Author Topic: Rashomon is coming!  (Read 1865 times)

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
Rashomon is coming!
« on: Jan 21, 2002 at 05:54 PM »
The date is set!  Finally, my favorite Akira Kurosawa movie will be released in all its Criterion glory.  Get your wallets out for March 26, 2002 on this one. Kurosawa's tale of a murder told from four different angles. Brilliant, brilliant movie starring Kurosawa's favorite leading man Toshiro Mifune.

Source: IGN.COM

« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline benny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rashomon is coming!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2002 at 06:01 PM »
[/url]

Rashomon - Criterion Collection $29.96 (25%), Mar 26.

Edition details from Amazon:

- All Regions
- Black & White
- Commentary by Japanese film historian Donald Richie
- Theatrical trailer(s)
- Video introduction by Robert Altman
- Excerpts from The World of Kazuo Miyagawa, a documentary film about Rashomon's cinematographer
- Reprints of the Rashomon source stories, Ryunosuke Akutagawa's "In A Grove" and "Rashomon."
- Akira Kurosawa on Rashomon: a reprinted excerpt from his book Something Like An Autobiography

From Criterionco:
Film Info
88 minutes
Black and White
1.33:1
Dolby Digital Mono 1.0
Not Anamorphic
Japanese

Synopsis

Brimming with action while incisively examining the nature of truth, Rashomon is perhaps the finest film ever to investigate the philosophy of justice. Through an ingenious use of camera and flashbacks, Kurosawa reveals the complexities of human nature as four people recount different versions of the story of a man’s murder and the rape of his wife. Toshiro Mifune gives another commanding performance in the eloquent masterwork that revolutionized film language and introduced Japanese cinema to the world.

« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2002 at 01:10 AM by benny »

Offline Dog from OuTeR Space

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2002 at 02:05 AM »
good news... my English teacher is really really crazy with this movie... now I'm gonna find out why... but whooo!!! :-*
gastos na naman to... mukhang medyo mahal pa :(

Kiluminati2 8)

Offline SiCkBoY

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2002 at 12:24 PM »

good news... my English teacher is really really crazy with this movie... now I'm gonna find out why... but whooo!!! :-*
gastos na naman to... mukhang medyo mahal pa :(

Kiluminati2 8)

yeah! actually, I learned about this movie from Ricky Lee when he was my professor in film class. good thing that he invited the class to his house so that we could watch it, along with other films.  

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:Rashomon is coming!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2002 at 01:39 AM »
Menu screenshots from DVDShrine:

Click me!

Edit Apr 12: Sorry, menus screens not available for view anymore.
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2002 at 04:59 AM by benny »

Offline Dog from OuTeR Space

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2002 at 03:50 AM »

yeah! actually, I learned about this movie from Ricky Lee when he was my professor in film class. good thing that he invited the class to his house so that we could watch it, along with other films.  

swerte nyo naman... sikat teacher nyo... pinanood pa kayo sa bahay nya... I'm not quite sure but is Rashomon based from the story of "Within the Grove" something like that wherein four witnesses narrates their own versions of the crime... ??? if it is, then this film is definitely worth the thousand bucks
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2002 at 05:37 AM by benny »

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 12, 2002 at 05:07 AM »
Rashomon Disc reviews from:

DVDFile by Jarod Musgrave  

Parting Thoughts

"While the video and audio quality is far from exemplary, this DVD contains some excellent supplements, not to mention the excellence of the feature itself. Rashomon is the type of movie that lends itself to repeated viewings, making your purchasing decision that much easier."

The Digital Bits by Todd Doogan

"Criterion does here what it does best, which is to give us a great version of this film on DVD. The picture quality is very, very good for a film of its age and country of origin. There are some moments of wear but, for the most part, you have never seen this film looking this good before..."
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2002 at 05:09 AM by benny »

Offline benny

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2002 at 02:52 AM »
From dvdfile:

Just announced are a trio of new classics from The Criterion Collection, all due on 7/23. It's been quite a year for fans of Akira Kurosawa, and here comes another of his best, Red Beard. Presented in a new anamorphic widescreen transfer with its original Japanese mono track, extras include an audio commentary by film scholar Stephen Prince, liner notes by fellow historian Donald Richie, and the original theatrical trailer. Retail is $39.95
« Last Edit: May 03, 2002 at 03:04 AM by benny »

Offline SiCkBoY

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2002 at 03:06 AM »
wow! di ko pa napapanood yan ah! sana ipalabas din sa CTV31.  ;)

Offline ebs

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2002 at 06:15 AM »
hi guys...

do you guys know ZATOICHI?  he's the blind/masseuse/samurai... heard of him?  12 or 15 episodes in the series.

thanks...

Offline cmpoed

• Apprentice
  • ~~~ wild ~ and ~ free ~~~
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 08, 2004 at 10:47 AM »
hey boys...  that ZATOICHI ebs was talking about a few years ago is a good series...

there's a brand new zatoichi movie that just came out last april or may?   still about the blind samurai... this is where quentin tarantino got some of his ideas or inspiration for kill bill...

check it out!  i went to a video store/repair place in virra mall last june and they had the R1 dvd... orders only... the folks there said a few people have place the orders... dunno how much... i just got an orig vcd when i got back to vancouver... puwede na yon for me... in cantonese (L) and japanese (R) with english subtitles.

i asked around about the R1 dvd... sabi daw the extra features included in the R1 are all in japanese with no subtitles... if anyone of you do decide to get this dvd, please let me know if the features are in japanese.

i do have the first 8 dvd's from the original series back in the 60's/70's...  will slowly grow that collection.

i'm also looking into the LONEWOLF AND CUB series... used to be shown on channel 13 about 20+ years ago.

gastos na naman!!!!

nothin beats a t-shirt that fits and kick a~~ dvd.

Offline vinnov4

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 08, 2004 at 06:42 PM »
Madaming Zatoichi films na nagawa more than 50 yata based from the net. I have the dvd of an old version and the latest one directed by Takeshi Kitano pinalabas siya sa artfilm. Both are good movies. By the way, are you people collectors of Kurosawa films? Are they worth collecting as in all of his films?

Offline cmpoed

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 09, 2004 at 12:26 PM »
pareng vin... personally, some kurosawa films are worth collecting, but not all...  some of his films are too "artistic" for me... hindi kaya ng utak ko... i guess kasi it's more because of mainstream hollywood influence...  i know some people who like "dreams"... ako ayoko... tinulugan ko pa ata yon... buti na lang rental vhs...  ;D   out of the 8 to 10 kurosawa films i've seen, i still like "RAN" the best...  "hidden fortress" comes in at second...  then it's a toss up between "yojimbo" and "sanjuro" for third

yung dvd mo ng zatoichi (kitano)... so are the extra features in japanese with no english subtitles?
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2004 at 12:28 PM by cmpoed »

Offline cmpoed

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 11, 2004 at 09:08 AM »
pareng vin...  thanks for your email... no problem tol... no offense taken... ayos lang yan...

if you can swing it, maybe you can rent kurosawa videos/dvd's first before deciding to buy...  i have 8 kurosawa dvd's... hindi kasi readily available ang rental dvd/videos of kurosawa here in canada, kaya i'm forced to order sometimes.  yung samurai 1, 2 and 3 okay din!  sabi daw maganda yung red beard pero di ko pa napapanood... 

i just saw on amazon the other day... The First Samurai: Book of Five Rings... medyo mahaba yung review so mamaya ko na babasahin...

ingat pare!

Offline uebetan12

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2006 at 08:05 AM »
late na para mag post for this movie on dvd but better late than never.
i have a copyof this great movie. highly recommended. iba talaga ang criterion at makikita mo pa ang itsura ni akira kurosawa sa interview