Author Topic: SUKOB  (Read 8007 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SUKOB
« on: Nov 08, 2005 at 08:29 AM »
Chito Rono's follow-up to the blockbuster hit FENG SHUI.
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2006 at 10:13 AM by Phobos »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: SUKOB
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2006 at 08:05 PM »
Caught the trailer yesterday. Technically well-polished. Will Kris Aquino be eaten alive by Claudine Barretto?  ;D

Hey edboy, I bet you're a part also of this flick. The sounds seems so real.
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2006 at 08:06 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #2 on: Jul 06, 2006 at 03:38 AM »
Will Kris Aquino be eaten alive by Claudine Barretto? 

That I want to watch.

With hot sauce, or flavored warming oil? ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2006 at 03:39 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline garee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • "your look, sounds familiar"
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2006 at 08:44 AM »
the trailer is scarier than feng shui...
watch it here

i think White Lady of Angelica Panganiban give me a scare too.  ;)
trailer
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2006 at 08:51 AM by garee »

Offline edboy7

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2006 at 10:03 AM »

Hey edboy, I bet you're a part also of this flick. The sounds seems so real.
yup we did the sound but i wasnt part of the group Keating :) heard that mixing had to be stopped for 2 weeks to give way to Pacqiuao's bio film...thanks for the compliment though ;)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2006 at 03:48 PM »
That I want to watch.

With hot sauce, or flavored warming oil? ;D

Kris is turning to be the Jamie Lee Curtis of Philippine Cinema. One more horror flick and she can own the thrown. Thanks to Road Runner, the sound system of our movies are now flawless.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 2006 at 04:23 PM »
Jamie Lee Curtis can act. Kris drips.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2006 at 04:25 PM »
Oh, give her a chance, Noel.  ;D BTW, what did O'hara said to her while filming  THE FATIMA BUEN STORY? Did Mario had a hard time convincing her to act? But she merit a critics nomination from that movie.
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2006 at 04:26 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 07, 2006 at 05:25 AM »
He thinks she did good. I disagree. Everyone in the film was fantastic, except her.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 07, 2006 at 01:23 PM »
I don't know and I'm not really sure if the late Charito Solis was serious during the awards night given by the critics wherein Kris was competing with Gelli de Belen and Carmina Villaroel.

Ishmael Bernal & Maryo J. delos Reyes were seated also watching the ceremonies.

When the late actress opened the envelope and remarked........"ay salamat" to announce the Best Actress award and Gelli's name was called, Charito had a big sigh of relief!  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2006 at 01:29 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 08, 2006 at 01:16 AM »
I wouldn't know; I haven't liked her in anything I've seen her in at all. Closest would be Fatima Buen, I suppose.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 09, 2006 at 09:47 AM »
Her best, er worst performances could be in those massacre movies that she did. And BTW, check her out in Bernal's comedy flick with Boyet, but the title slipped on my mind again.

She was good in that film.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 09, 2006 at 11:55 AM »
Her best, er worst performances could be in those massacre movies that she did. And BTW, check her out in Bernal's comedy flick with Boyet, but the title slipped on my mind again.

She was good in that film.

the movie was Mahal Kita, Walang Iba... she was adequate in it but  Edu Manzano's astounding comedic performance was the films' only saving grace...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 09, 2006 at 06:03 PM »
the movie was Mahal Kita, Walang Iba... she was adequate in it but  Edu Manzano's astounding comedic performance was the films' only saving grace...

Thanks Jo for the info. Is this one of the last films of Bernal before WATING? The title was taken from the song by Ogie Alcasid.

I remember it na, because Kris & Boyet kissed on the flyover in Ortigas.  ;)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: Jul 09, 2006 at 06:34 PM »
Let me put it this way... kasing sama ng ugali ni Kris ang acting nya.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 09, 2006 at 06:36 PM »
She has more career in hosting indie boi. LOL! But she always gets the best roles, man. I'm wondering about that.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2006 at 06:37 PM by keating »

Offline everythingyouwant

• Collector
  • You can have everything you want....
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 09, 2006 at 07:57 PM »
mas magaling naman si Kris kesa kay Claudine.that biatch just doesn't cut it.i don't know why she is even in the movies.she is one hell of a hum actor.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 26, 2006 at 05:31 PM »
Sukob (Chito Roño, 2006)
English Title: The Wedding Curse

Philippine cinema belatedly joined the Asian horror bandwagon with the successful release of Chito Roño's supernatural horror Feng Shui, about a young mother who, by chance, discovers a magical ba gua  that brings good fortune to her family in exchange for death of those unfortunate enough to peek into the mirror in the middle of the mysterious home decor. With the boxoffice returns of the film (a surprise for a Philippine film industry that is slowly dying due to the invasion of popcorn entertainment from Hollywood), other film studios followed suit with films with trite storylines, scary ghosts, and a handful of shock moments. Of course, there were exceptional films that came out of the bandwagon. There is Erik Matti's Pa-Siyam, a tale of a vengeful mother who is haunting her children before the traditional nine days of mourning ends, and Yam Laranas' Sigaw (The Echo), about a man who unfortunately shares his apartment floor with a mysterious couple who spends restless nights fighting. Asian counterparts are slowly getting tired of the horror craze, but the Philippines seems to enjoy the genre so much that big film outfits aren't thinking twice in shelling out money to fund these films.

Chito Roño's follow-up to Feng Shui is another horror film in the same vein as the big money magnet. Sukob (The Wedding Curse) is about Sandy (Kris Aquino) who is preparing to get married to her boyfriend for two years, Dale (Wendell Ramos). During their wedding ceremonies, Sandy suffers a mysterious nosebleed that is coupled with visions of a young girl, blackened and rotten, wearing a wedding gown. Everywhere Sandy sees the horrible wraith, her friends get killed and their corpses replaced by one of the traditional symbols and instruments of the wedding ceremony. Sandy and Dale begin an investigation to find out why their wedding is cursed, when they've followed each and every precaution that will prevent misfortune in the couple's married life. While Sandy's wedding is happening, visions of another married couple are shown. This time it is Diana (Claudine Baretto), recently married, who is suffering the same visions and misfortunes. Roño plays a trick here, deceiving the audience as to how Diana's storyline is connected to Sandy's. Roño makes it seem that Diana's storyline is a flashback --- a memory that is triggered so that the curse can be explained and a solution, discovered. Later on, we learn that the whole thing is merely a clever deception by Roño to develop a rather ingenious theme in the film.

It is never explained why the ghost, the visible representation of the wedding curse, is a young girl, but such makes for good horror. The visual appeal of it is quite haunting, and leads me to forgive the fact that much of the plot is bereft of logic. Roño seems to be using each and every trick that has been done before. In the middle of the film, Roño does a Ringu clone where the ghost somewhat transports itself from the window of a neighboring haunted house to a resort cottage far away, ala Sadako. It does get tiring and after a few repetitive scares (which I believe is also caused by the proliferation of similar shock techniques utilized by other films, not by Roño's directorial misfires), every ensuing attempt to scare and shock feels fruitless.

Being a major studio product, Sukob is technically sound. The cinematography matches up to the film's atmosphere and the musical score, unobtrusive. Kris Aquino reprises her scared, worried, terrified, mortified facial expressions that gave her positive critical reactions (undeserved, in my opinion) for her role in Feng Shui. Here, she gets tiring and it is quite fortunate that the other half of the story focuses on Claudine Baretto, a much more formidable actress (which isn't saying much since she's compared to Aquino here), who unfortunately has a lesser material to work with here --- a material that merely requires for her to cry, sob, get scared, and get slightly aroused in anger. The supporting castmembers are much more impressive. Ronaldo Valdez plays Aquino's father and provides the picture with a slight touch of humor that is flawlessly drawn by Valdez without being too out-of-place.

Roño bases his tale, co-written with Chris Martinez (who penned Jeffrey Jeturian's comedies Bridal Shower and Bikini Open), on old wives' tales of misfortunes dawning upon couples who wed within a year after the death of a loved one, or the wedding of a sibling. It's an ingenious concept, that allows Roño to examine the hypocrisies of the wedding ceremony, using a cautionary tale against infidelity. It is this irony that makes the film worthwhile despite its unoriginal trappings. Hopefully Roño doesn't stay rooted into making horror films, and using actors and actresses who only fare well when they look scared or terrified.

pro-
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2006 at 05:32 PM by oggsmoggs »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 26, 2006 at 05:44 PM »
Hopefully Roño doesn't stay rooted into making horror films, and using actors and actresses who only fare well when they look scared or terrified.

Aquino can also do the constipated look flawlessly. If Rono ever does a movie about a woman who can't poop despite eating tons of bran and drinking prune juice, he'd know who to cast. ;)

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 477
« Reply #19 on: Jul 27, 2006 at 02:08 PM »
oooh, give me spoilers! i want to know what the twist is!

Offline vp_ortiz

• DVD Addict
  • Superhero
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 29, 2006 at 02:45 PM »
In terms of story, I like Feng Shui more.  But this is also one of the few good horror films out there. A great watch.  ;)

Plot Twists?

Spoiler Alert

Kris and Clau are sisters from thier father. They got married almost at the same time not knowing what they were sisters. To break the curse, someone must be sacrificed... It turns out to be Clau's unborn child... But Kris intervenes and she dies instead.

« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2006 at 02:47 PM by vp_ortiz »

Offline garee

• DVD Addict
  • "your look, sounds familiar"
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jul 30, 2006 at 01:36 PM »
A nice horror-comedy film because pagkatapos sumigaw ang manonood sa mga nakakakot at nakakagulat na eksena sabay tawanan sa loob ni sinehan hahaha

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #22 on: Aug 02, 2006 at 02:22 AM »
Aquino can also do the constipated look flawlessly. If Rono ever does a movie about a woman who can't poop despite eating tons of bran and drinking prune juice, he'd know who to cast. ;)

And here I thought her acting always made her look like she has diarrhea or LBM.  ;D

Offline di_di

• Collector
  • Hello! Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Aug 02, 2006 at 10:35 AM »
Maganda ba?  I mean is it worth watching?

Kasi I want to see it - kaso hesistant since its a Kris Aquino movie....

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 477
« Reply #24 on: Aug 02, 2006 at 02:01 PM »
nothing is scarier than kris aquino trying to act

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #25 on: Aug 02, 2006 at 02:24 PM »
Kris Aquino trying to act ... and me watching ... No deal.

Offline di_di

• Collector
  • Hello! Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Aug 04, 2006 at 03:42 PM »
i'm watching it tonight

i'm quite excited to be honest! :)

(I can't believe i got excited to watch a kris aquino movie!!!  hahaha..)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Aug 04, 2006 at 10:44 PM »
When I found out about the supposed "twist" ending it made me want to watch it in a theater just to get the opportunity to stand up and clap when that scene unfolds and then shout, "sayang make believe lang" hehe.

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Aug 16, 2006 at 05:08 PM »
Sukob is scarier, but i like the story of Feng Shui

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Aug 22, 2006 at 07:12 PM »
Raked in a total of P170 M and still counting even surpassing FENG SHUI. Will catch it before the week is over.