Author Topic: XENON DVD player  (Read 98639 times)

Offline Mitsurugi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • DeathBlade
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
XENON DVD player
« on: Jul 08, 2002 at 12:47 PM »
Got d Xenon dvd player at Automatic center
for 6,600k
multi region na sya
w/ dts decoder
1 yr warranty
can play PAL/NTSC

made in china sya
and ang service center nya ay sa
Pioneer service center sa Guadalupe.
can play r1 n r3 no problem.

Offline caohyde

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • how now brown cao...
  • Liked:
Re:XENON DVD player
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2002 at 05:24 PM »
hi mitsurugi,

i have a question 'coz in in this rellentless search for a DVD player, would you suggest that the xenon could be a good buy?  ;D

caohyde :D

Offline griv

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2002 at 07:35 AM »
mitsurugi, excuse me for butting in ha...but i also own a xenon, so i might as well answer caohyde's question, but before that let me congratulate you on your purchase  ;)

caohyde, i definitely think that the xenon is a good buy, why? well first off it has what most of the generics have, plus it is supported by pioneer...aesthitically, it is one of the better looking generics around...aside from that, konzert has been tried and tested by quite a lot of members and i for one think that the xenon is a rebadge but newer version of the konzert dvd player...

it's hasn't given me any problems so far...so yes, it is well worth the money... 8)
When you are with me, I'm free...I'm careless...I believe...

Offline Mitsurugi

• Apprentice
  • DeathBlade
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2002 at 05:13 PM »
Lets put this way caohyde,

I'm treating my xenon as if its worth
like a top of the line dvd player
(well i do that to all of my things!)

it has not yet given me problems
just take good care of it.

Griv, good to know theres someone else who has xenon too!!
when did you acquire yours? did it have a 1 yr. warranty too?

thanks!

Offline caohyde

• DVD Addict
  • how now brown cao...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2002 at 08:46 PM »
mitsurugi and griv,

thanks for the feedback guys. i really appreciate it. :D

i'm checking out the china players kasi if its going to be worth the bargain that it is, or if i should hold-off for a bit and save a little more to get a branded player. i read in the other threads that the china stuff aren't all that bad, in fact, some of them better the features of the branded stuff.  :) the usual question that bogs my mind is, how reliable these players are?   ???

anyway, i'll be checking out the player's pricing tom. i might get a good deal, i'll be in the raon/quiapo area tom anyway, so might as well. ;D

thanks again guys for the feedback, i really appreciate it. ;D

Offline RDyENT

• Collector
  • What's up doc?
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2002 at 12:29 PM »
Hi, I'm new here. I got the xenon player as my first player yesterday. :) One advice is to get your unit from Abenson ;) who gets it direct from the supplier and offers 1 year warranty which was important for me unlike Automatic center (They only offer 6mos for parts and 1 yr for labor) :-\. I tried it using a R1 Planet of the Apes and a R3 Behind Enemy Lines. It played well.  :DI liked the zoom function (up to 4x) and the scan (forward and review up to 8x speeds). It has an equalizer function and sounds well connected to my old JVC stero component with its VSS downmix ;D. The manual is a bit jumbled and spelling errors abound. ??? My problem is i can't find the panel bright option (mispelled as PANAL bright in the manual)in the setup menu to change the brightness of the display.  :-\One more rant is the play/pause button, its joined with the stop button and it also serves as the enter button. I had problem accessing the enhanced viewing mode features of Planet of the Apes, since you need to press the enter button, instead it just pauses the scene.  :-[Can you help me out? I tried looking for the manufacturer's website but no luck!  :'( Do you have the same problems too?

Offline RDyENT

• Collector
  • What's up doc?
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2002 at 09:01 PM »
Further tinkering with the xenon player revealed that it can display jpg pictures. The player can display it as thumbnails if you press menu and as a slideshow if you press play. You can use the zoom function up to 200 pct(??), and even rotate or flip the pictures too with the arrow buttons. I even tried putting in a CD-R with mixture of mp3 and jpg files and was able to read both types of files well. Do other DVD players have this function too? ???

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2002 at 12:55 AM »

Do other DVD players have this function too? ???

welcome to the forum rdyent  :D
thanks for the brief review...
it seem that this features (mp3 and jpeg) are becoming a standard to dvd players.
i have this features in my apex 600 too!

bently
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline rrr

• Apprentice
  • i'll have to buy the white album all over again
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2002 at 01:15 AM »
went south after a week (2 disks played)
>:(

Offline RDyENT

• Collector
  • What's up doc?
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2002 at 08:37 AM »
I finally solved my ENTER/Play/pause button problem while trying to access the featurettes during the enhanced viewing mode of the R1 Planet of the Apes (you cannot use the play/pause button to select the icon). You must use the number buttons to access the featurette, in this case press the number 1 button. :D ;)

Offline Mitsurugi

• Apprentice
  • DeathBlade
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 16, 2002 at 02:01 PM »
Rdyent,

havent had that chance to check that feature out yet
anyway i'm happy naman with the performance.

and thanks for the additional info! :)

Offline RDyENT

• Collector
  • What's up doc?
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 16, 2002 at 08:44 PM »
Hey Mistsurugi,

You and Griv helped convince me on buying the Xenon instead of other generic dvd players. Thanks!!! ;D

For me, the XENON DVD player is a good buy!!

Rdyent

Offline Mitsurugi

• Apprentice
  • DeathBlade
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2002 at 11:42 AM »
no problem Rdyent!
anytime! :)

havent tried the equalizer function yet,
how does it go?

Offline griv

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2002 at 11:53 AM »
rdyent congrats on your purchase...and i'm glad i was of help in your decision to purchase...

mitsurugi it does have an equalizer function, though can't recall off hand how to activate it...it's also nice to know that our "generic" units have some functions that branded ones don't...take for instance the volume function, ours have this but the pioneer 7xx model which i helped my mom purchase does not have it...i assume that xenon and most other generics have a built in amplifier...  :)
When you are with me, I'm free...I'm careless...I believe...

Offline Mitsurugi

• Apprentice
  • DeathBlade
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 17, 2002 at 06:00 PM »
korek ka dyan griv!

may built in dts and ac3 decoder pa!  :)

Offline RDyENT

• Collector
  • What's up doc?
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 17, 2002 at 07:43 PM »
Mitsurugi,

The equalizer function works by pressing the CLEAR button on the remote. The first press activates the setting mode, here you can personalize your settings. Next, is the display mode followed by the equalizer on status. If you press the clear button again, it turns the equalizer off.

Rdyent

Offline RDyENT

• Collector
  • What's up doc?
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 17, 2002 at 10:16 PM »
takumi_fujiwara,

did u read the pm i sent you?

Rdyent

Offline jaytl

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 19, 2002 at 03:00 PM »
yup. m confused too. which is the best among SAST, sosing and xenon? pls advice, want to buy soon.

Offline RDyENT

• Collector
  • What's up doc?
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 19, 2002 at 09:38 PM »
I'm sorry I haven't checked the other players, but after a lengthy review of the posts on this player and other generic players, xenon came up on top. The 1 yr warranty makes me feel SAFE. The only thing lacking in this player is a separate enter button. The nuisance is when your accessing the special features in some DVDs but you can circumvent this by pressing the number buttons.

I Love my XENON

rdyent

Offline onedown

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 19, 2002 at 10:23 PM »
takumi fujiwara, indeed, the sast seems to be the favorite of many members here among the "generics." however, if i'm not mistaken (folks, please correct me if i'm wrong) the xenon was not yet out in the market when the review was made.

like some other members here, i suspect that the xenon is a rebadged konzert. passed by anson's earlier and saw inexpensive subs bearing the brandname xenon. it looks exactly like the konzert subs available in the market a few months ago. i believe the model number is even the same.

thanks and hope this helps.
peace man!

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 19, 2002 at 11:35 PM »
Again and again and again...

SAST IS NOT A GENERIC DVD PLAYER!!!!!

If SAST is a generic player, then therefore, AIWA, JVC, Panasonic, Samsung, Kenwood, SHARP and some other dvd players are also Generic. Get the logic?

I'll explain if you dont.

Offline rrr

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jul 24, 2002 at 02:38 AM »
Hello All!
I just got the xenon from the local service center outlet of pioneer. It seems to work fine. I just hope it was just a case of infant mortality of one of the electrical components inside. As per my last post it died a week after I bought it.  I was testing a Utada Hikaru dvd when it hung as I was going throught the menu, then went dead.
It went in the shop last saturday, so it took about ten day's turn around. I guess at these prices there a bound to be lemons. So 365 minus 17  , I have got about 348 days, mas o menos, of warranty left.  

Best regards to y'all
(BTW some lemons are sweet.)

rrr ;)

Offline enjo

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jul 26, 2002 at 10:07 AM »
To all Xenon owners, how will I switch from DD to DTS using my remote? Want to try if it can decode DTS track. Thanks...

Offline RDyENT

• Collector
  • What's up doc?
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 26, 2002 at 10:49 AM »
Enjo,

Try pressing the audio button on the remote continously until you reach the DTS track. Hope it helps!

Rdyent

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: Jul 26, 2002 at 11:02 AM »
Enjo  During play click the audio until you get to the DTS track...however make sure that the disc you have has an existing DTS track. ;)
Other discs have to be pre programmed..for e.g. Disney's Dinosaur,The Musketeer,T2,Red Violin and Haunting....you'll have to set up the Audio menu to DTS prior to starting the movie, and teh audio function gets committed to the track(DTS or DD 5.1) hence, will not function once the movie starts. ;)
Enjoy ;) ;D

Offline enjo

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 26, 2002 at 11:10 AM »
Thanks to all...More Power Pinoy DVD

Offline dB

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jul 29, 2002 at 08:45 PM »
Hi, very helpful site.

Just want to know if this Xenon is macro free.

Offline dB

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jul 29, 2002 at 08:51 PM »
I also saw new dvd players at sm appliance center mega, UNION UKD 988/UKD 888 at 5,995.  Has anyone heard of them?  I'll appreciate some feedback if there are already.

Offline @tomicZen

• Collector
  • AtomicZen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jul 31, 2002 at 05:09 PM »
I am planning to buy a XENON DVD player next week.  ;DWhere can I buy ba? with good price and warranty. Ano ba complete specs ng XENON compare to SAST? ano ba meron ang XENON na wla ang SAST vice versa? Accepted ba ang XENON to all Pioneer Service Center? What are the problems you encountered already with this unit? Pasensya na kayo ha, matananong lang tlaga ako. I just want to be sure kasi na okay ang bibilin kong DVD player, yung hindi sasakit ang ulo ko  >:(. thanks  :D
@tomicZen

Offline rrr

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jul 31, 2002 at 09:00 PM »
they used to say: " if u want a guarantee, buy a toaster"
xenon offers a good one year warranty. and I think this is a big difference.
let's face it. at the prices the china made dvd players are going the quality control won't be at par with the more know (and more expensive brands), but the xenon at least offers a good warranty. I had the opportunity (or misfortune- depends on the way u look at it) to take advantage of the warranty.

the unit conked out a week after being purchased. it was back to me within the minimum promised ten days, as good s new (courtesy of pioneer service center). You could look at this way. if ever the unit will break down , we hope and pray it always does during the warranty period and not one day after it lapses.
my unit is doing fine now.

you could go with a cheaper (all features being equal) but you will be getting a shorter warranty period.

Even after a careful study of looks, specs, feedback, etc, in the end it is leap of faith.

rrr

my other player is an asus