Author Topic: GIEC GK-3118 HVD Player  (Read 2298 times)

Offline m0b1u5

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Music is everywhere... we just have to listen...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
GIEC GK-3118 HVD Player
« on: Sep 19, 2005 at 12:34 AM »
I saw this player in Image Video in Harrison Plaza. 

http://www.giec.cn/en/chanpin/tong/pic/2004910142720.jpg

Price is 10.5K.

Are there already HVD movies available locally?
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2005 at 12:36 AM by dennispm »
Know Thyself!

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
Re: GIEC GK-3118 HVD Player
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2005 at 03:53 PM »
HVD movies can only be bought in China & HK. And only limited titles are available. But Hero and HOFD are among them.

HOFD was among the free DVDs we (me & my friend) got when we bought 2 units of this last April in HK.

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2005 at 05:22 PM »
Sir, will you recommend this brand  ;) looking for a player that can at least go 720p, currently using a Pioneer DVD which can only go 480p. Sayang naman kasi dahil my TV can go 1080i (6 mths and slightly used, which I am thinking of selling). Thanks  ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2005 at 05:24 PM by vtec3 »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2005 at 06:12 PM »
Sir, will you recommend this brand  ;) looking for a player that can at least go 720p, currently using a Pioneer DVD which can only go 480p. Sayang naman kasi dahil my TV can go 1080i (6 mths and slightly used, which I am thinking of selling). Thanks  ;)

My RPTV is not DVI or HDMI capable, so this dvd player was my most economical alternative to enjoy 720p to 1080i resolution using component cable. Me & my friend are happy with the PQ.  My friend uses a front PJ (96") and he is totally awed by the difference in PQ that this baby gave to his system. I tried switching last night to 480p while watching Conan the Barbarian and the change in image quality was indeed noticeable in my RPTV.

I would recommend this player if you are using 32" in TV and up, or if you like to watch up close, cuz the higher resolution helps you enjoy the movie without the irritating scan lines. Honestly, I am not sure if the PQ is noticeable at 20+in TVs. In my setup , the viewing distance is quite short, so this player really helps.

If you could wait, I am sure the branded DVD players will be coming up with players with this capability. NeuNeo is also another competitor that could do this function, but its pricier at 15k
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2005 at 06:24 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2005 at 06:14 PM »
I also recommend this player if you plan to use a front projector. Reason? Component signals give the best PQ next to DVI or HDMI. Problem is, DVI and HDMI cables cost a LOT, specially the long 8+m variants used for PJs. The ones I saw in Hong Kong ranged from Php9k (ordinary 10m DVI cable) to Php60+k :o :o :o! (6% silver coated 10m HDMI cable).

If you really plan to use DVI/HDMI DVD players for your front PJ, the best solution would be to use the free 2 m. DVI/HDMI cable and install your DVD player near your front PJ, w/c would usually be at the back. Imagine that you need to point your remote control backwards to use it, pretty awkward, but can be done. You have to use a very long coax cable to connect to your amps, if the amps are in front that is.
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2005 at 06:54 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2005 at 07:21 PM »
Where in HK did you buy this player? Might go there in November  ;D Hard kasi to buy electronics there even with those stores that has the HKTA sticker, ang susungit nila and kapag tumawad ka feeling mo dapat mo na ito bilhin.

Otherwise might just go to the Harrison shop, kaya lang walang libre na movie  :D

O.T. will go to Japan on tuesday baka mayron ka R2 title na gusto pabili  ;D Hopefully though magkaroon ako ng time dahil will be travelling in a group eh mahirap dahil from what I know dalawa lang kami dun na into DVD  ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2005 at 09:45 AM »
Where in HK did you buy this player? Might go there in November  ;D Hard kasi to buy electronics there even with those stores that has the HKTA sticker, ang susungit nila and kapag tumawad ka feeling mo dapat mo na ito bilhin.

Otherwise might just go to the Harrison shop, kaya lang walang libre na movie  :D

O.T. will go to Japan on tuesday baka mayron ka R2 title na gusto pabili  ;D Hopefully though magkaroon ako ng time dahil will be travelling in a group eh mahirap dahil from what I know dalawa lang kami dun na into DVD  ;D

Thanks for the offer bro. Ok ba R2 PAL DVDs? I have never tried em, I never tried activating the PAL capabilities of my TV and DVD player as well.

Sungit? That was a long time ago. Their economy is not that good these days so they arent masungit lately, specially the younger ones. But I still encounter some older ones who are rude, but I was kinda ready for it. SO I didnt take any offense, walang kwentang patulan mo pa sila.

Tactic ko dyan, approach them and ask "Can I have your best price for ....". And they were accomodating to me. You have to be bold and look like you are about to buy.

I got it from Mongkok electronic street, where they sell TVs, electronics, cellphones, etc. It was always out of stock everywhere. I am not sure if its still availablle now cuz last I heard they were phasing it out for their new model that upconverts thru HDMI, bad news is, it cant upconvert through component.

Anyone see this in HK lately?

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2005 at 10:10 AM »
Thanks for the offer bro. Ok ba R2 PAL DVDs? I have never tried em, I never tried activating the PAL capabilities of my TV and DVD player as well.

To be honest, I haven't tried R2 also even if my player and TV can handle PAL system  ;) Just thought na you might also be collecting R2 DVDs especially yung boxset nila  :)

Sungit? That was a long time ago. Their economy is not that good these days so they arent masungit lately, specially the younger ones. But I still encounter some older ones who are rude, but I was kinda ready for it. SO I didnt take any offense, walang kwentang patulan mo pa sila.

Tactic ko dyan, approach them and ask "Can I have your best price for ....". And they were accomodating to me. You have to be bold and look like you are about to buy.

I got it from Mongkok electronic street, where they sell TVs, electronics, cellphones, etc. It was always out of stock everywhere. I am not sure if its still availablle now cuz last I heard they were phasing it out for their new model that upconverts thru HDMI, bad news is, it cant upconvert through component.

Thanks for the info bro, will try Mongkok if natuloy kami HK next month.  Na trauma na kasi ako before and have not tried buying electronic stuff since then  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2005 at 10:12 AM by vtec3 »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2005 at 10:37 AM »
To be honest, I haven't tried R2 also even if my player and TV can handle PAL system  ;) Just thought na you might also be collecting R2 DVDs especially yung boxset nila  :)

Thanks for the info bro, will try Mongkok if natuloy kami HK next month.  Na trauma na kasi ako before and have not tried buying electronic stuff since then  ;D

You're welcome. I dont collect box sets na, sayang lang ng funds, basta I can watch it with good PQ, ok na kahit R3. Gives me more funds to allocate for my HT setup.  ;)

Ang hirap pag 2 expensive hobbies sabay  ::)
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2005 at 10:44 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline turismo1997

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2005 at 12:44 PM »

Saan po itong harrison shop? me nagbebenta ba doon ng giec na nagupconvert to 1080i/720p via component cable? how much?

thanks

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2005 at 02:52 PM »
harrison plaza is at the back of central bank building in roxas blvd. yung image video store is right beside mcdonalds fronting rizal memorial colliseum and sa side ng sm dept store hp.

Offline mishnu

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2005 at 10:57 AM »
Can this play divx? ok din ba sya if you play audio cds? Aside from harrison does anybody know where else can you get this player?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2005 at 11:20 AM »
Can this play divx? ok din ba sya if you play audio cds? Aside from harrison does anybody know where else can you get this player?

No Divx. Ok naman for audio CDs.

But I got myself a dedicated CD player and there was a difference, not huge, but there was a difference.

Aside from Harrison? Mongkok, HK. ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2005 at 04:15 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 20, 2006 at 06:08 PM »
I came from HK yesterday. This model is phased out but I see it everywhere being used for demoing big TVs.

There is a new upscaling dvd player, BBK, that does this through component & HDMI, plus SACD, HDCD, DIVX capability.

But when I asked the salesperson which performed better (Giec or BBK). His answer was GIEC... So I didnt buy it anymore  ;D