Author Topic: Branded Speaker Cables and Interconnects  (Read 23181 times)

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Branded Speaker Cables and Interconnects
« on: Oct 02, 2003 at 01:24 PM »
Anything and Everything about Branded Speaker Cables and Interconnects

Temporary Announcement:

Cable/Interconnects Comparison eb
Eyeball: Cable/Hardware Comparisons

Learn more about cables with free food and raffle

Offline doughn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • sleepyhead
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re:Branded Speaker Cables and Interconnects
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2003 at 05:02 PM »
sir levi,

galing nitong topic, sana wala ng intruder para we could talk re cables na ala cocontra ;D

branded good cables rules ;D
7.2.4 system
Focal
Marantz
Epson
SVS
Elitescreen
Velodyne
Xbox1S
Nvidia
Berkline
Logitech
QED
Kimb

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2003 at 11:09 PM »
I just followed the suggestion of one of our member.

Offline akyatbundok

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2003 at 03:16 PM »
guys, what's the best analog inteconnect for 1k/pair?  i need 3 for the 5.1 analog outputs of my dvd player.  the plugs i use in my DIY cables are too tight!  its so hard to connect & disconnect them i wanna cut them with a scissor.  also considering another 2 pairs for pure audio.

also, where can i buy them at a decent price?  i notice big discrepancies in price between stores.
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2003 at 03:29 PM by akyatbundok »

rtsy

« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2003 at 07:08 PM »
guys, what's the best analog inteconnect for 1k/pair?

There is no such thing, I'm sad to say.

Share your system, what you like and dislike about it, and the sound you hope to achieve.  Maybe you can be given more concrete help.

Offhand though, for that money, make sure you talk to Mozilla or ArnoldC at Pinoydiophiles.  The DIY stuff they make are worth more than what they cost.  :D

Offline allyson

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • PATIENCE is my prime VIRTUE
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2003 at 07:57 PM »
    To rtsy
     Im planning to have a designated CD player,my question is what kind of connection i will use to get the most out of it? is it through the analog or digital connection?

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2003 at 08:01 PM »
rtsy, actually i have 2 kinds of DIY interconnects.  I got 2 pairs from Superman that i like very much -- twisted silver with hi-quality plugs.  I use that for audio.  The other set (3 pairs) are the ones i want to replace.  They're quickie car audio interconnects that i had soldered for me when i first got a dvd player with built-in DTS decoder.  Bad choice on the RCA plugs, they're so tight you could almost carry the receiver with it.  I still want to use the 5.1 outs of my dvd player to enjoy dvd-A and sacd, but im not going to use those cables again.  My player isnt really hi-resolution (pioneer 733a) so i may not appreciate the benefits of more hi-end cable.

How about 2.5k/pair is there such a thing?  I could re-plug 2 pairs and then get a good branded one for the front channels.  I wonder how much are those Eichmann bullet plugs?

Offline marty_e

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2003 at 09:30 AM »
Im planning to have a designated CD player,my question is what kind of connection i will use to get the most out of it? is it through the analog or digital connection?

Hi, I'm not Rtsy but let me try. I assume you'll be running your new CD player through your AVR? Running your CD player through the digital out implies you're shifting the D-A conversion duties over to your amplification unit rather than the one built into the player. Unless I have an idea of what your player is and the amplification, It's hard for me to say which is better. I think it's worth the time and effort to try both connection methods and see what's more pleasing to your ears.

What you can do is connect your player's digital out to the AVR's DVD digital in temporarily and the analog out to the analog CD player in and compare by shifting the the input selector of your AVR.
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2003 at 10:53 AM by ganjaman »

rtsy

« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2003 at 09:39 AM »

It depends...

If you have an outboard DAC, try out the digital (i.e., use your CDP as a transport).  Some CD players have both optical and electrical digital out.  Try both if your DAC can take either connection.

After trying the digital, try also the analog and see which sounds better to you.

If you do not have an outboard DAC, you don't have a choice but to use the analog out.

rtsy

« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2003 at 09:43 AM »
My player isnt really hi-resolution (pioneer 733a) so i may not appreciate the benefits of more hi-end cable.

How about 2.5k/pair is there such a thing?  I could re-plug 2 pairs and then get a good branded one for the front channels.  I wonder how much are those Eichmann bullet plugs?

Pioneer DVD players aren't known for their internal DACs but they are known as excellent performing transports!  Try a better digital I/C like those from Eichman or Ecosse.  Till now, I use an Ixos 105 between by DVD player and AVR.

Check out the buy & sell section of http://www.pinoydiophiles.com/ .  I think I saw a couple of van den Huls there for sale recently.

Also visit Hyperaudio for cables.

Contact ArnoldC or Hyperaudio for Eichman bullet plugs.

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2003 at 01:06 PM »
thanks rtsy, will contact them for info.

how about silver strands with eichmann bullet plugs?  that would be a (1) branded, (2) generic and (3) DIY cable!

Offline allyson

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • PATIENCE is my prime VIRTUE
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2003 at 04:20 PM »
   To ganjaman
    Youre right,i'll be running CD player(wala pa kong CD player,nag iipon pa lang ako ng pambile ;D)through my AVR.What i have in mind rgarding CD player are follwing features like HDCD,24Bit,BurrBrown DAC just to name a few.I will try the shifting between analog and digital to my DVD player and let me hear which is better for me.TNX :D

To rtsy
    I dont have an outboard DAC,pardon my ignorance sir ???ito po ba yung MF A32 upsampling,tama po ba ako?If it is,I maybe jumping to a conclusion,just a CD player lang muna po tayo sir.Anyway thanks for the swift response sir and iwill follow your suggestion :)

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2003 at 12:36 AM »
I hope you were able to attend the Oct 11 eb. Dami kong natutunan and of course I got to meet new members. A lot of cables were tried especially for interconnects. There were different ratings but the eb was not held to rate cables but to see if there are audible differences and I can say there is ( common consensus ). Its not even the size because like the kimber and the Audience which are both very thin performed very well. IMO cable matching is dependent on the setup. Some cable will work well for some system but will perform bad on other setup. During the speaker cable test (although mukhang nag set-in na rin ang pagod ), it was a close fight and even the audio pro performed very well.  If we have more time sana we can also transfer the setup sa kabilang room. Anyway maybe on the next eb naman.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2003 at 07:30 AM »
Guess it shows that it is not the price of the cable that dictates performance.   But rather the matching of audio equipments and speakers with the cables your using.

I think that was proven in the speaker cable/interconnect EB.....

Offline obey

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2003 at 10:33 AM »
What stores (sa may ortigas area sana) carry audio pro speaker cables?  Anong gauge ang maganda and how much per meter?  Thanks!

Offline pro3

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Surround in Motion
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2003 at 02:51 PM »
can we post here prices of branded speaker cables and interconnects and where we purchased them.  Or should  that be a thread on its own..  was just wondering where and how much others got their branded cables. thanks  :)

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Oct 13, 2003 at 07:12 AM »
malaki ang discrepancy ng prices sa mga stores.  sa park square i saw one store selling ixos 105 for 3.9k... sa megamall naman one store is selling it for 2.4k.  price difference of P1500!!

rtsy

« Reply #17 on: Oct 13, 2003 at 10:26 AM »
I dont have an outboard DAC,pardon my ignorance sir ???ito po ba yung MF A32 upsampling,tama po ba ako?

Yes, the MF A324 is a popular outboard DAC.  Lots of people like it.  Lots don't.  You gotta hear it for yourself.

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Oct 13, 2003 at 03:58 PM »
The sonic subtleties I heard among 3 diffferent interconnects( DIY and branded)  during the final tests last 11 OCt indicated to me that while there are differences, they weren't as dramatic as i would expect from articles and ads that claim so.  And that DIY interconnects can approximate exotic and expensive ones without losing an arm and a leg.  

But i still believe na binbagayan lang yung cables with the gears.  Binabagayan in terms of cost.  I mean if you have a $10,000 CD transport and another $10,000 DAC, what is a mere pair of $300 digital interconnect and another $500 coax to connect it to another $10,000 pre-amp?  But  maybe using the same cables to connect a Kebao DVD player to a Pioneer entry level receiver  is stretching its promise a bit far.  Just my 2 cents.

rtsy

« Reply #19 on: Oct 13, 2003 at 05:08 PM »
The sonic subtleties I heard among 3 diffferent interconnects( DIY and branded)  during the final tests last 11 OCt indicated to me that while there are differences, they weren't as dramatic as i would expect from articles and ads that claim so.  

And that DIY interconnects can approximate exotic and expensive ones without losing an arm and a leg.  

But i still believe na binbagayan lang yung cables with the gears.

Agree, av_phile, on all 3 counts!

What system was used in the cable EB?  Some systems and rooms are not as revealing as others when changing from one cable to the next.  Heck, some listeners, too!  :D

As with all audio, matching (and proper set-up) are key.

Offline Digities

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2003 at 10:43 PM »
mayroon ba ako makukuha na magandang interconnect na nasa 5 meter length ? i need something to connect my pc to my amp, i wanna achieve a fuller sound. thanks  :D

Offline losi_phile

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2004 at 04:10 PM »
New player on speaker cables :

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_1/river-cable-flexygy-speaker-cables-1-2004.html

Maganda yung style ng banana plug niya.

Offline dni

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2004 at 07:50 AM »

Offline indridcold

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Feb 19, 2004 at 09:30 PM »
Thanks for the link. Very informative. ;)

Offline jael

• Collector
  • Still trying hard...
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Feb 22, 2004 at 03:27 PM »

please suggest a short, branded DVD component connection that has a ceiling price of a Php 1000.00

is puresonic a good brand? cause one is available in harrison plaza (forgot the name of the HT shop) for Php 9xx.xx

thanks!
Be without fear in the face of your enemies

Offline Audioboy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • "That's a matter of opinion, decide yourself"
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2004 at 05:01 PM »
got the same brand at image harrison plaza. i say its a good brand for component cable. :)

Offline kid

• DVD Guru
  • Certified Kwela Boys
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Mar 01, 2004 at 10:21 AM »
If you're looking for a good audio cable, i would recommend Audio Pro analog interconnector for fuller sound quality. I got mine for P350 1.5m at Landmark (made/assembled in virginia, usa).

Offline [slayer]

• Collector
  • Upgrade is Inevitable!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Mar 03, 2004 at 02:20 PM »
Bro,

San sa landmark yan?

If you're looking for a good audio cable, i would recommend Audio Pro analog interconnector for fuller sound quality. I got mine for P350 1.5m at Landmark (made/assembled in virginia, usa).

Offline onedown

• DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Mar 03, 2004 at 02:31 PM »
[slayer], expect a pm. will be sending you one after i post this.
peace man!

Offline [slayer]

• Collector
  • Upgrade is Inevitable!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Mar 03, 2004 at 03:47 PM »
Thanks! ;D