Author Topic: Need Help: Building New HT System™  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Toolbox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Toolbox™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need Help: Building New HT System™
« on: Mar 08, 2005 at 11:35 AM »
Thanks for checking in.

I am little by little gaining more and more interest in personal home theatre and I need a little bit of help getting my system put together.  I would ask the guys at the shop where they sell all of these things but more often than not, they just try and sell me anything so they can make their buck.

I already have a Denon Amplifier and the 5 Piece Speaker System that my friend gave to me.  They comprise of the following speakers:

2 Wharfedale Diamond 8.4
2 Wharfedale WH-2 Surrounds
1 Wharfedale WH-2 Center

What I need now is a good, resilient DVD Player that's the same color of the amplifier which is gold.  I've got a number of pirated DVD's that I'd still like to see when I want to.

Here's the tough one:

I need a good active subwoofer.  I do listen to music and watch DVD's so I'd like the sub to be versatile for both uses.  I do, however, watch movies more often.  I'd like the sub to be a 12" though.  I don't know why, but that seems like a good size for me.  My bedroom, where I will be installing the system is shown below.

Please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong or where I can make improvements.  I don't know how high to install the surround speakers and whether to put them in Position A or Position B which are shown in the diagram below.

Please also note that I do not know anything about home theatre.  All I know is I want a fairly priced set for now.  When I become more interested, I'll go higher up the ladder but for now, this system, I think will suffice.

My budget for the subwoofer and DVD player is Php. 35,000.  I will most likely but my equipment in Park Square, Makati because that is closest to my house.

Thanks for all the help guys. :)

Offline mcbry

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • TRuSt YoUr eArS!!!
  • Liked:
Re: Need Help: Building New HT System™
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2005 at 11:58 AM »
bro, for the subwoofer i suggest you audition velodyne cht10 or cht10r... this sub is really great in movies and good as well in music...  try to audition at architectural audio at greenbelt 1.

Offline marty_e

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2005 at 12:05 PM »
Where is your seating position relative to Position A or B? I suggest you try to place your surrounds 3 to 4 feet above your listening position in the B position rather than in the back wall facing you. Use an SPL meter after and make sure you're getting the same sound levels from all 5(or.1) should you opt for a Sub. Like the guy says - have a look at Architectural Audio in the old Greenebelt where Ferragamo used to be. Seek advise there, look for Epoy or Nico...
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2005 at 02:01 PM by marty_e »

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2005 at 12:37 PM »
If you can, place the bi-polar surrounds on the side walls but behind your listening position--bi-polars tend to sound best this way and not at thge rear wall. If not possible, position B would be better.

Offline d00dZ

• Collector
  • Wazzzzzap?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2005 at 05:26 PM »
i suggest you get the powercube 12A (150 watts, 12" driver, P10,500 at spectra park square). this is what i use with my diamond 9s, but this is the subwoofer made specifically to match your diamond 8s.

i believe position A would be better for your bipolars, since you can have some of the sound bouncing off your side walls. you may have a better surround effect with this as compared to putting them dead at the corners.

as sir gaol suggested, placing them on the side walls may also be worth your while. baliktad naman dito, you'll have some of the sound bounce off your rear wall for that add'l surround effect.

i read somewhere that bipolars work best at the sides in a 5.1 system. however, if you have future plans for 7.1, direct radiating side surrounds combined with bipolar rear surrounds is said to be the best.

hope this helps.  ;)
BenQPB6100
YamRXV650 7.1
PhiDVP692K
WhaD9(.4/.CS/.SR)
WhaPcub

Offline Toolbox

• Apprentice
  • Toolbox™
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2005 at 11:10 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys.  I will go to Park Square tomorrow and check out as many subwoofers as possible to see what will last me a long time because this is something I don't intend on changing soon.

Does anyone think it is worth it to get a really good subwoofer?  I mean, should I spend a little bit more money on it?  Maybe get Klipsch or Miller & Kreisel and spend a good Php. 60 - 70,000 on it or will the cheaper subs suffice?  This will be my very first subwoofer so I'd like it to last and sound great.  The advantage here is since I can't tell a good one from a bad one, I guess any will do right?  But based on your own personal opinions, how much do you think I should spend?

I will put the surrounds in Position B about 1.2 Meters away from the rear wall.  I don't think I will utilize a 7.1 speakers system soon so I think this will do for now.

Now, what's a good DVD player that'll read even the worse discs.  I have a two year old son that scratches all the DVD's in the house so I'm looking for a player that's as good as a Plextor CD-ROM Drive if there are any that exist.

I have many more questions but I'll wait for these to be answered first.  And again, thank you all so very much for your time and effort.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2005 at 11:54 PM »
Get a REL or a Velodyne

Offline mcbry

• DVD Addict
  • TRuSt YoUr eArS!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2005 at 09:25 AM »
REL and Velodyne are available at architectural audio (greenbelt 1)... bro Toolbox, better to audition all the subwoofer para you'll be able to hear which sub is best for you... as what you've said, you want to have a sub that will last for a long time... kaya dapat get the best sub na... velodyne cht10 nasa P23k+... rel q150 is think (correct me if i'm wrong) nasa P55k+...
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2005 at 11:52 AM by mcbry »

Offline mcbry

• DVD Addict
  • TRuSt YoUr eArS!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2005 at 09:43 AM »
btw, for the dvd player try to audition pioneer dv676a or harman kardon dvd31.

happy auditioning,
 :)

Offline Reefshark

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Ride on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2005 at 11:22 AM »
Hey Toolbox,

As they said a REL or a Velodyne would be a good bet and while your auditioning for a sub you might as well check out a better center speaker as the WH2 center is really meant to be used as a rear center speaker.  You could go to Spectra (park square 1) and ask Jim for some help on this.

Ciao,
Reefshark  (Jay Z.)

p.s. Iniaki?

Offline soundtrip

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 25, 2006 at 01:46 PM »
bro, for the subwoofer i suggest you audition velodyne cht10 or cht10r... this sub is really great in movies and good as well in music...  try to audition at architectural audio at greenbelt 1.

bro,
mgkano tong velodyne n 2?
and ano specs nia?
:)