Author Topic: any suggestions? :)  (Read 2206 times)

Offline ranie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
any suggestions? :)
« on: Nov 10, 2005 at 06:06 PM »
 Greetings! My first post! :D

Just got bitten by the audiophile bug, not to mention a very persitent friend of mine (who is an audiophile by heart, by the way) insist that i start my HT set-up ASAP to really appreciate the beauty of sound and technology in the DVD world!

Like most of our members here, the heart is willing, but the pocket is still saving. ;D I am saving for the complete HT setup via the separates route not the theater in a box and I have a general idea on what to get in the very near future but as of now i really would just like to start with something small ( and not too heavy on the pocket) to wet my appetite for the big guns.

Any suggestions for a TRUE 5.1 channel powered speaker set with digital( optical/coaxial) input for my pioneer DV-533k? Was eyeing the next base 5.1 speakers but the problem is the digital input. Hope you guys can help... appreciate it very much! More power to pinoydvd.com!   

Offline leomar

• DVD Addict
  • Newbie HD ready...
  • Liked:
Re: any suggestions? :)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2005 at 06:41 PM »
Any suggestions for a TRUE 5.1 channel powered speaker set with digital( optical/coaxial) input for my pioneer DV-533k? Was eyeing the next base 5.1 speakers but the problem is the digital input. Hope you guys can help... appreciate it very much! More power to pinoydvd.com!   

logitech z-5500
but the price can already get you a yamaha rxv-750! ;D  :o

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 01:37 PM »
Greetings! My first post! :D

Just got bitten by the audiophile bug, not to mention a very persitent friend of mine (who is an audiophile by heart, by the way) insist that i start my HT set-up ASAP to really appreciate the beauty of sound and technology in the DVD world!

Like most of our members here, the heart is willing, but the pocket is still saving. ;D I am saving for the complete HT setup via the separates route not the theater in a box and I have a general idea on what to get in the very near future but as of now i really would just like to start with something small ( and not too heavy on the pocket) to wet my appetite for the big guns.

If you are looking for an amp with digital input, to match with 533 (I presume it has no 5.1 analog outs), it will be more expensive, adding to it the 5.1 speakers.

The other possibility is for you to get DVD with 5.1output and select your cheap 5.1 speaker system (like nextbase). And this will still be cheaper than going the way of amp with optical input. For the 5.1 speaker, I recommend the 89DV of rongxin, or the promac 5.1 system with big sub box.

You may check a philips 727 with DD/DTS analog out at 3.5k and rongxin89DV at 2.5k will only entail 6k. The 89DV sub should be oriented in optimal way.

But if you can control your itch ... save for the best and dont be swayed by your friend that DVD sound tech is that good - sooner or later, you will just go down to stereo listening.  ;D  ;D
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 02:28 PM »

Hmm, starting with something small then getting the big guns would actually cost you more, and not just time, money as well. I know it, I went on that path.

Before joining pinoydvd last year, I squeezed a HT (receiver, sub, 5 speakers) from a P30k budget and was never satisfied and kept upgrading. Most of the HT gears I sold were just 3 months old, and you have to factor in the depreciation & time spent trying to dispose of them.

But nevertheless, I learned a lot from all this anyway, so the learning experience was my consolation. The answer to this is to audition, audition, audition. then keep learning from the threads here in pinoydvd, the info you could gain is priceless. It will save you a lot too, in terms of time and money. Just dont get the upgrade bug like I did, it ended up costing me more  ;D

Offline kimosabe

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 02:56 PM »
dont rush yourself pare, one at time ang bili. sayan ang pera kasi sooner or later mag upgrade ka rin. start ka with AVR and front speakers, then center, tpos sub and finally surrounds.

after you completed your 5.1 set-up, audio set up naman  ;D
if life has failed you, leave the cross you nailed to

Offline ranie

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 03:01 PM »
 to :MAtZTER, aHobbit, leomar, KimosabE and the others who  sent in their two cents worth of advice to a newbie like me,  maraming salamat po! :)
 i guess having a forum like this is the best way to learn especially you guys sharing your experiences with us. Will read and learn muna. Like they say patience is a virtue! (ARGGH! I can't wait to have my HT set- up na!)   :P Will keep you guys posted. Till then, enjoy the weekend!

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 04:20 PM »
dont rush yourself pare, one at time ang bili. sayan ang pera kasi sooner or later mag upgrade ka rin. start ka with AVR and front speakers, then center, tpos sub and finally surrounds.

after you completed your 5.1 set-up, audio set up naman  ;D

HA HA HA after the hardwares comes the softwares naman, goodbye savings hello hobby ;D

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 05:18 PM »
HA HA HA after the hardwares comes the softwares naman, goodbye savings hello hobby ;D

"get thee away from me ..."  ;D
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 05:44 PM »
tgif sir ranie,
unsolicited advice / suggestions?
* trust your ears!
   bottomline, pag-uwi ikaw ang makikinig at mag-eenjoy (o madismaya) sa HT/audio setup mo.
   Its your hard-earned money that you'll be spending.
* take your time. its hard coz now gigil ka but its harder pag palpak ang nabili mo.
* some of us believe in "burn-in" break-in" pag brand new amp/avr, speakers cables ics etc
   dont expect your new gears to sound great agad. it may take awhile. be patient.
* read the manuals.
* experiment but be cautious.
* dami ka matutunan dito pinoydvd. spend some tiime to read the threads.
peace :)

« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2005 at 05:35 PM by awadeh »

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 06:09 PM »
Bro, as suggested dito sa forum take your time in auditioning and buy them one at a time if budget is tight.. pero for HT maganda/best  na entry level or preowned AVR even 5.1. my experience with HT if you buy those mid or high level models darating at darating yun time that new models will come out ( parang almost yearly ata  ;D ;D ;D ) and you'll have the itch to upgrade tapos resale value is almost half its price..

sori negative agad hehehehe..   

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 06:13 PM »

But if you can control your itch ... save for the best and dont be swayed by your friend that DVD sound tech is that good - sooner or later, you will just go down to stereo listening.  ;D  ;D

Agree from HT you go back to 2 channel sir. ;D ;D ;D

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #11 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 08:20 PM »
ranie madali lang bumili esp kung may money pero once nagmadali ka ang hirap ng pagsisisi. ;) Best you can do is to audition,not only in stores but maybe from fellow members who has the same setup you are eyeing to build. Tama si hans ,kung audio listening ang need mo nothing beats a dedicated 2 channel set-up. Yung ht simple na nyan ibuo based from my many sablay experiences(sablay kasi mahal masyado;over the budget ;D) Sa Ht ang essential lang naman ay AVR,MONITOR,SUB,and CENTER sp,yung front and rear kahit mga bookshelf lang ok na,same with cables and interconnects yung standard grade lang pwede na din.

Offline ranie

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2005 at 01:14 AM »
To all who have given their unsolicited advice, many thanks!!! :)

I am learning  a lot with what I been reading from this thread and from the other sites, but nothing sure beats reading the experiences of fellow pinoys with the same love for this hobby. Mahal nga at mahirap magsisi in the end, but its also nice to learn something in the process, di ba?. Hopefully it would not be THAT expensive a lesson. hehe! 

Thanks again for the support you guys!  I will update you asap. In the meantime, I will still continue reading and asking around. Hopefully time will permit me to audition some rcvrs this weekend.  Have a good weekend! ;D

Offline doorknob2k1

• Collector
  • Newbie here... be kind to me. =)
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2005 at 03:21 PM »
see?! what did i tell you?... dami ka matututunan dito... and people here are sooooooooooooo kind in helping out newbies like us.  :)  :)  :)

kaya... tara na! buy ka na ng avr!  ;D  ;D  ;D

then get a pair of wharfedale diamond 9.1... value for your money yan!  ;D

we are very lucky in the Philippines coz wharfedale priced their products way below the SRP in UK just like the diamond 9s.  wharf diamond 9.1 is at GBP180 = PHP17,100 pero we can get it here for PHP5,500 only.  what a bargain.

« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2005 at 03:25 PM by doorknob2k1 »

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2005 at 10:22 PM »
see?! what did i tell you?... dami ka matututunan dito... and people here are sooooooooooooo kind in helping out newbies like us.  :)  :)  :)

kaya... tara na! buy ka na ng avr!  ;D  ;D  ;D

then get a pair of wharfedale diamond 9.1... value for your money yan!  ;D

Ditto ;)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2005 at 02:10 PM »
My realizations for the past year about HT and audio:

For HT, just save up & get a good sub. You may skimp on the AVR or speakers and wires, entry- mid level would do if you dont have the budget, and like ricky said, bookshelf speakers pwede na. But get a GOOD SUB and spend for it, you wont regret it.

And for audio, as Masta Hans taught me, get a separate setup for 2 channel. Then prepare to really spend for wires, floorstanders, ampli, etc. Say goodbye to your savings!

Sayang, I wish I knew Masta Hans when I was starting my HT setup  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2005 at 02:31 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2005 at 04:02 PM »
My realizations for the past year about HT and audio:

For HT, just save up & get a good sub. You may skimp on the AVR or speakers and wires, entry- mid level would do if you dont have the budget, and like ricky said, bookshelf speakers pwede na. But get a GOOD SUB and spend for it, you wont regret it.

And for audio, as Masta Hans taught me, get a separate setup for 2 channel. Then prepare to really spend for wires, floorstanders, ampli, etc. Say goodbye to your savings!

Sayang, I wish I knew Masta Hans when I was starting my HT setup  ;D

Sir Matt,

Thanks for your kind words actually i also just learn this from PinoyDVd. :) :)