Author Topic: Speaker inputs / Prologic Questions  (Read 1112 times)

Offline es

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Speaker inputs / Prologic Questions
« on: Nov 18, 2005 at 04:59 AM »
Hi All,

My current Philips DVD player has analog stereo outputs and a digital coax output. No analog 5.1 output. Since a digital speaker set or AVR/Speakers setup is overkill for my needs, I plan to replace this with a player with analog 5.1 outputs and DD/DTS decoder connected to a 5.1 speaker set with 5.1 analog inputs. However, I can only afford to buy them one at a time. First the speakers then the new player.

My questions:
1. Can I connect the stereo output of my current player to the front L/R input of the new 5.1 speakers and get the low frequencies passed on to the subwoofer? Or does the subwoofer need it's own input to kick in? (I won't use the center, and rear speakers in the meantime while I save up for a new DVD player).

2. I read on the Dolby website that Dolby Digital is backwards compatible with pre-DD matrix encoding like Dolby Surround, Prologic, Prologic II, and Prologic IIx. It's stated there that any Dolby Digital decoder can decode Prologic channels(like those present in some Audio CDs and lots of VCDs). So I assume any DVD player with a DD decoder will decode Prologic surround? Or does it have to have a "Prologic" logo on it? Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Speaker inputs / Prologic Questions
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2005 at 05:08 AM »
For Q #1, you need a sub out. But there are some 5.1 speakers (PC speakers) w/c have selectors for 5 or 2 channels.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2005 at 01:33 PM »

2. I read on the Dolby website that Dolby Digital is backwards compatible with pre-DD matrix encoding like Dolby Surround, Prologic, Prologic II, and Prologic IIx. It's stated there that any Dolby Digital decoder can decode Prologic channels(like those present in some Audio CDs and lots of VCDs). So I assume any DVD player with a DD decoder will decode Prologic surround? Or does it have to have a "Prologic" logo on it? Can anyone confirm this?

Hmmm, it's been quite a long time since I used prologic.  Anyway, I think you will have to instruct or set the DVD player to default to prologic when you use a stereo CD or VCD.  I believe any DVD player has this backward compatibility. But only for prologic I.  Not prologic II or IIx.  These 2 are relatively newer formats, newer than DD so there's no backward compatbility to speak of.  You will have to check the manual or the front panel or sticker pasted on the front if the prologic II and IIx logos are there.  I think many recent DVD players already have prologic II capability.  Some may have IIx as well.

Offline es

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2005 at 04:41 AM »
Thanks guys... Some follow-up questions:

1. I was examining a Promac Pro 5.1 set at Abenson's there's a 2-way switch behind the unit that says AC3<>Stereo. Will this allow me to use the speakers using a stereo-only input signal and have the sub take care of the low frequencies?

2. Is this switch present in other budget 5.1 sets like the Xenon and Ganzklars?

3. My current player has prologic mode in the menu but it just sends it out in the stereo outputs and expects a prologic amp to be connected. Will a player with 5.1 analog outs decode and output prologic by itself? That is, send the surround signal to the two rear speakers?

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2005 at 07:23 PM »
Hi es.

For #1, it's likely that you'll get 2.1 w/ the Stereo switch (the 5.1 Logitech's does that).

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2005 at 11:06 AM »
Thanks guys... Some follow-up questions:

2. Is this switch present in other budget 5.1 sets like the Xenon and Ganzklars?

I don't recall seeing this switch in any generic players I had.  Only way to find out is to check out the back panel yourself.  I think the switch is just a downmix from 5.1 to stereo and can be done in one of the audio mode choices from the DVD's navigational menu.

3. My current player has prologic mode in the menu but it just sends it out in the stereo outputs and expects a prologic amp to be connected. Will a player with 5.1 analog outs decode and output prologic by itself? That is, send the surround signal to the two rear speakers?

Yes, one with 5.1 analog outs should be able to output in analog what it has decoded from its internal decoders.

« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2005 at 11:31 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline es

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2005 at 09:35 AM »
Thanks guys,

I bought an Xtreme TH-8866 5.1 speaker set, it's enough for the area I'm installing to. It also has the AC3<>stereo switch so I am currently using it as a 2.1.

Now my next problem is whether to buy a new DVD player w/5.1 or just buy a generic AVReceiver. Please advise:

1. If I connect my current player to an AVR with digital coax, will the digital connection also carry prologic(CD/VCD) in addition to DD? Or do I also have to connect the analog stereo output to the AVR to get prologic?

2. Any suggestions for a low-cost (max.P2,500) AVR w/ DD,DTS, Prologic I,II,IIx, and digital coax input?
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2005 at 09:43 AM by es »

Offline GC

• Collector
  • sparc
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2006 at 11:16 AM »
Thanks guys,

I bought an Xtreme TH-8866 5.1 speaker set, it's enough for the area I'm installing to. It also has the AC3<>stereo switch so I am currently using it as a 2.1.

Now my next problem is whether to buy a new DVD player w/5.1 or just buy a generic AVReceiver. Please advise:

1. If I connect my current player to an AVR with digital coax, will the digital connection also carry prologic(CD/VCD) in addition to DD? Or do I also have to connect the analog stereo output to the AVR to get prologic?

2. Any suggestions for a low-cost (max.P2,500) AVR w/ DD,DTS, Prologic I,II,IIx, and digital coax input?

I haven't seen generic AV receivers with DD,DTS or even Prologic II, IIx decoding capability and digital coax input. The generic 5.1 amps i have seen only have the 5.1 inputs compatible with the 5.1 outputs of your player. Are there now generic amps with the digital coax input? If you find one, please let me know also coz i'm also interested.

Thanks!

Pro Deo et Patria

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2006 at 04:54 PM »
Same here,  have not seen any generic receivers or integrated with DTS, prologic II decoding.  These require paying the royalties to the format owners.  China generics don't pay any royalty.