Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 536748 times)

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: ONKYO AVR
« Reply #1200 on: Oct 14, 2009 at 06:23 PM »
ok na po na display ko na po.

my connection is purely HDMI.. :)

good to hear. so how did you make it work? if you dont mind.  :)

Offline ayosbathere

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1201 on: Oct 14, 2009 at 10:20 PM »
good to hear. so how did you make it work? if you dont mind.  :)

in DB60 I setup the Sound into Bitstream and turn "Off" the secondary Audio

pero na pansin ko lang.. pag PCM mas buo yong sound kahit yong AVR naka MultiCH yong display lalo na pag yong BD audio has TrueHD

bakit kaya?

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1202 on: Oct 15, 2009 at 12:28 AM »
mga fellow onkyo user. i own a 606 that i got less than 4 months ago from S and S. I am very happy with it as i used to own a 604 but sold it after around 8 months only to get the 606. I have been a member of pdvd recently lang and after going thorugh threads, buy and sell and all, it has affected my love for my 606 and somehow im telling my self im not happy with 606 anymore. Need your help in putting corrections to my m indset. should i just stick to my 606 and enjoy it? Im using diamond 9.1 9cs and 9dfs. i have a 9.5 but opted to use it sa NAD brothers ko.

Salamat po sa feedbacks in advance
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1203 on: Oct 15, 2009 at 07:08 AM »
mga fellow onkyo user. i own a 606 that i got less than 4 months ago from S and S. I am very happy with it as i used to own a 604 but sold it after around 8 months only to get the 606. I have been a member of pdvd recently lang and after going thorugh threads, buy and sell and all, it has affected my love for my 606 and somehow im telling my self im not happy with 606 anymore. Need your help in putting corrections to my m indset. should i just stick to my 606 and enjoy it? Im using diamond 9.1 9cs and 9dfs. i have a 9.5 but opted to use it sa NAD brothers ko.

There are definitely a lot of AVR's whose features and performance are much better than the 606 (for example, an 875 is pretty good). Aside from just researching online, what I would do is to try to see and hear a lot of systems and for that, the best is to go to the place of a fellow Pinoydvd member.

Once you've actually experienced the equipment you're interested in and you like it, you need to ask yourself if you can afford it and if it has value for money. If the answer is yes, go for it.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #1204 on: Oct 15, 2009 at 07:20 AM »

pero na pansin ko lang.. pag PCM mas buo yong sound kahit yong AVR naka MultiCH yong display lalo na pag yong BD audio has TrueHD

bakit kaya?

ah ok. but in theory, they are just the same. the reason why lpcm (multich) registered on your avr is because its the player (in this case, bd60) that is doing the decoding of the hd audio codec (whether it be dts-hd ma or truehd). by bitstreaming the information to the receiver, you allow the receiver to do the decoding instead of the player, hence either dts-hd ma or truehd will now register on your receiver. but as i said it should essentially sound the same.

although i did read somewhere that not all audio decoding chips are made the same, so it might be possible that your bd's chip is better at decoding than the chip found in your receiver, but from the forums that i have read this, it is really debatable. but as they say its your ears that is the final judge, if its the bd60 that is decoding the better sound then go for it.  :)

Offline ravel

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1205 on: Oct 15, 2009 at 10:16 AM »

bakit kaya?

Ok, the same with the oppo bdp, you have to turn off the secondary audio. Pero it was different with my experience naman, i did hear "better audio" when the onkyo was doing the decoding. But I think it was mostly the onkyo decoding made the sound louder not really better. Do you hear the same audio quality when you increase the volume on the onkyo?

Offline ravel

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1206 on: Oct 15, 2009 at 10:23 AM »

bakit kaya?

bakit kaya?

That's good to hear bro.  So its basically the same with the oppo bdp, you have to turn off the secondary audio. Pero with regards to the audio, it was different with my experience naman, i did hear "better audio" when the onkyo was doing the decoding. But I think it was mostly the onkyo decoding made the sound louder not really better. Do you hear the same audio quality when you increase the volume on the onkyo? Unless nga, the pana bd60 has better decoders than the onkyo 607.

Offline ayosbathere

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1207 on: Oct 15, 2009 at 10:49 AM »
ah ok. but in theory, they are just the same. the reason why lpcm (multich) registered on your avr is because its the player (in this case, bd60) that is doing the decoding of the hd audio codec (whether it be dts-hd ma or truehd). by bitstreaming the information to the receiver, you allow the receiver to do the decoding instead of the player, hence either dts-hd ma or truehd will now register on your receiver. but as i said it should essentially sound the same.

although i did read somewhere that not all audio decoding chips are made the same, so it might be possible that your bd's chip is better at decoding than the chip found in your receiver, but from the forums that i have read this, it is really debatable. but as they say its your ears that is the final judge, if its the bd60 that is decoding the better sound then go for it.  :)

parang otherway around po ata.. the DB60 player say.. if you use bitstream it will throw the HD Master, DTS or the TrueHD signal. if set into PCM the AVR will do the decoding

ayan.. parang ang gulo gulo na tuloy. pag bitstream gamit ko need ko pa increase ang volume.. pero ang pansin ko lang mas pronouce yong bitstream yon nga lang medyo mahina ang dating ng audio need to increase pa volume.

pero u have a point decoding processing between BD60 & Onkyo 607 for sure magkaiba.

Offline DonT

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1208 on: Oct 15, 2009 at 11:34 AM »

Looks like you have been afflicted with a bug.  :D, Have you considered checking out other speakers as well...When I first tried my MA RS1 side by side with the WF Dia 9.1, I was quitely suprised about the significant improvement. I used only a Onkyo TX-8522 with Pio 610 for the comparison.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #1209 on: Oct 15, 2009 at 11:49 AM »

stick with what you have bro., enjoy the movies and music. ;D

have you thought it over- why you wanna "upgrade" change gears? baka naeengganyo ka lang mga nababasa at nakikita mo dito? anong features na wala ang setup mo na sa tingin mo ay kailangan para mas ma-enjoy HT? (blu-ray o dvd dbd pa rin ba ang gamit mo? ) check out the market and take a break, think things over before plunging. o hindi na ba makapaghintay ng xmas sales?  ;D ::)

Offline marvin87

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1210 on: Oct 16, 2009 at 12:34 PM »

sir onkyo606, may i know why you're doubting your 606 now? noob po ako and i've been going through a lot of threads here para magka-idea on what to buy as my first avr. i've seen some of your posts and you're a proud 606 owner (or used to be na). planning to get the 606 din kasi, and medyo natakot nyo po ako sa post nyo. hehehe. btw, if i may ask, how much was it then when you got it? thanks! :)

Offline ferdinand

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • DVD Guru
  • Trust is my virtue-enjoy life !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1211 on: Oct 17, 2009 at 06:56 AM »

Ayan ang tinatawag na SARS attack!!! just pm me if you decided to dispose your 606

Offline nogie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1212 on: Oct 17, 2009 at 07:20 AM »

palit ka rin ba ng handle pag nabenta na 606 mo?

Offline boyok

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1213 on: Oct 18, 2009 at 04:22 AM »
Dami palang members ng pdvd na nasa Saudi...mabuhay kyo mga sadiq! ex-saudi din po ako Riyadh.

Sori mga sir makisingit lang po, magtatanong lang bukas pa ba iyong shop sa ilalim ng telemoney building at iyong bagong building sa likod nito that sells Onkyo and Jamo? If i remember it right meron din high-end shop sa Shoala at Al-Akharia...mga dating tambayan ko between yr. 1998-2005. Sori sir kung OT.

Good day, Kabayans.  Nice to read na marami pala kayo dito sa Saudi & GCC.  I'm temporarily stationed in Batha, Riyadh until Dec 09.

It's my first time to post sa pinoyDVD after so many years.  I was looking for reviews of the Onkyo AVRs and Jamo Concert speakers.  Dropped by the aDawliah in Electron several days ago and was given a demo by the staff.  Parang magka-kabsa na ko till December  ;D

Best regards to all.  Hope to see you and your setups soon.  God bless.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1214 on: Oct 20, 2009 at 12:59 AM »
ngayon lang poa koa nakabasa ulit sa mga sumagot sa aking post maraming salamat po censya na at di ko alam kung pano yung copy and paste yung post nyo tapos sagot ako sa ilalim.

i guess its a matter of going with the tide. I must admit the gallery affected my mindset but all is well now. im just enjoying posting because more than the reply, its the new friends i get to have that makes me happy. dun po sa natakot to get the onkyo 606, please dont be. the reason lang why im getting pickle minded is that i get to see set up with 875B or perhaps 906 and other higher m odel. these surely will dwarf3 my 606 but comparing my 32K 606 to a perhaps more than 70K higer model, im sure they would sound better.

if theres any value id like to keep with knowing folks here, i get to know there are so many cheap and sometimes free ways of tweaking and getting the most out of your set up. i made adjustment on how i placed my speakers, i boughta sabre stand for my 9.1, i set my sub crossover to 160 hz, i re oriented the placement and there it goes, everything sounded up so good as in it seems it has gotten better.

i woudl like to liken my affair with my onkyo 606 to a husband who got tempted to be looking at other pretty ladies and realized no one can be better than his wife. its all about enjoying what i currently have  and thats whta doing now.

thanks a lot to those who have provided proper guidance and pointers to me.

kay sir ojofool, he has been at it with me, almost every night, we PM each other and so is john e. thye have both advised me strongly and told me, you have a very nice set up stick to it and enjoy unless you have money to spare.

i ask sir ojofool for a pic of his set up and showed me something like a coke in can and a speaker than i cant even visualize, that brought me to big realization, its always a matter of ejoying your set up

i dont know  how it is but im giving plus 1 ba yun to everyone who responded to my post.

censya na po sa mga naguluhan sa akin.

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #1215 on: Oct 20, 2009 at 02:49 AM »
 ;) bro another free tweak is to try to change the jumper cables of your 9.1,  you can try experimenting with replacing them with good speaker cables and check for improvements. i changed my stock to a silver coated speaker wire.
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1216 on: Oct 20, 2009 at 07:40 AM »
i woudl like to liken my affair with my onkyo 606 to a husband who got tempted to be looking at other pretty ladies and realized no one can be better than his wife. its all about enjoying what i currently have  and thats whta doing now.

D naman. Siguro tama lang yan kung Muslim ka at pwedeng dami ka wife.  ;D ;D

Cheers!  :)
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline nogie

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1217 on: Oct 21, 2009 at 06:57 PM »
Here's my non-expert advise in choosing a receiver.

Choose the model with more power as much as possible. If you have money to buy a brand new 607, why not look for an alternative like buying a pre-owned 805 at the same price. As per experience with receivers of different brands & models, lower-end models equipped w/ new technologies DOES NOT EQUATE the power of higher-end older models. Lets put it this way, I have this Denon 789/1909 that can internally decode lossless codecs, the quality of sound it produces cannot beat the Marantz SR6001, Denon 3806, Yamaha 1700, HK 347, Onkyo 804 & the non-HDMI HK 635. Though negligible difference vs. the Denon 887. It is good to see the receiver displaying " Dolby TruHD, DTS MA" whenever you play lossless codecs but thats just it. Of course it's totally different story if you have the extra money to buy high-end new models like the Denon 3310, Onkyo 876. Please note that I am not giving this advise because i have receivers for sale at the marketplace. You can look around, visit reputable distributors here in the Philippines and ask (better if you compare side-by side)for older but higher end models. Iwasan na ang SARS ngayong 2010, Iba na ang usong sakit ngayon.
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2009 at 07:33 PM by nogie »

Offline ayosbathere

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1218 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 11:24 AM »
Here's my non-expert advise in choosing a receiver.

Choose the model with more power as much as possible. If you have money to buy a brand new 607, why not look for an alternative like buying a pre-owned 805 at the same price. As per experience with receivers of different brands & models, lower-end models equipped w/ new technologies DOES NOT EQUATE the power of higher-end older models. Lets put it this way, I have this Denon 789/1909 that can internally decode lossless codecs, the quality of sound it produces cannot beat the Marantz SR6001, Denon 3806, Yamaha 1700, HK 347, Onkyo 804 & the non-HDMI HK 635. Though negligible difference vs. the Denon 887. It is good to see the receiver displaying " Dolby TruHD, DTS MA" whenever you play lossless codecs but thats just it. Of course it's totally different story if you have the extra money to buy high-end new models like the Denon 3310, Onkyo 876. Please note that I am not giving this advise because i have receivers for sale at the marketplace. You can look around, visit reputable distributors here in the Philippines and ask (better if you compare side-by side)for older but higher end models. Iwasan na ang SARS ngayong 2010, Iba na ang usong sakit ngayon.

bakit ngayon nyo lang po na share yong non-expert advice nyo po.. tuloy naka kuha na ako ng 607. Well so far tamang tama lang naman sa level ng pandinig ko ang 607 @35hz music & @ 48hz HT ;)

Offline nogie

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1219 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 11:35 AM »
bakit ngayon nyo lang po na share yong non-expert advice nyo po.. tuloy naka kuha na ako ng 607. Well so far tamang tama lang naman sa level ng pandinig ko ang 607 @35hz music & @ 48hz HT ;)

That's nice to hear... Iwasan mo lang mag-audition ng higher models pag happy ka na sa 607... Baka lang mahawaan ka ng SARS. ;D

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #1220 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 11:36 AM »

look lang naman, no touch. (audition lang).

pero as sir streetsmart said, kung muslim ka pwede apat na asawa, basta parehas ang treatment mo sa lahat. (iba-ibang setup- pang ht, audio, pc)

the best, better stick to one....at a time (for now?)

enjoy! ;D

Offline simonzaide

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • "anything is possible"
  • Liked:
« Reply #1221 on: Oct 22, 2009 at 05:40 PM »
hi

im close to acquiring a onkyo 705 and while reading the specs yesterday i saw that it has a phono input
do any of you guys connect your turntable to your onkyo and how does it sound ?

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1222 on: Oct 23, 2009 at 03:20 AM »
the 606 stays in my room as of the moment, next thing i would do is apply the tweak that joh e advised me to do. i dont have 55K to get and 875 hahahahaha.

kaya tama ka sir ojo, stick to one.......... for now ;D

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #1223 on: Nov 04, 2009 at 10:05 PM »
Onkyo 607 not bad ah, mura pa. ;)

Offline keema

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1224 on: Nov 07, 2009 at 12:26 AM »
hi mga sirs! :)

just want to ask anyone beside google about this amp that i've seen ...Onkyo TX-DS989..magandang receiver po ba toh? i know hindi sya future proof pero ano lang po sa tingin nyo mga sirs?

salamat po..:)

Offline javauser

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1225 on: Nov 27, 2009 at 12:06 AM »
what's the best place to go so i can compare different onkyo receivers?
Optoma HD33
Denon AVR-X4000
KEF R500
KEF R200C
KEF R100
KEF LS50
SVS PB12NSD
www.activelearning.ph

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1226 on: Nov 27, 2009 at 02:07 AM »
there are a lot who carries ONKYO. In PDVD you have DOM, Sights and Sounds, Theaterworks.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1227 on: Nov 27, 2009 at 02:07 AM »
just waiting for my new receiver, ONKYO HT RC180

Online Verbl Kint