Author Topic: The Unbearable Lightness of Being, 2-Disc SE  (Read 1379 times)

Offline classicman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Unbearable Lightness of Being, 2-Disc SE
« on: Nov 10, 2005 at 06:54 AM »
from dvdanswers:

Title: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Starring: Daniel Day-Lewis
Released: 7th February 2006
SRP: $26.99

Further Details

Warner has also sent over artwork for a special edition of The Unbearable Lightness of Being which stars Daniel Day-Lewis, Juliette Binoche and Lena Olin. This Philip Kaufman film will arrive as a two-disc set from the 7th February. The retail price will be around $26.99. The film itself will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with English and French Dolby 2.0 Stereo Surround tracks. Again, we have no details on the extra material for this one yet - but we'll bring you further details very shortly.

« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2005 at 06:54 AM by classicman »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: The Unbearable Lightness of Being, 2-Disc SE
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2005 at 05:34 PM »
Savor this one because the Criterion release was a barebone edition. Casting coup also that we rarely see in movies today!

This is Philip Kaufman's best film. I enjoyed every minute of this movie.
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2005 at 05:37 PM by keating »

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 06:52 AM »
Savor this one because the Criterion release was a barebone edition. Casting coup also that we rarely see in movies today!

This is Philip Kaufman's best film. I enjoyed every minute of this movie.

your honor, good thing i prevailed upon myself NOT to buy the criterion release of this title, w/c i think is still non-anamorphic on a single layered DVD-5 disc ;)......instead, i was lucky to buy at a SALE price the r3 release on a snapper case, w/c is in AWS on a DVD-9 dual layered disc :D......but i might consider this 2-disc SE if it's released locally & would go on SALE also ;D

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 08:13 AM »
Unbearable, according to DVDTalk, is the first anamorphic Criterion Release and dual layered. it would play an important part in dvd criterion history.

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=55

8)
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2005 at 08:15 AM by hemisphere »

Offline RadicalDude

• DVD Guru
  • Bluer than Blu-Ray!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 08:21 AM »
I'm confused... what release are you referring to as anamorphic and not? The incoming SE or the previous Criterion?
The sun itself sees not 'til heaven clears.

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 09:59 AM »

Further Details
Warner has also sent over artwork for a special edition of The Unbearable Lightness of Being which stars Daniel Day-Lewis, Juliette Binoche and Lena Olin. This Philip Kaufman film will arrive as a two-disc set from the 7th February. The retail price will be around $26.99. The film itself will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with English and French Dolby 2.0 Stereo Surround tracks. Extras will include a commentary by director/screenwriter Philip Kaufman, screenwriter Jean-Claude Carriere, co-star Lena Olin and editor Walter Murch, an Emotional History: The Making of The Unbearable Lightness of Being documentary, and the trailer.

from DVDANSWERS

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 12:50 PM »

your honor, good thing i prevailed upon myself NOT to buy the criterion release of this title, w/c i think is still non-anamorphic on a single layered DVD-5 disc ;)......instead, i was lucky to buy at a SALE price the r3 release on a snapper case, w/c is in AWS on a DVD-9 dual layered disc :D......but i might consider this 2-disc SE if it's released locally & would go on SALE also ;D

Your honor, its in anamorphic (1.85:1) release the Criterion one. But several dirt and grain are present on the video transfer which is not par to the other excellent releases of CC.

But the performances of the three leads......DANIEL DAY-LEWIS, JULIETTE BINOCHE & LENA OLIN compensated the transfer of the dvd. Ganda!

Bawing-bawi ka!  :)

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 06:59 PM »
Your honor, its in anamorphic (1.85:1) release the Criterion one. But several dirt and grain are present on the video transfer which is not par to the other excellent releases of CC.

But the performances of the three leads......DANIEL DAY-LEWIS, JULIETTE BINOCHE & LENA OLIN compensated the transfer of the dvd. Ganda!

Bawing-bawi ka!  :)

your honor, i stand corrected.....but i think i've read or browsed it before from either amazon or dvdempire about the sub-par video quality of the criterion release, it's really understandable since this was one of the early releases in its catalogue...... :)

there's no question about the movie itself, it's sumptuously beautiful :o......am just trying to point out that if given the choice between the cc & this SE (even granting that their prices are the same), i will choose the latter on any given day, the same way that i opted for the Robocop Trilogy instead of the criterion release of this title...... 8)

ako kasi, while i'm trying to collect criterion releases, am not bent on completing the whole catalogue at baka mamulubi tayo, hehehe ;D

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2005 at 01:02 AM »
i am having trouble watching this film over and over again. witty lines, superb cinematography.... in fact, overall this is a good masterpiece on dvd but with low replay value. no double dipping unless the new release is priced at P350 - P500.

pa-scan na lang cover artwork.

;D
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2005 at 01:10 AM by hemisphere »

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2005 at 01:13 AM »

i somehow agree but not as bad as The Killers or other earlier CC transfers. this film had an outstanding transfer (at that time) if you ask me. but of course, technical progress interferes and helps/brings old movies to greater heights.

8)
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2005 at 01:22 AM by hemisphere »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2005 at 06:55 PM »
i am having trouble watching this film over and over again. witty lines, superb cinematography.... in fact, overall this is a good masterpiece on dvd but with low replay value. no double dipping unless the new release is priced at P350 - P500.

pa-scan na lang cover artwork.

;D

Hemisphere you must not be tired and sleepy if you want to watch again this movie and it helps if you are passionately romantic.   ;) The movie will surely test your patience. The film follows closely the book by Milan Kundera except for the film's finale. Sad and happy ending.  :( :)

Classicman I like your remarks on this movie. And agree with you regarding CC's. I don't know why they have to put on the booklet and insert that thousands of dirt and grains were removed but its still present in the transfer of the movie. Let's hope that the Warner release will be much better than the CC.  8)
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2005 at 07:08 PM by keating »

Offline talisman30

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Experience Results
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2005 at 02:49 PM »
i'm collecting two Disc SEs so will definitely grab a copy for this title.  ;)
subscribe us at our pre-launch: www.streakdeals.com.ph
like us on facebook: streakdeals.com.ph