Author Topic: Rotel AV Receivers/Amplifiers  (Read 135229 times)

Offline KEN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rotel AV Receivers/Amplifiers
« Reply #180 on: Apr 16, 2005 at 04:37 PM »
Try auditioning the 1500 and see if its stereo direct bypass mode is better than what you have now. The Rc-03 is an entry level preamp but like most Rotels, they're still much better designed and constructed than the preamp sections of many entry level to md=priced receivers and integrateds. Separates are still preferred among audiophiles.   Having said that, it's posible that any improvement would be incremental, not dramatic.   

If you can audition and make comparisons between the RC03 and the 1500's stereo direct mode, that should help you decide.  And if you plan to have a separate stereo and HT rigs as your final set-up, then I guess, getting the RC-03 now would finally settle your desire to simplify the stereo set-up since, you already have an HT rig anyway.   Then save up for the desired HT upgrade later. 

The 1500 does have a lot of bells and whistle like the YPAO room equalization feature you can play with.  SOmetimes those features can be very attractive and would overshadow something as simple as the RC03.  And there's a good chance the 1500 can also play great stereo in bypass mode.  Theory is one thing, and actually hearing it is another.  I really suggest you make a test comparison between the two. It's very difficult to give an advice one way or the other expecially when my gut feel tells me the benefits either way could be very incremental.  Let you ears decide, I always say.

Thanks av_phile1,

Just went to Rotel showroom here last Thursday but they dont have it in stock  and wont probably have it in the near future since according to them it is a very slow moving item.

It seems the situation is pulling me towards the AV/receiver side...I just emailed Dubai, their ME distributor for a quotation incase shipping cost would not be that much I might get it from them...otherwise I have to postpone my upgrade since I'll be home this comming June baka dyan nlang sa atin might even try tube preamp, I'm more on simplifying/improving my 2 ch audio setup for now.

Thanks again...

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #181 on: Apr 23, 2005 at 03:51 PM »
Just want to share this...

Got already the Rotel RC-03, it  improved my 2 ch. audio compare to my previous setup aside from simplifying/separating my HT and Audio setup...though its only their entry level preamp. Only drawback is that I cannot go beyond 9 o'clock on the volume knob - very loud already and I'm worried baka masira yung power amp or the preamp. Now my current normal listening volume is set to 7-8 o'clock only...

Just curious is there a way to reduce the output sensitivity of the RC-03 with out openning it (so as not to void the warranty ) and with minimal effect on the sound quality ? My power amp input sensitivity is only 375mV/8ohms while the RC-03 output sensitivity is 1V/100 ohms...a friend told me that it is the reason for my volume adjustment situation.

TIA
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2005 at 10:06 PM by KEN »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #182 on: Apr 25, 2005 at 01:15 PM »

Just curious is there a way to reduce the output sensitivity of the RC-03 with out openning it (so as not to void the warranty ) and with minimal effect on the sound quality ? My power amp input sensitivity is only 375mV/8ohms while the RC-03 output sensitivity is 1V/100 ohms...a friend told me that it is the reason for my volume adjustment situation.

TIA

That 375 mV input sensitivity is more common on line level inputs than power-ins.  And 8-ohm impedance??? Are you sure?  Pls recheck.  You may have misquoted the amp's input spec that say 375mV input for full power at 8-ohm speakers.  Power amps often have input impedances greater than 10K ohms up to around 47K at their indicated voltage sensitivities. 

If indeed, your power amp can be driven to full power at 375mV, the RC-03's 1V RMS would be high so you can't bring the volume up too far or you risk overdriving the power amp and you get more THDs.  There are voltage dividing passive circuits you can build to halve the preamp's output but I'd just leave it as is.  The volume control actually acts as a continuous voltage attentuator.  So the 9 o'clock position may be spewing out just around 300mV output as compared to 1V at full volume position.   I shouldn't be bothered if the volume level is already loud at 9 o'clock position.  The wel received Tono tube  preamp already has enough gain to drive a small speaker and is reputed to be quite loud at the same position when mated to any power amp.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2005 at 01:22 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #183 on: Apr 25, 2005 at 05:04 PM »
That 375 mV input sensitivity is more common on line level inputs than power-ins.  And 8-ohm impedance??? Are you sure?  Pls recheck.  You may have misquoted the amp's input spec that say 375mV input for full power at 8-ohm speakers.  Power amps often have input impedances greater than 10K ohms up to around 47K at their indicated voltage sensitivities. 

If indeed, your power amp can be driven to full power at 375mV, the RC-03's 1V RMS would be high so you can't bring the volume up too far or you risk overdriving the power amp and you get more THDs.  There are voltage dividing passive circuits you can build to halve the preamp's output but I'd just leave it as is.  The volume control actually acts as a continuous voltage attentuator.  So the 9 o'clock position may be spewing out just around 300mV output as compared to 1V at full volume position.   I shouldn't be bothered if the volume level is already loud at 9 o'clock position.  The wel received Tono tube  preamp already has enough gain to drive a small speaker and is reputed to be quite loud at the same position when mated to any power amp.

hi av_phile,
I'm not familiar with these figures but here's the full specs of the power amps:

Power output : 50w into 8ohms, 6A peak
                       70w into 4ohms, 6A peak
Distortion(Dtot):<0.01% at 20Hz any level up to 50w
                        <0.01% at 1kHz any level up to 50w
                        <0.03% at 20kHz any level up to 50w
                        (continous sinewave into 8ohms resistive load)
Output,internal
Impedance and DC offset : 1.5uH in series with 0.05ohms.DC offset 7mV
Frequency Response: -0.25dB at 20Hz and 20kHz. ref 1kHz
                                -1.0dB at 13Hz and 40kHz. ref 1kHz
Power Response:        -0.25dB at 20Hz and 20kHz. ref 1kHz   
Input Sensitivity:        375mV for 50w at 8ohms
Input Impedance:       20 Kohms
Input Overload:           Instantaneous recovery up to +15 dB overload
Crosstalk:                   -100dB at 100Hz
                                  -85dB at 1kHz
                                  -65dB at 10kHz
                                  (input loaded by 1kohms)
Hum and noise             Unweighted -105dB ref. 50w
                                  (15.7kHz measurement bandwidth)
Stability                      unconditionally stable with any load and input

I'm already happy with the big improvement on my 2ch listening.
Kindly post your view regarding my amp/preamp. What would happend incase I go beyong the 9'oclock position would it damage my speaker,p.amplifier or preamp ?

TIA
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2005 at 05:11 PM by KEN »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #184 on: Apr 25, 2005 at 06:15 PM »

Input Sensitivity:        375mV for 50w at 8ohms
Input Impedance:       20 Kohms

Yup, the amp can deliver its rated 50W power into 8 ohms with just 375 mV input.  It's quite sensitive.  But its input impedance is, at 20k, very typical of many power amps.   Excellent specs besides.

Your RC-03 is just fine with it.  Just don't turn the volume too far up.  Your amp can handle an overload of +15db which I think translates to about 5 times the 375mV, again, typical of many amps.

Just a thought.  WIth an input sensitivity like that, I wouldn't need a preamp and just connect a CD player's output directly to the power amp, provided the player has output level control.  Most CD players already have 1V - 3V output.    But then you lose out on input selection facility.  Many purist audiophiles do this, the lesser electronics on the audio path, the better.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2005 at 06:23 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: Apr 25, 2005 at 06:27 PM »
Yup, the amp can deliver its rated 50W power into 8 ohms with just 375 mV input.  It's quite sensitive.  But its input impedance is, at 20k, very typical of many power amps.   Excellent specs besides.

Your RC-03 is just fine with it.  Just don't turn the volume too far up.  Your amp can handle an overload of +15db which I think translates to about 5 times the 375mV, again, typical of many amps.

Thanks av_phile1...max for me is only 7-8'oclock beyond that point  is already too loud for me.

Just a thought.  WIth an input sensitivity like that, I wouldn't need a preamp and just connect a CD player's output directly to the power amp, provided the player has output level control.  Most CD players already have 1V - 3V output.    But then you lose out on input selection facility.  Many purist audiophiles do this, the lesser electronics on the audio path, the better.

CDP has no volume control was thinking before of passive preamp but these are very rare and if you find one its pricey. CDP is RCD02 one factor I consider in getting the RC03.

thanks again...
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2005 at 06:54 PM by KEN »

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #186 on: Apr 27, 2005 at 03:05 PM »
CDP has no volume control was thinking before of passive preamp but these are very rare and if you find one its pricey. CDP is RCD02 one factor I consider in getting the RC03.

hi ken,

if you are interested in passive preamps, you may want to check out the ones built by hyperaudio and/or amx. have personally tried one by hyperaudio and i can recommend it bro. hth
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #187 on: Apr 27, 2005 at 03:16 PM »
hi ken,

if you are interested in passive preamps, you may want to check out the ones built by hyperaudio and/or amx. have personally tried one by hyperaudio and i can recommend it bro. hth

hi narayan,

thanks for the info., got already the RC03, anyhow I'll be on my annual vacation this comming June I can try to check hyperaudio's place. Also I read from somewhere on the net that the Quad 306's are good on passive preamp but  unfortunately only Rotel and Onkyo has preamp here in Jeddah.

thanks...

thanks...

Offline jakeadriano

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm not new here! :)
  • Liked:
rotel Ra02 integrated amp.
« Reply #188 on: Aug 02, 2005 at 09:46 PM »
hi. what is the best speaker to be paired w/RA02? ??? ??? ???thnx

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1002
Re: rotel Ra02 integrated amp.
« Reply #189 on: Aug 02, 2005 at 10:12 PM »
depends on the ff parameters:

1. room size
2. budget
3. type of music

If I were you I would'nt match the RA-02 with speakers that are hard to drive
(4 ohm 88db and below sensitivity type of speakers) because the RA-02's 40 watts can only go so far..it would simply just run out of steam long before it can make a 4 ohm woofer move. cranking it up even further will result into amp clipping and that will ultimately spell doom for the speakers.

Try to audition 8 ohm/88db and up speakers...there are lots of good sounding speakers with those kind of specs. that should significantly narrow down your shortlist.  Happy hunting  :)
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #190 on: Aug 03, 2005 at 07:42 AM »
Having 8 ohm impedance doesn't always mean the speakers are easy to drive. Impedance varies w/ frequency and may dip wildly. An impedance curve is a better indicator, but this is not provided in the specs.

So, listen, listen and listen. When you've narrowed down your choices and can't decide because you like them all, you can look at the specs.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #191 on: Aug 03, 2005 at 10:39 AM »
The B&W speaker brand uses Rotel as its official amp for voicing and testing its speakers.  So I guess if you want the best pairing with your Rotel,  a B&W should be a no brainer.  Do try their 300 series bookshelf speakers for starters.  Having said that, I'm pretty sure most mid-powered commercial speakers out there will do.  Just audition them making sure the impedances match.  Though as a high current amp, the RA-02 can drive 4-ohm speakers as well. 

Offline jakeadriano

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm not new here! :)
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: Aug 03, 2005 at 09:47 PM »
mrami slamat mga bro. ; :)

Offline boomjam

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #193 on: Aug 04, 2005 at 07:49 AM »
Try Kef Q-series.  The Uni-Q design has great imaging and mids that are to die for.  I've heard the Q1s on rotel and they bring out the "live" feeling of music.  Also, even if your listening position is not dead center, detail and imaging are still very good.

Offline 24bit

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: Aug 22, 2005 at 07:07 PM »
The B&W speaker brand uses Rotel as its official amp for voicing and testing its speakers.  So I guess if you want the best pairing with your Rotel,  a B&W should be a no brainer.  Do try their 300 series bookshelf speakers for starters.  Having said that, I'm pretty sure most mid-powered commercial speakers out there will do.  Just audition them making sure the impedances match.  Though as a high current amp, the RA-02 can drive 4-ohm speakers as well. 

av_phile 1 is correct, I'm using B&W 602 with my RA-02 and it's a very good match.

Offline docsialu

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • with no power, comes no responsibility
  • Liked:
« Reply #195 on: Sep 11, 2005 at 02:10 PM »
good day, how  bout monitor audio b2, would it be a good match for the ra02?

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #196 on: Sep 11, 2005 at 03:52 PM »
good day, how  bout monitor audio b2, would it be a good match for the ra02?

They say the B2 and Rotel are on the "bright" side. The result may be too "bright". Have a listen to the combo as YMMV.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #197 on: Sep 12, 2005 at 04:49 PM »
Could be bright to some, just right for you.  Let your ears have the final say.  Having said that, if indeed they are a bright combination,  there are some inexpensive or easy ways to tame bright speakers.  But there's really not much tweaking you can do for dull speakers, except possibly to change tweeters or crossovers  ;D  But ofcourse,  it's always best to get the right stuff for your ears at the very start.  Happy auditioning.  ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2005 at 06:07 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #198 on: Jan 04, 2006 at 10:22 PM »

Rotel RA-03 - does anyone know the prevailing price for this amp., at saan A/V shop po ang pinakamura, TIA 8)

Offline nephilim

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • PureSound Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #199 on: Jan 04, 2006 at 10:24 PM »
Try out Sound Dimension at Park Square 1 in Makati 
PureSound Inc.

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #200 on: Jan 04, 2006 at 10:43 PM »
Try out Sound Dimension at Park Square 1 in Makati 

thanks a lot, sir....any other stores carrying this brand?

Offline whipsaw

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #201 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 10:52 AM »
i understand sights and sounds can sell you that but it would be on a per order basis

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #202 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 10:53 AM »
According to the head honcho at Sound Dimension, they're the authorized distributor of Rotel products here.

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #203 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 11:25 AM »
I think F.M. Apolinario (whose brother is Gerry of Gerry's Grill) distributes Rotel and Velodyne and a brand of speakers (which I forget). Found this out when I bought my Rotel CDP years back from Upscale Audio and had it repaired by them (Apolinario) directly last year.

Offline moks

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Rotel RA-03 or RC-03 and RB-03 Combo?
« Reply #204 on: Jan 24, 2006 at 03:53 PM »
Guys,

I just need your comment, i'm planning to purchase an amp to drive a pair of monitor audio rs1's. i'm contemplating on a cost effective approach measure. option 1 is the rotel ra-03, option 2 is rotel rc-03 preamp and rotel rb-03 power amp. the rotel rb-03 power amp is rated at 70w per channel also, same as that of the ra-03 integrated amp. which would i choose?

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Rotel RA-03 or RC-03 and RB-03 Combo?
« Reply #205 on: Jan 24, 2006 at 08:30 PM »
Guys,

I just need your comment, i'm planning to purchase an amp to drive a pair of monitor audio rs1's. i'm contemplating on a cost effective approach measure. option 1 is the rotel ra-03, option 2 is rotel rc-03 preamp and rotel rb-03 power amp. the rotel rb-03 power amp is rated at 70w per channel also, same as that of the ra-03 integrated amp. which would i choose?

if budget is not a constraint, i will go for separates due to its flexibility for future upgrades :)
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #206 on: Jan 24, 2006 at 11:07 PM »
am also interested in this topic :D......sir moks, what are the prevailing prices for RC-03 & RB-03, thanks in advance 8)

Offline moks

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #207 on: Jan 25, 2006 at 12:59 PM »
sa pagkaalam ko the rc-03's srp is 21,000 and the rb-03's srp is also 21,000. I'm just not sure kung pareho silang tumunog what i mean is yung sound characteristics. usually kasi pag compare mo parehong brand and of the same power halos i'm assuming supposedly pareho dapat. though, the damping factor of the rb-03 power amp is greater than the damping factor of the ra-03. can somebody enlighten me about damping factor? malaking factor ba yung damping factor sa isang equipment?

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #208 on: Jan 25, 2006 at 01:10 PM »
The higher damping factor (lower output impedance), supposedly, mas ok kc mas maraming speaker options. There are also audible differences (nabasa ko lang din, audioholics) but these differences start to be inaudible beyond 50 (damping factor).

How about the RA-1062? Costs less than the pre-power combo.

Offline dyna52

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: Jan 25, 2006 at 06:45 PM »
Moks,

Check mo yung Rotel RA 03 kung me jumper wire yung pre amp to amp section nya.  You can verify that with  Apolinario & Associates local dealer of Rotel here in R.P. Call 371-6809 and look for Rudy Valente. Kung merong jumper, sa RA 03 ka na lang kasi mas best buy yun. In the future, mag hybrid ka na lang by using Tube pre amp and your Rotel RA03 amp section.