Author Topic: SONY BRAVIA LCD TV Owners Thread (Share Experiences, Settings, Problems)  (Read 107111 times)

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
@adonis

Thank you po sa reply.  Actually kinokompare ko po yung component and full rgb (out na yung rgb) by switching the setting while I'm watching full screen movie... I find na mas makulay ang component (ex. mas pink yung skin ng mukha) while i find more natural yung color if full rgb. But if naka full rgb, napapansin ko naman yung parang pixels (di ko alam kasi tawag dun) pag dark scenes pero napakaganda pag bright scenes.

That's why i tried switching naman between 1080p and 720p (hoping that "parang pixels" will be gone if switched to 720p), pero di ko makita difference nandun parin yung "parang pixels".  Ano po ba ang normal resolution ng DVDs? What i know is that DV400 upscales to 1080p but i don't know from what normal resolution. How can i know the normal resolution of DVDs? I can't find kasi sa cover. Is the resolution connected with the region?

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ano po ba ang normal resolution ng DVDs? What i know is that DV400 upscales to 1080p but i don't know from what normal resolution.

Native DVD resolution is 480i for NTSC video, and 576i for PAL video.

How can i know the normal resolution of DVDs? I can't find kasi sa cover.

Hindi talaga nilalagay sa cover ang resolution.  Pare-pareho ang resolution ng DVD kasi it's part of the specification of the format.

Is the resolution connected with the region?

Yes and no. 

Resolution is determined by video signal format (480i NTSC; 576i PAL).  On the other hand, video signal format depends on the region.  For example, NTSC is the video standard in Region 1; in Region 2, PAL.

In other words, resolution is directly related to video format, but resolution is only indirectly related to region coding. 

« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2008 at 02:12 PM by barrister »

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
@ barrister

thanks po uli galing talaga ng pinoydvd!

Offline fnvillafuerte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
@adonis

Thank you po sa reply.  Actually kinokompare ko po yung component and full rgb (out na yung rgb) by switching the setting while I'm watching full screen movie... I find na mas makulay ang component (ex. mas pink yung skin ng mukha) while i find more natural yung color if full rgb. But if naka full rgb, napapansin ko naman yung parang pixels (di ko alam kasi tawag dun) pag dark scenes pero napakaganda pag bright scenes.

That's why i tried switching naman between 1080p and 720p (hoping that "parang pixels" will be gone if switched to 720p), pero di ko makita difference nandun parin yung "parang pixels".  Ano po ba ang normal resolution ng DVDs? What i know is that DV400 upscales to 1080p but i don't know from what normal resolution. How can i know the normal resolution of DVDs? I can't find kasi sa cover. Is the resolution connected with the region?

Yes, you are correct, HDMI FULL RGB is the best choice.

Try mo ito: 

1.  Set your DV400 dvd player to output 480P resolution via HDMI, this is to allow your dvd to output the native or basic resolution of the dvd format, walang ginawang upscaling ang dvd player mo sa signal.  At this setting, the TV will do the video upscaling to 720P (or to 1080P if your TV is full HD).  Observe the Image quality on your TV.

2.  Now, try mo namang i-set yung dvd player mo to output 720P resolution via HDMI, this to allow your dvd player to do the video upscaling to 720P.  At this setting, the tv will just accept the signal and display it as is without any rescaling if your tv'ss native resolution is 720P.  But if your tv's native resolution is 1080P, the tv will further upscale it to 1080P.  Observe again the image quality on your TV.

3.  You can also try setting your player to output 1080P via HDMI, but this is not recommended if your tv's native resolution is 720P only because the signal will be upscaled by the player to 1080P then the TV will downscale it to 720P.  Too many processing of the signal is not good!

Just compare the resulting image quality of the above settings and use the best.  For me, I settled for the first setting, I just allow my TV to do the upscaling, it is the best setting for me.  My player is Pioneer DV600 and my TV is Panasonic 42PV70.

:)
"If you love life, life will love you back."

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
Does this apply to all LCD TVs capable of 1080p:  TV will do the video upscaling to 720P (or to 1080P if your TV is full HD)?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
That's right.  The TV will always scale the incoming signal to its own native resolution in order to display the image.   

Your LCD panel has a native resolution of 1366 x 768. Any incoming signal will always be scaled by the TV's internal processor, as long as the internal processor supports the incoming signal's resolution. 

Your TV's internal processor supports incoming signals with resolutions of 480i, 576i, 480p, 576p, 1080i, 720p, and 1080p.  The TV will process any of those signals by scaling any of them to the panel's native resolution of 1366 x 768. 

If your TV is fed an upscaled 720p signal from a DVD player, the TV will still have to process it to 1366 x 768, the exact native resolution of the panel.

The same is true for TVs with native resolutions of 1920 x 1080.  Any incoming signal other than 1920 x 1080 will be converted by the internal scaler to the panel's native resolution of 1920 x 1080.

Therefore, an upscaling player is not necessary if the objective is simply to display the image from the DVD source. 

========================================================

Which setup will produce the better picture: (a) a pure 480i source processed to 768p by the TV, or (b) a 480i source, upscaled to 720p by the player, then further processed to 768p by the TV?

Results vary, so you will have to conduct an actual test and observe for yourself. 

If the player's scaler performs better than the TV's internal scaler, then an upscaling player will help the TV produce a better picture.
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2008 at 06:53 PM by barrister »

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
@ barrister, adonis and the rest

i recieved great and very informative responses today... all i have to do now is to try it myself.... i'll inform you soon.... more power to you all!

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
@ barrister, adonis

I tried last night your reco.... i played dvd and switched from 480p to 720p and to 1080p.... here are my observations:

480p: the image is larger or somekinda zoomed... parang sa cpu monitor na capable of high resolution pero displayed a lower resolution.... therefore mas larger ang image and i find it not fine (in terms of sharpness)

720p: better than 480p, i think this is because a little upscaling nalang ang pina-process ng LCD tv to display it at its normal/native resolution

1080p: i think (and i feel) a very very little (even tiny) improvement... i said i feel kasi i can't distinguish it from 720p... (gumagana na lang siguro ang subconciousness ko nowing na i set it on the highest upscaled resolution

therefore: i trusted to what i feel kasi mas happy ako hehehehe.... i don't know if this is accurate.... i think my SONY 32u300a's upscaling capability is not as good as my DV-400's and its better for the tv to downscale (don't know if this is the term) high resolution signal to its native resolution signal rather to upscale it

your comments are very much welcome to this overnight experiment....

p.s. i have pic of my display playing 720p and 1080p using N73 kaso di ko alam magpost....

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Thanks for the detailed observations, sir eksi.

Importante talaga ang pinoydvd for info sharing, marami na rin akong napulot na info dito  ;)

Useless kasi ang info na binibigay ng salesclerks.   Imbis na makatulong, nakakagulo pa.  Puro mali-mali kasi ang sinasabi  :D.

... i think my SONY 32u300a's upscaling capability is not as good as my DV-400's and its better for the tv to downscale (don't know if this is the term) high resolution signal to its native resolution signal rather to upscale it

Upscaling DVD players usually perform better than the TV's internal scaler.  Dapat lang, kasi kung hindi, e di wala na sigurong bibili ng upscaling player.  Ang TV scaler naman, hindi talaga puwede ang sobrang gandang scaler kasi they want to keep manufacturing costs down.

Generally speaking, it is true that it's easier to downscale than to upscale.  Thus, a Blu-ray source downscaled to 768p will still look better than an SD DVD source upscaled to 768p. 

Pero kung 480i source, upscaled by the player to 720p and 1080p ---  720p is upscaled by the TV to 768p, while 1080p is downscaled by the TV to 768p, will 1080p always be better?

Iba-iba rin ang results, depende sa player at TV.  Some players are better at upscaling to 720p than 1080i or 1080p.  Some TVs are optimized to give the best results with 720p sources, while some were designed to work best with 1080i sources kasi maraming broadcast HD TV sources sa US na 1080i.  It's impractical to have an internal TV scaler that is optimized for all sources because of manufacturing cost constraints.   

That's why I always say there's no way to know beforehand which will perform better; you will have to test and observe the results.       

p.s. i have pic of my display playing 720p and 1080p using N73 kaso di ko alam magpost....

Try this tutorial:  http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=26149.msg74804#msg74804

I use imageshack: http://imageshack.us/

« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2008 at 01:28 PM by barrister »

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
@ barrister

marami pong salamat uli...

mabuhay po kayo and to all the sharers!!!

tingin ko marami pa akong matututunan... keep it posted!

i'll try to post the pics of my display (getting 720p vs 1080p upscaled signals) after uploading to free photo sharing site...

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
@eksi

just use the 1080p output on your DV-400, because according to your observation there is not much difference in 720p... but the point is at least you are being able to maximize your LCD tv's potential and that is to accept and display 1080p signal which other LCD tv's cannot do... one example of which is samsung's R81 series, correct me if i am wrong but i think i read that somewhere on the other topics in this forum.. and just on my personal observation, the difference of the U series and the V series of sony is very noticable, in fact my V series has a demo setting in which the screen is split in half left and right, wherein the left screen displays an image without bravia engine and the right portion displays image with bravia engine, and in observing it i can really see the night and day difference in picture quality particularly in the depthness of color saturation and contrast.

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
Heto na po yung pics of tests I did on my 32" display:

input: upscaled 1080p signal

input: upscaled 720p signal

can't point out the difference....

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Nice shots.  Very clear pics.

But you're supposed to use the exact same frame for comparison.  It's very difficult to spot any difference if you're using different pictures.

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
i took these pics using N73, i tried to get same frame kaso ang hirap timing ng camera phone.... may delay hehehe

i remember 3.2 megapix ata and N73 kaya clear ang pics

btw, for info... the panel is sony 32u300a and the player is pioneer dv 400 via hdmi

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
@eksi

nice shots, taking note that it is only taken from an n73 phone.. even i am having hard times capturing screenshots from my phone camera due to delay in shots.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
If you are feeding your lcd tv with a dvd with 480p resolution via component video, would the tv's internal scaler upscale the video to its native resolution (720p or 1080p)?
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2008 at 12:02 PM by nerveblocker »

Offline fnvillafuerte

• Collector
  • Liked:
If you are feeding your lcd tv with a dvd with 480p resolution via component video, would the tv's internal scaler upscale the video to its native resolution (720p or 1080p)?

Yes, the tv will always do the rescaling of the input signal to meet its own native resolution; wether the video signal came in via composite, S-video, Component or HDMI.
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2008 at 01:30 PM by fnvillafuerte »
"If you love life, life will love you back."

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
i received a late christmas gift... toshiba sd-k580sa progressive scan dvd player... it just upscales 480i to 480p... i connected it to the component input of bravia and calibrated video and audio using Avia HT guide.... result - very clear picture and good audio quality (dolby digital & dts via coaxial output).... i can say in football term... super substitute sya para mapahinga pio dv-600... hehehe...  as matter of fact....hindi nga na notice ng brother ko na may bago akong player.... akala pio dv-600 gamit ko while I'm testing my new player

Offline IceTea

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Temet Nosce.
  • Liked:
i received a late christmas gift... toshiba sd-k580sa progressive scan dvd player... it just upscales 480i to 480p... i connected it to the component input of bravia and calibrated video and audio using Avia HT guide.... result - very clear picture and good audio quality (dolby digital & dts via coaxial output).... i can say in football term... super substitute sya para mapahinga pio dv-600... hehehe...  as matter of fact....hindi nga na notice ng brother ko na may bago akong player.... akala pio dv-600 gamit ko while I'm testing my new player

I don't understand, sir.  Isn't pio dv-600 able to upscale to 1080p?  Doesn't this mean you downgraded?

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
No sir,  Nag add-lang po ako ng player.....

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
added another one on my HT.... XBOX 360.... connected it via component too.... this output 1080p via component.... pero if i play dvd, it automatically adjust to 480p.... however, if i'm playing stored video in my 360 and playing xbox 360 dvd games (e.g. halo 3, fifa 08) i can enjoy 1080p resolution.... match na match to my sony flat panel (with matching dolby prologic II sound kasi kinabit ko din sa receiver ko)!

Offline sebman

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Guru
  • yes mi lord
  • Liked:
hi got a KLV-32V300a, do you know where to get the wall mount for this lcd tv and price? thanks

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
hi got a KLV-32V300a, do you know where to get the wall mount for this lcd tv and price? thanks

you can call sony service at 3301111 if you are in metro manila, you can ask them if they do wall mounting services, for me i did not wall mount my KLV-32V300a because of the hassle of inserting the cables at the back, the cables are perpendicular to the unit's back so it protrudes when inserted and will surely press on the wall when mounted. If sony does not do wall mounting services, you can try theaterworks at trinoma and ask jeff (nemesis) if they do services like that eventhough the unit is not purchased from them.

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:

We have original Sony wall mount on sale. We also have other universal wall mount available.

We do free delivery and installation on the same day.  We also accept C.O.D. transaction, which means that we can accept payment after we do delivery and installation of your LCD TV.

Please note that Sights and Sounds also offer 3-year after-sales assistance service under After Sales Assistance Program (ASAP) to our clients.

Visit us at Sights and Sounds 4th level Shangri-la Plaza. Or call 634-1789 t0 90, mobile 09175413491 for other inquiry.

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
Sony jumps to top of LCD sales...

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/12835.cfm

Offline ferdie

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
SONY BRAVIA X-SERIES
« Reply #175 on: Apr 23, 2008 at 10:32 PM »

good evening, mga sirs...magtatanong lang kung mahusay ba ang sony bravia x-series LVD tv (40')?

i'm seriously considering buying one. maganda na ba ang price sa P150,000 brand new, without warranty?

thanks...  :-)

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
Re: SONY BRAVIA X-SERIES
« Reply #176 on: Apr 29, 2008 at 08:48 AM »
Just a question sir,

are you willing to invest your money sa isang item na walang warranty...?

regards,
ABC

Offline ferdie

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: Apr 29, 2008 at 11:51 AM »

yes, sir, naiisip ko yan about the warranty. i'm just thinking na sa price difference dito at sa abroad, kung matsambahan mang may 'defect' yung makuha, yung price difference ang ipangpapagawa. para lang akong bumili locally, if ever magkaganoon.

somehow, parang sugal na ang pinaka talo ay 'tabla' lang kung dito ako kukuha locally.

nahihilo na ako sa kakapili at kakabasa ng reviews, kaya i'm asking if i'm doing the right thing...hehe, sensha na...

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #178 on: Apr 29, 2008 at 01:09 PM »
That's ok really, that is the nature of an intelligent consumer,
you research and ask those who are really knowledgeable on the matter,...

Tama lang ginagawa mo,...

I would suggest you ask around some audio-video shop dito, ask their opinions
and recommendations, then from there you can weigh in kung ano ang magiging purpose ng bibilin mo,
Try to shy away from electronic and appliance shops na malalaki, they tend to have a higher price
dahil napupunta sa sales agent ang discount mo dapat.

There are really plenty of units to choose from esp. if you have that kind of money to spend, but with that amount, madaming shops ang magbibigay sayo ng magandang deal, that would include even the kitchen sink :)

I would suggest to send a PM to some of the sellers here, start with E-reply, he definitely can give you a nice recommendation and would explain everything you want to know...

Good luck,

ABC

Offline ferdie

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Apr 29, 2008 at 11:18 PM »

thank you very much, sir...:-)

mods, paki-lock na lang po itong thread....:-)