Author Topic: JojoD's Tube and Solid State Projects  (Read 1130788 times)

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: JojoD's Website on his Tube Projects
« Reply #450 on: Feb 08, 2008 at 07:38 PM »
Doc J - streaming yung WAV from PC o saved sa mem stick ng PSP?
money is best spent

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #451 on: Feb 08, 2008 at 09:34 PM »
Wow ganda sir.  :)  Am sure that PSP now packs quite a wallop!  WAV file format is uncompressed naman right so is it safe to assume that the components you attached have enough 'bits' to work on to enhance the sonic details ?  (vs. working with a 'degraded' mp3 file).  TIA

yes it's uncompressed, I also use mp3 naman but with 320kbps. I heard that aac is better, I haven't had the time to research it though.  :(

I know that compression is still compression, but I would appreciate it if someone can point me to a better audio compression platform.

Doc J - streaming yung WAV from PC o saved sa mem stick ng PSP?

Pre, saved sa 8gb mem stick yun wav. On loan lang yun 8gb, I'm trying it out kasi 4gb lang yun sa akin and I read there are still issues with the 8gb re data corruption kaya audition ko muna.

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #452 on: Feb 08, 2008 at 11:51 PM »
yes it's uncompressed, I also use mp3 naman but with 320kbps. I heard that aac is better, I haven't had the time to research it though.  :(

I know that compression is still compression, but I would appreciate it if someone can point me to a better audio compression platform.

Pre, saved sa 8gb mem stick yun wav. On loan lang yun 8gb, I'm trying it out kasi 4gb lang yun sa akin and I read there are still issues with the 8gb re data corruption kaya audition ko muna.

AAC is pretty good and sounds better.  I've ripped almost all of my CD collection to 320kbps AAC.

My setup is:

1) Macbook - - - Apple Airport Express (wireless music server/Wifi/Print server) - - - Lite DAC-AH - - - AMX KT88 amp - - - Castle Richmond 3i
2) Pioneer DVD player  - - - AMX KT88 amp - - - Castle Richmond 3i

Some 320kbps files sound indistinguishable from CDs.  Of course, crappy CDs still sound crappy as well.

Of course, all equipment plugged into JojoD's line conditioner. . . :-)
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2008 at 11:54 PM by muypogi »

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #453 on: Feb 08, 2008 at 11:59 PM »
AAC is pretty good and sounds better.  I've ripped almost all of my CD collection to 320kbps AAC.

My setup is:

1) Macbook - - - Apple Airport Express (wireless music server/Wifi/Print server) - - - Lite DAC-AH - - - AMX KT88 amp - - - Castle Richmond 3i

Some 320kbps files sound indistinguishable from CDs.  Of course, crappy CDs still sound crappy as well.

Hi bro! What is your recommended software so that I can convert my wav files to aac?

Glad to hear the LC serves you well.  ;D

Thanks

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #454 on: Feb 09, 2008 at 07:30 AM »

Hi bro! What is your recommended software so that I can convert my wav files to aac?

Thanks

I use iTunes to convert to AAC.  It's a free download anyways, for both Windows and Macs.  I'd also recommend getting the Airport express. It's a bit expensive (P8k), but after you get used to the convenience of streaming your music wirelessly from your laptop, you'll never go back to wires again.

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #455 on: Feb 09, 2008 at 09:14 AM »

My setup is:

@muypogi

Thanks for the referral, very interesting this AAC. I quickly checked Wiki and it indeed likewise state that this format is conclusively better than mp3 especially when you're in the   192kb/s and below zone.  Quick excerpt below:

Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) is a standardized, lossy compression and encoding scheme for digital audio. Designed to be the successor of the MP3 format, AAC generally achieves better sound quality than MP3 at the same bitrate, particularly below 192 kbit/s.[1]

AAC's best known use is as the default audio format of Apple's iPhone, iPod, iTunes, and the format used for all iTunes Store audio (with extensions for proprietary digital rights management).

AAC is also the standard audio format for Sony’s PlayStation 3, Nintendo's Wii (with the Photo Channel 1.1 update installed for Wiis purchased before late 2007) and the MPEG-4 video standard. HE-AAC is part of digital radio standards like DAB+ and Digital Radio Mondiale.

<SOURCE>

@JojoD818
Wow didn't know you churn out LCs as well.  Can I request that you post or send me a pic of your LC?  Pa-pm na rin bro ng price natin.  ;)  TIA

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #456 on: Feb 09, 2008 at 10:25 AM »
I use iTunes to convert to AAC.  It's a free download anyways, for both Windows and Macs.  I'd also recommend getting the Airport express. It's a bit expensive (P8k), but after you get used to the convenience of streaming your music wirelessly from your laptop, you'll never go back to wires again.

I better download iTunes then and give it a try... my pc is going to be busy with a lot of conversion.  ;D

@JojoD818
Wow didn't know you churn out LCs as well.  Can I request that you post or send me a pic of your LC?  Pa-pm na rin bro ng price natin.  ;)  TIA

PM inbound. Thanks!

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #457 on: Feb 11, 2008 at 12:44 AM »

I better download iTunes then and give it a try... my pc is going to be busy with a lot of conversion.  ;D

Wise decision JojoD.  I have been using AAC since Ipod started and never looked back.  The 128kbps AAC is better that 196kbps of MP3 in my experience and AAC have smaller file size that MP3 at the same compression rate.  Itunes is also a very simple software which you can also easily organize your playlist.  Muypogi is right Itunes is free.

Enjoy

Regards,
JoeyGS

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #458 on: Feb 13, 2008 at 08:02 PM »
Been busy converting wave files to aac... more details for less memory space!  ;D

iTunes can convert for up to 256kbps, I tried 128kbps and it works fine for my ears... Just need to adjust to it's features though...  ::)

Can't wait to hear it with a Koss or a Senn... Oh please come to papa...  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for the help guys...

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #459 on: Feb 13, 2008 at 08:56 PM »
if you have space go for 320kbps na
money is best spent

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #460 on: Feb 13, 2008 at 10:07 PM »
if you have space go for 320kbps na

batch convertion naman kaya yun mga favorites lang naka 320kbps

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #461 on: Feb 13, 2008 at 10:15 PM »

batch convertion naman kaya yun mga favorites lang naka 320kbps

Actually the file size for 256 vs 320 kbps is small.  You might as well go for 320 kbps.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #462 on: Feb 13, 2008 at 10:21 PM »
Actually the file size for 256 vs 320 kbps is small.  You might as well go for 320 kbps.

the iTunes I downloaded can only go for 256, I now use dbpoweramp to convert to 320. i'm converting the same song to 128, 192, 256, and 320 and compare the sizes and see if I can still hear the difference...  ;D

kakatuwa ang bilis mag convert!  :o

Offline muypogi

• DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #463 on: Feb 13, 2008 at 11:08 PM »

the iTunes I downloaded can only go for 256, I now use dbpoweramp to convert to 320. i'm converting the same song to 128, 192, 256, and 320 and compare the sizes and see if I can still hear the difference...  ;D

kakatuwa ang bilis mag convert!  :o

Hmmm. . . iTunes can do up to 320kbps.  Did you change the settings?  Or baka for CD rips lang yung 320kbps?

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #464 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 11:26 AM »
hi muypogi,

I'm not acquanted with the settings of iTunes but I was able to change the settings and there were only two choices for bitrates, 128 and 256. Anyway I am having fun with dbpoweramp converter, conversion settings now at 320.

Offline tcris

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #465 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 05:05 PM »
Hi Jojo, yung promise mo ha, ituturo mo lahat yang PSP tricks sa akin sa next visit mo di ba?! he,he im glad you're enjoying your new toy, sulit na sulit sa iyo yan

Offline Ctlim

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #466 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 05:23 PM »
been living for a week listening to this setup, a psp that plays wave files, a tube preamp and this nice little class-t amp connected to a wharfdale 9.1 bs.

contrary to some old beliefs, the sound is great, otherwise I wouldn't have lasted a week with it anyway.

is that an IE-6HU6 na magic eye?

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #467 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 08:46 PM »
Hi Jojo, yung promise mo ha, ituturo mo lahat yang PSP tricks sa akin sa next visit mo di ba?! he,he im glad you're enjoying your new toy, sulit na sulit sa iyo yan

Ikaw kasi na sars ako sa PSP mo eh hehe. promise yan sir, endless supply pa naman tayo ng ISO games. music player ko siya ngayon kaya sulit...  ;D ;D ;D

btw, di ko na kinuha yun px200, will get the px100. tindi ng sars talaga.  ;D

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #468 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 09:31 PM »
is that an IE-6HU6 na magic eye?

it's a 6E2 magic eye sir...

Offline tubeneophyte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #469 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 07:52 PM »
Hi, Im new in this thread but an old timer in audio.  Im fascinated with tubes and would like to try the DIY route.  I saw your thread and it seems that your the Tube guru.  However, in browsing your thread all I see are headphone amps, line surge supressors and a small tube buffer. 

Im wondering if you are also capable of producing an integrated tube amp.  I would also appreciate if you can send me pictures of your previous tube amp projects.  tnx

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #470 on: Feb 19, 2008 at 08:29 PM »
Hi, Im new in this thread but an old timer in audio.  Im fascinated with tubes and would like to try the DIY route.  I saw your thread and it seems that your the Tube guru.  However, in browsing your thread all I see are headphone amps, line surge supressors and a small tube buffer. 

Im wondering if you are also capable of producing an integrated tube amp.  I would also appreciate if you can send me pictures of your previous tube amp projects.  tnx

Hi,

I'm no tube guru, others deserve the title but please, not me - I just love electronics stuff. I have built a number of gears using tubes, from preamps to power amps to hybrids, unfortunately, I didn't bother to post most of them (too busy or sometimes owner request). Now I'm a bit busy on restoring vintage tube gears (sometimes even new ones), I like it because there are much to learn from them which cannot be found in books and the internet.

Aside from tubes, I also like tinkering solid state stuff - though not as fancy and glorious as tube gears, with system synergy, they do the job well nonetheless.

Oh by the way dude, Welcome to PinoyDVD!

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #471 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 06:59 PM »
Rebuilt my tube hybrid headamp for my px100 and never thought compressed music could sound this way...

Thanks to all who pushed me to go aac!  ;D

Offline tubeneophyte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #472 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 07:43 PM »
Master jojo, i have bin very busy lately, im just curious after building all those excellent tube gears, what tube gears are you personally using for your very own set up, must be an amazing set up, i hope you can share your entire tube set up, from source to speakers

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #473 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 08:23 PM »
Master jojo, i have bin very busy lately, im just curious after building all those excellent tube gears, what tube gears are you personally using for your very own set up, must be an amazing set up, i hope you can share your entire tube set up, from source to speakers

I have a very modest setup, not as spectacular as you think. My source is a modded Sony 333ES coupled to John Broskie's Aikido tube line preamp and a diy'd solid state power amp (soon to be dual mono, if I get the time) and a Williamson ul/tr pp el34 fixed biased. They alternately drive my Wharfdale 9.1 and 9.5 speakers. I forgot my interconnects but they're all diy'd, the last one I did uses Klotz wires. I alternately use my tube rectified 6sn7 ccs preamp and a foreplay with seduction upgrade.

Some of my ss amps on stand by mode are diy'd Leach amp, Rod Elliot's P3A, SAE clone, Tube Hybrid Gainclone (bedroom setup). I also have a Carver Cathedral amp waiting for some tweaking and a Pioneer A-403.

Pretty simple but it works, well, at least for me.

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #474 on: Feb 25, 2008 at 09:00 PM »
sir jojo, will be bringing the amp over to your place sa sat instead... around 1pm? avail ka ba nun?

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #475 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 10:33 AM »
sir jojo, will be bringing the amp over to your place sa sat instead... around 1pm? avail ka ba nun?

sat 1pm would be ok sir.

Offline Ctlim

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #476 on: Feb 26, 2008 at 10:44 AM »
salamat boss! see you then!

Offline triggerfish012

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #477 on: Mar 03, 2008 at 02:20 PM »
Gud am  sir,
I’ve heard you do some good cd player modification. I’ve got a jubileaum cd player which my friend bought for me from Singapore. It’s a simple player modified by Xanden of Japan. And this cd player has a tube output  (12ax7) 1 pc, and what i see is it’ has wires directly connected to the balance output only.When testing the balance out it seems that the tube is not working ,by passed , not connected ( no supply in the tube ) , etc. because even though I remove the tube it still has an audio out.

Just would like to know if you can inspect and is it possible to utilize the tube again .
PM or text me for upgrade, repair costing ( 09215702622)-----------Jun
Also Pm me your contact no.

I can bring the player tomorrow on your place If it’s ok for you.

IMG]http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/268/2074664su5.jpg[/IMG]
By juncor012, shot with E-500 at 2008-02-22

IMG]http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5644/2114770in8.jpg[/IMG]

IMG]http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5644/2114770in8.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/268/2074664su5.jpg[/IMG]

By juncor012, shot with E-500 at 2008-03-02
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2008 at 02:30 PM by triggerfish012 »

Offline s2kov

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #478 on: Mar 03, 2008 at 02:48 PM »
bro,

meron ba'ng wire connecting to tube socket yan? parang wala yata?

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #479 on: Mar 03, 2008 at 03:48 PM »
Same observation as Andy's, solder lugs looks clean, no trace of any solder.

Let's just investigate further, might had been intentionally left out when you had it modified/upgraded.