Author Topic: Alvin's Movieworld 2.40 CIH SETUP (Update 07/11/09 post#287)  (Read 36514 times)

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Alvin's Movieworld 2.37 CIH SETUP (Update 12/31/07)
« Reply #120 on: Dec 31, 2007 at 10:49 PM »
Update ;D ;D ;D
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: Jan 01, 2008 at 01:20 AM »
Aliwa ka talaga mag-update koy....   ;D ;D

My guess is right, somehow.   U did upgrade your screen to 2.37 CIH (my guess was 2.35) , and its curved pa.   **clap clap clap**  galing ng DIY screen mo koy.  What screen material did you use?  And any plans for a masking system for 1.78/1.85 movies?

WOW!!!  plus 4 DIY subs pa!!!   are those solo barics na kicker??  from afar they look like those models.   Cant wait to hear and see this new set-up of yours. 

This update alone is worth a fortune na, especially the D2 statement and the panamorph lens.   

Congrats Kong Alvin!!!   Happy New Year!!    ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2008 at 01:45 AM by Munskie »

Offline jay2

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #122 on: Jan 01, 2008 at 02:46 AM »
congrats cong Alvin great setup curved screen (2.40???)(AT screen?), panamorph lens with slide!!!!

BOW BOW BOW

Happy New Year!!!!!   

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: Jan 01, 2008 at 07:36 AM »
Aliwa ka talaga mag-update koy....   ;D ;D

My guess is right, somehow.   U did upgrade your screen to 2.37 CIH (my guess was 2.35) , and its curved pa.   **clap clap clap**  galing ng DIY screen mo koy.  What screen material did you use?  And any plans for a masking system for 1.78/1.85 movies?

WOW!!!  plus 4 DIY subs pa!!!   are those solo barics na kicker??  from afar they look like those models.   Cant wait to hear and see this new set-up of yours. 

This update alone is worth a fortune na, especially the D2 statement and the panamorph lens.   

Congrats Kong Alvin!!!   Happy New Year!!    ;D ;D ;D

I was tempted to answer you in the affirmative when you guessed what I was cooking this month but some of the components where not yet in place. The picture is really incredible with no annoying BLACK BARS (top and bottom) on the screen. The screen is 116" diagonal and curved using a radii of 40 ft.

Screen material was just plain vanilla EBAY 1.0 gain, but I will have Draper's M2500 coming this January. Since its DIY, I can replace the material on the fly. Since more than 85% (or more)of HD disc are in 2.35 and 2.40 aspect ratio, I don't think it will bother me if there is no side masking on the screen. Pero thats not final yet. I will calibrate the video today if there is a color shift introduced by the UH380, kasi I found that the new cheap screen material is 400 degrees kelvin more than my previous figure, so I had to recalibrate.

Yes, those are 12" Kicker L5's. I got the program from the net to construct a sealed enclosure with just the right internal volume to optimize the performance of the sub.

Happy new year to all :D 

Actually Natapos ko lang kahapon. Screenshots coming!
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Jan 01, 2008 at 07:41 AM »
congrats cong Alvin great setup curved screen (2.40???)(AT screen?), panamorph lens with slide!!!!

BOW BOW BOW

Happy New Year!!!!!   

Thanks. Wife is already furious when I spend more time in my HT over anything else. :D

Offline Marsman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Jan 01, 2008 at 08:02 AM »
fantastic upgrade  :) congrats and happy new year
Listen

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Jan 01, 2008 at 08:55 AM »
Hi Alvin! Happy New Year!

Nahula ko nga na ang Panamorph lens ay kasama sa secret project mo but not the curved screen and the 4 subs.  ;D By the way, is the Statement A2 amp new?

Now, you can't just post these pictures without explaining each piece of equipment (D2, Panamorph, curved screen, subs; d na bale a35), its unique features and your impression of their performance! Kung wala explanation, cruelty to SARS-afflicted animals yun!  ;D

I am also quite amused na nagawa mo DIY ang subs, screen and panamorph mount - baka ma-explain mo rin konti. Parang cute ang panamorph slider mo.  ;D

Of course, no amount of explanation can substitute for an actual audition. Super curious ako sa performance ng lahat ng bagong equipment mo. Saturday, Jan. 12, mga 2 pm? Sama na lahat ng mga Region 3 addicts!  ;D
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Jan 01, 2008 at 10:17 AM »
Kong Alvin, what material did you use for your screen borders?  black velvet fabric?

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Jan 01, 2008 at 10:45 AM »
Hi Alvin! Happy New Year!

Nahula ko nga na ang Panamorph lens ay kasama sa secret project mo but not the curved screen and the 4 subs.  ;D By the way, is the Statement A2 amp new?

Now, you can't just post these pictures without explaining each piece of equipment (D2, Panamorph, curved screen, subs; d na bale a35), its unique features and your impression of their performance! Kung wala explanation, cruelty to SARS-afflicted animals yun!  ;D

I am also quite amused na nagawa mo DIY ang subs, screen and panamorph mount - baka ma-explain mo rin konti. Parang cute ang panamorph slider mo.  ;D

Of course, no amount of explanation can substitute for an actual audition. Super curious ako sa performance ng lahat ng bagong equipment mo. Saturday, Jan. 12, mga 2 pm? Sama na lahat ng mga Region 3 addicts!  ;D

Like wise, Happy New Year!

OK, a little explanation for some of my new toys:

D2 is the Big Brother of my Anthem AVM50 , it has dual processors and all audio whether analog or digital are upsampled to 24/192. A lot of Lexicon and Halcro owners have switched to this unit because of the fantastic sound and HDMI implementation. It will have its own proprietary room correction circuitry by January hopefully unveiled at this months 2008 CES. This is what gives me goosebumps! BTW prices are said to increase by 8 to 12% this month, therefore magiging 7500 USD ang D2.

Panamorph UH380, I am new to CIH so medyo hindi pa na tweak nang 100% but I can assure you, it is very sharp from center to the corners. No loss of colors as well. I am happy with its performance at wala na akong black bars. I have a throw ratio of 2.16 so there should be very minimal Chromatic Abberations and Geometric distortions. Slider was just made from a drawer slide mechanism that I bought from Ace for P350? Just called my trusted carpenter and the end result was effective.

Curve Screen, its actually 44.25 X106 inches or 2.395 so I should call it a 2.40 screen. I think kahit hindi ko ginawang curve OK ang PQ, but might as well go the full distance. I used a radii of 40 ft, para minimal lang ang curvature. Used kiln dried 2x5's and stretchable velvet material for my 4" border.

Subs, Since I have the A2 as a spare amp, (Classe all the way for the 6 channels) and the Bass management of the D2 is second to none, I made 4 subs using a sub enclosure calculator from the Net. I then placed them at the front half of the room and the performance is better than a single sub. Less distortion more power. I used a spare 34 band digital parametric Eq (from my pro setups) via laptop to cut my room resonances which are around 27 and 50 Hertz. Its very difficult balancing Bass Frequencies as a cut on those frequencies will affect the response in the other seats. Its actually a compromise and its like adding salt and pepper to food, in moderation lang.

Sige Jan 12 would be fine, may konti pa akong time para mag fine tune. Bring the Gang!

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Jan 01, 2008 at 10:46 AM »
Kong Alvin, what material did you use for your screen borders?  black velvet fabric?

Yes, went to Plaridel and bought some velvet fabric at 180/yard. Very effective.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Jan 01, 2008 at 10:55 AM »
Yes, went to Plaridel and bought some velvet fabric at 180/yard. Very effective.
I just might follow your lead in the DIY screen, although I might stay at 1.78 ratio.  I cant afford that Panamorph lens.   I have seen sellers of screen material at ebay, and their price is very reasonable.   

Offline docelmo

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Jan 01, 2008 at 11:21 AM »

Wow!!!
Congrats.....Happy new gears talaga!!!
Ganda nung DIY screen!!!
 ;D
Denon/ GoldenEar Technology/Onkyo/Optoma/Sansui/SVS

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Jan 01, 2008 at 12:20 PM »
Like wise, Happy New Year!

OK, a little explanation for some of my new toys:

D2 is the Big Brother of my Anthem AVM50 , it has dual processors and all audio whether analog or digital are upsampled to 24/192. A lot of Lexicon and Halcro owners have switched to this unit because of the fantastic sound and HDMI implementation. It will have its own proprietary room correction circuitry by January hopefully unveiled at this months 2008 CES. This is what gives me goosebumps! BTW prices are said to increase by 8 to 12% this month, therefore magiging 7500 USD ang D2.

Panamorph UH380, I am new to CIH so medyo hindi pa na tweak nang 100% but I can assure you, it is very sharp from center to the corners. No loss of colors as well. I am happy with its performance at wala na akong black bars. I have a throw ratio of 2.16 so there should be very minimal Chromatic Abberations and Geometric distortions. Slider was just made from a drawer slide mechanism that I bought from Ace for P350? Just called my trusted carpenter and the end result was effective.

Curve Screen, its actually 44.25 X106 inches or 2.395 so I should call it a 2.40 screen. I think kahit hindi ko ginawang curve OK ang PQ, but might as well go the full distance. I used a radii of 40 ft, para minimal lang ang curvature. Used kiln dried 2x5's and stretchable velvet material for my 4" border.

Subs, Since I have the A2 as a spare amp, (Classe all the way for the 6 channels) and the Bass management of the D2 is second to none, I made 4 subs using a sub enclosure calculator from the Net. I then placed them at the front half of the room and the performance is better than a single sub. Less distortion more power. I used a spare 34 band digital parametric Eq (from my pro setups) via laptop to cut my room resonances which are around 27 and 50 Hertz. Its very difficult balancing Bass Frequencies as a cut on those frequencies will affect the response in the other seats. Its actually a compromise and its like adding salt and pepper to food, in moderation lang.

Sige Jan 12 would be fine, may konti pa akong time para mag fine tune. Bring the Gang!

Thanks, Alvin!  :)

Just read up a little more on the D2 and now I really need to listen to them.  :)

With regard to the Panamorph, my understanding is that you need a video processor that will expand your 2.35 image vertically to fill a 1.78 screen, and then the Panamorph will squeeze it down to 2.35. This means that you effectively get more lines on your 2.35 image and so you should get even more detail. Is this correct?

Your work with the subs is very interesting. Again, I'd really like to hear them with some bone-crunching bass. In my case, I have finally sourced and ordered the Velodyne SMS-1. That should be very interesting as well.  :)

But I think the best part of your post was on the drawer slide mechanism that you used to slide your Panamorph.  ;D I did something very similar to my pj. I had to move it back around 10 inches but didn't want to touch the 4 long pipes that anchored it to the trusses. Kinabitan ko na lang ang kanyang mounting ng heavy-duty filing cabinet slide mechanism. Ngayon, flexible pa sya.  ;D

By the way, I thought my recent upgrade was "massive" but if that were true, your upgrade is "earth-shaking"!!  :)

See you Jan 12!  :)
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2008 at 12:25 PM by streetsmart »

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Jan 01, 2008 at 06:10 PM »
Mark,

There are 2 types of Panamorph lenses. One is the Horizontal Strech of 1.33x and the other is a vertical squeeze that you mentioned. The lenses with the vertical squeeze are less expensive. I cannot afford the ISCO3 or the Schneider lens so I settled for the next best and most popular high end lens the UH380. It gives you 25% more resolution because you fill up the whole size of the 16:9 chip with a scaler, then expand the image horizontally to fill a wide cinemascope 2.35 screen. If fact you get more than 20% more light with this method as ALL of the pixels are used as compared with a 16:9 system where in you use only 810 vertical pixels. Then walang Black bars, its that cool!

Well I have to rest muna sa spending ko as the due date on my credit cards are fast approaching. Happy na ako sa PJ ko but, there's always the JVC-RS2. Alam mo naman , I also started with 3 gun CRT's and I know how wicked good black level is.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Jan 01, 2008 at 09:12 PM »
Mark,

There are 2 types of Panamorph lenses. One is the Horizontal Strech of 1.33x and the other is a vertical squeeze that you mentioned. The lenses with the vertical squeeze are less expensive. I cannot afford the ISCO3 or the Schneider lens so I settled for the next best and most popular high end lens the UH380. It gives you 25% more resolution because you fill up the whole size of the 16:9 chip with a scaler, then expand the image horizontally to fill a wide cinemascope 2.35 screen. If fact you get more than 20% more light with this method as ALL of the pixels are used as compared with a 16:9 system where in you use only 810 vertical pixels. Then walang Black bars, its that cool!

Well I have to rest muna sa spending ko as the due date on my credit cards are fast approaching. Happy na ako sa PJ ko but, there's always the JVC-RS2. Alam mo naman , I also started with 3 gun CRT's and I know how wicked good black level is.

Thanks for the explanation on the Panamorph lens. Another item on my "to dream of" list! But I first need to see it sa HT mo!  ;D

There's a huge debate on the JVC-RS2 vs the VPL-VW60. My friend should have his VW60 installed within this month. Curious din ako. Tingnan natin.  :)

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Jan 01, 2008 at 09:37 PM »
Thanks for the explanation on the Panamorph lens. Another item on my "to dream of" list! But I first need to see it sa HT mo!  ;D

There's a huge debate on the JVC-RS2 vs the VPL-VW60. My friend should have his VW60 installed within this month. Curious din ako. Tingnan natin.  :)
grabe.....JVC-RS2  is $7995.......kaching!!!   Even if I have to sell a kidney kulang pa rin.....hehehehe  ;D ;D  but is a whooping 30000:1 native contrast ratio......wow!!!

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Jan 02, 2008 at 09:15 AM »

Yes, but the one thing I don't like about the vw60 is its lumens output. Beyond 100" the image "WOW factor" diminishes.Keeping the image below 100 then its an outstanding PJ

Offline docelmo

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Jan 02, 2008 at 09:39 AM »
I guess this is now the trend in HT, just check out this HT.
He is using the ISCO3 w/ a BenQ w1000 pj!
Ganda! Just like your set up sir!
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2008 at 10:14 AM by docelmo »
Denon/ GoldenEar Technology/Onkyo/Optoma/Sansui/SVS

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Jan 02, 2008 at 11:13 AM »
yep, one of the hottest trend in HT nowadays.   but its quite prohibitive in terms of cost.   unless youll be content with a DIY masking system.... ;)

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Jan 02, 2008 at 12:18 PM »
The truth is, if you have a bat cave and the PJ has a reasonably good contrast ratio, you can get away with masking. The black side borders will still be noticeable but barely. :D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Jan 02, 2008 at 12:33 PM »
The truth is, if you have a bat cave and the PJ has a reasonably good contrast ratio, you can get away with masking. The black side borders will still be noticeable but barely. :D
the black borders in my panny ax200 (top and bottom in 2.35/2.40 movies)  arent black enough.   Thats why im thinking of making a DIY masking system, ill try it if it will improve the viewing experience....despite some pre-viewing hassle.  :)

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Jan 02, 2008 at 12:37 PM »
I guess this is now the trend in HT, just check out this HT.
He is using the ISCO3 w/ a BenQ w1000 pj!
Ganda! Just like your set up sir!

Yes its the trend nowadays. ISCO 3 is around 6250 USD , far more expensive than the Panasonic PTae2000 which is only 2,699.00. Lens palang yon! But when you watch a movie in its ORIGINAL aspect ratio, you will know why people are wiling to spend this much.

Until such time when a 2.35 Chip is available for LCD or DLP(4512X1920p), such lenses are the only ticket to True Cinemascope viewing. A workaround is the Zooming function of the PJ but you will loose a lot of light output and resolution (1.5 megapixel as against 2Megapixel for a 1080p PJ)as well as being content with the overscanning of the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2008 at 11:00 PM by alvinthx2 »

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Jan 02, 2008 at 12:40 PM »
the black borders in my panny ax200 (top and bottom in 2.35/2.40 movies)  arent black enough.   Thats why im thinking of making a DIY masking system, ill try it if it will improve the viewing experience....despite some pre-viewing hassle.  :)

Puwede. What mode are you using with the ax200? Color 1 or cinema 1 are the best choices. Nasa  6800 and color temp.
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2008 at 12:46 PM by alvinthx2 »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Jan 02, 2008 at 12:42 PM »
Puwede. What mode are you using with the ax200? Color 1 or cinema 1 are the best choices. Nasa maga 6800 and color temp.
cinema 1 works best for me..... :)  ill pm you some inquiries....  :)

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #144 on: Jan 03, 2008 at 04:50 PM »
Update ;D ;D ;D

Wow, awesome HT rig bro - thanks for updating / bumping.  A great '08 4u 4sure!  ;)

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Jan 04, 2008 at 10:52 AM »
Thanks, might post some screenshots this afternoon ;D

Offline alvinthx2

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Jan 13, 2008 at 11:05 AM »
Mark, Marvin, Jay, Angelo,Paul

Thank you for coming yesterday afternoon. Enjoyed the company.

Alvin

Offline ESi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Jan 13, 2008 at 11:18 AM »
Alvin,

This is just an initial post. I still got to get over this HANG-OVER about your place. MY GOD I got my true reference with Home Theater Acoustics and Equipment. This is ONE set-up which really gives me goosebumps esp. on the AUDIO side. Jay would agree with me on this. Your Panamorph Lens is to DIE FOR! Argghhh. Im at lost with words at the moment.....To be continued.

Its was very pleasant to met all of you. Thanks for being a very WARM Host.

Marvin,

It was a great having dinner with you and sir Mark! It was truly delicious!

Mark,

May I thank you again for the ride. Very smooth Car! Whew. Till next post.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2008 at 05:46 PM by ESi »
Ars longa, Vita Brevis, Judicium dificile

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Jan 13, 2008 at 11:37 AM »
Thanks rin Alvin, it was a real pleasure hearing and seeing your home theater.   I second Angelo's comments, reference home theater and audio set-up ito. 

Paul, Mark, Jay and Angelo....a pleasure meeting you all guys.   Sana marami pa rin mini-EB na ganito.   Dami natin pinag usapan, and dami rin natutuhan.  ;D ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Jan 13, 2008 at 11:58 AM »
 :o :o

Iba talaga integration ng components ni kuya Alvin.  The D2 holds it all together.   And not only does he have high-end components, he makes sure the room reveals the sound and video output with the most minimal anomaly.  And as Alvin taught us, he doesnt stop there, he still finds ways to improve his system output.   

And with your 2.35 CIH screen, and 1080p PJ with Panamorph lens, it again backs up what is the worst kept secret in our HT hobby.  Iba pa rin talaga ang naka PJ.  And you certainly improve the home theater experience by having a DIY cinemascope screen.  No more Black Bars!!!!

Again, thanks for letting us experience a reference-quality home theater.   Makes us mere mortals dream more....(and save more   ::) ::)...)
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2008 at 11:59 AM by Munskie »