Author Topic: Wharfedale speaker with nad receiver  (Read 3198 times)

Offline bodin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wharfedale speaker with nad receiver
« on: Aug 08, 2005 at 10:58 AM »
Good day.

Does anyone own a wharfedale diamond series 9 speaker  with nad receivers ? O kahit naka audition man lang? Pwede bang malaman how does it perform with movies and music? How is it compared with B&W dm 600series/nad receiver combo. Which do you think has more punch and detail.
Thanks.

Offline jcob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Wharfedale speaker with nad receiver
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2005 at 02:56 PM »
I think using a B&W 600 will give you more details, of course they're more expensive as compared with the diamonds. I use a NAD  receiver and Wharfedale D 8. It's good for movies, as for music, I'm wanting for more details and highs. I think the NAD is best paired with KLIPSCH or a MISSION speakers, maybe also good with B&W.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline bodin

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2005 at 09:46 AM »
I think using a B&W 600 will give you more details, of course they're more expensive as compared with the diamonds. I use a NAD  receiver and Wharfedale D 8. It's good for movies, as for music, I'm wanting for more details and highs. I think the NAD is best paired with KLIPSCH or a MISSION speakers, maybe also good with B&W.

Just my 2 cents.

I find my NAD T753 a  bass-shy receiver. It lacks punch, especially on movies where its needed most.  Which do you think among the ones mentioned above can give more punch down to say 60 hertz. I have a sub to handle  below 60.  Since the subs best position is closer to listening position than the front speakers,  I have to cross not higher than 60 hz so that localization is prevented.  I want the speakers to be bookshelf, at around 20K/pair. It will be use for 50/50 movie/music.
I watch action/ adventure/sci fi movies.   I listen to  rock, alternative, pop and the music of Yanni and Kenny G.

Thanks.

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2005 at 06:56 PM »
I find my NAD T753 a  bass-shy receiver. It lacks punch, especially on movies where its needed most.  Which do you think among the ones mentioned above can give more punch down to say 60 hertz. I have a sub to handle  below 60.  Since the subs best position is closer to listening position than the front speakers,  I have to cross not higher than 60 hz so that localization is prevented.  I want the speakers to be bookshelf, at around 20K/pair. It will be use for 50/50 movie/music.
I watch action/ adventure/sci fi movies.   I listen to  rock, alternative, pop and the music of Yanni and Kenny G.

Thanks.

Bodin,

Try to audition mission speaker have tried NAD + mission setup before got good result maybe due to NAD warmth sound and mission detail tweeter kaya na balance for HT and audio..

better bring your Amp when you audition this speaker. :)

Offline v0elker

• Collector
  • They say jump and you say how high
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 01:24 AM »
im using the older model T752 with some bookshelves and i find them anything but bass-shy, must be the matching with the speakers... but then again, the NADs sound more laid-back compared to the forward, in-your-face sound of other receivers and that might be perceived as being lacking in punch or slam.

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 02:14 AM »
nad's characteristic as an amp is laid back, so in movies it is perceived as lacking in punch. i've heard a 9.1 and 9.6 set up with a nad receiver and the sound is warm and not bass shy, however for movies they lack the sparkle as the highs of the diamond 9s are laid back, not really nice if you like action movies (but safer on the ears) but quite ok if you listen to music a lot.

Offline bodin

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 10:10 AM »
So guys, what do you think is best for my T753?  Something that could give balance performance in movies and music.  Maybe its better to give you referrence.  Im currently using B&W 600 front and B&WDM302 rear,  no center(switched off) at parang may kulang. Parang ang cymbals lack sparkle   at  yung upper bass ay parang kulang din.  Lalo na pag tone is defeated (i prefer defeated tone cause the sound is cleaner).  Any suggestions?  My room is 12x20x8 ft., tile flooring, wooden walls and ceiling.

TY

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 10:19 AM »
So guys, what do you think is best for my T753?  Something that could give balance performance in movies and music.  Maybe its better to give you referrence.  Im currently using B&W 600 front and B&WDM302 rear,  no center(switched off) at parang may kulang. Parang ang cymbals lack sparkle   at  yung upper bass ay parang kulang din.  Lalo na pag tone is defeated (i prefer defeated tone cause the sound is cleaner).  Any suggestions?  My room is 12x20x8 ft., tile flooring, wooden walls and ceiling.

TY

Do you use a sub? Are your fronts the DM600 (5" woofer) or some other model from the DM600 series? The DM600 doesn't go that low (75Hz).

Offline bodin

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 10:35 AM »
Do you use a sub? Are your fronts the DM600 (5" woofer) or some other model from the DM600 series? The DM600 doesn't go that low (75Hz).

Yes I have a sub. Yes it is the DM600s3 (5" woofer). Currently the system is crossed at 100hz.  And because no other place to  put the sub except being closer to listening position than the fronts, malalaman ko talaga nasan ito, which is quite bad.  Lalo na if I cross above 100 to compensate for the lack of punch.

Offline jcob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 01:25 PM »
Sir,

In my ears, the NAD and B&W combo is already good. Not perfect but good. If you want details I suggest you listen to the EPOS speakers, particularly the M5 and M12.2. I've heard it at Watt HiFi store in Makati Cinema square, and to me its very very good. You might like it too.

That's just me. Have a listen and you'll see what I mean.

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 921
« Reply #10 on: Aug 10, 2005 at 02:01 PM »
bodin

instead of ditching your current speakers you might just get away with re-orienting the subwoofer position and your front L&R channels.  move them closer to the walls and see if it makes a difference.

btw you got PM
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline bodin

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 11, 2005 at 10:31 AM »
Sir,

In my ears, the NAD and B&W combo is already good. Not perfect but good. If you want details I suggest you listen to the EPOS speakers, particularly the M5 and M12.2. I've heard it at Watt HiFi store in Makati Cinema square, and to me its very very good. You might like it too.

That's just me. Have a listen and you'll see what I mean.

jcob

may idea ka ba magkano tong epos m5? may corresponding center din ba to? magkano rin kaya?

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 11, 2005 at 12:46 PM »

TY

for a laid-back amp such as NAD, try audition speakers with metal dome tweeters - if you want sparkle in the highs for both music and movies. To improve the bass on the speakers, correct placement is critical (may affect mid/hi imaging), otherwise, use sub.
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline jcob

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 11, 2005 at 02:10 PM »
Sir,

I'm not sure what's the exact amount of the M5. If my memory serves me right it's about 38k. I don't know if there's a center speaker for this M series EPOS line. The EPOS ELS3 is about 18k and have a corresponding speaker ELS3C (I think), but its better to ask the store (WATT HIFI). For me this is already expensive but I really like it. Pag naka ipon might consider buying this.

Still this is just me and my personal preference, baka sa pandinig mo iba. Better to audition as many speakers as possible then make a decision. At least kung mahal man ang mapili mo, meron ka ng pinag iipunan.