Author Topic: PHILIPS DVP5965K/98 Video Upscaler  (Read 16584 times)

Offline wrathboo21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • howdy!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PHILIPS DVP5965K/98 Video Upscaler
« on: May 16, 2006 at 03:29 AM »
HDMI DivX DVD Player Video Upscaling up to 1080i

is the released already? any owners of this model?  :P
here come the little things...

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: PHILIPS DVP5965K/98 Video Upscaler
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006 at 07:33 AM »
It was supposed to be introduced last week, at around 6K, do check out the SM appliance store at Rockwell.

Offline mika888

• Collector
  • Let's turn it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006 at 12:35 AM »
Philips are selling it now for P6295.  However, it is in an order basis.  I still yet to see the quality of upscaling videos.

Base on the brochure, this player does NOT support DTS and does not have optical output.  It only supports Dolby Digital!  It only has digital coax output.

I do hope the brochure is wrong again; just like the LX3600D's wherein the brochure does not say that they have video component outputs.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006 at 11:42 AM by mika888 »
Your eye is the key...

Offline mika888

• Collector
  • Let's turn it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006 at 02:16 PM »
Anybody tried this model?
Your eye is the key...

Offline Dowals

• DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006 at 05:22 PM »
no DTS decoder???  :P
lowest paid in the banking industry

Offline mika888

• Collector
  • Let's turn it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006 at 08:03 AM »
Up ko lang.

Any feedback yet in regard to the performance of this DVD player? Thanks
Your eye is the key...

Offline ku2spy

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: PHILIPS DVP5965K/98 Video Upscaler - NO DTS!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2006 at 02:01 AM »
I've brought mine just a few hours ago at SM Mall of Asia. I was supposed to buy  a Toshiba HDMI player (Php10,000) but the personnel in charge already left, good thing the Philips personnel suggested this model, I was shocked on how affordable it is (Php6,290 I think) considering that it has support for almost every file type imaginable, it has Divx 3,4,5,6 and even the latest one Divx Ultra! It even has a USB so you can connect your thumbdrive/USB key, MP3 Player, or even your external harddisk so you can play your audio and video files even without burning them first onto a disc.  It has audio (up to 4x the quality of the cd), video(1080i), and JPEG(the best jpeg quality) upscaling provided you connect using HDMI!

There are some downside though.... No HDMI cable included, therefore I cannot test the upscaling feature yet. It has no optical audio out (coaxial only) and finally the biggest problem of all..... It does not support DTS!!!!!!!!!!

I will try to call Philips customer service ASAP regarding this one because I have lots of DVD's with DTS encoding and I will not enjoy the sound at it's fullest using this player.....
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2006 at 02:04 AM by ku2spy »

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jun 06, 2006 at 12:36 AM »
what do you mean it does not support DTS?? it doesn't pass the DTS signal to your ampiflier/decoder?? thats a killer!!

Offline eonneonone

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jun 06, 2006 at 05:53 AM »
nakita ko nga rin po ito sa esem, ganda sana nung player kaso lang noong tiningnan ko iyung detalye nung player, hindi siya sumusuporta ng DTS. pero napakaganda ng itsura ng gamit na ito, mura pa.

saka po pansin ko lang, matipid sa mga connector ang philips. kahit s-video wala po siya. hehehe

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #9 on: Jun 06, 2006 at 07:52 AM »
Guys, check out the player's manual here:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvp5965k_98/dvp5965k_98_dfu_eng.pdf

The player has HDMI connector at the back and has a digital coax output. So if you have an AV receiver, the receiver will take care of the DTS decoding. This is the cheapest player so far that has upscaling.

I'd like to buy this so I can enjoy my Pixel Plus' HD mode but my DVP642 is still going strong even with my children's abuse.

Offline Titanium

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • "There is always a better way"
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 06, 2006 at 08:40 AM »

The player has HDMI connector at the back and has a digital coax output. So if you have an AV receiver, the receiver will take care of the DTS decoding. This is the cheapest player so far that has upscaling.

I'd like to buy this so I can enjoy my Pixel Plus' HD mode but my DVP642 is still going strong even with my children's abuse.

Hi Uvax,

Im just curious how could you use the philips HDMI player to enjoy the HD mode of your pixel plus. I am assuming of course that you are using a crt pixel plus TV  which has only component inputs.  I am using a 34 pixel plus philips and Im also in the market for a cheap upscaller to enjoy the 1080i features, but it must be an upscaller through component input.  Can you share your thoughts?

Offline uvax

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jun 06, 2006 at 11:48 AM »
I am assuming that the player is capable of putting out 1080i signals through the YPbPr outputs. You can configure the component outs of the player as progressive scan outputs same as with the previous models. The AV4 inputs of the CRT Pixel Plus will support 1080i signals.

Offline Titanium

• DVD Addict
  • "There is always a better way"
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jun 06, 2006 at 12:21 PM »
I am assuming that the player is capable of putting out 1080i signals through the YPbPr outputs. You can configure the component outs of the player as progressive scan outputs same as with the previous models. The AV4 inputs of the CRT Pixel Plus will support 1080i signals.

uvax, that would be good if it is possible. I hope youll buy your unit and try it.  :) Please post your observations. thanks.

Offline mika888

• Collector
  • Let's turn it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 11, 2006 at 10:32 AM »
Any feedback yet on this dvd player?
Your eye is the key...

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 13, 2006 at 06:43 AM »
Below is a link to a review of the Philips DVP5960/37 which seems to be the Region 1 version of the DVP5965K sans karaoke. Based on some of the customer feedback, it doesn't pass DTS. This is possible despite the unit having coaxial output because DTS passthrough (officially known as DTS Digital Out) requires some sort of licensing fee arrangement with DTS.

Garden variety generic DVD players (like the Lexings and Fukudas) are pretty much unlicensed DTS devices but that's hard to enforce in this part of the world.     

CNET editors' review: Philips DVP5960/37
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2006 at 07:53 AM by firewired »
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 14, 2006 at 09:06 PM »
Below is a link to a review of the Philips DVP5960/37 which seems to be the Region 1 version of the DVP5965K sans karaoke. Based on some of the customer feedback, it doesn't pass DTS. This is possible despite the unit having coaxial output because DTS passthrough (officially known as DTS Digital Out) requires some sort of licensing fee arrangement with DTS.

Garden variety generic DVD players (like the Lexings and Fukudas) are pretty much unlicensed DTS devices but that's hard to enforce in this part of the world.     

CNET editors' review: Philips DVP5960/37

gad, without DTS pass through, this is a no no for me :( oh well.....

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Aug 14, 2006 at 01:04 PM »
I was able to check this model and sadly it doesn't play OGM files unlike the Pioneer 696 AVS or the 490K., also, the USB port cannot detect the 80G FAT32 that has various AVI,MP3,MPG and DVD files, although someone told me that it was able to decipher a 512mb thumbdrive with an AVI file, so in all probability, it has a capacity for less than 1G.
The Pioneer 490K is cheaper at 5.9K and has better working DIVX program...at best get the 696AVS, since at 6.9K it has DVD-Audio and SACD capability, surprisingly this model does not have any SACD, making the 5500S a better choice, if you don't need the HDMI capability.

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Aug 14, 2006 at 01:25 PM »
I can't believe this player doesnt support DTS pass-through. Bummer!

Anyway, can anyone confirm if this player supports upscaling through component video?

Thanks.

Offline wcvmorasa

• DVD Addict
  • You want me to do that? Make me.
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Oct 20, 2006 at 03:40 PM »
I was able to check this model and sadly it doesn't play OGM files unlike the Pioneer 696 AVS or the 490K., also, the USB port cannot detect the 80G FAT32 that has various AVI,MP3,MPG and DVD files, although someone told me that it was able to decipher a 512mb thumbdrive with an AVI file, so in all probability, it has a capacity for less than 1G.

Mine was able to read 2GB USB flash drive with no problem.

Offline uvax

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Oct 20, 2006 at 04:33 PM »
Mine was able to read 2GB USB flash drive with no problem.

Peculiar thing I found on this model with respect to HDDs was that 2.5" notebook drives come out as "device not supported" while 3.5" desktop drives are recognized. Tried it on three different notebook HDD and had the same result. Wasn't able to try playing files off my desktop HDD as it was formatted in NTFS and I can't afford to  erase the content.

Offline Yahoo

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 01, 2006 at 02:43 PM »
I read in a different forum that a firmware upgrade allows this player to pass DTS through the coax.
Also asked the saleslady twice if the DVD player plays DTS? She said yes through the digital coax.  :)

Offline juneaki

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #21 on: Nov 02, 2006 at 07:29 AM »
I read in a different forum that a firmware upgrade allows this player to pass DTS through the coax.
Also asked the saleslady twice if the DVD player plays DTS? She said yes through the digital coax.  :)

Would you be kind enough to share w/ us what forum is that? If possible, paki-research na rin kung saan available ang firmware upgrade na yan. Our fellow members na meron ng player na to would surely be glad. ;D ;D

Offline Yahoo

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 03, 2006 at 10:23 PM »
sure, here's the link...
http://www.dtvforum.info/lofiversion/index.php/t39338.html

I think you can download the firmware from the Philips' website.

I'm currently contemplating on which player to get.
This one or pioneer dv-696?

I'd like to get the dv-696 except for one major disadvantage. It doesn't have usb.
Can the philips dvp5965k player upscale thru component?

Thanks.

Offline uvax

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Nov 04, 2006 at 09:32 AM »

Can the philips dvp5965k player upscale thru component?

Thanks.

NO.

The Pioneer 696 won't upscale through component either.

Offline wcvmorasa

• DVD Addict
  • You want me to do that? Make me.
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Nov 07, 2006 at 04:21 PM »

This is confirmed guys, I just upgraded my DVP5965K/75 which is connected to an LG LHA4000 speaker system connected via coax. Tested using the DTS track of the Se7en DVD and lo and behold the speaker system flashed the DTS logo.  ;D

Offline R1DVD

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Mar 15, 2007 at 07:33 AM »
can anyone confirm if this unit can pass 5.1 signal to receiver connected via coaxial while LCD is connected to this player via HDMI.  A also want to get this player because of the upscale and usb function, but salesman told me you can get 5.1 from both the HDMI and coaxial (simultaneous connection).  I have a yamaha receiver with no HDMI in/out so my only option is connect this to the LCD via HDMI and connect this player also to the receiver via coaxial.

At least someone from this forum has confirmed that DTS is possible thru the firmware upgrade

Offline aeneas

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2007 at 02:41 PM »

I got my Philips dvd player last week. It can read any dvd's I throw at it so far. (crosses finger)  8)

Offline Shongi

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2007 at 06:07 PM »
I like this player! Can play avi,mp3 files from USB drives  ;D

Offline chocovim

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2007 at 07:25 PM »
still having second thoughts about this player or the 696.. anybody here can comment on the audio output of this player? they say the 696 is good coz of the burr brown chip.

Offline XXXyzledge

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • NO more CEBU PACIFIC flights for me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2007 at 03:06 PM »
This is confirmed guys, I just upgraded my DVP5965K/75 which is connected to an LG LHA4000 speaker system connected via coax. Tested using the DTS track of the Se7en DVD and lo and behold the speaker system flashed the DTS logo.  ;D

tagal na nitong post...
hopefully, sir wcvmorasa is still reading the thread
& could share to us step by step procedure on how
he was able to upgrade his player!

Cayin, RS1, Velo, QED, Bada         Sony4K, HK, B&W, SVS, Oppo, LaZboy....