Author Topic: Speaker Modification / Upgrade  (Read 78386 times)

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Speaker Modification / Upgrade
« Reply #150 on: Mar 12, 2008 at 10:39 PM »
^^^ bro you can audition my mundorfed AE tom pag nag meet tayo... ;D

Offline blackd70s

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Animo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: Mar 12, 2008 at 10:44 PM »
^^^ bro you can audition my mundorfed AE tom pag nag meet tayo... ;D

whoa! thanks bro!
[[IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj298/blackd70s/EagleArc

Offline jpeg

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • I don't care what you think...
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: Mar 13, 2008 at 11:49 AM »
Anybody know where I could get Mills / Wirewound resistors?

Thanks.
Rega DAC, SVS MBS 01,  Bada DC-222, B&W 705/HTM7, Denon 3300

Offline blackd70s

• DVD Guru
  • Animo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: Mar 15, 2008 at 12:49 AM »
Had it done at Audio Amplified. Price list for caps is at their website. Plus service fee if you ask them to do it for you.  :)

Jason

bro! i will visit audio amp tom, do you mind saying how much did you pay for the mundorfed m cap upgrade for your 601's? i have the same speaker.. thanks! 0917 8110969
[[IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj298/blackd70s/EagleArc

Offline jpeg

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 10:28 AM »
Did you change the caps already? How about internal wirings? What did you use?

Jason

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #155 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 11:48 AM »
Good am

Does anyone have the internal wiring diagram of the Wharfedale diamond 9.5 floorstander? I am planning to upgrade the internal wiring and would need the diagram to estimate the length of the wiring needed.   Kindly email it to [email protected].

Thanks and regards,

JoeyGS

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 11:52 AM »
actually you don't need to change the internal wirings if its good enough.... on my AE they saw the wirings and said its ok not to replace them.  ;D

Offline gearhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 01:51 PM »
Does anyone have the internal wiring diagram of the Wharfedale diamond 9.5 floorstander? I am planning to upgrade the internal wiring and would need the diagram to estimate the length of the wiring needed.   Kindly email it to [email protected].

they seem good enough for me, but who can stop you in trying to squeeze the most from your system? here's a pic of the 9.5 innards:

more here: http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=42614.msg726233#msg726233

i could say 1 meter per run is the average length of the internal wirings. just have to cut the extra lengths though.
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 03:45 PM »
Thanks gearhead and ctlim for your advises and comments.  I was thinking that the wires and the caps would be the next step in tweaking the 9.5s.  The first tweak I did was to add a super tweater to augment the highs being produced by the silk dome tweeter.  With the super tweeter the highs of the 9.5 was extended without being harsh.  Actually the highs became sweeter and details were added.  Likewise, there was also an improvement on the mids and lows.  The lows being tighter and more focused.  BTW I am using the 9.5 in pure stereo mode, that is why I had to find a way to improve the highs as the 9.5 is laid back and being a British speaker.  Todate, with out the wire and cap upgrade yet,  i am enjoying the additional highend details (w/o fatigue) and a more focus and tight base.

Gearhead,

When you said 1 meter per run, that would be 5 meters as there are 5 wire colors?

Thanks and regards,

JoeyGS

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Mar 19, 2008 at 09:42 AM »
Gearhead,

When you said 1 meter per run, that would be 5 meters as there are 5 wire colors?

Thanks and regards,

JoeyGS

yes... thereabouts. tamang-tama lang, since if you buy your wires naman 1m would be the minimum.
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline allan1836

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Mar 19, 2008 at 01:17 PM »
Thanks gearhead and ctlim for your advises and comments.  I was thinking that the wires and the caps would be the next step in tweaking the 9.5s.  The first tweak I did was to add a super tweater to augment the highs being produced by the silk dome tweeter.  With the super tweeter the highs of the 9.5 was extended without being harsh.  Actually the highs became sweeter and details were added.  Likewise, there was also an improvement on the mids and lows.  The lows being tighter and more focused.  BTW I am using the 9.5 in pure stereo mode, that is why I had to find a way to improve the highs as the 9.5 is laid back and being a British speaker.  Todate, with out the wire and cap upgrade yet,  i am enjoying the additional highend details (w/o fatigue) and a more focus and tight base.

Gearhead,

Thanks and regards,

JoeyGS

May we know what tweeters you used for the super highs.  ::) I might try it with my 9.1's, though , as is, I find it musical already.  ;D

Also, anybody actually tried mondorf caps on their diamonds? Please give a short review of before and after. Tnx  :) 

Offline edwin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • My day is not complete without music
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: Mar 20, 2008 at 08:28 AM »
i was told that upgrading the caps (ie: mundorf) also requires a number of hours of break in? ( that i found to be too long )

do they really need to be broken in? kahit broken in na naman ang drivers???

Any component, kahit na iyong internal cables, need some time to break-in. Thats just me as i based it from numerous experiences.
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2008 at 08:35 AM by edwin »
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline edwin

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: Mar 20, 2008 at 08:33 AM »
Anybody with experience in changing the xover resistors? Would just like to ask if there would be improvements in changing the resistors in the xover. If there would be, could you give me an idea on what I could expect? What resistor brand would you suggest? Where could I get it?

Am using a B&W 601s3. Changed the caps to mundorf supreme with great results. Going to change the internal wires soon. Thought of changing the resistors as well when I open it up. ;D

Hope someone could help.

Jason

Changing the resistors to better type (mills wirewound or mundorf resistors) will make the sound more free flowing, hindi sakal. Make sure though that you get the correct wattage as using a lower value might damage your speakers.
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline edwin

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Mar 20, 2008 at 08:39 AM »

Gearhead,

Thanks and regards,

JoeyGS

Just open up the speaker to see the length needed for the internal cables.

If you intend to change both the internal cables and caps, then include changing the resistors. They will not cost a bomb and you could get a substantial improvement.

Any upgrade component you need, don't hesitate to ask as I may be able to provide it to you.

Happy tweaking.
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline jpeg

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Mar 20, 2008 at 06:26 PM »
Changing the resistors to better type (mills wirewound or mundorf resistors) will make the sound more free flowing, hindi sakal. Make sure though that you get the correct wattage as using a lower value might damage your speakers.

Thanks sir. Do you have an idea how much it would cost? Could you PM me prices on the resistors, hook up wires and IEC plug for DIY powercord? I have a spare Hospital grade plug and would like to utilize it. Please quote me on a meter of powercord as well. :)

Thanks.

Jason

Offline edwin

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Mar 20, 2008 at 10:04 PM »
Thanks sir. Do you have an idea how much it would cost? Could you PM me prices on the resistors, hook up wires and IEC plug for DIY powercord? I have a spare Hospital grade plug and would like to utilize it. Please quote me on a meter of powercord as well. :)

Thanks.

Jason

Itemize the list you need. If cables, in meters and if caps or resistors, what are the exact values.
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Mar 21, 2008 at 01:18 AM »
May we know what tweeters you used for the super highs.  ::) I might try it with my 9.1's, though , as is, I find it musical already.  ;D

Also, anybody actually tried mondorf caps on their diamonds? Please give a short review of before and after. Tnx  :) 

A jbl titanium tweeter was used.  I had diy_master do the entire assembly (tweeter, crossover and stand)

Offline edwin

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: Aug 01, 2008 at 12:25 PM »
I just upgraded my newly acquired speakers, the QLN Signature series. I had replaced all the cheap resistors to Mundorf metal oxide resistors, the tweeter caps to Obbligato Premium caps and all internal wires to Neotech UPOCC.

With the resistor change, the music coming out of the speakers become more free flowing (hindi na sakal). Now it has a lot better dynamics. The caps upgrade made the sound more detailed but with refinement, walang harshness. The soundstage had increased and the separation of instruments had improved.

Total cost of this upgrade was roughly around S$200, and it was really worth it.

Using Scanspeak MidBass Drivers

Using Seas Tweeters

Inside the cabinet with the stuffing.

The crossover inside the cabinet

The original crossover

The upgraded crossover

The speakers now making music at my set-up
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Sep 05, 2009 at 01:46 AM »
finally was able to tweak my diamond 9.5 too. i already have the red audiophiler
6.8uf/400V 3% tweeter cap to replace the electrolytic close to the 1R5 resistor,
but i wasn't ready for how hard it took me to do just the 4.7uf electrolytic caps.

i tried to do the operation with all the wires still attached so had trouble replacing
the capacitors. i will try to do the operation outside the cabinet by removing all or
most of the connecting wires first. here's the partially modified crossover.

cost for the 4 polypropylene caps from raon is P1k more or less. bought them there
quite a long time ago. but for those truly wanting to make the most of this speaker
might go with the mundorf, clarity, ampohm or audicap instead. for us on a budget,
these affordable polypropylenes are truly bang-for-the-buck already.

the original crossover:

my one regret was not remembering to photograph the underside. otherwise i could
have drawn the complete schematic for this crossover network.
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2009 at 04:56 PM by gearhead000 »
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Online zedric

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Sep 05, 2009 at 08:59 AM »
very nice sir gearhead!!!

what i really miss with the 9.5 is the slam, parang mas tight ang bass niya compared to the 9.6 which i'm using right now, kaya was also very interested with the upcoming 10.5 and or 10.7  ;D haven't had the nerve to open my 9.6 to see the xover.

keep us updated! sana you could also tweak na the midrange caps.

i presume lumakas yun loudness ng highs, not necessarily the entension?

yun1R5 resistor para saan?

wala bang caps for the bass?

if ever i would be changing the caps, important na same yun "uf" rating? how about the "V" rating?

thanks!

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Sep 05, 2009 at 09:29 AM »
we both have the 9.5 and 9.6 din.... and i've always said the 9.5 to have more slam for movies. when i was listening to cd's, the 9.6 appeared to have the slight advantage in terms of musicality w/c i attribute to the dome midrange nga. still i was more on movies then, and the 9.5 complements my 9.cs well so my brother got the 9.6.

but when i tested it again with my turntable, the 9.5 had clearly the advantage in terms of soundstage, cohesion and openness. the 9.6 hasn't been used for a while so i'm not sure if it has something to do with it sounding a bit confused. there's too much midrange, a little of the highs, and timid bass. the complexities of it being a four-way design sort of had become its liability. not saying it's that bad, just saying i like the 9.5 better. they say the 9.1 is the best of the diamonds, but i wouldn't wanna lose the 9.5's bass... i will miss it.

keep us updated! sana you could also tweak na the midrange caps.

yun1R5 resistor para saan?  wala bang caps for the bass?

if ever i would be changing the caps, important na same yun "uf" rating? how about the "V" rating?

thanks!

just to clarify, there are only two capacitors. the tweeter cap is 6.8uf (the crossover to the tweeter is i think 2.2khz). for the midrange, the value is 4.7uf. both of them are 400v since that's the only one available - can't find nothing between the original 50v and hopefully 100v-250v. even sa mundorf, 400v and 600v din kaya ang lalaki ng sizes.

i really feel that the drivers can deliver much more, that's why i said also that there's probably more to be had by changing most of the components. if we can change the resistors to non-inductive films and the coils to air cores (like from sir edwin's QLN speakers above), that will truly unleash this speaker's potentials.
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2009 at 05:01 PM by gearhead000 »

Online zedric

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Sep 05, 2009 at 09:46 AM »
what would be the difference with

using a 3.3uf instead of a 4.7uf?
using 400-600V instead of 50V?

ano use ng 1R5 resistor?

thanks uli!

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #172 on: Sep 05, 2009 at 10:06 AM »
what would be the difference with

using a 3.3uf instead of a 4.7uf?

Your crossover frequency will change.  Say your woofer originally operates from 20 hz to 1200 hz, pwede maging 20 hz to 1000 hz na lang.  Then your midrange will work from 1200 hz above.. mag kaka hole yung frequency response, or pwede mag overlap magiging 20 hz to 1400 hz.. double naman ang 1200 to 1400 hz mo

using 400-600V instead of 50V? .  The higher voltage caps will be able to handle more power. No change to fr response.  If i am not mistaken a voltage of 250 volts is already enough for most speakers.

ano use ng 1R5 resistor?

thanks uli!

Online zedric

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Sep 05, 2009 at 10:12 AM »
thanks qguy!  :)

bigla lang akong napa isip mag tweak  ;D  ;D  ;D

Online zedric

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Sep 05, 2009 at 11:15 AM »
how do you burn in the caps?

gearhead,
 i think you mentioned in your other post that you placed it in a 110v transformer? having burned-in prior to installation, was the changes immediate? parang i read somewhere na 100hours or so para lumabas true potential ng mundorf ata or any caps for that matter

if ever pala i would change the caps of my 9.6, basta wag baguhin yun specs ng "uf", thanks for the enlightenment!  ;D

Online zedric

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Sep 05, 2009 at 12:09 PM »
qguy thanks for reply!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Sep 05, 2009 at 12:21 PM »
how do you burn in the caps?

gearhead,

i think you mentioned in your other post that you placed it in a 110v transformer? having burned-in prior to installation, was the changes immediate? parang i read somewhere na 100hours or so para lumabas true potential ng mundorf ata or any caps for that matter.

yes, i just connected them to the 110v output of my transformer. 220v might be too much kasi. left them there for about two days. since continuous high level signal naman, even 24 hrs siguro me difference na. yung 100 hrs kasi pertains to when you use the cap straight to the speakers. alam mo naman music eh transient in nature and low-level lang compared to our ac line voltage. using 110v as break-in signal, make sure lang din that your capacitor working voltage is rated at 170v or higher.

be careful too that you place them somewhere na di magiging electrical hazard siya esp. sa mga bata. also, be careful about shorting anything... even after removing the caps from the x'former. let the charge drain first for a few hours.
« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2009 at 12:28 PM by gearhead000 »

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #177 on: Sep 19, 2009 at 12:17 AM »
congrats sa tweaks/mods!!!

ok ang red/audiophiler caps sa eleshop.

meron din kay mang gerry - aerovox oilcap 2uf at wima polypropylene 4.7uf.
for me mas maganda na, mas mura pa ;D

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: Sep 19, 2009 at 12:39 AM »
yup. saan naman yung ke mang gerry?  ;)

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #179 on: Sep 19, 2009 at 09:06 AM »
yup. saan naman yung ke mang gerry?  ;)

txt.call 09217430558 or call 4002762

other cap values meron din just ask him what available, very accomodating naman siya
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2009 at 09:08 AM by ojof00l »