Author Topic: Speaker Modification / Upgrade  (Read 78425 times)

Offline Jagner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Speaker Modification / Upgrade
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2007 at 10:28 AM »
Thanks.  i also heard theres a store at divisoria which sells these materials.  i just dont know where exactly.
Anyway, im planning to change the dampening material inside an old bottom ported speakers i have.  It sounds fine but im quite concerned with the possibility that it may be spewing asbestos around the house.  It was manufactured prior to asbestos being a health hazard kasi. Im not sure if the sonic character would be altered if a newer material is used though.   Was asbestos an issue with older speakers you have?  TIA

You could replace the dampening material but make sure that the weight of the replacement material will be the same as the original material. 

Offline Trauma

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2007 at 10:12 PM »
Hey that seems to be a great idea !

Now if only someone could tell me where to get mundorfs.     

Offline macmac09

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • newbie forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2007 at 01:01 AM »
contact audioamplified for the mundorfs

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2007 at 05:47 AM »
Hi Edwin,

on the loudspeakers x-over , i see several capacitors, Why was that particular capacitor replaced ? is there a rule of thumb in replacing capacitors ?

thanks

These is what I did to my speaker. Replaced the cheap I/C brand polypropylene cap to Mundorf Supreme and change the inetrnal wiring to PCOOC solid core wire. The outcome was a more open, cleaner, clearer open window to the music.

By the way I played around with the quantity of the internal dampening material to balance the bass output. This is to eliminate any boom and make the bass more rythmic and articulate.

This is very simple, you just need to be able to handle the soldering iron ;).

Offline edwin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • My day is not complete without music
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2007 at 07:53 AM »
Hi Edwin,

on the loudspeakers x-over , i see several capacitors, Why was that particular capacitor replaced ? is there a rule of thumb in replacing capacitors ?

thanks

Hi,

The most cost effective way is just to change the capacitor connected to the tweeter which I did. The rest of the other caps are for the mid drivers. Replacing those caps can also be good but the improvement will not be substantial compared to the tweeter caps. Also, you need to spend more on the mid bass caps becuase they will have a much higher value.

You might not believe the improvement you will get. Clearer and cleaner highs with a lot of snap. Now all the speakers I buy, I do this upgrade.

I hope this helps.

Edwin
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2007 at 08:36 AM »
thanks for the info, will follow this route too... as I was also thinking of  doing the same thing, but did not know where to start as there are numerous caps in the x-over.

Hi,

The most cost effective way is just to change the capacitor connected to the tweeter which I did. The rest of the other caps are for the mid drivers. Replacing those caps can also be good but the improvement will not be substantial compared to the tweeter caps. Also, you need to spend more on the mid bass caps becuase they will have a much higher value.

You might not believe the improvement you will get. Clearer and cleaner highs with a lot of snap. Now all the speakers I buy, I do this upgrade.

I hope this helps.

Edwin

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2007 at 03:23 PM »
Hi,

I hope this helps.

Edwin

Yes,i have tried it before. In my case, replaced a vintage speaker tweeter non polarized electrolytic capacitor to polypropylene caps.
Read it also somewhere.
Big improvements, clean, crispy highs... The mid-hi seems to improve too as per my observation...
Just change the first tweeter cap. whatever the crossover is...
Pag maluwag, will try in my other speakers...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007 at 02:36 PM by dana »

Offline edwin

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2007 at 06:58 PM »
thanks for the info, will follow this route too... as I was also thinking of  doing the same thing, but did not know where to start as there are numerous caps in the x-over.

The cap with the smallest value will be the one connected to your tweeter. You could trace the circuit to verify by seeing where is this cap leading to.
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline edwin

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2007 at 07:15 PM »
Would you know of anyone who can upgrade the caps?  Thanks for the posts, Edwin.  Singapore ka pala based.

dyan sa Pinas, you could try Hypertriode. Or you could post for help for somebody into DIY who could help you.

Yes I'm based here in Singapore. Kung nandito ka lang, pwede kitang tulungan. The best if you could take some pics of your crossover and from there maybe I could see what cap to replace.
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline Jagner

• Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2007 at 07:53 PM »
Since you guys would be tweaking your crossovers, suggest that you replace the internal wires connecting the tweeters.  Edwin already mentioned this, but a cheaper alternative would be to use a braided CAT 5 for the tweeters.  Try replacing the wires of the woofer as well with a copper wire one size bigger than the one installed.  :)

Offline edwin

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2007 at 09:08 PM »
Here is another of my speaker last time, the Totem Model 1 ( a %^$#@ good speaker ) showing the inside. This is already using a good polypropylene caps, Solen, but after changing it to Mundorf Supreme, it was a different story. The one I replaced is the one on the left with 2 pcs of polysterene bypass.

If you could find these speakers, you have to try them. They are just great. They are of the same league as the Dynaudio Contour 1.1 (which I am selling ;D ;D ;D,. Sorry for the plug-in ;D ;D ;D, but it is just true).

LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline edwin

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Jun 12, 2007 at 02:43 PM »
Nice! :)

Decided to open the speakers i have here for some mod.  As per the suggestions in this thread, want to change the non polarized tweeter capacitor (2.5 is the value) and upgrade the wires.  Id want to ask if theres a good replacement for the capacitor available locally with the same 2.5 value?  Also want to ask what wires to use for the low, mid, and tweeters (such as the braided cat 5 and pcooc solid copper wire) and where it can be purchased?

TIA.

For your tweeter caps, use the mundorf supreme from audio amplified. Cheaper will be the mundorf M-caps. You couls use mundorf internal wirings also available at audio amplified.

LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline Jagner

• Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Jun 25, 2007 at 01:18 PM »
Yup, you can use either rugby or double sided tape to fasten the dampening material.

Where do you plan to place the dashield?  you have a picture to show that?

Offline qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Jun 26, 2007 at 06:10 AM »
I would avoid using rugby as some damping material might melt. Go with the double sided tape

Offline arnellspt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Aug 06, 2007 at 02:36 PM »
Hi there,

I read this post a month ago. I had my crossover caps replaced to Mundorf supreme last Saturday. Listened to it the next day. Found the highs to be a lot less. Expected it to be clean and crisp. But I believe the highs became a bit too shy. The mids seem to over power the highs. :-[ Would just like to ask those who have done this mod. Will the highs get better after break in? ??? What improvements could I expect after break in?

Jason

Offline edwin

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Aug 06, 2007 at 08:35 PM »
Hi there,

I read this post a month ago. I had my crossover caps replaced to Mundorf supreme last Saturday. Listened to it the next day. Found the highs to be a lot less. Expected it to be clean and crisp. But I believe the highs became a bit too shy. The mids seem to over power the highs. :-[ Would just like to ask those who have done this mod. Will the highs get better after break in? ??? What improvements could I expect after break in?

Jason

You have to be patient with the Mundorf. It will sound dead/lifeless during the break-in timing and you need at least 100 hrs. Once you reach over this mark, you might not be able to remove the grin on your face on the improvement you will get.
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Aug 07, 2007 at 08:05 AM »
I read this post a month ago. I had my crossover caps replaced to Mundorf supreme last Saturday. Listened to it the next day. Found the highs to be a lot less. Expected it to be clean and crisp. But I believe the highs became a bit too shy. The mids seem to over power the highs.  Would just like to ask those who have done this mod. Will the highs get better after break in?  What improvements could I expect after break in?

did you replace the original cap with exactly the same value mundorf? if the original is say 4.7 and then you replaced with 2.2ufd, then it is possible there will be slight attenauation of the highs...

anyway give it some more time, pag nasanay na tenga mo, then you might say nagimprove na yung sounds mo.... ;D ;D ;D

malay mo, you will be able to acquire those "golden ears" ;D ;D

speaker mods should produce tangible result from start go....otherwise, you can always go back to what it was previously...

the biggest joy of being able to DIY is to "come up with something out of your own hands", mahirap matapatan ng monetary value yan.....

besides, our individual differences, prevents us from having duplicate experiences, otherwise that would be boring. ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2007 at 08:21 AM by TonyT »
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline jpeg

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • I don't care what you think...
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Aug 07, 2007 at 10:53 AM »
You have to be patient with the Mundorf. It will sound dead/lifeless during the break-in timing and you need at least 100 hrs. Once you reach over this mark, you might not be able to remove the grin on your face on the improvement you will get.

Thanks for the advise.  :D At least you confirmed that it sounds a bit dull when new. I was already disappointed on the outcome when I heard it. It's a lot more detailed and clear though.

By the way, I'm the one who changed the caps. I wasn't aware that my friend was the one logged in at that time. ;D

Looking forward to the changes...
Rega DAC, SVS MBS 01,  Bada DC-222, B&W 705/HTM7, Denon 3300

Offline jpeg

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Aug 07, 2007 at 11:07 AM »
did you replace the original cap with exactly the same value mundorf? if the original is say 4.7 and then you replaced with 2.2ufd, then it is possible there will be slight attenauation of the highs...

anyway give it some more time, pag nasanay na tenga mo, then you might say nagimprove na yung sounds mo.... ;D ;D ;D

malay mo, you will be able to acquire those "golden ears" ;D ;D

speaker mods should produce tangible result from start go....otherwise, you can always go back to what it was previously...

the biggest joy of being able to DIY is to "come up with something out of your own hands", mahirap matapatan ng monetary value yan.....

besides, our individual differences, prevents us from having duplicate experiences, otherwise that would be boring. ;D

Hi :D

Yes sir, I replaced it with the same value. I believe the sound got cleaner and clearer. Just hope it gets better.(more to my taste) ;D Otherwise, I'll just have to get used to the sound and believe it got better like you said. ;D I guess I was looking for a warmer sound. I believe I got it.( Just a little bit too much ) ;D Just hope it becomes warm and not dull after 100-200 hours. :D

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #109 on: Aug 23, 2007 at 10:02 PM »
need advise on speaker modification. I have no idea actually. I use a yamaha ns-333 2-way bookshelf speaker, with 5"woofer, 6ohms,87db.should I modifiy it, will it improve the sound quality? where will I start? what would I modify?I already like the sound it produces driven by NAD amp/cdp combi, but if modification would improve it, why not?
thnx for your time, :D

Offline edwin

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Aug 24, 2007 at 09:06 PM »
need advise on speaker modification. I have no idea actually. I use a yamaha ns-333 2-way bookshelf speaker, with 5"woofer, 6ohms,87db.should I modifiy it, will it improve the sound quality? where will I start? what would I modify?I already like the sound it produces driven by NAD amp/cdp combi, but if modification would improve it, why not?
thnx for your time, :D

Are they your main speakers and for keeps. If yes then go ahead. Remember to plan your budget properly. You could go for the caps connected to the tweeters in series as they could bring the most improvement. Solen is the cheapest but the basic replacement you could use.
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline jpeg

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Aug 24, 2007 at 11:38 PM »

At last!!! 100+ hours later...  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Sir, can't remove the Grin on my face! ;D ;D ;D

Great detail and instrument separation! They're no longer bright but CRISP!

Would like to thank the guys in this forum for your posts.

Would also like to thank Sir Noel of Audio Amplified for being very accomodating.

Am really happy with the Mundorf Caps that I got from you.

Jason
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2007 at 01:00 PM by jpeg »

Offline edwin

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Aug 26, 2007 at 04:28 PM »
At last!!! 100+ hours later...  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Sir, can't remove the Grin on my face! ;D ;D ;D

Great detail and instrument separation! Their no longer bright but CRISP!

Would like to thank the guys in this forum for your posts.

Would also like to thank Sir Noel of Audio Amplified for being very accomodating.

Am really happy with the Mundorf Caps that I got from you.

Jason

I am quite happy that you had experience the same as I did. Next, mundorf upgrade on your equipments? ;)
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Aug 29, 2007 at 03:07 PM »
Edwin/tweaker friends,
I opened up my Yamaha speakers and saw the internal components inside. The capacitor is 4.7uf, the internal wiring of the woofer used is guage 16 monster cable, but there are no specs provided for the wiring of the tweeter(thinner maybe a guage 18).The (external)speaker cable I use is ecosse reference cs2.3. What brand of cap would you recommend I replace it with and also the tweeter wiring(what brand and guage)? also the specs of the solder to use? Im not inclined with electronics, siguro papagawa ko nalang.
your inputs will be highly appreciated! ;D
tnx!

Offline patchoy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Aug 29, 2007 at 08:57 PM »

Any one tried using magnetic wire for the  speaker internal wiring ? I'm thinking of experimenting on this material. Kindly post your comments/feed back on this.

TIA 

BUMP

Offline edwin

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Aug 29, 2007 at 10:01 PM »
Edwin/tweaker friends,
I opened up my Yamaha speakers and saw the internal components inside. The capacitor is 4.7uf, the internal wiring of the woofer used is guage 16 monster cable, but there are no specs provided for the wiring of the tweeter(thinner maybe a guage 18).The (external)speaker cable I use is ecosse reference cs2.3. What brand of cap would you recommend I replace it with and also the tweeter wiring(what brand and guage)? also the specs of the solder to use? Im not inclined with electronics, siguro papagawa ko nalang.
tnx!

Could you provide pics of the crossover? For internal cabling for the tweeters, you could use those high purity copper or silver hook-up wires. For my speaeker internal cable upgrade, i use the Neotech PCOCC for the woofer and Mundorf Silver wire for the tweeter.

The cheapest caps to use will be the Solen or at almost the same price, the Mundorf M-Cap. If you have a deeper pocket, you could use Auricap, Mundorf Supreme or Mundorf Silver in Oil.
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline edwin

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Aug 29, 2007 at 10:05 PM »
BUMP

If i'm not mistaken, the Speltz AntiCables are made from a thick gauge of magnet wire. So this could be a good choice.

http://www.anticables.com/testimonials.html

LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline patchoy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Aug 30, 2007 at 03:01 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, the Speltz AntiCables are made from a thick gauge of magnet wire. So this could be a good choice.

http://www.anticables.com/testimonials.html

salamat po sir Edwin

DIY
1. Bare copper wire (magnet wire) lower gauge bigger dia. better
2. Teflon Tape (gamit ng mga tubero).
3. Kitchen Aluminum Foil (pambalot ng tira-tira)
4. Ferrite (optional)
4. Shirk tube
5. Connectors
Now your ready..
Cut 4 wires at the same length (don't cut beyond 2.5m, the shorter
the better >2.5m problem with the capacitance and inductance). Tiyaga
lang ang kailangan. Twist the 2 wires and the same with the other 2.
Now you have right channel. Do d same for the other channel.
Now wrap with teflon tape (2 pasada). Cut the aluminum foil into
strips (0.5 inch) then wrap it on top of the teflon tape. Wrap again
with teflon tape on top of the aluminum foil (2x). We are doing this
to prevent RFI and EMF. Finish all the 4 wires. Done? Okay, next
shield it with shirk tubes (red for + black for -). After that, don't
twist the + and - wires (i did twist but the sound is better if not
twisted on my system, try what flavor your system wants). OK, now you
have a pair for left and right channel. Solder your connectors and
your done.. Breakin period 120hrs

Anyone tried this (DIY speaker cable) as replacement for internal wirings of speakers (from drivers to crossover)?

Salamat po...

« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2007 at 05:19 AM by joval »

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #118 on: Aug 30, 2007 at 10:23 AM »
Edwin/tweaker friends,
tnx!

change internal wiring to ecosse cs2.3; use mundorf supreme 4.7uf.

Offline vwbeetle

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 04:39 PM »
hello sirs

do you think the aurum cantus F5000r would benefit from the tweaks you mentioned (changing caps and internal wires).

thanks