Author Topic: PINOY FLICKS to see before you die  (Read 43184 times)

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: PINOY FLICKS to see before you die
« Reply #150 on: Sep 14, 2005 at 12:39 AM »
Garcia was great. His performance reminds me a bit of Marcello Mastroianni's exhausted filmmaker in 8 1/2

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #151 on: Sep 14, 2005 at 10:12 AM »
Daigdig ng mga Api

Long lost; and considered to be the Holy Grail of Philippine Film archiving and the best Filipino film ever made. Very few folks have seen it, including, I believe, Doy Del Mundo, Elwood Perez and Mel Chionglo. I know someone who chanced upon a 16mm copy years ago but due to some circumstances, it slipped away.

Will ever get to see this within my lifetime?
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2005 at 10:18 AM by RMN »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: Sep 14, 2005 at 12:23 PM »
Ah well. Even Teddy Co's never seen it, and he knows more about de Leon than anyone I know.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: Sep 14, 2005 at 04:43 PM »
Yeah, and to think he was very close to finding a copy. I wonder if Vic Delotavo has seen it.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Sep 14, 2005 at 08:57 PM »
Garcia was great. His performance reminds me a bit of Marcello Mastroianni's exhausted filmmaker in 8 1/2

He's the only one alive among the cast of PAGDATING SA DULO. The Manunuri finally noticed him after so many years. There's a classic line in PAGDATING spoken by Ms. Gomez to Subas Herrero which I noticed and will be repeated in some of Bernal flicks.

"Bakit ba ang bilis bilis mong magsalita?"

"Maikli ang buhay"!
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2005 at 09:40 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: Sep 15, 2005 at 04:17 AM »
Yeah, and to think he was very close to finding a copy.

Ever told you the details of that?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Sep 15, 2005 at 12:33 PM »

Did Bernal patterned Garcia's character to Mastroianni, Noel?  ??? And speaking of Eddie Garcia, he is proud up to now of his performance in Brocka's TUBOG SA GINTO.
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2005 at 12:35 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Sep 15, 2005 at 01:32 PM »
I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised. Bernal would appreciate something like 8 1/2, whereas Brocka would better respond to earlier Fellini like La Strada or I Vitelloni.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Sep 15, 2005 at 01:39 PM »
Ever told you the details of that?

Yup.  ;)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Sep 15, 2005 at 02:01 PM »
Yup.  ;)

Waaal, care to share the details?  >:(

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Sep 20, 2005 at 09:19 PM »
I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised. Bernal would appreciate something like 8 1/2, whereas Brocka would better respond to earlier Fellini like La Strada or I Vitelloni.

Two opposite styles....different visions. 
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2005 at 09:20 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: Sep 21, 2005 at 10:02 PM »
Bernal is the cultural sophisticate, Brocka the passionate romantic. Not that Brocka isn't cineliterate; he's been to festivals, he's seen films. But he chose to embody the dreams and struggles of the Filipino lower classes (at least in his best known, often most successful (artistically, I mean) works), while Bernal chose to focus on the Filipino middle class.

CRITIC AFTER DARK: A REVIEW OF PHILIPPINE CINEMA now available at Fully Booked, Powerplant Mall; CCP Bookstore; Datelines Bookstore, Cubao; and Booktopia, Libis, QC
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2005 at 10:03 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: Sep 22, 2005 at 11:30 AM »
Even on films the two have different sets of perspective. Those Bernal flicks that are set in the countryside are perhaps his answer to Brocka's struggle theme for the Filipino lower class. Bernal can't take away his bohemian personality on those films.
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2005 at 11:31 AM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Sep 23, 2005 at 04:53 AM »
Bernal's most famous 'countryside' film, Nunal sa Tubig, isn't really a countryside film, but an experimental narrative. On the other hand, I don't think Brocka could do experimental to save his life.

In simplistic terms, I'd say Bernal was more versatile and more adventurous, but in a narrow range, what Brocka could do well Bernal couldn't touch.
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2005 at 04:55 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Sep 23, 2005 at 01:48 PM »
I know this has been discussed many times, which would you prefer Noel, Bernal's MANILA BY NIGHT or Brocka's MAYNILA SA KUKO NG LIWANAG?

And how these two classics will come out if they swap directing it?
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2005 at 01:49 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Sep 23, 2005 at 02:15 PM »
I don't see either of them touching each others' scripts. Brocka rarely went into a multi-story, multi-character script like Manila By Night, dependent on shifts of tone and clashing scenes of horror, black comedy, and drama, some of it from late Fellini (maybe the one significant film Brocka did dealing with several storylines at once is Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang). Bernal, on the other hand, wouldn't go for something as straightforwardly sentimental as Maynila, with its innocent probinsyano and soiled angel of love (Ligaya Paraiso--the name still makes me grin). He probably couldn't muster the conviction, and he'd turn it into a parody of some kind. Kind of interesting thought, that, however.

I'd prefer Maynila. Bernal's look for Manila hasn't aged well--it looks actually like a clean, fun city to party in (it's the characters and their relationships that have retained their unholy power). Maynila, on the other hand, with a genius cinematographer like Mike de Leon working on it, still defines the look of the city in our--and the world's--imagination.

That said--there's something about O'Hara's Manila movies--Condemned, Bulaklak sa City Jail, Bakit Bughaw ang Langit?, and above all, the fantastic Bagong Hari. I wouldn't say any of these movies replace Maynila, but they offer an alternative and I'd say more complex view of the city than Brocka's. Plus the action scenes in Bagong Hari, for one, go beyond anything Brocka has done.
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2005 at 02:27 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Sep 23, 2005 at 08:15 PM »
BAGONG HARI is still on my wish lists, man. If only I could watch it, Brocka has done some action sequences on CAIN AT ABEL. I haven't seen any action flick from Bernal though.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: Sep 24, 2005 at 12:52 AM »
I've seen Brocka do action in Hot Property, Macho Dancer, Orapronobis, Gumapang Ka sa Lusak, among others. He doesn't have 'it' to do action. Directors good at action include Celso, Tikoy, Mario O, Gerry de Leon (of course) and--believe it or not, Lav Diaz.

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #168 on: Sep 25, 2005 at 12:28 AM »
I was at Fully Booked in Powerplant browsing through a book, 1001 Movies You Must See Before Your Die and saw Maynila: Sa Mga Kuko ng Liwanag (translated to Manila: In The Claws of Brightness) listed. To quote the opening:

"Lino Brocka's low-budget hit was a breakthrough for Filipino cinema and is still often regarded as the best Filipino film of all time..."

The short write-up was accompanied by a half-page screen cap of a close up of very young Bemol Roco staring blankly into space through bars

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Sep 25, 2005 at 10:39 AM »
Glad to see Maynila listed.

Wish the text was longer. It's not like we can use less substance and more pictures in our books, do we? And I know half a dozen people who'd love to do a more thorough writeup...

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Sep 25, 2005 at 05:45 PM »
Glad to see Maynila listed.

Wish the text was longer. It's not like we can use less substance and more pictures in our books, do we? And I know half a dozen people who'd love to do a more thorough writeup...

Actually that was just the 1st sentence... fortunately, I bought the book...  ;D here's the complete text....

Lino Brocka's low budget hit was a breakthrough for Filipino cinema and is still often regarded as the best Filipino film of all time. Julio (Bembol Roco), a poor fisherman from the country, comes to Manila to look for his lost love, Ligaya (Hilda Koronel). Working at a construction site, he encounters unfair labor practices, dangerous working conditions, and a range of attitudes and politics among his fellow workers. He also becomes involved with a male-prostitution ring. Finally, he finds that Ligaya has been recruited by a brothel. Julio's attempt to free her and himself from the hell of Manila ends in tragedy.

Manila: In the Claws of Brightness captures the harshness of urban poverty through an assaulting soundtrack in which industrial noises, traffic sounds, and crowd hubbub are prominent, the crudeness of the recording and mixing contributing to an overwhelming tension, not lessened by the faux-Ennio Morricone songs and synthesizer music. The images of urban entrapment and pain are sharply contrasted with intermittent flashbacks to the lovers' coastal idyll in a direct manner that demonstrates Brocka's commitment to melodrama. The surprisingly strong quotient of homoeroticism- heightened by clips from Nicholas Ray's King of Kings (1961), which the hero and heroine view in a movie theater- anticipates Brocka's later Macho Dancer (1988).

Whew! I was also happy seeing the movie in the book but sad also since it was the only Filipino film featured.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Sep 25, 2005 at 08:01 PM »
I was at Fully Booked in Powerplant browsing through a book, 1001 Movies You Must See Before Your Die and saw Maynila: Sa Mga Kuko ng Liwanag (translated to Manila: In The Claws of Brightness) listed. To quote the opening:

"Lino Brocka's low-budget hit was a breakthrough for Filipino cinema and is still often regarded as the best Filipino film of all time..."

The short write-up was accompanied by a half-page screen cap of a close up of very young Bemol Roco staring blankly into space through bars

Cool......jeckjeck.

Is it true that Brocka & Mike de Leon had a gap while making the movie? Mike had to re-cut some scenes from the movie and Lino was disgusted over that matter. De Leon's cinematography was stunning and captured vividly in MAYNILA.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Sep 26, 2005 at 06:43 AM »
Lino Brocka's low budget hit was a breakthrough for Filipino cinema and is still often regarded as the best Filipino film of all time. Julio (Bembol Roco), a poor fisherman from the country, comes to Manila to look for his lost love, Ligaya (Hilda Koronel). Working at a construction site, he encounters unfair labor practices, dangerous working conditions, and a range of attitudes and politics among his fellow workers. He also becomes involved with a male-prostitution ring. Finally, he finds that Ligaya has been recruited by a brothel. Julio's attempt to free her and himself from the hell of Manila ends in tragedy.

Manila: In the Claws of Brightness captures the harshness of urban poverty through an assaulting soundtrack in which industrial noises, traffic sounds, and crowd hubbub are prominent, the crudeness of the recording and mixing contributing to an overwhelming tension, not lessened by the faux-Ennio Morricone songs and synthesizer music. The images of urban entrapment and pain are sharply contrasted with intermittent flashbacks to the lovers' coastal idyll in a direct manner that demonstrates Brocka's commitment to melodrama. The surprisingly strong quotient of homoeroticism- heightened by clips from Nicholas Ray's King of Kings (1961), which the hero and heroine view in a movie theater- anticipates Brocka's later Macho Dancer (1988).

Nicely written but half of it was plot summary. I think the entry in Geoff Andrews' book "Film: The Critics' Choice," written by Tony Rayns, is more substantial (though again, makes a difference when someone who actually knows Philippine cinema writes on the film...).

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Sep 26, 2005 at 10:30 AM »
Cool......jeckjeck.

Is it true that Brocka & Mike de Leon had a gap while making the movie? Mike had to re-cut some scenes from the movie and Lino was disgusted over that matter. De Leon's cinematography was stunning and captured vividly in MAYNILA.

From what I heard--though I'm quite sure of the veracity of this story--Lino shot excessive gay scenes in the movie which wasn't part of the script. Apparently also, scenes in the provinces were also shot so Mike, as Producer, exercised his perogative and head them cut.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Sep 26, 2005 at 10:39 AM »
The gay scenes that did make it to the movie weren't part of the novel at all (don't know about the script). But Gino Dormiendo and I think someone else pointed out to me, and I tend to agree with em, that the gay prostitution scene is crucial--it reduces Julio to Ligaya's level, makes him understand or empathize with her situation more.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Sep 26, 2005 at 12:22 PM »
Nicely written but half of it was plot summary. I think the entry in Geoff Andrews' book "Film: The Critics' Choice," written by Tony Rayns, is more substantial (though again, makes a difference when someone who actually knows Philippine cinema writes on the film...).

I've seen Tony Rayns docu regarding Philippine Cinema of the 80's. Interesting personalities were interviewed like Brocka, Bernal during their heyday and Marilou Diaz Abaya. Very insightful & informative. Thanks to RMN & Teddy Co.
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2005 at 12:24 PM by keating »

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Sep 26, 2005 at 04:07 PM »
I've seen Tony Rayns docu regarding Philippine Cinema of the 80's. Interesting personalities were interviewed like Brocka, Bernal during their heyday and Marilou Diaz Abaya. Very insightful & informative. Thanks to RMN & Teddy Co.

keting... you know where I can get a copy of Maynila...? Any format will do...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: Sep 26, 2005 at 05:13 PM »
keting... you know where I can get a copy of Maynila...? Any format will do...

I have the vhs cable copy bro. I'll lend it to you.  :) You can check also the archive of Cinema One. They show it once in a while.
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2005 at 05:14 PM by keating »

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: Sep 26, 2005 at 05:16 PM »
Uy thanks keating! I'll contact you offline...

Pwede ko bang ipa-trasnfer to VCD or DVD format yung copy mo?  ;)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Jul 10, 2006 at 06:50 PM »
I'm down to four films this time. The ending of BATANG WEST SIDE is perhaps the most brilliant, beautiful, ending I ever saw in a Filipino film for a very long time! The close-up shot on Joel Torre's face wherein he pour out all his guilt and emotions........you gonna sympathize with his character..........the scattered snow before the closing credits.......and the musical score by Joey Ayala all jibe in to the atmosphere of the movie! The cast were all superb from Gloria Diaz, Priscilla Almeda, Yul Servo and the old man who played his grandfather. The script is realistic and truthful.

Lav Diaz is the only maverick and vanguard of indie filmmaking!

« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2006 at 05:22 PM by keating »