Author Topic: Branded Speaker Cables and Interconnects  (Read 23313 times)

Offline cool_change

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Branded Speaker Cables and Interconnects
« Reply #60 on: Apr 02, 2004 at 08:38 AM »
tara labs prism 5 is about 2,300 to 2,500 depending on store. try mo sa listening in style sa edsa shangri-la mall or sa upscale audio sa mega mall. good luck!

Offline kid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • Certified Kwela Boys
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Apr 02, 2004 at 08:56 AM »
nad c320 bee.. i'm using the tara labs as jumpers.

If you're using Tara labs as jumper, what interconnect are you using from cd player to amp?

Offline v0elker

• Collector
  • They say jump and you say how high
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Apr 02, 2004 at 09:42 AM »
thanks cool_change... medyo affordable din pala yang tara labs, ma-try nga one of these days... thanks!

tara labs prism 5 is about 2,300 to 2,500 depending on store. try mo sa listening in style sa edsa shangri-la mall or sa upscale audio sa mega mall. good luck!

Offline dm1179

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #63 on: Apr 05, 2004 at 12:04 AM »
where can i buy digital coax cable and digital optical cable to connect my dvd player audio out to my a/v receiver? what brands are best buys?  :)
...guaranteed to rock your world!

Offline Digities

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Apr 13, 2004 at 04:21 PM »

If you're using Tara labs as jumper, what interconnect are you using from cd player to amp?

hmm. a 6 meter i/c, brand is link. came from my old car audio setup. sounds fine naman. :)

Offline kid

• DVD Guru
  • Certified Kwela Boys
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Apr 13, 2004 at 06:17 PM »

hmm. a 6 meter i/c, brand is link. came from my old car audio setup. sounds fine naman. :)

I thought your using 2 pairs of Tara Labs as jumper and interconnect...

Offline Garp

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Re: Branded Speaker Cables and Interconnects
« Reply #66 on: Apr 14, 2004 at 04:36 PM »
Try XLO twinax IC. Only P1500. Not bad for the price. Rene stocks these I think.

Offline slayer

• Collector
  • Spread the Irie
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Apr 14, 2004 at 06:24 PM »
Nice indeed. ;D

Try XLO twinax IC. Only P1500. Not bad for the price. Rene stocks these I think.
Scratch my TT!!

Offline Bogsle

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Apr 29, 2004 at 01:30 AM »
Guys,

I'm new to branded cables.

Here is my stupid question, if you don't mind.

There is a printed arrow pointing to one direction on my IXOS interconnect cable. Does this arrow indicate the way I should connect it to my system (like one end should connect to the receiver while to other to the CD player) or should I just disregard this?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Bogsle

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Apr 29, 2004 at 02:15 AM »

IMO, ixos brand are more expensive and i dunno if it has a lot of difference in sound quality with other brands di pa ko nakkabili ng ixos eh mahal kc hehe. For me, i'll stick with audio pro IC. If budget permits i'll try other brands.

In my experience, there seems to be a difference.

I used Audio Pro interconnects between my CD player and receiver before. While searching the Internet for ways of improving my sound system I stumble upon this link for IXOS Gamma Audition II:

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=1030

I bought a pair from Park Square for PHP 3,900.00 and used it. My system now sounds much better.

Before I used to think all interconnects are the same. I guess I was proven wrong.

Thanks.

Bogle

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Apr 29, 2004 at 02:25 AM »

In my experience, there seems to be a difference.

I used Audio Pro interconnects between my CD player and receiver before. While searching the Internet for ways of improving my sound system I stumble upon this link for IXOS Gamma Audition II:

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=1030

I bought a pair from Park Square for PHP 3,900.00 and used it. My system now sounds much better.

Before I used to think all interconnects are the same. I guess I was proven wrong.

Thanks.

Bogle

Sorry po, let me make the correction on the price. It's 2:30 AM na, medyo antok na.

The price of IXOS Gamma Audition II is only PHP 2,900.00.

Thanks again.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Apr 29, 2004 at 01:07 PM »
This is the experience of many I've read on the net.  Not in my case, the Ixos optical cable I accidentally bought couldn't yield any audible difference with an ordinary toslink I got a year ago.

Audioholics.com said it best when they said, or words to this effect:  In most likelihood, new cables, whether branded or not,  yielded better sonics because the older cables exhibited higher reactances that was degrading the sound to begin with.

But good for you Bogsle that you got closer to your sonic nirvana with your new cables.  ;D   Don't let my irreverent views get in your way.
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2004 at 01:13 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline slayer

• Collector
  • Spread the Irie
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Apr 29, 2004 at 01:32 PM »
Dude,

The direction of the arrow should terminate on the output side.

CDP -> -> -> Preamp -> -> -> Receiver (take-off the preamp if you don't have them)

Guys,

I'm new to branded cables.

Here is my stupid question, if you don't mind.

There is a printed arrow pointing to one direction on my IXOS interconnect cable. Does this arrow indicate the way I should connect it to my system (like one end should connect to the receiver while to other to the CD player) or should I just disregard this?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Bogsle
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2004 at 01:33 PM by slayer »
Scratch my TT!!

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Apr 29, 2004 at 04:10 PM »
Bogsle,

bro, nice cable you got there. good thing you're now a believer of what a good interconnects and speaker cables can do to your audio system. like you, i was once a passive believer but when i tried experimenting with branded cables by borrowing from friends... my submissive belief turned into a realization of what was once a hearsay testimonial of the many cable nuts out there.

if you're gonna ask AV-phile on his opinion and comment on anything about cables.... i have to warn you.... he's not a believer...

;D ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2004 at 11:02 AM by audioslave »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Apr 29, 2004 at 04:43 PM »

if you're gonna ask AV-phile on his opinion and comment on anything about cables.... i have to warn you.... he's not a believer...

;D ;D

Confirmed, very true.   ;D  I actually use some.  But not for the reasons believers have.  he he  ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2004 at 04:45 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline kid

• DVD Guru
  • Certified Kwela Boys
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Apr 29, 2004 at 05:39 PM »
that's true audioslave, i myself experience that too. Before am just using puresonic speaker cable. I thought that once you buy a 14gauge regardless of  brands, the sound quality will be the same as other brands. But i was wrong, when i bought xlo speaker cable, tThere is a big difference in sound quality.

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Apr 29, 2004 at 06:14 PM »
Dude,

The direction of the arrow should terminate on the output side.

CDP -> -> -> Preamp -> -> -> Receiver (take-off the preamp if you don't have them)

Thanks for help, bro.

I hope you don't mind me asking this two more question:

Why do some cable makers do this, is there a special reason why we have to follow the direction of the arrows when installing them to our system?

Isn't it that the signal will flow just the same whichever end is connected to the CDP or Receiver?

Thanks in advance. I hope I could some learn more.

Bogsle

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Apr 29, 2004 at 06:31 PM »

Thanks for help, bro.

I hope you don't mind me asking this two more question:

Why do some cable makers do this, is there a special reason why we have to follow the direction of the arrows when installing them to our system?

Isn't it that the signal will flow just the same whichever end is connected to the CDP or Receiver?

Thanks in advance. I hope I could some learn more.

Bogsle

Technically correct.  But some branded cable manufacturers believe that their cables are directional and will sound best when connected this way rather than the other way.   Another snake oil for me.   ;D 
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2004 at 06:37 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Apr 29, 2004 at 06:39 PM »
This is the experience of many I've read on the net.  Not in my case, the Ixos optical cable I accidentally bought couldn't yield any audible difference with an ordinary toslink I got a year ago.

Audioholics.com said it best when they said, or words to this effect:  In most likelihood, new cables, whether branded or not,  yielded better sonics because the older cables exhibited higher reactances that was degrading the sound to begin with.

But good for you Bogsle that you got closer to your sonic nirvana with your new cables.  ;D   Don't let my irreverent views get in your way.

Hi av_phile1.

You may be right there with regards to to the sonics of older calbes. But how relatively old should the cables be for sound to start getting degraded? I got my audio pro interconnects a little over a month ago.

Maybe it's just me expecting that the new IXOS I got will sound much better.

However, my wife shares my opinion as well when I asked her what she thinks of the sound of our system. She asked why did I do, and I simply told her I just did something to the player. I never told her I bought the IXOS and replaced my interconnects (puslit ko lang yon from my salary, malaking away if she knew).

Maybe she was just trying to please me or something, kaya?

One more, I have two CDPs (well, actually the other one is a Pioneer DV355, DVD, CD, MP3 player) the other is a NAD. I experimented by using Puresonic on the Pioneer and IXOS on the NAD, and then interchanged the cables with the Pioneed using the IXOS and the NAD using Puresonic.

Result: It was obvious that in whichever player I used the IXOS on there was more depth and body to the sound that was being produced.

I was not a believer in branded interconnects, until today. I just used to buy thick coax from SM or Robinsons, and thought branded ones will just be the same and a waste of money.

Now, I see them as good investments.

Just sharing lang po.

Regards.

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Apr 29, 2004 at 07:11 PM »
Bogsle,

bro, nice cable you got there. good thing you're now a believer of what a good interconnects and speaker cables can do to your audio system. like you, i once was a passive believer but when i tried experimenting with branded cables by borrowing from friends... my submissive belief turned into a realization of what was once a hearsay testimonial of the many cable nuts out there.

;D ;D

Thanks sir. It's nice to know someone else shares that same thoughts about branded cables.

With regards to AV-phile, that's completely okay. Each of us will have our own say on different matters. Actually, I appreciate his comments. Because that way we could have a good converstation. Thanks also Mr. Av-Phile.

I've learned that by searching on the Internet, getting involved in forums like this, asking opinions of other users, etc. we are able to get the best choices of products.

We're aware na there might be other non-branded cables that are just as effective as the branded ones. It just so happens siguro that branded cables get more attention because of advertisements, and thus have more tech info and comments about them than non-branded ones.

I liked the info I got on the IXOS interconnects so I purchased it.

May correlation ksi yung technical and public information sa choices ng products, and it happens lang na mas maraming info about branded cables.

Haba na naman nito!

Opinion ko lang naman din to.

Thanks.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Apr 30, 2004 at 11:44 AM »
IXOS cables, some of it anyway, and others in their price ranges are not exactly my object of contempt and doubt when it comes to sonic promises from branded cables.  They are in fact one of the best constructed cables out there and their pricing do reveal a more reasonable marketing approach than many others.  Puresonic, Audiopro, Noble are likewise well-known brands and can be considered "branded" because of that.  Between them and Ixos, i'd probably get an Ixos that falls within my budget.  I do have some.  Not because of any advertised sonic superiority, but because, I like their robust and no-nonsense construction.

But beyond these cables, I really have to put my dirty feet forward.  I mean, I'd have to be deeply intoxicated in shabu to buy a 3 meter pair of cerullean RCA cables from Pure Note costing $1,500.00. :o  Even its online sale price of $600 won't get me queuing for one.  But who knows, maybe if I had a $10,000 CD player mated to a $20,000 amp, I might.  Binabagayan lang.  ;D

« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2004 at 06:07 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Apr 30, 2004 at 01:42 PM »
IXOS cables, some of it anyway, and others in their price ranges are not exactly my object of contempt and doubt when it comes to sonic promises from branded cables.  They are in fact one of the best constructed cables out there and their pricing do reveal a more reasonable marketing approach than many others.  Puresonic, Audiopro, Noble are likewise well-known brands and can be considered "branded" because of that.  Between them and Ixos, i'd probably get an Ixos that falls within my budget.  I do have some.  Not because of any advertised sonic superirity, but because, I like their robust and no-nonsense construction.

But beyond these cables, I really have to put my dirty feet forward.  I mean, I'd have to be deeply intoxicated in shabu to buy a 3 meter pair of cerullean RCA cables from Pure Note costing $1,500.00. :o  Even its online sale price of $600 won't get me cueing for one.  But who knows, maybe if I had a $10,000 CD player mated to a $20,000 amp, I might.  Binabagayan lang.  ;D

I'd have to agree with you on that.

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #82 on: Apr 30, 2004 at 09:39 PM »
uuuuhhh guys! where can i buy ecosse interconnects locally? pati na rin kimber kable?
i'm interested in "ecosse reference diva"

thanks in advance  :D
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Apr 30, 2004 at 10:47 PM »

Opinion ko lang naman din to.

and that is what matters most  :D
money is best spent

Offline ryn0128

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2004 at 12:29 AM »
you can buy kimber cable at audio visual driver in shangri-la.

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2004 at 06:57 AM »
For Ecosse interconnects, you can get them from Audioworld, Hyperaudio and WATT HI-FI.

:-*

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2004 at 02:17 PM »
just want to share this...

I just replace my CD player connection from digital coax(IXOS 105) to analog(QED Qunex2) hoping for some improvement to my system aside from my coax cable being 2M long. And used the 2M coax for my sub connection.

Medyo na improve yung sound ng sub naging firm and clear(IMHO) dont know kung dahil sa analog or sa coax cable ang dahilan.
Im using an AV receiver set 2 chn stereo mode and LF set to "both".

cheers

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2004 at 12:04 AM »
amigos ryn0128 and audiosslave, thanks a lot!
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline hurricayn

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2004 at 12:20 PM »
Ken, how's the QED Qunex2 performing? Where did you buy and how much? Napapaisip ako kung QED Qunex2 or VDH D102 MKiii IC. By the way, do audio shops offer to audition using branded IC's? Right now I'm still using DIY IC and need a lot of convincing to opt for QED, IXOS, or VDH IC as long as its b/w 1K -2.5K price range.

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2004 at 04:13 PM »
Hi hurrycayn,

Honestly nag improved yung sound but I'm really not sure kung dahil sa cable brand(Ixos105 to Qunex2) or sa type ng connection na ginamit ko(digital  to coax).  OCW kasi ako base dito sa Jeddah converted sa peso 1.5K. If I'm not mistaken Audio Den yata ang dealer ng Qunex product dyan sa atin, I saw some Qunex cables sa Araneta Avenue branch nila 2-3 wks ago, di rin ako sigurado sa mga models and prices nila...I think their tel. no. is posted somewhere dito sa forum.dito kasi bihira audio/video shop very limited ang selection and they rarely allow audioning their products aside from those items use on thier demo... hope this helps.