.

http://www.finallink.com.au/uploads/AVL%20Consumer%20Guide%202008%20-%20Review%20-%20Cayin%20CDT-17A.pdf

Anyway, I just hope there is no redundant posts here.

WOW  :o  :o  :o
Best Buy Award for 2008. Cayin CDT17a is indeed a very good CD player

Cheers
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2008 at 12:19 PM by Adam Warlock »

Offline 4krow

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #490 on: Dec 28, 2008 at 12:08 PM »
Well, it looks like I'm the new kid on the block here, and am quite pleased to find fellow Cayin owners. Already, I have learned much from the forum. I own an older CD22 and love it, but it has one glitch, i.e., sometimes after turning it on, if it is touched, it produces a loud hiss. If you are careful, and remember to ground yourself first, then there is no hiss. Pretty weird huh?
  On another related Cayin subject, I recently bought a used Cayin A70T(it hasnt arrived yet), but have found that there is more than one version of this intergrated. So, can I tell more from the serial number, or other markings as to whether it is 30watt class 'A' output, or the newer 50watt 'PP' output. Even the manuals online don't seeem to agree. And nobody ever mentions the biasing process needed for different output tubes. I'll know more when the amp arrives. thx in the meantime for your input....greg ;D

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #491 on: Dec 28, 2008 at 10:20 PM »
Well, it looks like I'm the new kid on the block here, and am quite pleased to find fellow Cayin owners. Already, I have learned much from the forum. I own an older CD22 and love it, but it has one glitch, i.e., sometimes after turning it on, if it is touched, it produces a loud hiss. If you are careful, and remember to ground yourself first, then there is no hiss. Pretty weird huh?
  On another related Cayin subject, I recently bought a used Cayin A70T(it hasnt arrived yet), but have found that there is more than one version of this intergrated. So, can I tell more from the serial number, or other markings as to whether it is 30watt class 'A' output, or the newer 50watt 'PP' output. Even the manuals online don't seeem to agree. And nobody ever mentions the biasing process needed for different output tubes. I'll know more when the amp arrives. thx in the meantime for your input....greg ;D

CD22?  Is this the old solid state version that was sold only in canada?  The versions that we carried were CDT-15A, replaced by CDT-23A then replaced by V-CD100i.  We also have the CD-50T and CDT-17A plus the new SP-CD300.  Sorry sir i am not familiar with that model.  Either it is one of those old models prior to us bringing in Cayin 4 yrs ago or a local China version.

Send us the serial number of the A70t and we can verify if its the 30watt version or not.  Generally the 30 watt version can carry both EL34 and KT88 so it has a toggle switch on its top plate.

Offline 4krow

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #492 on: Dec 28, 2008 at 11:42 PM »
   Thank you for the quick reply.  The CD22 is an older version, but seemed to be the upgraded version of the CD17, according to the Google search that I did. It sports both tube and transistor outputs, and upgraded caps. I didn't read much further, so I don't know of any specific area that is was intended for. My unit is 220v, so it appears that it may be European.
  I will wait for the integrated to arrive(so far, ups hasn't even acknowledged the unit ariving at the recieving dock, but the tracking number has been given). Anyway, I look forward to reading more about these great products. regards, Greg

Offline 4krow

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #493 on: Dec 29, 2008 at 05:10 AM »
  Well, there I go again, trusting my memory to remember model numbers correctly. The CD22 was an upgraded model of the CD15. It does sport a tube/transistor output/numerious high quality caps/silver signsl wire, and more. Still due to the 220v ac requirement, it may be produced for another country, and not readily available here. Interestingly enough, the article describes a possible reference to the problem that I have with the unit. It is that there is a relay that disconnects the digital circuit just before the analog audio circuit is engaged. This occurs after the reading of a disc, and just before the playing of that disc. If I get brave enough, I will take off the top cover and poke around a bit.................Greg

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #494 on: Dec 29, 2008 at 09:44 AM »
I checked with Cayin and here are our findings.

CD-22 appears to be a local chinese version that is modified by or for a HK distributor HIT AUDIO (220v but in pretty sure its 50Hz not 60Hz).  This model was released 2002-2003.  Cayin has since prohibited any distributors from re-naming their products and selling as modified versions which will result to confusion over their export models. I presume you are not based here in the Philippines.  Why not bring the unit to a Cayin distributor to have it check and cleaned.  Cayin products are sturdy (yours is 6-7 years old already) but from time to time maintenance would be good to ensure optimum performance.  Servicing it yourself isnt a good idea unless you know electronics and have the schematics on hand.

Happy New Year

Offline 4krow

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #495 on: Dec 29, 2008 at 01:01 PM »
   Your right, I'm not from the Philippines(even though my wife is, but that doesn't count, does it). I really am impressed with the quickness of your replies, so, thank you. I do have quite a bit of experience with electronics, but as you stated, a schematic would be invaluable here(as well as repair manual).
 In the meantime, I will wrestle with ups about the arrival of the Cayin A 70T. When everything is said and done, I still feel that this worth it. More than likely, I will have additional observations after I have 'sat in' with the system for awhile.......

cheers, Greg

Offline Speedytec

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #496 on: Dec 31, 2008 at 08:52 AM »
Hi,

My friend has a Cayin A-88T (6550) which sounds beautiful on my system, so now I'm looking to purchase one too. But I'm a bit confused with the Cayin A-70T model. This seems quite similar but I could not find a good direct comparison between these two amps.

The A-70T can handle more tubes and is easier to bias from the top side, so is this A-70T now a newer model / improvement to the A-88T? Specs say A-70T can deliver a bit more power...
A-70T has a tube rectifier if I'm not mistaken? The A-88T uses a solid state rectifier?

Please advice.
(I also looked to the A-100T, but I think this will be a bit too much for me. Heat/power consumption wise...)   

Thxs

Offline 4krow

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #497 on: Jan 01, 2009 at 10:18 AM »
  I have seen the A88T, and it is very attractive! It appears that you are right, since I see no mention of a rectifier tube in the tube compliment. The A70T, on the other hand is tube rectified. I wouldn't worry too much about a few watts difference in power output between the two amps. 5-10 watts will not mean anything as far as volume. Then you mention the fact that the 70T can accept a greater variety of output tubes. That would likely be the biggest reason for me to consider one model over the other. And the biasing from the top of the 70T would also intrest me as well. Where are the bias trim pots on the 88T? Coming full circle, I still have to say that the 88T looks 'better dressed' than the 70. Hope this helps a little.....one last thing, Cayin seems to offer a variety of products in every catagory, so it is harder to tell who came first.....Greg

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #498 on: Jan 01, 2009 at 10:47 AM »
Happy New Year!!!

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #499 on: Jan 01, 2009 at 10:43 PM »
Happy New Year!!!

Thanks sir... happy new year to you too :)

Do visit us if you have time.  Kape at kwentuhan tayo with noel.  We might have some new mundorf items too this 2009 :)

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #500 on: Jan 01, 2009 at 11:37 PM »
Thanks sir... happy new year to you too :)

Do visit us if you have time.  Kape at kwentuhan tayo with noel.  We might have some new mundorf items too this 2009 :)

Sure sir would love that, pasyal ako minsan...   :)

Thanks

Offline Speedytec

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #501 on: Jan 02, 2009 at 09:16 AM »
  I have seen the A88T, and it is very attractive! It appears that you are right, since I see no mention of a rectifier tube in the tube compliment. The A70T, on the other hand is tube rectified. I wouldn't worry too much about a few watts difference in power output between the two amps. 5-10 watts will not mean anything as far as volume. Then you mention the fact that the 70T can accept a greater variety of output tubes. That would likely be the biggest reason for me to consider one model over the other. And the biasing from the top of the 70T would also intrest me as well. Where are the bias trim pots on the 88T? Coming full circle, I still have to say that the 88T looks 'better dressed' than the 70. Hope this helps a little.....one last thing, Cayin seems to offer a variety of products in every catagory, so it is harder to tell who came first.....Greg

Still wondering about this...
Read here in this thread somewhere that the A-70T is/was the "predesessor" of the A-88T? Strange then that I only now see the A-70T model on the market while the A-88T had already (good) reviews some years ago. ??? (And the A-88T is still priced higher then the A-70T...) 

That few extra watts don't bother me. I just want to know is there is a sound/performance difference.

(And I just found out that there is/was also the Cayin Ti88 amp and now a newer model VP100i, based on this model. Getting confused here...)
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2009 at 09:31 AM by Speedytec »

Offline 4krow

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #502 on: Jan 02, 2009 at 12:02 PM »
  I'll go out on a limb here and guess that the 88T is the better of the two amps. (88T-70T).  My only reasoning is that Cayin seems to be a fair company, and if they charge more for a product, there must be a difference. In this case, it may be even more attractive cosmetics than the 70T. As far as the tube compliment, that may be the clincher as to whether one or the other amp is better for you. What I mean is that one set of tubes may be a better match to your speakers. This would take a little research, but would be well worth it. Not to mention your own preferences as to the sound of each amp.
  I must admit that Cayin makes too many models for me to make sense of it all. Even the cd player that I have, the CD22, is one that was not widely known, and only sold in China. And when I started to research the A70T, I found more than one A70T, yet different specs. for each?? Now it seems that I have a couple more to look at. Let me know what you decide.
                         cheers, Greg

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #503 on: Jan 02, 2009 at 01:53 PM »
Sirs,

The A-88 is more expensive because its face plate and polished stainless body is more expensive to make... plus Cayin being a for profit company also wanted to make a lil more our of the A-88T's popularity.  However, if it comes to performance the A-70 (which supposedly was scheduled to replace the 6 yr old A-88T in 2007) is heaps better than the A-88t.  Why... the A-70t has bigger trannies, it is tube rectified and for the same tubes it generates more power.  This year the A-88t will finally be discontinued according to some distributors.  The aussie distributor has already announced this in their website.

We have both models in stock for a while and had a hard time selling the A-88t :)  Yes, the A-70t is cheaper but its better... thats good for us.

For the product line... yes Cayin is stream lining.
A-50 series with CD-50T will form their entry level integrated
A-70 (V100i) with their VCD will form their mid line integrated
A-100 with the CD-17 will form the top line integrated
SP series will be their sexy sexy wood vintage series

« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2009 at 01:55 PM by AudioAmplified »

Offline Speedytec

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #504 on: Jan 02, 2009 at 09:43 PM »
Ok,

Now I'm getting somewhere, but still confused then with a previous description you wrote:
The Cayin A-70T is the predecessor to the well reviewed A-88T.  As an improvement, the A-70T uses bigger transformers (actually the biggest in Cayin's integrated line-up) as well as tube rectification.  The end result is more power (55 watts per channel) and better dynamics throughout.  It comes in either EL34s, 6CA7, KT-88 or 6550 versions.

Predecessor is then not correct here; the A-70T is the SUCCESSOR of the well reviewed A-88T, because A-70T has bigger trannies + tube rectification.
That should make sense then, correct??

Thxs

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #505 on: Jan 02, 2009 at 10:11 PM »
Ok,

Now I'm getting somewhere, but still confused then with a previous description you wrote:
The Cayin A-70T is the predecessor to the well reviewed A-88T.  As an improvement, the A-70T uses bigger transformers (actually the biggest in Cayin's integrated line-up) as well as tube rectification.  The end result is more power (55 watts per channel) and better dynamics throughout.  It comes in either EL34s, 6CA7, KT-88 or 6550 versions.

Predecessor is then not correct here; the A-70T is the SUCCESSOR of the well reviewed A-88T, because A-70T has bigger trannies + tube rectification.
That should make sense then, correct??

Hahaha Successor :) sorry typing too fast.  The A70 will replace the A88 for some countries.  Other countries will use the V100i as replacement.  We like the A70 better since it uses peanut tubes in its pre amp section which is cheaper to tube roll. 

A70 has two version.  One uses EL34 or 6CA7 and another uses 6550 and KT88.  It used to come with a Class A 28 watt version too which we sold a few units before deciding to just carry the higher powered version solely.

Thanks for the correction sir.
Thxs

Offline Speedytec

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #506 on: Jan 02, 2009 at 11:20 PM »
OK, an A-70T it will be then.  8)
Any recommendation on the tubes?
(Probably will go for a K88 model version, so I can compare tubes with my friends 6550's...)

Thxs

Offline 4krow

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #507 on: Jan 03, 2009 at 02:08 AM »
  See what I mean? These guys are really on their game here! Not only fast replies, but knowledgable replies as well. This is the kind of service that is always hard to find, but well worth it when you do.
  I didnt realize that A70T was the champ between the two 70T/88T, so I guess it was just dumb luck that I bought the 70T. It still hasn't arrived yet, but I am more anxious than ever.

regards,  Greg

Online qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #508 on: Jan 03, 2009 at 06:03 AM »

Got an A-70T myself (its the 30 watt version) and been a happy camper eversince !!!

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #509 on: Jan 03, 2009 at 09:47 PM »
OK, an A-70T it will be then.  8)
Any recommendation on the tubes?
(Probably will go for a K88 model version, so I can compare tubes with my friends 6550's...)

Thxs

Audition both the el34 and kt88 version ans choose based on which your ear prefers.  There is no better tube between the two.  Just a tube that is better for the type of music you listen.

Audition is key.  enjoy...