Author Topic: SITWAP: Philippines R3 releases BACKLASH  (Read 15317 times)

Offline geckoph

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SITWAP: Philippines R3 releases BACKLASH
« on: Apr 06, 2006 at 03:03 PM »
Greetings!

So much has been said, for the past few weeks, regarding some of the MAJOR/HIGHLY ANTICIPATED DVD releases...especially with regards to the packaging and/or non-freebies.

Notably, KK and Narnia LWW...

Most, if not all, were DISHEARTENED when Magnavision offered the consumer(s) a KK DVD whose packaging has left a lot to be desired. Weeks later, the consumer(s) still feeling the effects of the packaging problem of KK DVD, comes another offering gone wrong...Narnia LWW DVD. At the back of the digipak, you will find a lot of grammatical/spelling errors and the freebies listed...is NOT WYSIWYG.

So, what's your take on the matter? What do you think we must do?
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2006 at 03:33 PM by phildo »

Offline lord_vader

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: SITWAP: Philippines R3 releases BACKLASH
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2006 at 03:18 PM »
Simply ignore the DVDs. Sa dami ng stock nila, King Kong and Narnia will go down to P333 and P299 respectively sooner than we think.

Offline stryder

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2006 at 03:30 PM »
Simply ignore the DVDs. Sa dami ng stock nila, King Kong and Narnia will go down to P333 and P299 respectively sooner than we think.
i second this motion!!

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2006 at 03:42 PM »
you will find a lot of grammatical/spelling errors and the freebies listed...is NOT WYSIWYG.

WYSIWYG... that sounds vaguely familiar. hehehe.  ;D havent seen the narnia DVD, by sound of it, looks horrendous. Hindi naman siguro entirely.  :)

Offline munky

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • who's who?
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2006 at 04:05 PM »
wala naman siguro problema sa disc (PQ & AQ).  Yung PACKAGING talaga ang may malaking problema.  I don't know kung bakit hindi nila nakita yung mga typograhical errors sa Narnia at yung slipcase ng Kingkong.  Isa naman ito sa mga "pwede na yan" attitudes. 
Still world peace

Offline 2ngaw

• Collector
  • Baguhang Kolektor
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2006 at 04:24 PM »
i have these two disappointing release, while narnia isnt entirely bad, nakaka-dishearten lang talaga ung wrong spellings at ung mga kulang as shown in the picture. I'd feel better kung sinama nila sana ung slipcase nito. because without it, bumubukas ung case. >:(
I find your lack of clothes disturbing...

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2006 at 05:10 PM »
So, what's your take on the matter? What do you think we must do?

If you don't like it, don't buy it. There are others who will, and you have other options, anyway. It's your money and you can spend it the way you want to - it's certainly an individual's prerogative to pay double for better packaging and freebies if that's what's important for him.

My honest take on this? If less and less people buy these titles and they're no longer profitable for the studios that bring them in, then there will come a time when Magnavision and Viva will stop importing these DVD9 titles completely, and we'll eventually be stuck with only "budget" DVD5s as the "legitimate" releases in our country. The bad packaging annoys me, but not enough to boycott good quality DVD9 discs. For me, it's only the movie and the disc special features that really count.

But that's just me.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline 2ngaw

• Collector
  • Baguhang Kolektor
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2006 at 05:38 PM »
Sana nga I didn't buy this title, I just asked somebody to pick it up for me e. Di ko tuloy nakita ung item at ung mga mali. With KK, wala e. reservation. Next time, we'll be more picky with the titles we buy. Can't always afford R1s kasi.
I find your lack of clothes disturbing...

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2006 at 05:59 PM »
My take on this is I believe naman we deserve something better than the product that was released.

For KK...the slipcase would have been made sturdier.  But I commend Magna for offering a tie up promo.

For Narnia...I mean c'mon for a full 900 pricetag,  at least correct spelling and grammar.  Kung discounted price pa yan...pwede pa siguro.  If I got it for 299, I can let it go.  Yun packaging is arguable....but I think it's imperative naman na  tama ang spelling.  But I consider this to be a small bump for Viva.  I am still thankful for them for the numerous DVDs I purchased because of their 299 sale.

Packaging is more superficial.  But wrong spelling and grammar...di na kailangan paalala pa yan!  Requirement yan!

Offline X-®an™

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2006 at 06:02 PM »
Packaging is more superficial.  But wrong spelling and grammar...di na kailangan paalala pa yan!  Requirement yan!

Agree with DVD_Freak on this one!

So I guess, we'll all just wait for Narnia to be on sale for PhP 299!!!  ;)

Offline lord_vader

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 2006 at 10:47 PM »
My honest take on this? If less and less people buy these titles and they're no longer profitable for the studios that bring them in, then there will come a time when Magnavision and Viva will stop importing these DVD9 titles completely, and we'll eventually be stuck with only "budget" DVD5s as the "legitimate" releases in our country. The bad packaging annoys me, but not enough to boycott good quality DVD9 discs. For me, it's only the movie and the disc special features that really count.

So we should still patronize them kahit ganoon ang release just so they continue to import DVD9s? How come Warner continues to give us quality releases and packaging at affordable prices? Buying the above DVDs will only encourage Magna to continue using poor packaging and Viva to continue misleading their buyers. For Narnia, it's not just the wrong spelling. (Even Pirates has a mispelled DTD instead of DTS but no one is complaining because the movie is TRULY in DTS and THX-Certified). What is wrong here is that they package it saying it has DTS even though it doesn't, and make you believe they have postcards and other stuff when the package itself is bare.

Boycotting these studios will make them realize they should start emulating what Warner is doing.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Apr 06, 2006 at 11:08 PM »
What is wrong here is that they package it saying it has DTS even though it doesn't, and make you believe they have postcards and other stuff when the package itself is bare.

I'll actually concede to that. That's just false advertising and is plain wrong, in fact, it should be used as basis to return the discs.

Erroneous DTS labels abound on R3 discs. I'll once again commend Warner Bros. - when they printed the snapper cases for the R3 Lethal Weapon series Director's Cuts, they mistakenly included the DTS logo on the lower right hand corner of the back panel. So as not to mislead potential buyers, they manually covered the misprint on every single disc they released:

Not very aesthetic, but at least they realized their mistake and corrected it so as not to mislead consumers.
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2006 at 11:12 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 10:04 AM »
I could do something about lousy amaray cases, like replacing them with better ones.  But typo errors in the printing, that really takes the cake.  I can forgive pirated copies that have them, since what can you expect from chinese or malaysian proof readers?

But if these latest magna releases were locally packaged and printed, and have these typo errors, I think they have just scrapped the barrel for lousy packaging.  Either they used cost-saving child labor for proof reading, or they have the most incompetent people to do the job. 

Then again, maybe they sourced their prints from pirated sources as well for cheaper prints.  ;D

Come to think of it, postage STAMPS with misprints are collectible items and get very expensive.  ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2006 at 10:10 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 11:17 AM »

Erroneous DTS labels abound on R3 discs. I'll once again commend Warner Bros. - when they printed the snapper cases for the R3 Lethal Weapon series Director's Cuts, they mistakenly included the DTS logo on the lower right hand corner of the back panel. So as not to mislead potential buyers, they manually covered the misprint on every single disc they released:

Not very aesthetic, but at least they realized their mistake and corrected it so as not to mislead consumers.

this is a good update.. hopefully, they do the same with Robin Hood POT and realize the same mistake.. it's my first warner-related complaint which until now remains unresolved.

>:(

Online duncanfranchise

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • Collector
  • Don't think you are; know you are.
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 11:25 AM »
This is just me talking, but don't you think it would be better if we in general refrain from patronizing lousy local releases even though they might go down to as low as P475?  Pangit na nga, bibigyan pa natin sila ng negosyo.   :(

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 11:35 AM »
duncan, some reasons why that route is not possible:

- not everybody can afford import DVDs
- majority of the members (now) look for value (unlike 2-3 years ago)
- "puede na" and "better than pirated" mentality

8)

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2006 at 11:44 AM by hemisphere »

Online duncanfranchise

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • Collector
  • Don't think you are; know you are.
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 11:41 AM »

- many of the members (now) look for value unlike 2-3 years ago.

8)

I know.  Like I said, that's just me talking.   ;)

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 11:43 AM »
 ;D ;D..

what a coincidence.. t'was just me replying.

8)
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2006 at 11:45 AM by hemisphere »

Offline kt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 12:15 PM »
wala ba silang QA sa mga ganyan? printing na nga lang eh  :o

Offline munky

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • who's who?
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 12:19 PM »
Still consumer's prerogative pa rin ang masusunod kung bibilhin nila ang mga ganitong dvds.   BTW pwede ba "makialam" ang  OMB/Avidphil sa mga ganitong kaso?  Just asking  :D
Still world peace

Offline d4nu65+3R

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #20 on: Apr 09, 2006 at 09:32 AM »

- majority of the members (now) look for value (unlike 2-3 years ago)

8)

good point.  we all have different viewpoints on this matter.  some people just want to see the film or their kids asked them to get it, so the packaging wont matter squat.  some don't even have ht set ups in their homes so the dts brouhaha  would not matter much to them.  only the die hard collectors will have problems with this release, so to say to other buyers not to get this will probably would not work.   but then again, if you are on a tight budget, you probably would have to take it in stride kaso it still sucks to have this on your collection.  i think, the omb should establish rules on things like these.  di lang sila dapat nakatutok sa isang aspect ng industry like piracy.
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2006 at 09:39 AM by d45nu65+3R »

Offline lord_vader

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Apr 09, 2006 at 12:24 PM »
good point.  we all have different viewpoints on this matter.  some people just want to see the film or their kids asked them to get it, so the packaging wont matter squat.  some don't even have ht set ups in their homes so the dts brouhaha  would not matter much to them.  only the die hard collectors will have problems with this release, so to say to other buyers not to get this will probably would not work.   but then again, if you are on a tight budget, you probably would have to take it in stride kaso it still sucks to have this on your collection.  i think, the omb should establish rules on things like these.  di lang sila dapat nakatutok sa isang aspect ng industry like piracy.

Those who don't have HT setups and those who just want to see the film probably get their DVDs from Quiapo. I think members of pinoydvd comprise a significant fraction of original DVD buyers. Tingnan mo na lang pagnagssale sa Podium and other stores. So banding together may still work and influence our local studios. If I'm not mistaken, some of the marketing execs of these studios probably browse this site too. So let's go ahead and say what we want them to know.

Offline rafgar

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Apr 09, 2006 at 04:08 PM »

Those who don't have HT setups and those who just want to see the film probably get their DVDs from Quiapo.

I'm not sure if I'm the only pinoydvd member who does not have an HT setup and most of time just want to see the movie when buying a DVD.  My family and I only watch DVDs from our 24-inch television and a regular Pioneer DVD player.  Does that mean that I only get my DVDs from Quiapo?  Kung ganoon pala, hindi pala ako dapat dito nag-member, kundi sa The Q forum na lang.  Well, I just want to make a point that one does not need to have an HT setup to watch movies from original DVDs.  I know that there are pinoydvd members who buy DVDs as collectibles.  Pero, siguro naman, karamihan dito ay bumibili ng original DVD dahil gusto lang nilang mapanood ang pelikula, kahit ano pa ang set-up nila sa bahay.  Although packaging is also important, for me, this is only secondary when buying a DVD.  Sana, next time, let's not put labels on people who don't have HT setups, and yet still buy original DVDs just because of the movie.   :-X

So banding together may still work and influence our local studios. If I'm not mistaken, some of the marketing execs of these studios probably browse this site too. So let's go ahead and say what we want them to know.

I think that directly communicating to these distributors (Viva or Magnavision), collectively or individually, via phone calls, emails or snail mails would be a more direct way of being heard by these distributors.  By simply boycotting these releases, we may (quoting Mr. Hankey) "eventually be stuck with only budget DVD5s as the legitimate releases in our country."

May I then suggest that the PINOYDVD community, through Sir Firewired, formally convey its disappointments to these distributors of local releases such as Narnia, King Kong, and all those with crappy packagings.  May I also suggest that we as individual consumers also send our own letters or emails.  The local DVD industry is still in its
infancy, and what better way in helping it grow than making our views/disappointments/complaints be heard (or read).

« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2006 at 04:23 PM by rafgar »

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Apr 09, 2006 at 05:15 PM »
BULAG, BINGI AT PIPI?

Directly communicating with these distributors? Hmmm...it's possible, but, I doubt it. Correct me guys if I'm wrong...this is already an AGE-OLD PROBLEM, right? There's nothing new about it...this is just the STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMEL'S BACK?

Offline vp_ortiz

• DVD Addict
  • Superhero
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Apr 09, 2006 at 06:56 PM »
Actually I've tried sending an email to Viva Video through thier website (www.viva.com.ph), and I told them about the problem of the NARNIA DVD, to no avail, as phildo said, I doubt it if they'll ever answer.  :P

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Apr 09, 2006 at 07:39 PM »
Sana, next time, let's not put labels on people who don't have HT setups, and yet still buy original DVDs just because of the movie.

Well-stated, rafgar.  :)

Offline rafgar

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Apr 09, 2006 at 07:52 PM »
BULAG, BINGI AT PIPI?

Directly communicating with these distributors? Hmmm...it's possible, but, I doubt it. Correct me guys if I'm wrong...this is already an AGE-OLD PROBLEM, right? There's nothing new about it...this is just the STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMEL'S BACK?

So, if this is not going to work, what's the next best thing to do?  Boycott their releases?   ???  Okay lang sana sa akin ang mag-boycott, kaso hindi naman ako laging may budget to buy R1s.  Kasi, most of the time, I only buy an R1 DVD if it's not available locally or if there are substantial DVD contents lacking in the R3 release when compared to the R1.

Offline rafgar

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Apr 09, 2006 at 08:01 PM »

Sana, next time, let's not put labels on people who don't have HT setups, and yet still buy original DVDs just because of the movie.

Well-stated, rafgar.  :)

Thanks for the support, Mr. Hankey!  Na-offend lang kasi ako sa insinuation made by Sir lord_vader na pang-Quiapo lang ang mga tulad kong walang HT setup, at bumibili ng DVD mainly for its contents.  I just wanted to make a point.   ;)

« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2006 at 08:42 PM by rafgar »

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Apr 09, 2006 at 09:55 PM »
So, if this is not going to work, what's the next best thing to do?  Boycott their releases?   ???  Okay lang sana sa akin ang mag-boycott, kaso hindi naman ako laging may budget to buy R1s.  Kasi, most of the time, I only buy an R1 DVD if it's not available locally or if there are substantial DVD contents lacking in the R3 release when compared to the R1.

Well, a man's got to do what a man's got to do... ;) ;) ;)

Q. How much is too much?

• How much does Disney, Fox, Sony, Universal, Paramount/Dreamworks, New Line, etc. know about their target market here in the Philippines? Maybe, they just don't care at all? Maybe, if a particular DVD release doesn't sell...it's the distributor's lost and not theirs?
  • How RED must non-Warner distributor's books be before they offer better quality DVD release packages? Before they inform/update the studios on the state of their releases here in the Philippines? Are these Filipino-owned distributors actually protecting the rights of the Filipino market from these studios?

To all those who WANTS TO BOYCOTT non-Warner distributors:

I think you guys have to go all the way...stop buying non-Warner releases, no matter how HUGE/TEMPTING the title is...don't buy KK or Narnia LWW EVEN during sales. This will give them the impression/idea -- "Pakipot pa kayo eh, bibili rin pala." I think the thing that will hurt them more, if not most, is -- "Kahit sale wala silang benta."

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #29 on: Apr 09, 2006 at 10:00 PM »

The way I see it, let's not condemn Viva for just this one (Narnia) release.  I don't think this was done on purpose.  Siguro they should just learn from their mistake.

People should remember they paved the way for us to purchase in abundance lots of DVDs for 299.  I am still grateful to Viva for that.