Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 542386 times)

Offline atomicat10

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ONKYO AVR
« Reply #330 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 12:28 AM »
BOOM that's BASS right?

Thanks.

Offline knefut

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • zzz....
  • Liked:
« Reply #331 on: Dec 29, 2005 at 09:01 AM »
can the onkyo 503E power 4ohm spkrs for extended periods?

indicated in the back panel: 4ohms minimum or 6 ohms per speaker  ???

Offline devo

• Collector
  • life's a bitch
  • Liked:
« Reply #332 on: Dec 29, 2005 at 10:40 AM »
BOOM that's BASS right?

Thanks.
yes........... mine is set to 2 (channel volume) and it already is able to rattle the area. answered your PM.
rock and roll is here to stay...........

Offline airborne03

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Hug a dog, you'll feel better!
  • Liked:
« Reply #333 on: Jan 04, 2006 at 03:50 PM »
 Glad I found this board. I may be totally out of the loop you guys are in now but want to ask a speaker related question from the experts:

A backgrounder muna: I have an old Onkyo TX-SV525, bought it non sinaunang labas pa ng mga DSP/Dolby Pro-Logic amps pa. It's been a very reliable amp for my modest needs these past ten plus years. I used to have a full HT set-up sa start, but since occsasional lang my then watching movies on vhs and now dvd's, na pare down to the basics nalang. I have an even older pair of Cerwin Vega D-1's as my main speakers nalang. This has served me well even for my audio needs. Now I use this set-up almost everyday to play my excercise dvd's, using a Pioneer dvd player, and listen to my new wave collection from time to time. Buo naman yung audio part ko, all old components as well (Kenwood 5 cd changer, old Pioneer eq) pero works well for me. Btw I'm female that's why I use excercise dvd's. ;) I also love stereo compo's from before pa, know how to set them up, pero not to the level of expertise you guys have ha. :)

So now my q: I want to change my speakers na sana. Don't want to go all HT kasi pangit yung configuration ng room ko. Maybe add a center speaker and sub later. I used to have a Polk RM 3000 sub-sat combo as my main speakers. Want to ask what main speaker brands you'd recommend, on small budget lang ako now, mga P10K below for a pair. My Onkyo is 80W/channel, ok siya driving my 100W C-V's naman. The impedance ng amp ko is min 4-8 ohms. If I can get na 3-way speakers all the better so I can pass on a sub muna.

For now just need recommendations for brands na good match for my Onkyo. At sa mga nababasa ko dito ang dami talagang brands out there. :o I wouldn't know where to begin looking and where to even ask. I've tried asking at a  few audio places and when you're a woman asking a salesmen, they can be condescending ha, assuming na wala kang alam. Which at this point is true but why let them know! ;) So I appreciate any feedback you Onkyo guys can give me. Thanks a lot! :)

Offline devo

• Collector
  • life's a bitch
  • Liked:
« Reply #334 on: Jan 04, 2006 at 04:30 PM »
Hi Airborne03,

my Onkyo is paired with a Gale 3040 (3-way)Floorstander, bought last year P9K at 5th Ave, Park Square, Makati. Sounds good naman, though I use the combi mainly for HT. You can browse the specs on the Gale thread on the speaker section. You can also get some ideas on the same section under the "Recommend a Speaker" thread. Another brand that may fit your budget is the floorstander of the Wharfedale 8 series, I think it is the 8.4 model.

Offline cherubrock

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • use soap
  • Liked:
« Reply #335 on: Jan 05, 2006 at 09:07 AM »
Hey airborne03!

You might wanna take up devo's suggestion of trying out Wharfes for your Onkyo. I did just that last year and I've never heard my CDs sound better! Great performance for HT as well.  As someone who just "graduated" from mini-compos and HTIBs I dare say that because of this setup, I'm never lookin' back. That is, of course, until the next upgrade...  ;)

Good luck on your search, let us know what you end up buying.  ;D

Offline airborne03

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #336 on: Jan 05, 2006 at 02:49 PM »
 Hey thanks guys! :) The Wharfs have come to my attention kasi nga the price is within budget, especially yung mga na sa For Sale section, I better check if meron now. I just needed to know if they're ok kasi nga I can't drag my amp with me when I audition them. devo: I'll read up on the Gale brand, it's new to me.
I'll let you know what happens too. Thanks again.

Offline tym

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #337 on: Jan 05, 2006 at 05:20 PM »
CALLING ALL AUDIO & HOME THEATER FANATICS[/font][/color][/size][/b]
:) ;) ;D
WATCH OUT FOR OUR INVENTORY SALE[/font][/color][/size][/b]
:D ;) 8) ;D

Offline silent_loud21

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • trust your ears!
  • Liked:
« Reply #338 on: Jan 07, 2006 at 04:25 AM »
Curious lang po ako anu po ba tong features nato with my onkyo "speaker distance" my audible differenced ba if I changed it, 'coz mine dont have. is this feature use only for speaker location referenced only.pa explain naman po.thanks

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #339 on: Jan 08, 2006 at 08:51 PM »
The speaker distance is in reference to the listening position. You have to measure (in meters) the distance of all the speakers'(fronts, centers, rears and sub/s) position from the listening position ie. couch, bed. Once measured, input the measurement dun sa avr speaker distance setting.

In regards to the difference it makes, I think it will have more effects on a bigger listening area.  It is the AVR's way of knowing how much power it will have to produce in order to send the sound signal across the listening position based on the distance settings (the farther the distance-the louder and wider the sound would be produced).

I'm just guessing. ;D

Offline p-popoy

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #340 on: Jan 09, 2006 at 10:00 AM »
a newbie in speakers, HTs as well as in this forum.

a friend just replaced his old (and according to him defective amps) ONKYO TX-SV525 (same as yours airborne03) with a yamaha amp.

to cut the story short. my friend gave his ONKYO to me (along with this headache). how can i test this amp? what speaker should i use? can i just use the speakers attached in the mini compos just for the sake of testing? i dont want to shell money for something that is defective.

i dont know about setting up an HT or something like it. just want to make use of this amp given to me if it is still in good condition. as ms. airborne03 said 80/channel and 4-8ohm impedance for this specific ONKYO model. i dont have the specification of this amp, so i dont know the capabilities of this unit. what i only have is the manual which i downloaded from the net.

if proven na it is defective, is there an ONKYO service center here where i could get it fixed?

thanks.
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2006 at 10:02 AM by p-popoy »

Offline sanmig_ph

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Guru
  • Sarap Magbago....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #341 on: Jan 09, 2006 at 01:08 PM »
guys post naman reviews nyo sa onkyo tx-sr502 ::) ::) ::)
im just wondering bakit parang kulang yung surround for ht but for music ok talaga.
TIA
He always provides!  and He always does when you least expect it!

Offline juneaki

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #342 on: Jan 11, 2006 at 12:13 PM »
guys post naman reviews nyo sa onkyo tx-sr502 ::) ::) ::)
im just wondering bakit parang kulang yung surround for ht but for music ok talaga.
TIA

I am using TX-SR501, but i believe it would be of help sharing to you my experience with thi AVR.  Like my AVR, i think yours have an option to increase the volume of surround speakers as well as the other speakers (center, left and right mains and also the s-woofer). Just perform the test tone function and adjust individually the volume of each speaker according to your wish/taste. Higit sa lahat, read your manual.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2006 at 12:20 PM by juneaki »

Offline sanmig_ph

• DVD Guru
  • Sarap Magbago....
  • Liked:
« Reply #343 on: Jan 11, 2006 at 01:31 PM »
I am using TX-SR501, but i believe it would be of help sharing to you my experience with thi AVR.  Like my AVR, i think yours have an option to increase the volume of surround speakers as well as the other speakers (center, left and right mains and also the s-woofer). Just perform the test tone function and adjust individually the volume of each speaker according to your wish/taste. Higit sa lahat, read your manual.
i already put the volume of my surround to 12db sagad na & yet bitin pa rin sa surround.
unlike yummy ang ganda ng surround.just my cents 8)
peace ;)

Offline BayagMan

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #344 on: Jan 12, 2006 at 01:11 AM »
yamaha rx450 gamit ko magaling talaga yammy sa HT kaya lng more audio kase ko kaya balaka kong kumuha ng onkyo tx-sr503... guys tanong ko lng kung ano bang pinagkaiba ng high carent sa nde high carent pagdating s audio ? napansin ko kase don s onkyo ko n int amp (100w) mas maganda tunog b&w dm303 ko  (audiophile CD) kumpara ko s yammy 450 (85w) mas labas yung bass s onkyo, don s 450 ko bitin ako s sound pagdating s music ;D

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #345 on: Jan 12, 2006 at 10:43 PM »
  already put the volume of my surround to 12db sagad na & yet bitin pa rin sa surround.
unlike yummy ang ganda ng surround.just my cents
peace 

Im using a 501 and I hate to admit na parang bitin nga sa surrounds even at max channel vol. levels. The remedy  I did was to bring the speakers closer and I found out na parang lack of surrounds output is media related.  There would be times na ingat naman ako sa levels because too much naman yung output making the sound garbled and minsan nga ganun...parang bitin, depende sa movie.  I have not yet tried any avr's before so I don't know if these findings are accurate and /or applcable to other brands as well.

Offline sanmig_ph

• DVD Guru
  • Sarap Magbago....
  • Liked:
« Reply #346 on: Jan 13, 2006 at 06:54 AM »
Im using a 501 and I hate to admit na parang bitin nga sa surrounds even at max channel vol. levels. The remedy  I did was to bring the speakers closer and I found out na parang lack of surrounds output is media related.  There would be times na ingat naman ako sa levels because too much naman yung output making the sound garbled and minsan nga ganun...parang bitin, depende sa movie.  I have not yet tried any avr's before so I don't know if these findings are accurate and /or applcable to other brands as well.
dou you think speaker wire na branded will make my surrounds vilola hindi na bitin? na audition ko kc
yummy ganda ng surrounds but not so good for music unlike onkyo.(40 series)
i think yung mga movie na less surround still you can hear it sa yummy kasi makalansing yung yummy.
na sasars kasi ko mag upgrade ng AVR para solve din ako sa TIA
fish tayo ;D

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #347 on: Jan 13, 2006 at 08:16 AM »
I guess may Yamaha AVR din will na suit your musical preferences and since sold ka na sa ikot ng Yammie, I suggest you audition some and go ahead with it. Remember, it's just the new year. ;)

Offline silent_loud21

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • trust your ears!
  • Liked:
« Reply #348 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 07:01 AM »
im ready now to buy a wharfedale speaker but until I cant decide which one to buy i have my set up txsr601 and my cht10r, guys recommend naman kayo im eying w/ the 9.2 or 9.1 plus 9cs and 9sr for surround. Also any review sa mga user ng ganitong kombo. thank you

Offline juneaki

• DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
« Reply #349 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 12:39 PM »
i already put the volume of my surround to 12db sagad na & yet bitin pa rin sa surround.
unlike yummy ang ganda ng surround.just my cents 8)
peace ;)

Or you may try other surround speakers na makalansing at may higher sensitivity of say 89db pataas.

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #350 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 12:46 PM »

a friend just replaced his old (and according to him defective amps) ONKYO TX-SV525 (same as yours airborne03) with a yamaha amp.

to cut the story short. my friend gave his ONKYO to me (along with this headache). how can i test this amp? what speaker should i use? can i just use the speakers attached in the mini compos just for the sake of testing? i dont want to shell money for something that is defective.

i dont know about setting up an HT or something like it. just want to make use of this amp given to me if it is still in good condition. as ms. airborne03 said 80/channel and 4-8ohm impedance for this specific ONKYO model. i dont have the specification of this amp, so i dont know the capabilities of this unit. what i only have is the manual which i downloaded from the net.

if proven na it is defective, is there an ONKYO service center here where i could get it fixed?

thanks.

Bro ano problem ng onkyo mo? I have the same model bought way back early 90's pa and up to this day ok pa performance nya esp sa audio. The user cranks it up 3/4 of the vol level and it can sustain it for hours.One time ko lang sya napa service,blown fuse from electrical surge.Service center before was at west ave yung pioneer service center sila din yung dealer. :)

Offline airborne03

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #351 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 07:58 PM »

thanks.

Sorry now lang I saw this. Strange to find someone with an avr exactly like mine pa. When I had my ht set-up before, I never had probs with the surround. I never use this config na kasi pangit yung watching/listening position sa room ko (my bed basically :)) in relation to the speaker positions. Anyway, yes, use what you have muna to test all the speaker connex in the back: front, rear, center and sub (if you have one). Use proper impedance nalang for all your speakers, you have 2 choices naman. Then use the Prologic Theatre to engage all 5. Also check the remote, the center and rear speakers have it's own volume control. Wala ba yung specs sa manual you downloaded? It should all be there. If you still need it pm me I have my manual pa. ;)

Have you tried connecting other components to it na? Are they all working? So far the only glitch I ever had with this happened very early on, had a part replaced sa service center sa West avenue, nandun pa yata, near sa Villman ito, across from it. After that may 10 years na 'to sa akin and still ok. :) Let me know what happens and good luck.

Offline airborne03

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #352 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 08:11 PM »
Bro ano problem ng onkyo mo? I have the same model bought way back early 90's pa and up to this day ok pa performance nya esp sa audio. The user cranks it up 3/4 of the vol level and it can sustain it for hours.One time ko lang sya napa service,blown fuse from electrical surge.Service center before was at west ave yung pioneer service center sila din yung dealer. :)

I think this is what happened to mine like 2 months non binili ko. Basta lumabas yung "Protect" ba yun sa panel kasi nga nag ka surge siguro tapos bumigay na siya. Nice to know yours is still in good working order. Believe nga ako sa brand na 'to. ;)

Offline sanmig_ph

• DVD Guru
  • Sarap Magbago....
  • Liked:
« Reply #353 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 10:38 PM »
Or you may try other surround speakers na makalansing at may higher sensitivity of say 89db pataas.
bro i already verify using kef cresta & b&w 303 both with 89db ;D
medyo bitin lang ko kasi yung iba na dvd na konti surrounds halos parang
wala ka ng marinig unlike sa yummy na avr makalansing pa rin.

Offline juneaki

• DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
« Reply #354 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 09:34 AM »
bro i already verify using kef cresta & b&w 303 both with 89db ;D
medyo bitin lang ko kasi yung iba na dvd na konti surrounds halos parang
wala ka ng marinig unlike sa yummy na avr makalansing pa rin.

I think your surrounds ay malayo sa 'yo when you're watching movie. Maybe naka-wall mount ito. If fund is not a problem with you, i suggest you buy a dedicated AVR (like yammy) for HT purposes and a separate dedicated integrated amp for music/audio listening (needs separate speakers too). Yung Onkyo mo pwede mo i-swap or i-offer for sale sa buy n sell section. Pero kung problema ang pondo, i recommend na ilapit mo na lang ang surround mo sa listening position mo. Maybe you can buy a pair of stand so that you can place it just behind you at ear level.

Yung set-up ko kasi (see HT picture galery of PDVD) sa bedroom, i positioned the left and right surround just one feet from the bed placed in a DIY stand kaya dinig na dinig ko ang surround sounds.
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2006 at 09:40 AM by juneaki »

Offline sanmig_ph

• DVD Guru
  • Sarap Magbago....
  • Liked:
« Reply #355 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 10:07 AM »
thx bro juneaki ;D actually tempted talaga ko magupgrade for yummy 750 nakasale na lang for 19.5k
budget ang problema ;D...my onkyo is ok naman for audio no problem ht lang talaga kulang.
you can see my setup also at ht gallery mga 1.5m lang layo ko sa surround. thx
peace

Offline devo

• Collector
  • life's a bitch
  • Liked:
« Reply #356 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 10:11 AM »
thx bro juneaki ;D actually tempted talaga ko magupgrade for yummy 750 nakasale na lang for 19.5k
budget ang problema ;D...my onkyo is ok naman for audio no problem ht lang talaga kulang.
you can see my setup also at ht gallery mga 1.5m lang layo ko sa surround. thx
peace
also an ONKYO user..... check mo gauge ng surround wires mo, I'm using gauge 12 generic and wharfes surrounds with I think 87db sensitivity, OK naman siya with 75% volume of the channel. might be encountering losses if you are using a thin wire for a long distance set up. hope this helps.

Offline sanmig_ph

• DVD Guru
  • Sarap Magbago....
  • Liked:
« Reply #357 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 01:14 PM »
also an ONKYO user..... check mo gauge ng surround wires mo, I'm using gauge 12 generic and wharfes surrounds with I think 87db sensitivity, OK naman siya with 75% volume of the channel. might be encountering losses if you are using a thin wire for a long distance set up. hope this helps.
thx bro eto yung last ko na susubukan kung may big difference pag 12 gauge na speaker wire.

Offline airborne03

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #358 on: Jan 20, 2006 at 11:45 PM »
Glad I found this board. I may be totally out of the loop you guys are in now but want to ask a speaker related question from the experts:

A backgrounder muna: I have an old Onkyo TX-SV525, bought it non sinaunang labas pa ng mga DSP/Dolby Pro-Logic amps pa. It's been a very reliable amp for my modest needs these past ten plus years. I used to have a full HT set-up sa start, but since occsasional lang my then watching movies on vhs and now dvd's, na pare down to the basics nalang. I have an even older pair of Cerwin Vega D-1's as my main speakers nalang. This has served me well even for my audio needs. Now I use this set-up almost everyday to play my excercise dvd's, using a Pioneer dvd player, and listen to my new wave collection from time to time. Buo naman yung audio part ko, all old components as well (Kenwood 5 cd changer, old Pioneer eq) pero works well for me. Btw I'm female that's why I use excercise dvd's. ;) I also love stereo compo's from before pa, know how to set them up, pero not to the level of expertise you guys have ha. :)

So now my q: I want to change my speakers na sana. Don't want to go all HT kasi pangit yung configuration ng room ko. Maybe add a center speaker and sub later. I used to have a Polk RM 3000 sub-sat combo as my main speakers. Want to ask what main speaker brands you'd recommend, on small budget lang ako now, mga P10K below for a pair. My Onkyo is 80W/channel, ok siya driving my 100W C-V's naman. The impedance ng amp ko is min 4-8 ohms. If I can get na 3-way speakers all the better so I can pass on a sub muna.

For now just need recommendations for brands na good match for my Onkyo. At sa mga nababasa ko dito ang dami talagang brands out there. :o I wouldn't know where to begin looking and where to even ask. I've tried asking at a  few audio places and when you're a woman asking a salesmen, they can be condescending ha, assuming na wala kang alam. Which at this point is true but why let them know! ;) So I appreciate any feedback you Onkyo guys can give me. Thanks a lot! :)

Just bought the MS Carnival C6 floorstanders today. So far so good playing music, like what I hear naman now that it's hooked up to my Onkyo. :)

Offline atomicat10

• Collector
  • SHOWTIME
  • Liked:
« Reply #359 on: Jan 21, 2006 at 12:26 AM »
how much ung carnival? is this the three way non wood cabinet floorstanders?