Author Topic: Budget speakers&sub for an audio dummy  (Read 3072 times)

Offline sikat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Budget speakers&sub for an audio dummy
« on: Oct 11, 2005 at 05:27 PM »
Hello. I want to buy a sound system... well actually i think just a subwoofer.. or a tweeter? I have no idea.

My set-up is a sony flat 21-inch tv, an aiwa hi-fi component system (which still sounds good), and pioneer dvd player in my bedroom. i was thinking maybe i should add additional speakers? Subwoofer? Tweeter?

I'm very particular about sound.. i want it loud and booming. As if i'm in a club!

What do you recommend? Mura lang ha, and. I absolutely don't know anything about audio techie stuff like you guys (hint: i'm a female, how should i know). Something basic lang. And cheap!

Offline kt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Budget speakers&sub for an audio dummy
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2005 at 06:07 PM »
hi sikat! well if u like booming sounds...since u said your aiwa still sounds good to u...then i suggest u get a subwoofer like daichi or dynaquest. i guess theyre the most affordable in the market. may sub out naman sa dvd player mo ryt? im using lang din yung DTX 4.10 thats from daichi n ok n ok na hinihinaan ko pa nga eh coz malakas na sya. then if kulang ka pa sa loudness, u can get separate speakers...but i guess youll have to use an amp na for this setup na...wait nalng din tyo ng suggestion ng iba...gluk! :D

Offline Jason_10

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • V6 24V
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2005 at 09:00 AM »
yes, dtx subs are the way to go. im a satisfied 4.10 owner myself. the bass is really overwhelming thats why i keep it to a minimal setting. i used to have an aiwa mini compo and afaik, it has a sub out also.
From chaos, comes clarity...

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2005 at 10:37 AM »
sikat 1 more thing....will u be using the system more for music or movies?

Offline arthurallanj

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2005 at 12:06 PM »
Although I wouldn't suggest connecting the sub to the dvd player. It's best to have it connected to the amp, in this case, the aiwa mini compo. If it doesn't have a sub out, you can always connect it to the line out, if it still doesn't have that, you can use the speaker out and connect it to the high or speaker level input of the sub.  ;)
Making the most of what I've got

Offline arthurallanj

• DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2005 at 12:08 PM »
Oh and ahh, I wish there would be more ladies here at pinoyDVD. Welcome sista.  ;D

Offline sikat

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2005 at 12:48 PM »
hi sikat! well if u like booming sounds...since u said your aiwa still sounds good to u...then i suggest u get a subwoofer like daichi or dynaquest. i guess theyre the most affordable in the market. may sub out naman sa dvd player mo ryt? im using lang din yung DTX 4.10 thats from daichi n ok n ok na hinihinaan ko pa nga eh coz malakas na sya. then if kulang ka pa sa loudness, u can get separate speakers...but i guess youll have to use an amp na for this setup na...wait nalng din tyo ng suggestion ng iba...gluk! :D

Really? Wait, what does a sub-out look like? I can only distinguish through colors  ??? :-\!! I think my aiwa has two blue sub-outs for left and right... pero nakakabit na sa speakers. Apparently, my aiwa component has built-in subwoofers. Should I remove them from the sub-out if I get new subwoofers?

Well I do watch dvds too... and lalo na music.. there's no moment of silence in my room!

An amp? Mahal yata yon? Meron bang mabibiling 2k na amp???  ;D

Offline sikat

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2005 at 12:56 PM »
Although I wouldn't suggest connecting the sub to the dvd player. It's best to have it connected to the amp, in this case, the aiwa mini compo. If it doesn't have a sub out, you can always connect it to the line out, if it still doesn't have that, you can use the speaker out and connect it to the high or speaker level input of the sub.  ;)

What the heck are you talking about? Wala akong maintindihan!!!  ;D ;D ;D Anong line-out? Anong speaker level input of sub?  :o :o  ;D ;D

Offline alistair

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2005 at 01:48 PM »
I think my aiwa has two blue sub-outs for left and right... pero nakakabit na sa speakers.
Hmmn, I'm not quite sure those are sub outs. They're probably just your regular speaker high level or speaker level outputs.

Apparently, my aiwa component has built-in subwoofers. Should I remove them from the sub-out if I get new subwoofers?
I kinda doubt that. Most component system speakers would have woofers, yes, to handle the mid/upper bass and some of the bass (50Hz to 160-200Hz). A dedicated subwoofer is meant to exclusively handle the low-frequency sounds or the bass and some of the deep bass (as low as 20Hz to around 80-100Hz). While some audiophiles with money to spend will have two subwoofers complimenting each one of their left/right main speakers, that's kind of overkill since bass frequencies aren't very directional hence the brain has a hard time localizing them hence even just one subwoofer will do.

An amp? Mahal yata yon? Meron bang mabibiling 2k na amp???  ;D
Meron siguro - second-hand, or surplus sa pier. BTW, by definition a component system has an amplifier built-in so you already have an amp - just not a separate or dedicated amp like some people here.

If you do get a dedicated subwoofer you'll need to figure out how to connect it from your DVD player or component system. Most subwoofers, I think, have the option of being connected either through a dedicated sub-out connection or through line-level outputs (low voltage outputs) or the speaker-level outputs I mentioned earlier.

If you're not sure how your DVD player or component can be connected to an external sub, then maybe you should ask your potential retailer/supplier to help you out. You may be able to describe your DVD player or component and they might know about it. Or, you could bring either to the store and they'll help you figure it out there.

You could also take pictures of the back of the units and post them here so the other members can help you sort it all out. Alternatively, ask a friend who's more experienced and knowledgeable in these things for help/advice in setting up.

Or, mukhang dito sa PinoyDVD maraming willing na samahan at tulungan ka. ;D

Good luck!

Offline kt

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2005 at 03:42 PM »
sis sikat! yup u can try to take pix of the back part of your units the guys here can give u options on how to go about your system :D

Offline arthurallanj

• DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2005 at 11:57 AM »
What the heck are you talking about? Wala akong maintindihan!!!  ;D ;D ;D Anong line-out? Anong speaker level input of sub?  :o :o  ;D ;D

Sorry, dear. Do you see those wires coming from the aiwa compo going to the speakers? These are speaker lever outputs. If you have a sub that has a speaker level input, dito mo muna idadaan ang speaker wires from the aiwa compo, then yung speaker level output dun sa sub, dun mo naman ikakabit ang existing speakers mo. But as bro kt said, maybe you could post a pic. This would surely help a lot.  ;)

Offline sikat

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2005 at 02:36 PM »

Yan! There you go, pics of my so-called "system" na sa totoo lang, ay aiwa mini component and pioneer dvd player lang. :)

I saw some amplifiers in raon, I went there yesterday! Pero mukhang mga locally manufactured.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2005 at 05:56 PM »

Yan! There you go, pics of my so-called "system" na sa totoo lang, ay aiwa mini component and pioneer dvd player lang. :)

I saw some amplifiers in raon, I went there yesterday! Pero mukhang mga locally manufactured.

If I look close enough on the pics above there's an L and R speaker terminal for LOW FREQ, an RCA-Type L and R terminals for HIGH FREQ Speakers(where the blue cables are connected) and an unused L and R RCA terminal for REAR Speakers.  No CENTER speaker terminals.  Maybe the speaker terminals for Low Freq can be connected to a powered sub's speaker level input for a more booming bass.     
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2005 at 05:58 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #13 on: Oct 27, 2005 at 01:11 PM »

Wow a lady going to raon, ;D thats what 2t pesos can buy these days ;D ;D ;D