Author Topic: Official Cayin Thread  (Read 227241 times)

Offline Adam Warlock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Audio is hobby not obsession
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Official Cayin Thread
« Reply #510 on: Jan 07, 2009 at 03:06 PM »
OK, an A-70T it will be then.  8)
Any recommendation on the tubes?
(Probably will go for a K88 model version, so I can compare tubes with my friends 6550's...)

Thxs

It really depend on your listening bias or preference. Basic character of the 3 tubes: EL34 warm sound, very nice mids, 6550 Dynamic sound,  leaning on SS sonics, warm mids and kt88 is crossed between the 2 tubes. As Tyrone mentioned, its your ears that will decide.  :) :) :)

Cheers

Offline ptubeh

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #511 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 11:18 AM »
Hi,

Regarding the a70t,

Is the model difference just which tubes it ships with, or can you use KT88, 6550, EL34, 6CA7 by just re-biasing?

Thanks.

Offline ptubeh

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #512 on: Jan 30, 2009 at 01:28 PM »
  On another related Cayin subject, I recently bought a used Cayin A70T(it hasnt arrived yet), but have found that there is more than one version of this intergrated. So, can I tell more from the serial number, or other markings as to whether it is 30watt class 'A' output, or the newer 50watt 'PP' output. Even the manuals online don't seeem to agree. And nobody ever mentions the biasing process needed for different output tubes. I'll know more when the amp arrives. thx in the meantime for your input....greg ;D

First of all, they are both PP.  One is class A the other is class AB1 (the more powerful one). I recently got a used one and it is a bogus mess as far as I can tell.  I found that out after I took it to a friend who has 35 years experience building everything from SET amps to AM radio transmitters (tube) and the corresponding power supplies.  He wanted to see how it bench tested, even before we listened to it.

Here is what we found.  The frequency response is excellent 10Hz to 60kHz, and the build quality is very good.  But that is the end of it.  My manual says that mine is Class A2 at 30W.  But there was no grid current source, so it could not have operated in class A2.  More likely the 30W version operates in Class A1.  The bias circuit was so bad that there was massive (5% - 10%) crossover distortion at 10W output.  The values of the "auto bias" circuit resistors were way off.  Looks like someone grabbed the wrong resistors out of the parts bin.

The power supply was incredibly strange.  It looks like the rectifier tube was just standing in the socket for show.  At the base of the socket were 4 solid state diodes that function as a bridge rectifier.  These were doing the rectification.  The choke input filter was completely bypassed.  That is, the power supply only looks like it is tube rectified.  The tube seems to be doing nothing.

So we were speculating that the 30W version was originally class A and probably tube rectified.  But the 5AR4 is marginal in this situation, according to my friend.  Most kt88 amps uses two of these tubes for the rectification.  So they may have had problems with the power supply and hence went to SS rectification.  But, since the amps were in production, they couldn't very well remove the tube socket and close the hole.  So they just left the tube in the amp, but went to SS rectification.  Or more likely, when they decided to make the 55W version, the decided to go to SS rectification.  So it appears that either the power supply was originally tube rectified and that either reliability or the evolution to the AB1 version necessitated going to SS because the single 5AR4 couldn't handle it.  In either case, the situation sucks.

I have no explanation for the bad biasing circuit in my sample.

So here is what we are thinking about doing...

Bias the amp Class A using a cathode bias as opposed to the so-called auto-bias.  Revert the power supply to tube rectification using either a GZ37 or a 5V3 which can provide 350 mA into a choke, as opposed to the 250mA that the single 5AR4 is capable of (provided that the power supply trannies have a suitable tap).

If you don't believe this situation, you can find a photo of the circuit somewhere on the web (don't have the link at the moment) which shows the diodes strapped across the base of the rectifier tube.  The photo is pretty high res so you can zoom in and see what is going on.

All of that being said, I think that it probably sounds great in either version assuming that there is no mistake in the bias circuit (which I must assume is what happened to mine).  I would be interested to know if the 30W versions actually used the rectifier tube.  If so, I can sort of forgive the presence of the tube in the 55W version since there was a pragmatic evolution.  If not, then shame on the company for the deception.

Bear in mind that I am no electronics expert; so take these comment with a grain of salt.  However my friend who is highly skilled, was very puzzled with these finding, to say the least.  In any case, he is going to straighten out the amp.  Given that the output trannies are very good, and the circuit is basically simple, it has the potential to sound very good.  Hence the effort to get it right.  My amp is a little over two years old.  Maybe it was built during the transition to the 55W version and mine got a little screwed up - neither fish nor fowl so to speak.

If any one else has an explanation for the 4 diode rectifiers strapped at the base of the rectifier tube to function as a bridge rectifier, I would sure be interested in hearing it.  And if I have mis-stated anything technically, please correct me.  I do not want spread bad information, or to induce audiophile angst in anyone, because that is rampant enough.  But, this is quite a mystery to us.  And it all started with noticing the huge crossover distortion.

Interestingly enough, the guy who sold it to me had it for two years and enjoyed it.  And I though it sounded pretty good as well - albeit kind of hard a moderate volumes.  He also swore to me that a Mullard 5AR4 was the only way to go.  I even though I heard diference in the rectifier tubes that I tried.  We audiophiles are sure capable of fair amount of self-delusion.

If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be interesting.  And I don't mind being told that me and my friend are full of s***, provided there is some kind of accompanying explanation.  You dealers - got anything to say about that power supply issue?  And why is it not possible to get Cayin circuit diagrams?  I also have a Yaqin MC100B, and the diagrams are readily available and ACCURATE.   (The Yaqin is dirt cheap by comparison - output trannies don't seem to be as good though).   Why won't Cayin release those diagrams.  There is NOTHING proprietary going on and it would be a great help in trying to decide what to do with the amp.

Offline ptubeh

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #513 on: Jan 31, 2009 at 10:37 AM »
Here is the link to a jpeg showing the diodes at the base of the rectifier socket.  It is on the website of one of the contributers (dealers) to this thread.

http://www.audioamplified.com/Cayin/Images/Amplifier/A-70T/A70T_inside.jpg

So it is not just my amp...

Online qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #514 on: Jan 31, 2009 at 12:31 PM »
Mine has the same 4 pieces of diode,  not a electronics buff so would not know if its supposed to be there or not, but tube or SS rectified, its the over all packeage thats important.

Maybe its a hybrid power supply  ;D

Photos of my nude Cayin sent...

Offline AudioAmplified

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #515 on: Jan 31, 2009 at 02:22 PM »
Sir ptubeh,

Thanks for your inputs.  We have sent your comments to Cayin so as to get their side of the coin.  Given that it is their Chinese new year break it should take a couple of weeks for them to reply.  I myself am not an electronic expert so I could not comment on your very technical literature. 

We have the diagram of all Cayin products that we carry so that our technician can service then.  However, we cannot post them online to protect the design patents of Cayin per our distribution contract.  Feel free to visit us anytime if you wish to take a look at the diagram and we can also discuss in more detail Cayin's designs.

By the way... I see that you joined Pdvd two week ago and this is your First post at pinoydvd :)  Welcome to the community.  Pdvd will surely learn a lot from your technical knowledge.  Cheers.
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2009 at 02:28 PM by AudioAmplified »

Offline ptubeh

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #516 on: Jan 31, 2009 at 05:36 PM »
Sir ptubeh,

Thanks for your inputs.  We have sent your comments to Cayin so as to get their side of the coin.  Given that it is their Chinese new year break it should take a couple of weeks for them to reply.  I myself am not an electronic expert so I could not comment on your very technical literature. 

We have the diagram of all Cayin products that we carry so that our technician can service then.  However, we cannot post them online to protect the design patents of Cayin per our distribution contract.  Feel free to visit us anytime if you wish to take a look at the diagram and we can also discuss in more detail Cayin's designs.

By the way... I see that you joined Pdvd two week ago and this is your First post at pinoydvd :)  Welcome to the community.  Pdvd will surely learn a lot from your technical knowledge.  Cheers.

Hi,

Thanks for the response.  Yes, I started looking at Chinese tube amps a few months ago when I had some problems with my Audio Innovations Series 700.  (I subsequently got a Border Patrol power supply and fixed it up).  I got a Yaqin to try out because it was cheap.  It is an honest piece of gear that sounds pretty good, but uses too much feedback.  We lowered the feedback as well as tweaked it for better high frequency extension, and in its current state it is VERY enjoyable to listen to.

Since that was successful, I decided to try a more highly regarded product and choose the Cayin.  That is when I discover this thread.

As a follow up, my friend finished fixing up the amp this evening and gave me a call.  He said that it sounds extremely good.  For the power supply rectification he actually implement the hybrid solution by using two of the diodes and a GZ37 (beefier 5AR4) tube.  We weren't sure what the original bias was supposed to be.  We were just sure that it was wrong.  So he implemented class A1 biasing and said that it produces 25W in this mode.  That the result sounds excellent does not surprise me too much because I thought (or perhaps hoped) that the output trannies would be good.

In any case, it was a very positive result.

We still don't understand what the choke was doing.  We also noticed that there is no center tap on the secondary of the output transformer, so according to my friend, the only way to use the tube is in a "hybrid" manner, with two of the other diodes.  The experiment that would tell the story is to take the rectifier tube out of an unmodified amp and see if the amp still works.  If the amp still works then the amp is fully rectified with diodes, and the tube is not doing anything.  If it doesn't work, then there is some sort of hybrid arrangement going on that we don't understand.

Unfortunately I will be traveling for the next week, so I won't hear the results of his work for a while.  But, after being initially cynical, he was very enthusiastic when he called to report the results of the biasing fix.  That was the primary problem.  The power supply design is more a puzzle than a problem, and perhaps a mark against the Cayin brand if we discover that the rectifier tube is just cosmetic.  It will be interesting to see what the manufacture has to say about it.  Once again, I grant that we may have not correctly interpreted what was going on with the power supply.  However, there was no question that the biasing circuit had problems.

Once again, thank for the response.  I don't have any particular axe to grind here.  I would just like to understand what is going on.

Offline 4krow

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #517 on: Jan 31, 2009 at 11:40 PM »
  Well guys, I just couldn't help myself, and removed the rectifier tube after turning on my Cayin A70T. Guess what? The amp seems to run fine....Now I will also give the manufacturer a chance for response, and will be very curious about their reply. As coincidence happened, I had to break in to my amp to repair a faulty power connection, and when I was in there, I noticed only TWO diodes under the rectifier tube. I too, was puzzled by this, but buttoned the amp back up and enjoyed the music. I did not look so carefully at the choke and other issues mentioned, so I am not much help that way......cheers,  Greg

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #518 on: Feb 01, 2009 at 12:52 AM »
No problem sir.  I am not saying that you have an axe to grind nor did i even imply that.  Your inputs in the further knowledge and improvement of any product for that matter is welcome specially in an open forum such as this.

We will wait for Cayin to reply our email so that we can provide you a good answer to your concerns.  Cayin being one of the largest tube and OEM producer does owe all of us an answer to your concerns.  We will focus our queries on the 30W class A version which seems to be the version of interest here.  We will have to secure one unit of this version too so that we can explore it more closely since we only brought in a handful of the 30W version and had since shifted to the 55W version.

While awaiting the answer lets all set aside the technicalities for a while and enjoy the music :)

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #519 on: Feb 01, 2009 at 01:36 AM »
Here is the link to a jpeg showing the diodes at the base of the rectifier socket.  It is on the website of one of the contributers (dealers) to this thread.

http://www.audioamplified.com/Cayin/Images/Amplifier/A-70T/A70T_inside.jpg

So it is not just my amp...

is it 4 or 2 diodes?

i can only see 2 diodes under the tube rectifier and judging by their size scale to the socket are 3 amp diodes... from what I am seeing from that pic, those 2 diodes form the negative part of the bridge rectifier while the positive part is formed by the 5AR4. that way you still enjoy the 5AR4's slow start/ramp voltage during cold power start ups and more importantly, the tube rectifier isn't there just for show and is actually wired "in-circuit".  ;D

a schematic or a more high resolution picture would truly be helpful in explaining the existence/purpose of the ss diodes.

btw, is that a motorized volume control? that may explain the use of ss psu too...  :)

like AA said, let's enjoy the music!  :)

cheers

Offline ptubeh

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #520 on: Feb 01, 2009 at 01:43 AM »
Yes, lets do enjoy the music.  But the previous poster's experiment proves my friends hypothesis.  The rectifier tube is bogus.   So for all of you that are experimenting with expensive Mullard rectifier tubes, you can quit, because like me  you are deluding yourselves.  The only thing that tube is doing in the circuit is glowing.  My friend took advantage of the socket and implemented a hybrid power supply, which in theory should be better at handling power surges and transients.

Any it WILL be interesting to hear what Cayin has to say about this!

Enjoy your amp and the music that it produces.  The power supply has little to do with the ultimate sonic result.  If your amp is properly biased, according to my friend it should sound great.

Offline ptubeh

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #521 on: Feb 01, 2009 at 01:48 AM »
Last post on this for awhile...

There are 4 diodes.  The other two are beneath the large ones that you see in the picture.  The are much smaller - and we don't understand the asymetry.(sp?)  And your suggestion about the positive and negative parts being handled by the diodes and the tube is exactly what my friend implemented for me.

Offline 4krow

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #522 on: Feb 01, 2009 at 03:54 AM »
 As always, One amp will sound different than another, and even better, regardless of preference. The music is a matter of taste as well, regardless of how well it is written or performed. But the topic here is one of perception of a product based on appearance(glowing rectifier tubes must mean tube rectified,right?). And that's the rub. Now to hear the designers' theory/response to the quandry may be all we need to be satisfied. But in light of all this, I must admit, it will be a whole new theory when you can run an amp w/o the rectifier tube in place at all! I wouldn't advise it in case there is a sort of paralell ??? operation going on. Maybe the tube rectifier is only really neccesary in the ultralinear mode, where as the triode mode doesn't require as much current draw. Just guessing on my part, so until I know the truth, I'll refrain from judgement......Greg

Offline AudioAmplified

• DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #523 on: Feb 01, 2009 at 10:11 AM »
Sir,

As we have mentioned before, we have already emailed Cayin your question and they should reply in a week or so after they return from their Chinese New Year break (which is like 2 weeks in China).  Rest assured that we will try our best to answer your concerns.

Should you have time, we would also like to invite you and your friend to our showroom together with tube master JojoD.  Perhaps Cayin's design might be further improved by your friends modifications which we are very curious to learn for our own personal knowledge.  We might even be able to arrange a telecon for you with Cayin's engineers so that you may dialogue with them directly.  As for releasing the diagrams, I am sorry we cannot do it given that these are patented by Cayin - although we are more than happy to show them to you without releasing any copies.  Designs are proprietary and I doubt if we can find any diagrams of VTL, Jadis or BAT just off the net for that matter.

Perhaps let us wait a little, and enjoy the music a little.  In fairness to Cayin, they are part-owned by China Aeronautics and a German partner Cayin and have produced some award winning products that are quite popular in countries with the most stringent quality controls such as Japan, Germany and the US.  Likewise, Cayin OEM for so many popular brands that I cannot mention here due to confidentiality (but im sure we all know a few of these brand) and is highly respected in the audio industry.  As such judging them so harshly with words such as deceitful, bogus and "sucks" without giving their engineers a chance to explain their design might be a little but too unfair at this point.  Technically, we have some idea on the layout of this amp but we will reserve the comments for the Cayin designers.

If you are truly unhappy with the A70 sample you have. You can also pm us the serial and we can check if it came from us.  If it is we would be willing to buy it back and perhaps you can have your friend design and DIY you an amp that is true to the specs that you want.  After all audio is very subjective and as a Mundorf parts distributor we do know a lot of people who are into DIY and have made some pretty outstanding amps.  Sorry - i am trying to be very neutral here.  After all we are the distributor and I admit that I am biased towards our product - its human nature. 

You may ring me or Noel at 395-5115 or 0917-536-0499 so that we can try to understand any issues you may need us to clarify with Cayin :)

Sir 4krow - sorry cant help you much with your amp given that you are not here in the Philippines.  Do pm me the serial number and I can help you check which version you have.  Seems that both of you have the class a with autobias version which we stopped carrying for 2 years already and dont have any sample on hand.

Thanks all... and have a nice weekend.

Online qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
« Reply #524 on: Feb 01, 2009 at 06:11 PM »

a schematic or a more high resolution picture would truly be helpful in explaining the existence/purpose of the ss diodes.

Photos sent  via email...

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #525 on: Feb 01, 2009 at 08:41 PM »
Photos sent  via email...

Thanks for the pics.

Offline alexg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #526 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 01:38 PM »

is it 4 or 2 diodes?

i can only see 2 diodes under the tube rectifier and judging by their size scale to the socket are 3 amp diodes... from what I am seeing from that pic, those 2 diodes form the negative part of the bridge rectifier while the positive part is formed by the 5AR4. that way you still enjoy the 5AR4's slow start/ramp voltage during cold power start ups and more importantly, the tube rectifier isn't there just for show and is actually wired "in-circuit".  ;D

btw, is that a motorized volume control? that may explain the use of ss psu too...  :)

like AA said, let's enjoy the music!  :)

cheers

I magnified the pix and it shows two diodes, if it is two diodes, JojoD is right, it is a "graetz" bridge (did I spell it right?). This arrangement is used to derived B+ using tube rectifier from secondaries with no center tap, the two diodes takes care of the negative connection to ground and the 5ar4 takes care of the other two "diodes" which makes the rectification a bridge rectifier. This kind of bridge rectification retains the "sound" of the tube rectifier in spite of using two SS diodes.

Can somebody please post closeup picture of the 5ar4 tube socket on the A70? Thanks.
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #527 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 02:22 PM »
The frequency response is excellent 10Hz to 60kHz, and the build quality is very good.

hi, may i ask at what power level this was taken? if at full power before onset of clipping, then i would say his output transformer is top notch....

can you encourage your friend to post here? .... so we can have a very enlightening discussions.... ;D

Here is what we found.  The frequency response is excellent 10Hz to 60kHz, and the build quality is very good.  But that is the end of it.  My manual says that mine is Class A2 at 30W.  But there was no grid current source, so it could not have operated in class A2.  More likely the 30W version operates in Class A1.  The bias circuit was so bad that there was massive (5% - 10%) crossover distortion at 10W output.  The values of the "auto bias" circuit resistors were way off.  Looks like someone grabbed the wrong resistors out of the parts bin.

this got me thinking, a class A amp should have no cross-over distortion, since tubes are conducting all the time, unlike in class AB where one tube cuts-off(well not really off, tubes are really hard to cut-off) wht gives here?

even class AB will have some class A operation on the first few watts, then will transition to AB, this is true for tubes and Solid state amps.

class A2 implies positive grid bias on signal peaks, capacitor coupling simply will not do here, there will be blocking distortions big time...at least a cathode follower directly coupled to the output grids is the thing to look out for.

would be interesting to find out how they measure up..... ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2009 at 03:13 PM by TonyT »
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline Lilo_improbum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #528 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 03:48 PM »
sir  tony singit lng ako ha.. hehehe ;D  good pm!  ask ko lng ha, pwd ko bang i parallel ang dalawang TRAFFO?  example 39 0 39  20 amps... safe ba?   

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #529 on: Feb 02, 2009 at 05:03 PM »
I magnified the pix and it shows two diodes, if it is two diodes, JojoD is right, it is a "graetz" bridge (did I spell it right?). This arrangement is used to derived B+ using tube rectifier from secondaries with no center tap, the two diodes takes care of the negative connection to ground and the 5ar4 takes care of the other two "diodes" which makes the rectification a bridge rectifier. This kind of bridge rectification retains the "sound" of the tube rectifier in spite of using two SS diodes.

Can somebody please post closeup picture of the 5ar4 tube socket on the A70? Thanks.

After studying the pics qguy sent me, it seems that there are two (2) solid state 1A fast recovery diodes below the two (2) solid state 3A fast recovery diodes. The 1A FR diodes are in parallel with the 5AR4 which forms the upper part of the bridge (you're right it's Graetz) while the 3A FR diodes form the lower part of the bridge. All four diodes are neatly soldered under the 5AR4 rectifier tube socket and should be visible from the top when the 5AR4 is removed from it's socket.

We all know that for silicon diodes, the typical forward bias voltage drop is 0.7 volts, nominal knee, still, much lower than that of any tube rectifier. We also know that the ability of a diode to withstand reverse-bias voltages is limited, as it is for any insulator. If the applied reverse-bias voltage becomes too great, the diode will experience a condition known as junction breakdown (or simply breakdown), which is usually destructive. Not second guessing, but this could be why Cayin insisted in retaining the tube rectifier and act as a "shock absorber" during reverse bias conditions.

Somebody correct me please, my silicon theories are a bit rusty...

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #530 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 05:00 AM »
jojo, with all four SS rectifiers in there the tube serves only one purpose, "showmanship" ;D you can pull it out anytime and no one will ever notice...current flows in the path of least resistance, this is OHM's law, no one can break it, it is as simple as it can get.....that tube serves no electronic function except to waste power on its filament, you are better off without it.... ;)

to all,

missrepresention happens when amps are advertised at 30 watts can only manage 25, that's a no-no......it is a pity there is no such law here in the Philippines to make this illegal, at least that i know of....perhaps lawyer members here can shed some light.
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2009 at 05:06 AM by TonyT »
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #531 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 05:11 AM »
Not second guessing, but this could be why Cayin insisted in retaining the tube rectifier and act as a "shock absorber" during reverse bias conditions.

then use ss diodes with higher piv ratings, i am sure the designer is aware of this.....
say the b+ is 450, then the secondary of the power traffo will have about 320volts rms, for this you will need at least 600v ss diodes higher will be better...... ;D

Online qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
« Reply #532 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 05:38 AM »
eto na ang pics

Online qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
« Reply #533 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 05:41 AM »
jojo, with all four SS rectifiers in there the tube serves only one purpose, "showmanship" ;D you can pull it out anytime and no one will ever notice

Does this mean I can change it to a large sexy bottle ST GZ37 ? hehehe

I was hoping to find an ST bottle 5ar4, but wala pala... this may be the solution

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #534 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 10:36 AM »
jojo, with all four SS rectifiers in there the tube serves only one purpose, "showmanship" ;D you can pull it out anytime and no one will ever notice...current flows in the path of least resistance, this is OHM's law, no one can break it, it is as simple as it can get.....that tube serves no electronic function except to waste power on its filament, you are better off without it.... ;)

to all,

missrepresention happens when amps are advertised at 30 watts can only manage 25, that's a no-no......it is a pity there is no such law here in the Philippines to make this illegal, at least that i know of....perhaps lawyer members here can shed some light.

current flows in the path of least resistance, that's exactly the sentence that I was looking for... thanks  ;D

then use ss diodes with higher piv ratings, i am sure the designer is aware of this.....
say the b+ is 450, then the secondary of the power traffo will have about 320volts rms, for this you will need at least 600v ss diodes higher will be better...... ;D

what's bothering me all night is why use 1A for the upper section of the bridge (the ones in parallel with the plate and cathode of the 5ar4) and then 3A for the lower section of the bridge... (as seen in qguy's posted pic)...

both 3A and 1A fast recovery diodes are rated 1KV, enough headroom already...  ;)

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #535 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 10:53 AM »
what's bothering me all night is why use 1A for the upper section of the bridge (the ones in parallel with the plate and cathode of the 5ar4) and then 3A for the lower section of the bridge...

it doesn't bother me at all, the total drain on the power supply is not even more than 650mA....they can stick a 1A amp in there no worries... ;D

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #536 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 12:02 PM »
it doesn't bother me at all, the total drain on the power supply is not even more than 650mA....they can stick a 1A amp in there no worries... ;D

ok, if the total drain is around that (even in class A mode) then they would never go past that (i knew that  ;D).

but still, why use 3A types instead of just using 1A types for all the four diodes?  ;D diba?  ::)

btw, I already saw (in action) 1N4007 diodes and a 5U4GB tube rectifier form a bridge rectifier for a el34 pp amp and frankly I'm not bothered with it and it works just as if it were a pure ss bridge.   :)

Offline ptubeh

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #537 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 03:02 PM »
Hi guys,

I am from the USA, if you haven't guessed that by now.  I haven't had a chance to keep up with this thread since I am travelling.  I sent email to my friend but he said that he could not register for this forum because registration was currently blocked.  He was going to contribute his findings.

But he says exactly the same thing as TonyT, in particular, that current will take the path of least resistance, so that the rectifier tube is there for one reason - showmanship.  We were also very puzzled by the fact that two of the diodes are 3A and two are 1A.  TonyT is right - it would work with four 1A diodes.  The only reason that we could come up with was that the soldering work is easier with the larger diodes on top.

But TonyT has also gotten to heart of my concern.  This looks like a case of marketing hype.  These amps have been reviewed around the world, and no one has noticed this yet.  What does that tell us about the quality or the reviews?

This really make me feel bad though.  The Chinese could easily have built this as a SS rectified amp or a tube rectified amp.  The SS amp is cheaper, no doubt, but to masquerade as a tube rectified power supply just adds to the cost.  Frankly, I don't think that most consumers know about, or care about how a tube amp is rectifier.

We were also puzzled by the crossover distortion on what was supposed to be a Class A amp.  In theory the reason to implement Class A is to eliminate crossover distortion altogether.  Because the amp was so badly biased, my friend did not try to figure out what the intention of the original design was.  He just set it up in Class A with the "hybrid" power supply (since there is no way to do full tube rectification without a center tap).  He says it sounds extremely good now though.  The good thing about Cayin is that it is point-to-point wired so that the fixes can be easily done.

Thanks to gguy, tonyt, and jojo for following up on this.  I think that Cayin will have an "interesting" time justifying what they have done.

Offline ptubeh

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #538 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 03:26 PM »
tonyt, one other thing.  What do you suppose that choke is doing in the center of the amp?  What purpose could it server?  My friend says that it was actually bypassed in my amp.  We were guessing that it was a choke filter, but that doesn't make sense with a SS power supply, does it?  or does it have some other function?

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #539 on: Feb 03, 2009 at 04:08 PM »
tonyt, one other thing.  What do you suppose that choke is doing in the center of the amp?  What purpose could it server?  My friend says that it was actually bypassed in my amp.  We were guessing that it was a choke filter, but that doesn't make sense with a SS power supply, does it?  or does it have some other function?

that does not concern me much, if it is connected after the bridge it can help a bit too...

i am sure the chinese designers are playing to the market, buyers, many of whome knows next to nothing about tube circuits, and distributors that likewise does not bother to know on a technical level about the products they sell.... :'( well couldn't blame them though.....

i am sure the decision to use the rectifier tube was the "myth" about tube rectifiers as better sounding than ss rects... they are just playing up to it....

fortunately, tube circuits are very easy to decipher, a look under the hood is all it takes to reveal its inner secrets....

tube amps are about output transformers....get it right and you have a winner of an amp....

it is not the tubes per se, but what you do with them...... :D
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2009 at 04:13 PM by TonyT »