Author Topic: Stereo Center Speaker  (Read 1529 times)

Offline m0b1u5

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Music is everywhere... we just have to listen...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stereo Center Speaker
« on: Nov 19, 2005 at 12:56 PM »
Sirs,
 I would like to try this setup for my integrated amp. 

my speakers are rated at 6-ohms.  my questions are ;
 - what will be the resistive load as seen by the amp?
 - can i apply this for the rear speakers in an HT set-up?
 - will this work?  ::)

thank you very much!
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2005 at 01:04 PM by dennispm »
Know Thyself!

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: Stereo Center Speaker
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2005 at 09:52 AM »
This looks like a quasi-bridge set-up.  You're still using the L and R channels to feed L and R speakers in the right phase, but you're bridging the positives of both channels to drive a center speaker.  I don't know if there's a voltage potential between the positives of both channels to allow a flow of current to drive a speaker.  I haven't tried this, but I recall hearing an audio guy in my college days say this is possible. Like a bridged stereo or summed mono set-up.  (I think the 3rd speaker is supposed to be connected to the left positive and right negative, not to both positives.)   Where did you get this schematic?  If the source of your schematic says it can be done, then you can always try.  Start with low volumes first.  With regards how the impedance would look to the amp,  all I know is that in a true bridge configuration, the speaker load impedance will be halved as seen by each amp.  On your set-up, I think the impedance seen by each channel will be halved as well or even lower.  Half the third speaker's load will look like in parallel with each L and R speakers, so it could be less than half as seen by each amp.    So before trying this out, as a caution, I suggest you use stereo amps that can handle low loads.
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2005 at 10:21 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline m0b1u5

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Music is everywhere... we just have to listen...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2005 at 11:59 AM »
     I've tried the setup yesterday morning before going to the office and it worked using two WH-2 centers for the L & R channels and a Wharf Diamond Center for the third. Initial finding was, the bass from the WH-2 centers were tamed a little.
     Played only one track (Michael Johnson's acoustic of 'I Will Always Love You') and from my initial observation, I can still hear music from the L&R but for the center, only the instruments can be heard..

Thanks sir avp.

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2005 at 12:00 PM by dennispm »
Know Thyself!

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2005 at 02:41 PM »
     I've tried the setup yesterday morning before going to the office and it worked using two WH-2 centers for the L & R channels and a Wharf Diamond Center for the third. Initial finding was, the bass from the WH-2 centers were tamed a little.
     Played only one track (Michael Johnson's acoustic of 'I Will Always Love You') and from my initial observation, I can still hear music from the L&R but for the center, only the instruments can be heard..

Thanks sir avp.

Based on your description, the center speaker does a Left Minus Right or Right Minus Left signal passing.  So you hear only the instruments and the vocals are cancelled.  IF it were a Left Plus Right , you should be able to hear the vocals more as that is what is often common between the L and R channels.   Center speakers actually behave more as L+R, so the vocals are dead centered.   

Offline Chito C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2006 at 04:34 PM »
i connected my spare center speaker as follows:

speaker                mini-compo (ampli)

+                      Left +

Offline Chito C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2006 at 04:35 PM »
i connected my spare center speaker as follows:

speaker   to         mini-compo (ampli)

+                      Left +