Author Topic: stereo or 5.1  (Read 991 times)

Offline macmac09

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • newbie forever
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
stereo or 5.1
« on: Apr 17, 2006 at 09:11 AM »
hi! i plan to build a system. i willl be using it 80% on music. should i go for stereo or 5.1. i have 2 sources, 1 is my pioneer dvd and the other is my computer. my budget is around 40-60k which includes the integrated amp or reciever, pair of speakers or sets of speakers and sub. i mainly listen to rap, R&B and rock. tnx. i would also be very much greatfull if you could recommend me a system. tnx.

Offline GC

• Collector
  • sparc
  • Liked:
Re: stereo or 5.1
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 09:22 AM »
If you'll use your system mainly for listening to audio/music, stereo will do.
Pro Deo et Patria

Offline macmac09

• Collector
  • newbie forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 10:27 AM »
tnx! is the nadc320bee in the for sale section a good choice of amp? wat speakers can you guys recommend?. tnx

Offline simplemind

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2006 at 08:30 PM »
hi! i plan to build a system. i willl be using it 80% on music. should i go for stereo or 5.1. i have 2 sources, 1 is my pioneer dvd and the other is my computer. my budget is around 40-60k which includes the integrated amp or reciever, pair of speakers or sets of speakers and sub. i mainly listen to rap, R&B and rock. tnx. i would also be very much greatfull if you could recommend me a system. tnx.

Hi!

For the range of budget you have its possible to segregate the costing like this:

Amp/receiver*   30%   12000      18000
CD/DVD Combo   25%   10000      15000
Speakers           35%   14000      21000
Cable               10%      4000       6000
      Total        100%     40000      60000

* Stereo not HT yet.
Sub not included kase mas leaning towards HT na kapag meron ka nito.
Unless you have the amount on hand, the way to go will be piece by piece.
Since you have player na, work on the amp and Speakers first.
Inquire ka sa mga AV suppliers and don't be shy. They want to serve you, make a deal and get your hard earned $$$.
Read sa mga articles,opinions here at PDVD and use your ears and audition.
Brands you will need depends on your music, room acoustic, and ears. sometimes on the look, feel, of the equipment
We just wait for the gurus for additional inputs and
goodluck
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2006 at 08:37 PM by simplemind »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2006 at 02:54 PM »

Even for music, do you have plans to indulge in multichannel music like DVD-A, DTS-CD and SACD?

Offline macmac09

• Collector
  • newbie forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2006 at 06:53 PM »
well, as odd as it may sound, i don't really buy sacd's or dvd audio's. the only use for 5.1 for me is to use it for pro logic II. Many says that stereo setup is good enough for me. i have a limited space so i don't know if i an maximize it by correct speaker placement. i am just asking for guidance on which route best to take. tnx.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2006 at 07:22 PM »
No, I don't think it's odd, if that's your preference.  I only asked because if you suddenly itch to try out multichannel music, then 5.1 would be the better route to go.    It doesn't mean na como music lang yung preference mo, e stereo na agad.  There's also such a thing as multichannel music.  Even Cd players can play multichannel DTS-CD via the toslink route.  And stereo music can be enhanced with 5.1 prologic IIx which many audiophiles have learned to like.  Stereo is a subset of multichannel.  You can always bypass 5.1 and go stereo direct mode.  At least you have more choices.  Based on your question, I had thought you were entertaining the possibility of a 5.1, since you asked "should I go stereo or 5.1".  But it seems you've already made your decision to go stereo.  Fine.   I think Harman Kardon is still selling some stereo integrateds.  Check out their showroom. 
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2006 at 07:30 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006 at 05:01 PM »
80% music? I would recommend you go for stereo.

I only wish they put this feature I saw in the new Musical Fidelity A5 amps on all 2 channel amps---> the HT direct mode. You can plug a powerful 2 channel amp (in this case the MF A5) to your receiver's pre outs and press the HT direct mode, and its a HT amp. For music use, just turn off the receiver and you have an awesome 250wx2 integrated amp. It sounds so simple but nobody does it for the more affordable amps.  :'(

This setup would give the best of both worlds (audio and HT) without the need for constantly reconfiguring, removing speaker wires and ICs at the back. Unfortunately the MF is not affordable for me  :'( :-\.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006 at 05:11 PM by MAtZTER »