Author Topic: Going to teh states...  (Read 3616 times)

Offline chinoh151

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Going to teh states...
« on: May 01, 2006 at 07:15 PM »
...this summer, to LA! Hi! I really need to know good places where I can buy DVDs. Don't know at all. HMV? For sure I will check the super markets because many movies are cheap there, but are there any other good, cheap DVD shops? Also, are there any cool LE's or special releases I should watch out for? Being an Walk the Line fan, surely I will go and by the Walmert Exclusive DVD. Is there Walmart in LA?  ;D Any others?

Offline chinoh151

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Going to teh states...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006 at 08:38 PM »
Checked Wallmart.com and Target.com, they've got cheap dvds.

Any opinions anyone????

:-[

Offline audiobear

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006 at 11:49 AM »
Hi, i'm new in this forum and i want to share some experience in buying not only DVD but also cd's in the US. I know one shop at San Francisco the name is RASPUTIN it's a 4 floor store bigger than a HMV shop selling not only new dvd but also used mint condition ones and also hard to find titles. Check this out when you're at the bay area.

Offline audiobear

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006 at 11:58 AM »
The used dvd they are selling are really very cheap it ranges from 4.99 (terminator 1) to 15 for the recent titles but used. I bought hills have eyes for only 11.99 , while Batman box set will cost you 33. they have great prices depending on the condition of the dvd. So far  the cheapest shop i've ever been even cheaper than those in HK and mind you it's all REGION 1.

Offline chinoh151

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006 at 12:01 PM »
Thanks Audiobear but I wont be going to San Francisco. Do you know any places in California?  :)

Offline Jun_P

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
Re: Going to the states...
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006 at 12:04 PM »
check out Best Buy and Walgreens kung meron sa LA ;)

Offline chinoh151

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006 at 12:16 PM »
Oh, I forgot Best Buy. Thanks! :)

Offline rss777

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006 at 04:19 PM »
Hi ! I have been a member of the forum but have not been posting much. I have just been to LA a couple of weeks back and there are many places that sells DVD's but I think the best, by far, is Virgins. The place is huge , about 3-4 floors selling cd's, dvd's etc.

Of course, you can also go to Best Buy, Walgreen or Target but they don 't have the same variety and choices as Virgins.

Offline chinoh151

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006 at 06:38 PM »
Hi ! I have been a member of the forum but have not been posting much. I have just been to LA a couple of weeks back and there are many places that sells DVD's but I think the best, by far, is Virgins. The place is huge , about 3-4 floors selling cd's, dvd's etc.

Of course, you can also go to Best Buy, Walgreen or Target but they don 't have the same variety and choices as Virgins.

Cool. :)

What the price ranges??? Thanks.

Offline rss777

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006 at 10:21 AM »
Cool. :)

What the price ranges??? Thanks.

The price ranges varied but I noticed that there were items also on sale ( prices from about US$ 7 and up ). The good thing in this place is the wide variety of dvd's on stock. If you have been to any HMV store in Hong Kong, shopping in Virgins is very similar and  there is no need to check what Region the dvd's are, puro Region 1 sigurado.

Offline chinoh151

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006 at 12:07 PM »
Coolies. Thanks!  ;D

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006 at 05:50 PM »
Target, Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart, Borders, For Your Entertainment, Suncoast...

For Used DVDs....Blockbuster and my preference....Hollywood Video.

Offline chinoh151

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006 at 09:23 PM »
Thanks a lot DVD_Freak, ano yung condition nang dvds sa Hollwood Videos and Blockbuster??? :)

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2006 at 11:23 AM »
Thanks a lot DVD_Freak, ano yung condition nang dvds sa Hollwood Videos and Blockbuster??? :)

If you're very particular about packaging, then look elsewhere.  These are mostly rented DVDs.  What I like more about Hollywood Video is they retain the original packaging as well as inserts to most of their for sale used DVDs.  Blockbuster changes the amaray cases of their titles and discards the inserts.  For Blockbuster, they have 2 for $20 promo.  While Hollywood Video has a 3 for $25 promo.

Pwede na ito if you're really not hot on specific titles that you just want to own one.  But for titles I want in excellent conidtion...I go to Walmart.  They generally have the best prices in most of their titles.  But be sure to check out Best Buy also.  They give huge discounts only on specific titles that are often times much cheaper than Walmart.

Hope this helps.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 10, 2006 at 02:35 PM »
Are You still in US? or back at Pinas? I hope Im not late posting this

...this summer, to LA! Hi! I really need to know good places where I can buy DVDs. Don't know at all. HMV? For sure I will check the super markets because many movies are cheap there, but are there any other good, cheap DVD shops? Also, are there any cool LE's or special releases I should watch out for? Being an Walk the Line fan, surely I will go and by the Walmert Exclusive DVD. Is there Walmart in LA?  ;D Any others?

Best advise before going to this shops... Buy a Sunday Los Angeles Times Newspaper and check out the 1st week promo flyers inserted in it. And prepare yourself to go as early as possible on TUESDAYS (heavenly day for DVD collectors)!

So for the shops:

In the Los Angeles Area...

Here it goes

1. Retail Stores

(a) Walmart
(b) Bestbuy
(c) CiircuitCity
(d) Frys
(e) Target

2. Exclusive Video Store (A bit expensive compare to retail stores) and can be found normally inside the shopping mall
(a) Suncoast
(b) Sam Goodys
(c) Tower
(d) FYE
(e) Borders
(f) Hot Topic
(g) Virgin Megastore (but they are closing)

3. Used/Previewed DVDs

(a) Gamestop Stores (Believe me they carry a load of low priced used DVDs)
(b) Hollywood Video
(c) Blockbuster
(d) EB / EBGAMES
(e) 20/20 Video
(f) Local Video Stores (just inquire if they sell used DVDs)

4. SecondSpin Store in Sherman Oaks!! and Santa Monica!!

If you have additional questions feel free to PM me...
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x