Author Topic: Is it safe to connect an 6ohm speaker to 8 ohm per channel receiver/amp?  (Read 3987 times)

Offline forest

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Mga sir,

newbie here, I just bought reciver/amplifier (Konzert AV-300R).
1.My question is: Hindi ba ma-da-damage ang amplier or speaker kung i-connect ko ung Sony component speaker ko rated 6 ohm sa receiver/amplifer ko na 8 ohm per channel?

2.Bumili din kasi ako ng Konzert 5 speaker set (Konzert HT-501) rated 8 ohms per speaker, ano ba mas magandang setup(for sounds and home theater), kelangan ko bang i-series yung dalawa kung extra Sony component speaker(6 ohms) sa front speaker ng Konzert spaeker (8ohm)?
« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2005 at 01:03 PM by forest »

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Its not safe-- but if you are sure that you will always be conscious about the mismatch and you will not pump so much power into it, okey lang yan.  ;) the danger lies when you power up with that 6 ohms speaker hooked, baka umusok ang konzert mo. Check also whats the lowest and highest impedance limit of your amp. if it can handle up to 14 ohms then you can connect the 6ohms and 8ohms speakers on series.
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline forest

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
my manual only contains this information:

Continous POwer Output (Surround Mode)

Front ........... 80W +  80W (1KHz, THD 0.6%, 8ohms)
Center ......... 80W (1KHz, THD 0.6%, 8ohms)
Surround ..... 80W +  80W (1KHz, THD 0.6%, 8ohms)

Sorry, dont know how to read this...

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
I dont know - but if this is the only info available medyo delikado nga. Buti sana kung me protective auto shut off ang konzert just like most receivers in the market that is triggered when the amp can no longer hold the load and so it is a lot safer to perform trial and error.

If your amp does not have this protective shut off, you should not have any margin of error during your trial and error or else --KABOOM! ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline forest

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
thanks sir jerix  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2005 at 09:43 AM by forest »

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
The impedance of the speaker actually varies so an nominal 8ohm speaker can go as low as 4 ohms at certain frequencies. As such, this is not a big issue. It will be much more serious if you have a 4ohm speaker and connect it to a 8ohm amp. This forces amp to pump in more current due to load current increase. Bad for the amp.

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
The impedance of the speaker actually varies so an nominal 8ohm speaker can go as low as 4 ohms at certain frequencies. As such, this is not a big issue. It will be much more serious if you have a 4ohm speaker and connect it to a 8ohm amp. This forces amp to pump in more current due to load current increase. Bad for the amp.

bullseye! ;D ;D ;D
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline forest

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Thnks!  :)

Offline elvenears

• Collector
  • dont drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly!!!
  • Liked:
i have a technics su-6 luma na to kaya baka di nyo na alam tong model na to ..its 8ohms...i also have a wharfedale diamond 9.5 6ohms naman to ........on my opinion the sensitivity of the speakers will play a big role as well kung masisira ba ang amp mo or not....mas mataas na sensitivity ng speaker mo mas madaling i-drive yan ng amp mo............pero tama ang sabi nila Rascal at jerix....kung 8 ohms ang amp mo 8 ohms dapat ang speakers mo....i dont know the right computation pero pag 8 ohms ang amp mo at 4 ohms ang speakers mo the amp will have to work doubly hard to drive the speakers ...iinit yan nang matindi kasi double the current yan .....at kung ang amp mo ay walang protective shut-off KABOOM!!!! talaga yan....yung sakin alaga sa blower ang amp ko.....ang problema nga lang maingay yung blower.....pero lastly yun set-up ko nakikinig ako ng 2 hours diretso pero wala namang nangyayaring di maganda.....pero takle note na ang ratio ko ay "8ohm amp is to 6 ohm speaker....di ko lang alam pag 4 ohm speaker na
from the antigravity defying force of an immortal jedi

Offline JFBagadiong

• Collector
  • Attack!!!
  • Liked:
Sir, just to share my early expiriences in hooking up a 4 ohms drivers to a 6 - 16 ohms mosfet power amp.

I used to have a mosfet power amp branded as LO-D model HMA-4590, it is rated at 6-16 ohms at 55W/ch, I used this to drive my low drivers, one time I accidentally hooked up a 4ohms 500W dual active crown woofers. without knowing it, after a few minutes in operation, my LO-D is literally in flames...

After learning from this mistakes, I make it a point to take a look at the drivers rating before hooking it up with the amp. my moto bacame "when in doubt check it out"...

Lesson 101 never put your amp in danger (specially the expensive ones) when your in doubt about the compatibility of your drivers (eg. impedance, sensitivity, power etc...) dont sacrifice by experimenting, if problem persist, consult a technician ;)           

Offline s2kov

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Is the dual driver wired in parallel?

Sir, just to share my early expiriences in hooking up a 4 ohms drivers to a 6 - 16 ohms mosfet power amp.

I used to have a mosfet power amp branded as LO-D model HMA-4590, it is rated at 6-16 ohms at 55W/ch, I used this to drive my low drivers, one time I accidentally hooked up a 4ohms 500W dual active crown woofers. without knowing it, after a few minutes in operation, my LO-D is literally in flames...

After learning from this mistakes, I make it a point to take a look at the drivers rating before hooking it up with the amp. my moto bacame "when in doubt check it out"...

Lesson 101 never put your amp in danger (specially the expensive ones) when your in doubt about the compatibility of your drivers (eg. impedance, sensitivity, power etc...) dont sacrifice by experimenting, if problem persist, consult a technician ;)           

Offline JFBagadiong

• Collector
  • Attack!!!
  • Liked:
Is the dual driver wired in parallel?

Yes sir, 2 crown woofers (rated ea. at 8 ohms/250watts) hooked up in parallel and enclosed in one DIY isobaric buffle design...