Author Topic: Rainbow Effect on DLP Projectors  (Read 5066 times)

Offline im2tenz

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: Rainbow Effect on DLP Projectors
« Reply #30 on: Mar 11, 2006 at 10:10 PM »
Hi guys,

Where can i get EMP-S3? How much? Thanks..

Btw, hope this info hleps...

Q43: What is the difference between business projectors and home theater (HT) projectors? Can I use business projectors for watching movies/TV?
A43: There are many differences between the two: First, data projectors have a much higher peak lumen output than do HT projectors, while HT projectors offer much better contrast ratio – i.e., the range between the darkest black and the brightest white. In places where an ideally dark environment is not achievable (e.g., churches, offices, schools, etc.), the data projector can project a clear and viewable image, whereas in a cinema setting for movie viewing, the HT projector can fit in as many shades of gray as possible in its range, while still reproducing absolute black. Second, Optoma's data projectors are native 4x3 (mostly XGA 1024x768), conforming to VESA computer display standards, while HT projectors are native 16x9 for full-screen HDTV and DVD viewing. Third, data projectors have less color wheel segments than HT projectors, resulting in inferior color reproduction. Data projectors can be used for watching movies, since they do have a movie mode than provides less washed-out blacks and better color accuracy; however, due to the lower number of color wheel segments, data projectors exhibit more rainbow effect, especially in fast-action scenes since the data projector was designed more for static image applications and computer files (e.g., like Excel) in mind. Overall, HT projectors offer a more realistic movie experience, with better black levels and color, less rainbow effect, and the ability to watch 16x9 DVDs and HDTV in full screen. (XGA projectors will have black bars at the top and bottom.)

Theater is Life
Film is Art
Television is Furniture

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #31 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 10:24 PM »
Hi guys,

Where can i get EMP-S3? How much? Thanks..

Btw, hope this info hleps...

Q43: What is the difference between business projectors and home theater (HT) projectors? Can I use business projectors for watching movies/TV?
A43: There are many differences between the two: First, data projectors have a much higher peak lumen output than do HT projectors, while HT projectors offer much better contrast ratio – i.e., the range between the darkest black and the brightest white. In places where an ideally dark environment is not achievable (e.g., churches, offices, schools, etc.), the data projector can project a clear and viewable image, whereas in a cinema setting for movie viewing, the HT projector can fit in as many shades of gray as possible in its range, while still reproducing absolute black. Second, Optoma's data projectors are native 4x3 (mostly XGA 1024x768), conforming to VESA computer display standards, while HT projectors are native 16x9 for full-screen HDTV and DVD viewing. Third, data projectors have less color wheel segments than HT projectors, resulting in inferior color reproduction. Data projectors can be used for watching movies, since they do have a movie mode than provides less washed-out blacks and better color accuracy; however, due to the lower number of color wheel segments, data projectors exhibit more rainbow effect, especially in fast-action scenes since the data projector was designed more for static image applications and computer files (e.g., like Excel) in mind. Overall, HT projectors offer a more realistic movie experience, with better black levels and color, less rainbow effect, and the ability to watch 16x9 DVDs and HDTV in full screen. (XGA projectors will have black bars at the top and bottom.)

I think what you are referring here are DLP projectors.  Somehow with the higher contrast ratio of Home theater projectors, it has better color accuracy.  But then the best thing there is to audition and then decide what you want.   

You are the end user who will benefit from it so decide what you desire personally not just be influenced by reviews of other people. Your preference might be different than other people. 

BTW, the price of the replacement lamp might also be a factor of your decision.   

I recommend you audition at All Visual and Lights Systems at 3/F Farmers Cubao.  They can let you audition their projectors as long as the model you are looking for is available.  It is really hard to audition projectors coz you really need a big dark room for use.  Plus you also need a projector screen to see and judge the projector's potential. 

Good luck on your PJ hunting! ;D

Just my 2 cents bro!
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2006 at 10:36 PM by nerveblocker »

Offline im2tenz

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 10:28 PM »
There was a demo of the X2 at Megamall and tried to watch long in their King Kong movie.  At a distance, there was minimal notice of rainbows.  I brought my Starwars Episode 1 DVD with me and tried it in their projector.  I was watching the dark parts with Obi wan and Anakin with their lightsabers...man after watching sometime, I was blinking my eyes to remove the rainbows I see and while I was blinking the rainbows began to be more prominent.  Gave me a headache afterwards.  Oh well, might settle for LCD. :-\

Sir,
What is the cause if the picture is too dark, like the hair or other scenes are like blured or charcoaled? This occurs only in dark scenes. I am using a Ep716 Optoma, not a HT but a multi media pj, S-video in connection. Do I need to change my connecton to VGA-Comp"? If yes, where can I buy? I am new here, tried to calibrate but still gets the same effect, is this what other people are saying as 'madilim" compared to other pj's.? Thanks!!
Theater is Life
Film is Art
Television is Furniture

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #33 on: Mar 24, 2006 at 06:40 AM »
legend-  Sir, is your PJ DLP?  The technology has better blacks than LCD daw.  I dunno din if the better blacks would result into a darker picture.  I have auditioned an epson home theater projector with only 1200 lumens but I really find it dark that's why I got a multimedia one.   I cannot speak for DLP users if they also experience that coz what I have is an LCD one.  I do not notice though what you have experienced in my PJ.

Maybe try to darken your room a little more if ever try to achieve a movie theater type of darkness.  Also try to adjust maybe your focusing to sharpen the image.   And also try to buy a component to VGA cable.  When I switched on progressive scan, the image got clearer and more vivid.  It might do wonders for your PJ.

Got the cable from Meridian Audio 09178986783.  Hope this helps. ;)

Offline im2tenz

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Mar 24, 2006 at 02:37 PM »
legend-  Sir, is your PJ DLP?  The technology has better blacks than LCD daw.  I dunno din if the better blacks would result into a darker picture.  I have auditioned an epson home theater projector with only 1200 lumens but I really find it dark that's why I got a multimedia one.   I cannot speak for DLP users if they also experience that coz what I have is an LCD one.  I do not notice though what you have experienced in my PJ.

Maybe try to darken your room a little more if ever try to achieve a movie theater type of darkness.  Also try to adjust maybe your focusing to sharpen the image.   And also try to buy a component to VGA cable.  When I switched on progressive scan, the image got clearer and more vivid.  It might do wonders for your PJ.

Got the cable from Meridian Audio 09178986783.  Hope this helps. ;)

NERVEBLOCKER- Thanks so much for the helpful tips. Yes, mine is a DLP, and also a multimedia series., My room is totally dark now, this was already a dark room, just bought a pj, with still my 38' conventional tv.  will switch to VGA-COMP, will keep you posted. And hopefully I get to show my pics here soon.
Theater is Life
Film is Art
Television is Furniture