Author Topic: Asian DVDs  (Read 71679 times)

Offline xage

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Asian DVDs
« Reply #210 on: Mar 15, 2003 at 02:03 PM »
The Eye... :)

Cool to know! My advise, never mind the special features.. ( FOCUS on the film!!)
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline ThePatriot

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #211 on: Mar 16, 2003 at 12:13 AM »
The Eye... :)

Cool to know! My advise, never mind the special features.. ( FOCUS on the film!!)

thanks for the tip bro! :) :) :)

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #212 on: Mar 17, 2003 at 01:29 PM »
just watched JSA and Shiri... cool movies... liked JSA more...

Offline GL2814

• Collector
  • In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night...
  • Liked:
« Reply #213 on: Mar 25, 2003 at 06:11 AM »
I bought one from eBay with the following specs:
BRAND NEW & SEALED
Official Released by Mei Ah Laser Disc Co Ltd.
JAPAN 1963
NTSC FORMAT
All zoned / Region 0 edition - may be played in ANY country!
Dolby Digital
Screen Format: Full Screen
Running Time: 142 minutes
Language: JAPANESE
Subtitles (removable): ENGLISH / Chinese (Traditional) / Chinese (Simplified)

I was quite disappointed when I viewed it as the subtitleing requires lots of hardwork for your brain as the English may have been literally translated.  Plus the names of the characters have been changed from the original to Chinese names.  (eg Jun became Chun)

Are these bootleg Discs?  The case did not come with a booklet or card.

Picture and sound quality are passable.  Its just the subtitleing that makes me want to return it.

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #214 on: Mar 25, 2003 at 01:06 PM »
what movie did u buy?

I bought one from eBay with the following specs:
BRAND NEW & SEALED
Official Released by Mei Ah Laser Disc Co Ltd.
JAPAN 1963
NTSC FORMAT
All zoned / Region 0 edition - may be played in ANY country!
Dolby Digital
Screen Format: Full Screen
Running Time: 142 minutes
Language: JAPANESE
Subtitles (removable): ENGLISH / Chinese (Traditional) / Chinese (Simplified)

I was quite disappointed when I viewed it as the subtitleing requires lots of hardwork for your brain as the English may have been literally translated.  Plus the names of the characters have been changed from the original to Chinese names.  (eg Jun became Chun)

Are these bootleg Discs?  The case did not come with a booklet or card.

Picture and sound quality are passable.  Its just the subtitleing that makes me want to return it.

Offline GL2814

• Collector
  • In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night...
  • Liked:
« Reply #215 on: Mar 25, 2003 at 06:34 PM »
sgc_wdi: actually I got 5 Kurosawa DVDs    High and Low, Stray Dog, The Bad Sleep Well, Sanshiro Sugata and The Lower Depths.

H&L and BSW are Double Sided Discs. I have to flip them over to get to the second part of the movie.  I only opened H&L and was disappointed with what I got.

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #216 on: Mar 27, 2003 at 04:22 PM »
beware of bootlegs from Ebay :) but if it's from Mei Ah, it's not a bootleg

Offline downtown

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #217 on: Mar 27, 2003 at 07:32 PM »
I enjoyed Ping Pong immensely, which is more than i can say of Shaolin Soccer, i just don't like Stephen Chow anymore. I can't comment on how it compares to Shaolin soccer since i have not once finished viewing it only glimpses on Star.
Ping Pong is more of a Japanese stlye comedy like Waterboys.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #218 on: Mar 28, 2003 at 07:04 AM »
Hey Xage,

Maybe you can recommend some "nice" Hsu Chi films to me. The ones where she actually starred and not just to support some action star. A category III rating will be much appreciated. he-he.

Recently, I aquired a Mei-Ah release of her most seductive role ever, Sex & Zen II.

The great thing about this DVD is that Mei-Ah did pretty well in its film transfer and even improved their product with its widescreen presentation.

Highly recommended fro hunters of Shu Qi's old roles in the HK's Category III circuit

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #219 on: Mar 28, 2003 at 11:36 AM »
Recent Mei Ah releases are actually quite good... most are in anamorphic transfer and dolby digital 5.1... they are also trying to add extras little by little, which is a good step from those previous releases that are in letterbox format and only has trailers

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #220 on: Apr 05, 2003 at 09:45 PM »
INFERNAL AFFAIRS

Synopsis[/b]

YAN (Tony Leung Chiu-wai) is an undercover cop in the triads, recruited before he graduated from the police academy. A decade of hard work has planted him deep in the largest triad in Hong Kong. MING (Andy Lau) is a mole in the police force, assigned by his triad boss to become a cop when he was barely eighteen. With the exclusive intelligence on his triad rivals, Ming has been promoted swiftly to head the Criminal Intelligence Bureau. Both men are feeling increasingly trapped in the inferno between good and evil: they are merely shadows with no identities.

I. The Video

Anyway the first disc which holds the film itself boasted its crisp ANAMORPHIC Widescreen (Definitely enhanced for 16x9 TVs)  presentation. If it is MEGASTAR HK DVD got to say GET IT! They present the finest quality Asian DVD Video. A Flawless viewing satisfaction.

My common statement now to MEGASTAR DVDs << Quote me on this..

10/10

II. The Sound

First of all dont expect roaring Gun Shots but be preapared with superb musical scores!

The DVD comes with four outstanding selectable Audio Tracks

1. Cantonese Dolby Digital 5.1
2. Cantonese DTS 5.1
3. Mandarin Dolby Digital 5.1
5. Commentary track by Cast & Crew in Dolby Digital 2.0

10/10

III. Special Features

As Usual, Megastar's 2nd DVD always packed with tons of features:

1. Movie's Story (Synopsis)
2. Confidential File (Film's Outakes & International Trailer)
3. Music Video (Cantonese & Mandarin Version)
4. Making of the film ( full 16min feature and 4 different presentation feature)
5. Trailers (TV Teaser & Full Movie Trailer)
6. Cast & Credits
7. Photo Gallery (Over 20 Posters, Lobby Stills & Others)

Unfortunately all behind the scenes related feature have no English subtitle so it fell shy to my perfect rating

9/10

IV. My short note

Whats great about this DVD is not only you enjoy completing the film but also have the opportunity to see the other ending which was only shown in Mainland China.

I would not dealt anymore on the film's plot. But I say the musical score did its excellent job in presenting the drama that unfolds..

V. Overall Recommendation

While it is fresh, Get It! And have enough ample time to see the film that would be remade in Hollywood.

Megastar did another A+ for this DVD and its a sure KEEPER!

10/10

Oh... I forgot, the EASTER EGG.. On the Second Disc, just choose the Infernal Affairs Title at left side and enjoy numerous Outtakes of the film

Offline Grandpoobah

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Mwahaha- talo kayo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #221 on: Jun 24, 2003 at 07:39 PM »
I just saw Tsui Hark's Vampire Hunters on VCD rented from Video City. All I can say is: Blech.

-crude fight scenes
-crude CG
-lame looking villain
-there are times you can't make out what's happening during a fight
-mababaw na story

depressing for a Tsui Hark release coming from what he did on Time and Tide.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #222 on: Jul 31, 2003 at 07:00 AM »
Well Rei, sad to hear that

Im drooling right now to get my wish DVD on the recently released Media Asia Film calle "The Twins Effect" oh its a vampire asian film.

And being in HK last month Im pretty much guilty to myself not getting two special limited edition released of both the EYE and Infernal Affairs... I spent my money kasi buyin action films and CAT 3 Asian DVD

Soon, I will be posting my review on

1. Full Time Killer
2. Hard Boiled (Re-released w/ DTS mei-ah version)

Offline idunno

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #223 on: Jul 31, 2003 at 01:28 PM »
Anyone here a fan of Zhang YiMou films (aside from Hero)? How's the DVD releases of those films such as Raise the Red Lantern, Red Sorghum, etc. ?

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #224 on: Aug 27, 2003 at 06:46 AM »
On A Man Called hero

Yes, I suggest if you intend to buy, try getting the newly released double disc DVD with DTS sound and Unrated. The recent one (Which I have) is a single disc with DD 5.1 sound only but descent enought to be a jam packed DVD.

I just found out that the said DTS, uncut DVD was only released in Korea. HK itself did not produced it and only sticked to the DD 5.1 edition

Offline himura

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • D'oh!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #225 on: Sep 16, 2003 at 04:43 PM »
Has anybody heard of the film Versus? It's supposed to be a Japanese-made film that's a cross between The Matrix and Evil Dead. I read a few reviews of it and it supposedly has a lot of gunfights, martial arts and sword fights.

Has anybopdy seen it na who can give their opinions? Planning to get the R1 DVd kasi - takot ko lang baka sayang pera ko eh..

Thanks!! :)

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #226 on: Sep 23, 2003 at 02:34 PM »
I just watched Colour of the Truth, with an all star cast, Lau Ching Wan, Anthony Wong, Jordan Chan, and Francis Ng.... it's pretty ok....

Also watched The Twins Effect, the story was pretty lame, but fun to watch if you have nothing to do and enjoy popcorn films...

Offline AJ

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #227 on: Sep 28, 2003 at 09:16 AM »
if you want to get more information on HK film stars and their movies, i suggest you visit:

http://lovehkfilm.com

for movies released by Mei Ah, visit:

http://www.meiah.com
http://www.hongkongmovie.com

i find these sites useful, most especially the lovehkfilm as i am able to find out more about the film's stars and there are also very useful reviews on recently released films.   ;)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #228 on: Oct 01, 2003 at 01:44 PM »
i really enjoy watching asian ACTION films such as the hero, so close, shaolin soccer ... i cant remember the other one ::) they got superb video and sound effects, kahit umaasa lang tayo sa subtitles para maintindihan i still find it good kasi it really give good test for our HT.

are there other asian action films that may be added to my list?--- thnks

Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #229 on: Oct 08, 2003 at 03:15 AM »
1993 film but still recommended, if you haven't seen it or don't have it already :

« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2003 at 03:18 AM by benny »

Offline downtown

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #230 on: Oct 08, 2003 at 10:55 AM »
Just bought the ff. but have'nt watched any of them yet

Twins Effect
PTU (Johnnie To)
Take Care of My Cat (Korean Film)
Musa

Offline Johnny

• Apprentice
  • shinji mimura
  • Liked:
« Reply #231 on: Dec 24, 2003 at 05:22 PM »
can anyone please give us an update on what to lok forward to re asian dvds :)

Offline Johnny

• Apprentice
  • shinji mimura
  • Liked:
« Reply #232 on: Feb 20, 2004 at 05:18 AM »
if i had the infos, i would update this thread...

guys who have infos pls update us!!!! tnx!

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #233 on: Feb 20, 2004 at 12:23 PM »
well, Infernal Affairs 2 and 3 are out... Also, I thought Running on Karma was pretty good, it's out already as well... I've also been watching a couple of Korean films....

what other Asian films have you guys been watching lately?

Offline crezi_munky

• Collector
  • I lived to watch you all die!
  • Liked:
« Reply #234 on: Mar 24, 2004 at 05:29 PM »
i wish i have the audition dvd!

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #235 on: Mar 25, 2004 at 07:33 AM »
Visitor Q

DVD produced by Media-Blasters and under their Tokyo Shock Line-Up

Under Region1

Synopsis

A failed former television reporter (the father of the family), tries to mount a documentary about brutality, bullying, and sex among youths (this idea comes to him after he is raped on camera, with his own microphone, by a gang of teen punks). He begins this documentary by interviewing his runaway prostitute daughter, but, in the process of his interview, ends up having sex with her. At home, his wife is regularly beaten by their son, so she turns to drugs to ease her pain. The son is bullied by kids at school, who shoot fireworks into is room at night and during the day beat him up every chance they get. Into their amazingly disfunctional home comes the strange mysterious “Visitor Q”. When the overwrought, delirious father inadvertently kills a young female tv executive he was trying to sell his idea, their lives spiral into even more bizarre territory... and somehow, the more depraved it gets, the more it unites them together.

I. The Video

Its full screen, standard format, as intended since it was shot on Digital Video

7/10

II. The Sound

Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Japanese language with optional white English subtitles.

7/10

III. Special Features

1. Takashi Miike bio in moving text
2. Liner Notes
3. Trailers
   - Samurai Fiction
   - Freeze Me   
   - Fudoh
   - Visitor Q
4. 12 chapter selection

7/10

IV. My short note

It should be noted that although unrated/uncut this edition does have minor optical blurring of pubic hair, which is common in Japanese exports.

It took me 2years to obtain probably the best copy so far of this classic Miike masterpiece. Bought it at a high price of $30 at Virgin Megastore but its all payed off once I saw it.. All I can.. SUPERB!

V. Overall Recommendation

This is a film definitely not for everyone. Don’t say you weren’t warned... An offensively interesting movie from one of the new wave of offbeat filmmakers.

Forget the technicalities as how I perceived and rated it, but check the content on how this film was presented

7/10 - Only for die hard Miike Collectors
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2004 at 07:48 AM by xage »

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #236 on: Mar 25, 2004 at 07:50 AM »
i really enjoy watching asian ACTION films such as the hero, so close, shaolin soccer ... i cant remember the other one ::) they got superb video and sound effects, kahit umaasa lang tayo sa subtitles para maintindihan i still find it good kasi it really give good test for our HT.

are there other asian action films that may be added to my list?--- thnks

Check the earlier part of this thread and the infos on other Asian DVDs. Those you mentioned were confined in HK only, there are more better and entertaining Films from our neighboring Countires that can provide such

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
Re: Asian DVDs
« Reply #237 on: Nov 21, 2004 at 02:41 AM »
Do anyone of you aquire this DVD box set?

THREE EXTREME?

Applause Picture's project Three proved so successful, the second project Three...Extremes once again teamed up creative talents from three different Asian countries. All three short films from these countries are linked by a single common theme: the ugliness of human nature, the horrors of what human obsession can lead to, and this evil in human is far more horrifying than any ghosts and demons that might walk the earth. Hong Kong's Dumplings, Korea's Cut and Japan's Box all deal with these themes that will send a fearful shiver down your spine.

First Extreme: Box
Japan's horror master Miike Takashi, who has directed obscure bloody and disturbing features such as Audition and Ichi The Killer helms Box, and stars popular Japanese actress Hasegawa Kyoko. In the story, Kyoko, the older of the twin sisters, suffers from recurring nightmares about an accident in the circus she worked in at the age of 10 that led to the death of her younger twin. This short does not contain the trademark bloodshed one expects from a Miike film, yet its depiction of jealous sisters trying to win the love of their father is genuinely disturbing. The ending is as unexpected as it is shocking!

Second Extreme: Dumplings
Hong Kong's premier quirky independent filmmaker Fruit Chan returns to the mainstream in this production yet never compromises his unique vision in this film. This is Miriam Yeung's first film in the horror genre, and she abandons her usual goofy persona to appear as a depressed, aging ex-starlet. This is also Bai Ling's first Hong Kong film, with a screenplay by famed local author Lillian Lee and cinematography by Christopher Doyle! This story discusses ex-starlet Ching Ching (Yeung), in hope to regain the love of her cheating husband (Tony Leung Kar-Fei), begins to visit Mei (Bai), who makes extremely rejuvenating dumplings from the most nutritious ingredient of all, unborn fetuses. The ending of this version differs from the extended feature length version...how is it different? Well, you'll have to be shocked yourself!

Third Extreme: Cut
Directed by Old Boy's Park Chan-wuk, it stars Korean star Lee Byung-Hun in a dark horror with a hint of outrageous comedy. Lee Byung-Hun stars a a famous director who is suddenly kidnapped one day, and is suddenly thrown into a completely helpless situation, with his wife's fingers heading into the blender....one by one...Park's stunning visual set-up and haunting soundscape pushes the horror to its ultimate extreme. It is an open challenge to the bravery of the audience. Can you endure it?
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2004 at 02:43 AM by xage »

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #238 on: Dec 21, 2004 at 02:46 AM »
Yo, Xage!
I heard from a DVD supplier that a region 1 Shaolin Soccer might be released. Any mews kung totoo ito? Thanks.

Sorry for the very very late response :o more than 2 years.. but I have to precise reasoning before posting my answers

Yes, its already released in R1

Attached is the specs of the said DVD from AMAZON

Amazon.com Shoalin Soccer R1

« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2004 at 02:47 AM by xage »

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
Re: Asian DVDs
« Reply #239 on: Jul 10, 2005 at 02:24 AM »
:o Reading back to the topic I started.. Now A Days.. its seems that the evolution of Asian DVDs was fast...

Now a days... The pioneer of Limited Edition/Unique Packaging/Stylish Packaging Comes from Asia Countries such as

Hong Kong/Korea/Japan

add Philippines to it now that they started with "Troy LE"