Author Topic: Arcam+Dynaudio?  (Read 2312 times)

Offline jeandeboissy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Arcam+Dynaudio?
« on: Feb 07, 2006 at 03:47 PM »
Hi everybody in the PR,
I am planning to buy a Home Theater in Manila in 3 weeks arriving from Europe fo my house in Negros. My speakers should be Dynaudio Audience 82 + Audience 42W + Audience 122C +1 Sub Dynaudio Sub 300 or Velodyne CHT 10R/ 12R or Rel Stampede/ Strata 5 (Room 20 sqm). I would use the system for 60-70 % Music and the rest for Cinema.
For the electronics I have been reading any kind of forums in French and in English and I got some tips for the Dynaudios:
Difficult to drive
Best AVR Receivers and DVD players recommended, Cambridge, Rotel, Sherwood, Arcam.
Do you have any experience or comments here in the RP? and where can I find the Arcams in Manila? Are they solid enough for a tropical climate?
Thanks a lot for your advises.
Jean-Claude

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
Re: Arcam+Dynaudio?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2006 at 12:15 PM »
Welcome! well you can also add harman kardon, rotel and nad to the list of receivers you can try with your beloved dynaudios (pretty nice speakers you have there btw ;D)

As for for your question regarding where to find arcams here in manila I do know one shop that can order a specific model for you, since you do have time constraints this might not be a good option for you. If you pass by makati, and you're familiar with the place or know someone who is, you can try Architectural in greenbelt (they carry harman kardon receivers) and their staff is very accomodating. or you can try Spectra and Sound Dimension in park square. Sound dimension in particular has rotel receivers readily available hooked up to b&ws and they should be able to drive your dynaudios as well. Hope this helps.

Offline jeandeboissy

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2006 at 02:36 PM »
Thanks John,
I am no longer familiar with Makati but I will find my way. It's seems that in terms of availability It's easier to find Rotel than Arcam in Manila.
I havent bought my Dynaudios yet. It should be in Listening in Style in Shangri-La mall but I will take also advantage to hear the B&Ws in Makati.
Have a good day.
Jean-Claude

Online synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 921
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2006 at 11:00 AM »
power them with at least 125watts per channel in order to hear the Dynes at their best.  A/V receivers will do a so-so job but to really hear them sing you must pair them with an outboard solid state amp. If budget permits go seperates and use a high current 5 channel amp to power them.  I got great results using 200Watts rms per channel. 
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Online Oloap

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2006 at 11:31 AM »
Jean,

You may want to get in touch with Mr. Melvyn Chua number (632)-9123771 or cellphone 09195370652. He is the distributor of arcam and mission speakers in the country. Hope this will help.

Offline jeandeboissy

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2006 at 03:14 PM »
Thanks a lot everybody! So far, because of my musical priority, now my choice is narrowing down to 2 brands : Arcam and Rotel.
I think I will choose an AVR receiver because of my budget. Anyway both models, the Arcam AVR 300 and the Rotel RSX-1067 are given 100 watts with 7 channels driven and 120 watts for 2 channels driven which should be enough for a room of 20 sqm, all the more since I am planning to add a subwoofer relieving the amplifier of the job for the bass.
The Arcam has a perfecr match with its brother the DVD player AV 79 but for Rotel I don't know with the DVD players RDV 1060 and 1050.
Anyway I'll be in Manila now in less than 3 weeks but sadly I don't think I will hear these 2 electronics with the Dynaudios as the dealers are not the same. In L.I.S, I will hear them with the Yamaha RVX 2600 supposed to be very good but less musical than the two British AVRs.
At the end it will be my wallet and the avaibility of these items that will decide.
Thanks again.
JC

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2006 at 11:38 AM »
My good friend once used a Yamaha & Dynaudio (audience 72) combination and he wasnt impressed with its performance in music. So I recommended him the Harman Kardon. He got a HK635 and the audience 72 was able to sing well.

In my case, I use a HK630 and I recently got a Rotel power amp. Rotels really have a lot of power and I tried bi amping it with the HK630 and the sound was even better. HK sounds very good in audio (music) but Yamaha still sound better IMHO for HT, but lacks power. So my suggestion would be to get a Yamaha receiver (rxv1600 would do) and add rotel power amps to bring out the best in your Audience 82.

Just my 2 cents  :)

Offline jeandeboissy

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Arcam+Dynaudio? or Rotel?
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2006 at 02:05 PM »
Thanks,
I changed my mind already as Arcam is available only on order in Manila so following advice, I am planning to go separate with an amp Rotel 5 channels RMB 1075 and a Rotel pre-amp RSP 1068. Some French users also told me to take the Dyns Audience 72 SE instead of the 82 for a room of 20 sqms.
Is it a good combination for you? or is it better if I use a Yamaha 1600 as a preamp?
By the way how do I connect a satellite decoder Dream on the Rotel preamp?
Thanks again and regards.
JC

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2006 at 03:42 PM »
Hi again jean-claude,Am glad that you considered rotel, for this is one good brand to own for a very long time. I am also using rotel rb 985mkII 5x100watts power amp and the previouse model RSP 1066 for the processor paired with JBL xti series and all i can say is WOW, both for audio as well for video applications. You may also want to try the Rotels paired with the B&W speakers since they are well designed for each other ;) If you have the time maybe you can audition my system with your kind of music here at my place.Try to visit it at the Ht gallery under RICKY's PLACE so you'll have an idea of my set-up. :)

Offline jeandeboissy

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2006 at 05:44 PM »
Thanks Ricky,
Pls give me your address to listen to your system.
Thanks
JC

Online synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 921
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2006 at 07:27 AM »
I would use the system for 60-70 % Music and the rest for Cinema.

if you are more into music than I suggest you move up to the Contour Line instead of the Audience.  The difference in price is double but for music applications the Audience can not hold a candle against the Contour.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2006 at 07:31 AM by synchro_01 »
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
Re: Arcam+Dynaudio? or Rotel?
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2006 at 11:31 AM »
Thanks,
I changed my mind already as Arcam is available only on order in Manila so following advice, I am planning to go separate with an amp Rotel 5 channels RMB 1075 and a Rotel pre-amp RSP 1068. Some French users also told me to take the Dyns Audience 72 SE instead of the 82 for a room of 20 sqms.
Is it a good combination for you? or is it better if I use a Yamaha 1600 as a preamp?

My friend uses a Dyn audience 72 on a very big area (over 60sqm), its his living room & dining room. It works great but nothing beats a smaller enclosed room, specially dedicated HT rooms.

In my experience Yamaha has the best HT DSPs, but lack power. So its my plan in the future to change my AVR to Yamaha with my Rotel powering the speakers. I have no experience with the Rotel pre amp though. And you might prefer matching Rotel amps and pre amps for its look.

Try auditioning the Rotels at Ricky's place. I have been there a couple of times and I love the sound of his Rotels for HT.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2006 at 09:22 PM »
Thanks John,
I am no longer familiar with Makati but I will find my way. It's seems that in terms of availability It's easier to find Rotel than Arcam in Manila.
I havent bought my Dynaudios yet. It should be in Listening in Style in Shangri-La mall but I will take also advantage to hear the B&Ws in Makati.
Have a good day.
Jean-Claude

Listening in Style Shangrila (5th floor) sells B&W speaker also. If they dont have stock you can go to the 4th floor and you will find a B&W showroom. Beside the B&W showroom is Sights and Sound and across is AVDI which sells high end audio-video equipment. You can try also try 5th ave electronics, Abenson and Ambassador which are all aplliance stores.

Offline jeandeboissy

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2006 at 02:21 PM »
Thanks everybody for your advises. I'll be in the RP soon and it helps me as I have a limited time in Manila.
JC

Offline mYKi

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2006 at 03:55 PM »
Jean-Claude,

If you plan to pass by Ricky's, contact me as well since we are neighbors. We live in the same condo. You can listen to my NAD+Marantz+Rotel+Dynaudio combination.

Myki

Thanks Ricky,
Pls give me your address to listen to your system.
Thanks
JC